Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2014, 14:00   #151
D4D
BHPian

Re: What's your technique while driving uphill ??

Starting from an incline is a thing many Indian drivers and RTO get wrong. They will not clear your in your DL test in the RTO if you don't slip the clutch while starting on an incline.
Best method: Engage the handbrake and start as you would normally giving slightly more gas than usual. Release handbrake when you are sure that the car will move.(figured out by experience)
D4D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2014, 15:05   #152
Senior - BHPian

Surprised to hear RTO conducts a special test for this skill.
I almost never use the handbrake and have always been able to get going by slipping the clutch. After three cars and around 1.5L kms I think it can be done without burning the clutch. However if you can find an easier alternative without relying only on slipping the clutch that would be better.
Old 13th May 2014, 10:03   #153
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
I use the handbrake almost always from a stop and stand position.

However I still tend to have anxiety 'before' the whole act begins, once in the act I am fine. I am not sure how to get rid of it.
Keep practising in real time to get a hang of the whole act till your comfortable. Frequent hill starts will build up your confidence so further on the anxiety will go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
However if you can find an easier alternative without relying only on slipping the clutch that would be better.
The handbrake method is the safest but what if - the clutch pedal is released simultaneously the accelerator pedal is pressed (this pair of action needs to be done fast and in coordination to prevent stalling) should get the car moving forward without rolling back.

Anurag.
Old 13th May 2014, 10:17   #154
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
Starting from an incline is a thing many Indian drivers and RTO get wrong. They will not clear your in your DL test in the RTO if you don't slip the clutch while starting on an incline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Surprised to hear RTO conducts a special test for this skill.
Unfortunately, both driving school instructors and RTO inspectors are not aware for the correct practice. Most of us figure it out much later, either through another driver or when taking DL test abroad.

I blissfully used the clutch-slipping for years in the 90s before I found out I was so wrong. Only after the clutch failed in my M800 at 6000kms I learned the right technique.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 16:13   #155
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Most of us figure it out much later, either through another driver or when taking DL test abroad.
My dad, who has extensively driven through USA, Canada, South Africa, China and Singapore taught me this first after this I basic clutch control.

He's still not able to convince my mom to use this technique. So he does not allow her to drive in ghats.
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 14:10   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
It is one of my biggest fear on a hill. And who would teach the buses and lorries ramming down with great speed, while you are trying to go up?

I use the handbrake almost always from a stop and stand position.

However I still tend to have anxiety 'before' the whole act begins, once in the act I am fine. I am not sure how to get rid of it.
Most of the drivers of commercial vehicles who drive in hills, have the courtesy of allowing those coming uphill a precedence. It is mostly drivers from plains who drive rashly in hills and misbehave.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 23:40   #157
BHPian

Bumping this thread since I have few queries related to TCed engines in hills.

Since many here mentioned that the Diesel engines in Swift, i20 etc. struggle due to Turbo lag, how do the (near)zero lag units in the Figo, Pulse etc. feel in steep hills? Does the Punto climb better than Swift due to its shorter initial gears?
Also, how do the T-Jet, TSi and the Eco-Boost perform when starting from steep hills?

I have never driven a diesel in steep hills and have never driven a turbo petrol in my life. Hence would like to know more about the above things. Thanks.

Last edited by theredliner : 13th August 2014 at 23:43.
Old 15th August 2014, 21:57   #158
BHPian

I have never used handbrake, what I do is just use my right foot to manage both accelerator and brake pedal by twisting it and the moment the clutch reaches the point where the car starts making a move, release the brake pedal totally and accelerate forward.
Old 16th August 2014, 12:20   #159
BHPian

I grew up in a hill - Kodaikanal. Though clutch control was important - without the handbrake the clutch wears off really fast. I ensured that I always check if the handbrake worked properly by checking on an incline.There were some really steep inclines in kodaikanal - I was also taught that never change the gears in the middle of an incline(steep) and have never done that. I usually kept it in 1st gear.
Catalyst_delhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2015, 00:00   #160

Re: Driving all four wheels: how is it done?

Hey, new to rear wheel drive vehicles here, learning with my gypsy ! Well I have a question regarding driving on slopes. I faced this issue when driving the gypsy up the ghats to Lavasa. It goes all well if I have decent momentum and I'm able to go on in 2nd -3rd. However if for some reason I have to stop mid way up a steep incline, once I start again and pull up in 1st, as soon as I move to second she starts loosing power and I have to drop down to first again, and as I reach a slightly less steep slope I can go to second, and then move on. This issue doesn't happen if I already have some momentum. And also did not happen when I tried with 4h engaged. But I can't even really put much in 1st as after a point 10-15 km/hr, a shrill frilly noise starts coming and I have to move a gear higher.

I am confused if this is normal when driving a gypsy, we were just two of us. I read many threads on rwd vs fwd and also hill driving here, but they mostly explain loss of power due to loss of traction, however I don't experience power loss in 1st .. Only once I shift upwards.

And on a note, the check engine light is on currently awaiting the o2 sensor to get shipped, and I also try to be a gently when changing gears because switching gears too fast results in a knock sound.

Many people and a garage mech i spoke to say its normal, but doesnt feel so, my friends wagon r and swift never felt this way.. Please guide!!
Old 30th June 2015, 00:38   #161
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driving all four wheels: how is it done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny21 View Post
Hey, new to rear wheel drive vehicles here, learning with my gypsy ! Well I have a question regarding driving on slopes. I faced this issue when driving the gypsy up the ghats to Lavasa. It goes all well if I have decent momentum and I'm able to go on in 2nd -3rd. However if for some reason I have to stop mid way up a steep incline, once I start again and pull up in 1st, as soon as I move to second she starts loosing power and I have to drop down to first again, and as I reach a slightly less steep slope I can go to second, and then move on. This issue doesn't happen if I already have some momentum. And also did not happen when I tried with 4h engaged. But I can't even really put much in 1st as after a point 10-15 km/hr, a shrill frilly noise starts coming and I have to move a gear higher.

I am confused if this is normal when driving a gypsy, we were just two of us. I read many threads on rwd vs fwd and also hill driving here, but they mostly explain loss of power due to loss of traction, however I don't experience power loss in 1st .. Only once I shift upwards.

And on a note, the check engine light is on currently awaiting the o2 sensor to get shipped, and I also try to be a gently when changing gears because switching gears too fast results in a knock sound.

Many people and a garage mech i spoke to say its normal, but doesnt feel so, my friends wagon r and swift never felt this way.. Please guide!!

Assuming, since you have a check engine light, you have a MPFI Gypsy King. What is the state of the engine. I gather there is a faulty lambda sensor, but how's everything else? Compression? Clutch?
Old 6th October 2017, 16:37   #162

I have a Wagon R AX 2008 model, 3 speed automatic gearbox. It's not able to climb up the parking ramp if we stop midway. If we don't stop and continue to accelerate from the flat surface, it climbs in gear 2 (not D or L). What am I doing wrong here or is it the car's fault? there are 3 people in car.
Old 12th March 2018, 14:23   #163
BHPian

Re: What's your technique when driving uphill?

What they teach in driving schools in the Gulf (I learnt while attempting to obtain a DL in Oman), is to apply handbrake, engage first gear, slowly rev up to around 1500 rpm, and when the car wants to leap forward, slowly release the handbrake and let the car move forward. So its a sync between handbrake, clutch and accelerator. If the car rolls back or the wheel spins, it would be considered a failed attempt. So every learner has to look for that sweet spot.
skchettry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 12:06   #164
Senior - BHPian

1. Evaluate the gradient before you start the climb from the plains. This does not mean you have to stop, get down and peer at the hill! Merely a studied glance will help you understand how steep the incline is.

2. Understand your car and its limitations especially low end tractability / driveability. For example an Esteem with its tall gearing and tepid mid range needs to be in a gear lower than compared to say a crude Tata Sumo 3.0Litre D.I. with oodles of low end torque.

3. Based on Point - 2, choose your "climbing gear".

4. Remember, if you are driving a manual transmission car, please treat the clutch as a switch: Its "ON" or "OFF". Restrict temptation to slip the clutch. A fried clutch lining is the last thing you need at altitudes!

5. Never ever shift / change gears mid-bend/mid-hairpin. Before approaching a hairpin, SHIFT down and take the curve in one smooth motion under steady throttle, which keeps the engine in the meat of the powerband. (People who have driven up Pankhabari Road in Darjeeling district in column-shift Ye Ole Ambassadors will understand what I mean)

6. When climbing steep slopes, keep an eye out and above for vehicles coming down. Chances are if you spot a descending vehicle in advance you can "line-up" your "climbing vehicle" more appropriately along the road, yet maintain a smooth momentum.

7. Climbing gradients at night, use dip beams as the main beams will only throw the light beam off the cliff
arjab is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 12:19   #165
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
If you drive your vehicle in Shillong, you need to learn to paddle because without it, you will bang the vehicle behind you. We live in a place where its hilly and slopes all over
Saw this everywhere in Shillong with the ever gracious Sumit giving me company. I was always doing this and my doubts went away that day.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks