Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2007, 20:50   #16
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
In case of oversteer, if you apply opposite lock aggressively and accelerate at the same time, you may find the car suddenly turning the other way as the rear wheels get traction and fishtailing will occur. One has to be prepared to make quick steering corrections before fishtailing can occur in an FWD oversteer situation.
I found this method the easiest to control a skidding car on track. Till date haven't lost the rear end. You need quick hand movements and a good judgment to know when your car is back to normal so that you stop steering. Or else you would have applied excessive counter steer. Something that comes only with practice.

I completely agree with khaadu. Inspite of having all the theoretical knowledge when crunch time comes it won't help you. Most WILL panic and stand on the brakes. So get out there and practice.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 10th October 2007 at 20:51.
Old 10th October 2007, 23:39   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post

In case of oversteer, if you apply opposite lock aggressively and accelerate at the same time, you may find the car suddenly turning the other way as the rear wheels get traction and fishtailing will occur. One has to be prepared to make quick steering corrections before fishtailing can occur in an FWD oversteer situation. If you don't slow down adequately and accelerate into the turn, there is a danger of the car skidding off the road before the rear wheels can get traction.
Hi, I'm the 'Swift Guy' who almost fishtailed his way to hell!
Bingo RKS. This is precisely what happened. Aggressive opposite lock and acceleration didn't go down too well with the stock 165/80s and I started fishtailing.

But yes, its really, really tough to 'brake gently till control's regained' on the road, especially if there are a couple of vehicles by your left/right or plonk in front.

Practice...wish there were some good driving schools around with a track thrown in.
Old 11th October 2007, 00:52   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Practice...wish there were some good driving schools around with a track thrown in.
I am surprised that you are unaware about the existence of a track in Chennai. The best way to teach is to learn it yourself.
Old 11th October 2007, 01:44   #19
Awaiting Email Confirmation

better yet learn to drift on your skid lol! just kidding, I see alot of people here referring to opposite locks and the theory is right but if youre on gravel then..see you around sometime if you find yourself in an oversteer situation (meaning: your car is turning too much). You have to go against your natural tendencies. Turn into the skid. You also need to accelerate.People don't think about accelerating to control the car.However, many oversteer skids can be controlled and a disaster averted simply by releasing the brake and gently accelerating. This transfers the weight from the front to the rear wheels, which allows you to steer into the direction of the skid, gain control of the vehicle and continue safely on your way. If you drive a rear-wheel-drive vehicle, be careful not to over-accelerate or the tires may spin and you will oversteer and slide out of the turn. In an understeer skid (when your car refuses to turn and is sliding), once again it's important not to react instinctively by over-correcting the steering wheel, by braking or by doing both simultaneously. Understeering is usually caused by entering a corner too quickly and then turning. To turn the vehicle effectively, your wheels need grip. If you react to an understeer skid by turning more, you're only asking for more grip, which is unavailable. The same is true if you brake. Instead, in an understeer skid, carefully adjust your steering wheel until you regain some grip at the front wheels. Once grip is restored, gently and precisely add steering.Try testing the scandinavian flick too.
Old 11th October 2007, 11:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hey Nitroxx, what is a Scandinavian flick?
Old 11th October 2007, 11:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
This is the best way to do it IMO as I have tried this earlier as well on several such places where the road is on a decline and is also banking. Works everytime. At the crucial point you have to be on the brakes but as you are pulling out you need to get back on the accelerator.
Zappo, wow! Almost reads like one of those "flying lap" descriptions we hear from time to time during the F1.

Tell me, isn't this dangerous to be practising on a daily basis - don't you have regular traffic on that stretch? Just curious..........
Old 11th October 2007, 11:21   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Im sure Zappo & rks would manage giving you the right answer for that .... but if you want to see it go to google videos and search for it and u'll see it for yourself .
Old 11th October 2007, 11:30   #23
BHPian

Regular drivers - Do NOT turn in the direction of the skid

For regular drivers (read: no track experience) - here's an article I read sometime back
The right way and the wrong way to handle a skid

Quote:
Handling a Skid

Do NOT turn in the direction of the skid

"Turn in the direction of the skid," said your Driver's Ed teacher. It was bad advice. Unless, that is, he took you to a track or a snowy parking lot and allowed you to develop skill in catching a slide.
Quote:
Did your Driver's Ed teacher mention that at some point you must steer back the other way or you'll go flying off into the trees or opposing traffic? I didn't think so.

Most drivers will be better off if they do not "Turn in the direction of the skid." As a high-performance driving instructor, I've ridden with hundreds of drivers as they tried to catch a sliding car (and, on their first attempt, almost universally failed).
Quote:
Drivers fall into two groups. The first group is those who can get enough practice to develop the ability to catch a sliding tail. The second group is those who can't get the necessary practice time. The second group includes virtually all Americans.

The most dangerous are those who incorrectly put themselves in the first group. These drivers often over-correct and then go sailing off perpendicular to the road. In some states, over-correcting is among the leading causes of fatal accidents.
Quote:
Since you're most likely to face a rear-tire skid in the rain, here are some steps you can take to avoid this situation entirely. Make sure your rear tires have at least as much tread depth as your fronts.
Quote:
Coping with a front-tire skid (which feels like the steering shaft has been severed) is a lot easier: Leave your hands where they are. Lift off the gas. Say "Oh, shoot." And hope that the traction returns before the trees get there. Turning the steering wheel more does nothing good and might do something very bad: If you have the wheels cranked over when grip returns, the car will fly off in the direction they're pointed.
Old 11th October 2007, 11:31   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxx View Post
If you react to an understeer skid by turning more, you're only asking for more grip, which is unavailable. The same is true if you brake. Instead, in an understeer skid, carefully adjust your steering wheel until you regain some grip at the front wheels. Once grip is restored, gently and precisely add steering.Try testing the scandinavian flick too.
and yank the hand brake so that the car starts oversteering
Old 11th October 2007, 11:57   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Learn from the master.
Old 11th October 2007, 16:34   #26
BHPian

Great theory oriented thread about practical situation

Now.. I have read through the lot... Still confused. So as suggested one should try his/her hand at this. Where do I get to do that in Delhi? I mean trying these stunts on road is almost as stupid as trying to jump off the Eiffel tower to see if the arms can be used as wings...
Old 11th October 2007, 18:00   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreak View Post
Great theory oriented thread about practical situation

Now.. I have read through the lot... Still confused. So as suggested one should try his/her hand at this. Where do I get to do that in Delhi? I mean trying these stunts on road is almost as stupid as trying to jump off the Eiffel tower to see if the arms can be used as wings...
find yourself an empty ground or go to a parking lot at night and then try it all out ... trust me you will need to carry a laptop along to try and remember the so called theory bit !!!
Old 11th October 2007, 22:07   #28
Awaiting Email Confirmation

hmm. I see the scandinavian flick question has been answered and in what an awesome way too! Colin Mcrae!!! it doesnt get any better than that unless..youve got Keiichi Tsuchiya the dori kin(drift king)The Drift-King Story! on your mind

Last edited by nitroxx : 11th October 2007 at 22:12.
Old 12th October 2007, 10:37   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxx View Post
hmm. I see the scandinavian flick question has been answered and in what an awesome way too! Colin Mcrae!!! it doesnt get any better than that unless..youve got Keiichi Tsuchiya the dori kin(drift king)The Drift-King Story! on your mind
YouTube - Gunsai Touge: AE86 vs. R34 GT-R
YouTube - Keiichi Tsuchiya Rare ae86 footage
The Keiichi Tsuchiya video is just awesome. What car control I say!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks