Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2007, 16:24   #1
BHPian

What's your technique when driving uphill?

While driving in hills or for that matter a slope and you had to apply brakes and then pick up from the first gear, how do you do it?

You, pull your hand brake and then release it once the first gear is engaged and acclerator pressed..!

or

You do "paddling" i.e., within miliseconds you press the clutch with your left foot and engage the first gear, then - remove your right foot from the brake and put it down the acclerators neck ..!

Which of these two techniques is best for the car?

I initially used to do 'paddling' first but then read something at Fiat's website and switched to using handbrake.

Mods: Please post it in an appropriate forum in case this is not the right one!
kapilsharma80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2007, 17:50   #2
BHPian

I always use the handbrake. I could never manage that quick shuffling between paddles
sbasak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2007, 17:55   #3
BHPian

If you drive your vehicle in Shillong, you need to learn to paddle because without it, you will bang the vehicle behind you. We live in a place where its hilly and slopes all over
SumitB is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2007, 17:56   #4
Team-BHP Support

using the handbrake is the better option. but what will you do if you have to drive an old amby with no handbrakes and whose engine stops unless you give some constant throttle to it
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2007, 18:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
using the handbrake is the better option. but what will you do if you have to drive an old amby with no handbrakes and whose engine stops unless you give some constant throttle to it
yeah right - my car does have a hand brake (but doesnt operate + hard to reach on the passenger side) - so while going up a slope ->

press the brake hard > engage first gear > use "half clutch technique" to stop the car from rolling behind > take my right foot off the brake and accelerate (revving a bit higher than required) up the slope.

Edit: i thought old ambys had/have hand brake levers on the drivers side towards the door???

Last edited by planet_rocker : 20th September 2007 at 18:12.
Old 20th September 2007, 18:09   #6
BHPian

What I follow is as follows

I change gears from higher to lower as soon as I see a upward slope, be on half clutch so that the vehicle cannot move back, release the brake and be kind on the throttle. That way I am able to move on upward slope,

I dont know if its right, but ...
Old 20th September 2007, 18:18   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapilsharma80 View Post
You, pull your hand brake and then release it once the first gear is engaged and acclerator pressed..!

or

You do "paddling" i.e., within miliseconds you press the clutch with your left foot and engage the first gear, then - remove your right foot from the brake and put it down the acclerators neck ..!

Which of these two techniques is best for the car?

I initially used to do 'paddling' first but then read something at Fiat's website and switched to using handbrake.
Can you elaborate or provide the link as to what you read in fiat's website?

IF the incline is too steep and/or theres too much load in your car its safer to use the hand brake else paddling/half clutch would do.

paddling/half clutch requires some practice though, to avoid stalling your car or rolling backwards.
Old 20th September 2007, 18:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

I doubt the handrake option with my Baleno, because I doubt whether the car will move, unless I push the throttle to a considerable amount, it would be uphill and handbrakes would be pretty effective. I'd rather release the clutch till the gear engages, release the brake and then gas it up.

In my 800, I have the option of using the handbrake as well.
Old 20th September 2007, 18:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

using the handbrake as much as possible is better as while doing paddling
it can result in clutch riding and which in turn can damage the clutch plate and pressure plates
Old 20th September 2007, 18:41   #10
BHPian

Point the vehicle's nose up and open the throttle (ofcource there are no gears involved-I drive a Blaze!)
Old 20th September 2007, 18:50   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Suppose if i have stop at a traffic signal on an incline ( which is common out here in Hyd). I generally pull the handbrake and wait for the green signal. On green, I put the gear in first and leave the clutch and simuntaneously down the handbrake.

Using the above, the car moves forward with not an inch of back sliding
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2007, 19:26   #12
BHPian

I use one of the techniques based on how steep the incline is and if the car behind me is too close. If I can afford a couple of inches to a few feet, I use paddle technique. On downwards slope I use hand brake for sure, if I have to move back for whatever reason.
sreenivass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2007, 19:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

Mine is somewhat like half clutch,half brake(foot brake) and throttle.Somewhat like heel and toe technique I guess.I'm able to manage it till now. Don't know if it is the correct technique or not.
In case of not so steep slope I just use the half clutch and slight throttle to keep the car steady and move if required, in case if it's not for a longer duration.Otherwise hand brake on,engine off and sit and wait.
Old 20th September 2007, 20:54   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Edit: i thought old ambys had/have hand brake levers on the drivers side towards the door???
Yea they did, but they seldom worked. Lol..
Old 20th September 2007, 21:12   #15
BHPian

Using clutch to hold the vehicle on upward slope causes severe stress on the clutch. So, it is always better to use handbrake. Cable adjustment on handbrake is usually cheaper than clutch replacement

The trick with handbrake is to release it gradually and simultaneously pressing the accelerator. With some practice, it is possible to acheive the state where the car will move just when handbrake is fully released - no stress to clutch and handbrake either. In fact after a few hill-start, in the rev counter, you can see exactly at what RPM you need to release the handbrake fully, so that car will pull without any jerk or stalling.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks