Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2011, 12:08   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to avoid road rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
One 25 kg guy once started rolling up his sleeves to try and assault me. I had to slap him on his face. It reverberated for at least a km away. He didn't know what hit him for about 30 odd seconds and staggered around and then started crying. I got in the car and drove off.
25kg guy ? Are you sure it was not a chicken or a turkey ? LOL.

These kind of things are happening too often to ignore. The incident with Karuna Rao is unbelievable. Does this have anything to do with the rich/poor divide widening all the time ?
Old 1st December 2011, 12:31   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
25kg guy ? Are you sure it was not a chicken or a turkey ? LOL.

These kind of things are happening too often to ignore. The incident with Karuna Rao is unbelievable. Does this have anything to do with the rich/poor divide widening all the time ?
I am not too sure about rich-poor divide and I do not think a guy having a pulsar or any other bike is any poor.

I think it is to do with movies and mass media (reality shows where two people fighting is shown as if it is some epic). Specially where I belong, movies are made in such a way that a guy who hits first is the hero. The hero does not wear helmet, talks on his cellphone while riding and hits anyone at slightest provocation. Jeez! I am 29 and I am talking like I am 49 or something! But still!
Old 1st December 2011, 12:33   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Does this have anything to do with the rich/poor divide widening all the time ?
I have a very strong feeling that it does. And will only increase in future.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 12:34   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Specially where I belong, movies are made in such a way that a guy who hits first is the hero. The hero does not wear helmet, talks on his cellphone while riding and hits anyone at slightest provocation. Jeez! I am 29 and I am talking like I am 49 or something! But still!
LOLz. From where I come from, the hero takes a lot of pounding first, it is when he starts to bleed that he starts pounding the bad guy. I think these guys are trying to be the bad guys, not the heroes. Someone should give them back in their own coin.
Old 5th December 2011, 19:11   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
A classic example of road rage -

https://www.facebook.com/notes/karun...98124546874667

Words of Karuna Rao from Facebook -
Just happened to see this report on the Karuna Rao incident.

Traffic cop held in road rage case - The Times of India

Quote:
Traffic cop held in road rage case

TNN | Dec 2, 2011, 06.15AM IST MUMBAI: The MIDC police on Thursday arrested a 32-year-old traffic police constable for allegedly assaulting and outraging the modesty of a woman in a case of road rage near the Akruti City signal in Andheri (E) around 8pm on November 16.

Karuna Rao, a business analyst with a private firm at Seepz, was driving to her Dindoshi residence when the incident occurred. "I didn't go to office for 10 days after the incident due to fear. It is the route I take daily to office. My seniors allowed me to work from home," Rao told TOI on Thursday.

She claimed that Sanjay Gawde, a traffic policeman attached to the Tardeo division, was speeding on his motorcycle when he brushed past her car and got into a fight with her. Rao on Thursday went to the police station to identify Gawde, but he had left by the time she reached . She has been called again on Friday.

Rao said in her complaint, "The biker turned when his vehicle brushed past my car. He abused me and was not ready to move despite the signal turning green. He smashed my vehicle's windscreen and kicked the front portion."

On seeing her step out, she alleged that he charged at her, assaulted her and misbehaved. "He was riding the motorcycle in an inebriated condition and it had a police logo on the number plate," she said. "He hit me on my face and shoulders when Itried to protest. He abandoned his motorcycle and fled from the spot on seeing the locals gathering."

The police, she said, claimed that the bike had been registered with a fake name and address and had denied that the accused was a cop.

She also said the police were uncooperative, only lodged a non-cognizable offence and refused to take her for the mandatory checkup. "I whad to do it on my own at Cooper hospital."

Rao said the police did not book the cop for drunk-driving but under sections 323 (voluntarily causing hurt), 354 (outrage of modesty of a woman) and 427 (mischief causing damage) of the Indian Penal Code.

Gawde claimed he was rushing home to take his month-and-a-half-old son, who was seriously ill, to hospital. "The woman tried to overtake me. When she did not get space, she got annoyed. She stepped out of her car and got into a fight with me. I left the spot, leaving my vehicle behind, as I was worried about my son and did not want to argue with the woman."

Deputy commissioner of police (zone X) Dr Suhas Warke said, "Rao complained that Gawde misbehaved with her and assaulted her on the road. It is too late to comment if Gawde was drunk as the incident occurred on November 16. Gawde's address, traced through the RTO turned out to be false. He is a resident of the police quarters in MIDC." Gawde has not reported for duty for four months, but Warke said he was unaware about that. MIDC senior inspector S L Hujband said action will be taken against Gawde, who was produced before court on Thursday but was released on bail.
Old 5th December 2011, 21:55   #201
Senior - BHPian

I almost had an incident today but held onto my nerves or that taxi driver would have had a thrashing.

It was 9:30 AM, was coming from a friend's house in my Fiat Linea patiently waiting at a traffic signal for light to go green as i wanted to take a U turn, the signal for the right turn opened and for the opposite side turned red, i was half way through the u turn when i saw a white Ambassador charging at me full speed with no respect to for the traffic light , i thought he will stop but no he had other plans, i stopped in the middle and that moron swerved past me missing my car by inches, stared at me and abusded me.

I took the u turn, floored the accelerator and went behind him, flashed lights and honked for him to stop, i knew there was a traffic light just 400 mtrs ahead and to my luck it was red, he had to stop, i was about to call the cops as i feared he might be drunk and could hit some other 2 wheeler the way he was driving. Parked the car in front of him in a way there was no space for him to escape and stepped outside, calmy asked him to open the window.

Seeing this the traffic constable came up and i explained him everything about jumping a light and almost hitting me, that taxi driver was definitely drunk, eyes half shut, the police guy dragged him out of the car and i almost felt like slapping him, the constable said thanks to me and asked me to leave, i had already informed 100 by then.

I wonder how people can be so irresponsible that they drink n drive with no regards to others safety, i would have been badly injured and my car a total loss with a Amby hitting a sedan at 80-90.

I think may be i did wrong by trying to catch up and stop him but am happy i did or else that drunk driver would have had definitely hit some one, some poor biker or scooterist going to work.
Old 5th December 2011, 22:15   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
I almost had an incident today but held onto my nerves or that taxi driver would have had a thrashing.

It was 9:30 AM, was coming from a friend's house in my Fiat Linea patiently waiting at a traffic signal for light to go green as i wanted to take a U turn, the signal for the right turn opened and for the opposite side turned red, i was half way through the u turn when i saw a white Ambassador charging at me full speed with no respect to for the traffic light , i thought he will stop but no he had other plans, i stopped in the middle and that moron swerved past me missing my car by inches, stared at me and abusded me.

I took the u turn, floored the accelerator and went behind him, flashed lights and honked for him to stop, i knew there was a traffic light just 400 mtrs ahead and to my luck it was red, he had to stop, i was about to call the cops as i feared he might be drunk and could hit some other 2 wheeler the way he was driving. Parked the car in front of him in a way there was no space for him to escape and stepped outside, calmy asked him to open the window.

Seeing this the traffic constable came up and i explained him everything about jumping a light and almost hitting me, that taxi driver was definitely drunk, eyes half shut, the police guy dragged him out of the car and i almost felt like slapping him, the constable said thanks to me and asked me to leave, i had already informed 100 by then.

I wonder how people can be so irresponsible that they drink n drive with no regards to others safety, i would have been badly injured and my car a total loss with a Amby hitting a sedan at 80-90.

I think may be i did wrong by trying to catch up and stop him but am happy i did or else that drunk driver would have had definitely hit some one, some poor biker or scooterist going to work.
Consider yourself lucky,never mess around with taxi guys,they have a really strong network,and many of them indulge in anti social activities.
It takes only a few minutes for them to gather up-i have been there done that.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 22:21   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Consider yourself lucky,never mess around with taxi guys,they have a really strong network,and many of them indulge in anti social activities.
It takes only a few minutes for them to gather up-i have been there done that.
Agree, i dont indulge in this beating game even if some one nicks my car as these days people carry guns and baseball bats so its really not worth it, if the other party is calmly talking why be rude but that Amby almost hit my car at such a high speed, wonder some poor scooter or motorcyclist taking a u turn and not seeing him, my instinct just asked me to try and get him to stop before he runs over some one.

I just called the police and hope they would have handled him instead of taking some money and letting him go, i was a km away from my home, it was morning and that taxi was HR no so i felt safe
Old 5th December 2011, 23:08   #204
Senior - BHPian

How to avoid road rage: practice yoga & float above traffic or take the public transport, instead of taking your car/bike out or drive what Pierce Brosnan drives out on the streets of
Mockba in 'Golden Eye' to get right of way. I think HH Ravi Shankar can make a killing by having a special edition of "Art of Living: One for the Road" and franchise it.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 5th December 2011 at 23:22.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 23:09   #205
Senior - BHPian

The epitome of Road Rage. I hope it doesn't get any worser than this. While i agree its the Swift driver's fault, the behavior of the motorcyclist is barbaric!

I don't think there are many options, but what would you have done had you been the swift driver ?

Last edited by shashank.nk : 10th December 2011 at 23:11.
Old 10th December 2011, 23:21   #206
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
The epitome of Road Rage. I hope it doesn't get any worser than this. While i agree its the Swift driver's fault, the behavior of the motorcyclist is barbaric!

I don't think there are many options, but what would you have done had you been the swift driver ?
If I would have been in the position of the Swift driver.
1. I would never get out of the car irrespective of the provocation.
2. Would have noted down the bike-number and lodged a complaint against the biker for assault and property damage.
Old 10th December 2011, 23:25   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
1. Open the driver's side door with all my might when the bike guy approaches - my door hits him from the front and he falls on to the auto - maybe repeat when he attempts to get up - and then land a few punches of my own; Or
2. Stay in the car. Take all the abuse. Then file a case against the bike guy for attempted murder. I will also accuse that he deliberately braked in front of my car to make me stop so that he can make an attempt on my life.

2 is more likely because there is more chance of bodily harm with 1

Last edited by StarrySky : 10th December 2011 at 23:26.
Old 10th December 2011, 23:38   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
If I would have been in the position of the Swift driver.
1. I would never get out of the car irrespective of the provocation.
2. Would have noted down the bike-number and lodged a complaint against the biker for assault and property damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
2. Stay in the car. Take all the abuse. Then file a case against the bike guy for attempted murder. I will also accuse that he deliberately braked in front of my car to make me stop so that he can make an attempt on my life.

2 is more likely because there is more chance of bodily harm with 1
I read an article in Bangalore mirror about this accident, the motorcyclist assaults the driver once he steps out of the car, later the car driver didn't file a case against the motorcyclist.

So given the situation, its best not to get out of the car no matter the provocation by the rider or the on-lookers.
Old 7th April 2012, 21:33   #209
BHPian

Help with road rage

I was afflicted by road rage recently during my drive from Cochin to Coimbatore. I was not the one displaying road rage, but it affected me none the same.

At about 1730 hrs, approx 15-20 km into Pallakad, a couple of guys came up alongside me on a bike as I was cruising in my car about 80 kmph on the highway. The bike came really close and the guy sitting behind made some obscene gestures at me. I was travelling with family (wife and two kids of impressionable ages) and did not want to get into an altercation. I tried to wave them off. The guys accelerated ahead off me and gestured to come off to the roadside and stop. The biker started putting on his brakes and came real close ahead off me, leaving me no space but to slow down. I also saw the the rear guy trying to look at the regn number.

Traffic was sparse on that particular stretch.With sunset approaching and the family travelling with me, I had no plans to slow down or stop anywhere. So I deftly avoided them and sped away. The guys again started chasing me and started honking incessantly to garner attention. The few riders/ drivers on the road also started wondering what is going on. Twice the bikers came ahead and tried to block my passage.

The weather started taking a turn for the worse, with a sudden drizzle starting up. My mind was made up now. There was just no way that I would stop in bad weather. I decided to speed away. Just then, the skies burst into heavy downpour. I was getting really worried that I should not have an engine stall or a puncture, or any other reason that would cause me to slow down or stop.

In the heavy downpour, the bikers decided to give up the chase. I did not let the opportunity go by. As I sped away towards the Kerala - Tamilnadu border, the traffic started getting dense, and I was getting worried that these chaps might close the gap between us. Anyway, nothing untoward happened thereafter and we reached our destination safe, though it left my wife shaken a bit.

Fellow BHP-ians, I ask you for advice - what would you do in this situation? Istill don't know what was bothering the bikers. Also, I would soon be heading back on the same route. What precautions should I take?

Thanks in advance.

Mods- kindly post

Last edited by 220kmph : 7th April 2012 at 21:36.
Old 7th April 2012, 23:42   #210
Team-BHP Support

Re: Help with road rage

Firstly, I'm glad that you did not stop just because these fellows were trying to flag you down. It's the worst thing to do.

Also, I think they were trying to pull a fast one on you and your family.

I've heard of instances where people on bikes flag down cars on deserted roads, so that they can force an altercation and squeeze some money out of you. They would first claim that you were responsible for some accident and that you will have to pay them some amount. At which point they'd force you to the nearest ATM and empty your bank-balance at knife-point and probably even make away with your car and your belongings.

What you should do?

Trust your instincts. And don't look back. If someone is trying to stop you, there is no reason to stop. You are on the highway with your family. Why should you stop just because some random bike fellow is instructing you to?

What you did is the right thing. Just speed away and ignore them.

Take precautionary measures too.

Carry a baseball bat, or a can of mace (pepper-spray) at all times.

And remember, your strongest weapon is your car. If you are inside your car, you have the upper hand. The moment they get you out of your car, you're in trouble. Unless you've got a secret-agent, Rajini-style, thrashing-the-bad-guys plan up your sleeve.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th April 2012 at 01:53.
suhaas307 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed