Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2014, 23:29   #136
BHPian

Experts: what would you suggest for Fortuner Automatic? I recently took Simba (my Fortuner Automatic) to Sonapani - about 2 hours ahead of Nainital. While the roads are good, I did not encounter any steep climb. There was one but Simba managed effortlessly.

Unlike a vehicle with a clutch, brake and accelerator - I only have the brake and accelerator. :(
I so miss being able to change gears and push the vehicle in the hills.

I am planning a trip to the fabled land - Leh in September. Any guidance on steep uphill drive is sincerely welcome.

--
Nayak // Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
Old 17th April 2014, 11:12   #137
BHPian

Re: What's your technique while driving uphill ??

My 2 cents on this:

Put the Hand Break while in stop position. When ready to move, press the brake fully with Right Foot, release the Hand Brake then come to Half Clutch and slowly release the Right Foot while gradually releasing the Clutch. Then shift to 2nd Gear and press on Gas Pedal. I use Gas in 1st Gear only when its too steep an incline. Luckily, zero rollbacks till now.

I drive a Polo GT TDI. I used to struggle with my sister's A-Star though.
Old 18th April 2014, 09:44   #138

I am relatively new to driving and hence might need a little correction here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Hmm, not sure I understand this at all. Why do you need to half clutch to move the vehicle initially? And how do you avoid switching pedal? Don't you press the brakes with your right foot while engaging 1st gear, and then move that foot to the A-pedal?
I meant that the car is on a slope, standing still because of (let's say) traffic. I am pressing down the clutch and brake. Now I apply a half-clutch, take my foot off the brake and the vehicle moves in first gear. If the slope is too steep, then a little acceleration will give the required push to keep the car going.
Old 18th April 2014, 21:41   #139
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJIT R KANALE View Post
I am relatively new to driving and hence might need a little correction here and there.

I meant that the car is on a slope, standing still because of (let's say) traffic. I am pressing down the clutch and brake. Now I apply a half-clutch, take my foot off the brake and the vehicle moves in first gear. If the slope is too steep, then a little acceleration will give the required push to keep the car going.
I understood the point your trying to make here. The half clutch will act as a 'brake' so that the car doesn't roll back in traffic tool your right leg goes into the accelerator pedal and moved the car naturally forward. Am I right?

But,

This will fry your clutch if done regularly. Instead of doing half-clutch use the handbrake. Best to save the transmission than spoil it.

Quoting a post by Thad E Ginathom Sir on how to start in such cases and on hill start and to avoid half clutch.

Quote:
[*]Handbrake should be on.
[*]Depress clutch pedal
[*]Pull up handbrake and depress ratchet button to release, but keep pulled up.
[*]Give acceleration (how much depends on slope; experience only is the teacher)
[*]Bring clutch pedal up to clutch 'biting point'
[*]You will see the front of the car rise slightly.
[*]at the same time: Release brake fully; release clutch pedal fully but gently; adjust gas as necessary.

--- Car moves off nicely
Try this once and you will know the difference.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 18th April 2014 at 21:45.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 13:30   #140
Senior - BHPian

Regarding the low end torque of diesel engines.

The modern diesels are designed for lower torque and HP to reduce the fuel consumption. The turbo gives additional torque and power at higher RPM, so that the diesels can achieve high speeds. The older DI and IDI engines had tremendous torque at the low RPM, so that you could start a fully laden truck on a steep slope. So if you want low end grunt use the older design diesels. The modern ones are good for high speed travel, but fail miserably while crawling.

This is one of the reasons that many manufacturers of 4x4 vehicles have two line of engines - a modern Turbocharged engine good enough for high speed highway runs, and a higher CC non turbo engine for the low end grunt work.
Old 22nd April 2014, 13:45   #141
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The modern ones are good for high speed travel, but fail miserably while crawling.
I disagree with you here (No offence).

The modern day diesels are equally good in crawling and on high speed runs.

The low-end torque is good enough for both bumper-to-bumper traffic and spirited runs.

Anurag.
Old 22nd April 2014, 14:45   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

The low-end torque is good enough for both bumper-to-bumper traffic and spirited runs.

Anurag.
Convince people who are burning their clutches while negotiating muddy stretches or starting on a slope. It is acknowledged that the older Scorpio engine had much more low end grunt compared to the MHawk. Similarly where the Thar's powerful engine will stall, the older puny 40-60HP IDI engines just plow through.

In reality the reason for the popularity of the American Jeeps 6 cylinder petrol engine is its massive low end torque, some thing which only lower HP older diesels could rival.
Old 25th April 2014, 21:24   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Anurag.
Couldn't disagree more with your statement.
Clearly, you have not experienced the joy of the diesels of yore!
Old 8th May 2014, 13:53   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Couldn't disagree more with your statement.
Clearly, you have not experienced the joy of the diesels of yore!
I totally agree. You have to see the number of modern diesel SUV who burn their clutches trying to climb up mud streaked slopes.
Old 8th May 2014, 14:17   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The modern day diesels are equally good in crawling and on high speed runs. The low-end torque is good enough for both bumper-to-bumper traffic and spirited runs.
The low-end torque might be good enough for bumper-to-bumper traffic on flat city roads. But try launching it up a slope (like on ghats) when you're below the turbo zone: the engine can't send through usable torque there. You need to slip the clutch to get the engine to higher revs and the turbo zone.

That's the point the others are making - TC engines (diesel or petrol) are weaker than NA below the turbo zone.
Old 8th May 2014, 14:36   #146

I was lived in in Shimla till I was 24 years old, so learnt all my driving in the hills. I was taught several techniques for uphill starts in including cross pedaling. Eventually I became more comfortable with quickly switching the pedals before the car had a chance to start rolling backwards. On very steep inclines I took the assistance of handbrake.

There are very few hills where I drive now and when needed the hill start assist on my car pitches in.
Old 9th May 2014, 23:57   #147
BHPian

For me if the slope is gentle I use half clutch as engaging the hand brake and disengaging it takes lot of effort however on a steep slope I feel more confident of using the hand brake hence don't mind putting the extra effort. But that's just me don't know if it's right or wrong.
Old 10th May 2014, 00:05   #148
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgupta View Post
For me if the slope is gentle I use half clutch as engaging the hand brake and disengaging it takes lot of effort however on a steep slope I feel more confident of using the hand brake hence don't mind putting the extra effort. But that's just me don't know if it's right or wrong.
Always good to use handbrake for Hill starts as it doesn't burn the clutch but half-clutching is dangerous. Try and decrease the usage of half-clutching.

Anurag.
Old 12th May 2014, 11:55   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Always good to use handbrake for Hill starts as it doesn't burn the clutch but half-clutching is dangerous. Try and decrease the usage of half-clutching.

Anurag.
Also if you falter on a steep slope, the car may start rolling down and by the time you recover you may be in a soup.
Old 12th May 2014, 13:45   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Also if you falter on a steep slope, the car may start rolling down and by the time you recover you may be in a soup.
It is one of my biggest fear on a hill. And who would teach the buses and lorries ramming down with great speed, while you are trying to go up?

I use the handbrake almost always from a stop and stand position.

However I still tend to have anxiety 'before' the whole act begins, once in the act I am fine. I am not sure how to get rid of it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks