Team-BHP - 10 Reasons to Ditch the Stick-on Fish-eye Convex Blind Spot Mirror
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   10 Reasons to Ditch the Stick-on Fish-eye Convex Blind Spot Mirror (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/30115-10-reasons-ditch-stick-fish-eye-convex-blind-spot-mirror.html)

You've probably seen them around: Those fish-eye mirrors that drivers glue onto their side mirrors in hopes of solving their blind spot problem.

LaneFX® Auto Safety Series: 10 Reasons to Ditch the Stick-on Fish-eye Convex Blind Spot Mirrors

:Shockked:

Hey Mithun!

Good info on the site! Was thinking of going for one of these...having second thoughts now!:)

I use them and find it very very usefull.

very very handy when parking close to a curb.

Sometimes if the mirror position changes, the fish eye allows me to continue driving till I find a safe spot to pull over and adjust the mirrors.

only problem with this was when I fixed it on my Wagon R.
ended up with a crack on my driver SVM.
so if someone is installing it, be carefull and dont press hard.

also most points are repeats and/or just dont apply to India

1. They distort your rear view
--Yes, but you get used to it

2. Only their outer edge is beneficial
-- NO

3. They take up valuable mirror real-estate
--Nonsense

4. They look cheap and unattractive
--is this even a point

5. They do not absorb glare and reflected light
--They do

6. They're confusing to use
--NO they are not.

7. They do not comply with government safety regulations
--Nonsense

8. They're difficult to remove
--so dont remove them

9. Leasing companies may charge you to remove them at lease end
--Nonsense

10. Chemical required to remove them can be harmful to your vehicle's paint / clearcoat finish
--Dont remove

That was a good eye-opener! Thanks!

Even I was planning to get one of those, but dropped the idea now!:)

I am using one on my L-RWM, just to keep an eye on bikers. They are pretty useful.

One point, though- you can't switch between fish-eye mirror and the regular one so easily, as the focal length for the eye is vastly different. I use the fish one for all my left side coverage, and look at the left RWM only to get an ide how close I am to the vehicle in left late.

Agree with @bblost- Points 6 to 10 are utter nonsense. The 10 commandments looks like preaching than logically laid out view.

Been using it for a while now, very usefull!

got to try it agree:

bblost : What is the cost of Fish-eye mirror that you've fixed on your Wagon R ?

free.
my sister in law in the US was kind enough to get them for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mithun (Post 597626)
bblost : What is the cost of Fish-eye mirror that you've fixed on your Wagon R ?

they are available in delhi for 180 rupees a pair...
so should be about the same in your part of the country...

Without a doubt they are very very useful, I am using them from day one. I am surprised that site mentioned in the initial post does not have any technical reasons for not using them except the aesthetic reasons.

There is always a proper way of using the blindspot mirrors. This is how I use them:

For Right:
1, First Look at side mirror.
2. If nothing is visible in side mirror then look at the blind spot mirror,
3. If something is visible, its on blind spot, and if nothing is visible, its clear to turn

also its important to set the spot mirror right, the one I have can me rotated to set at the right visibility.

Even I have got these mirrors (the ones that can be rotated after fixing) - but I am yet to use them. Will update this, after I have installed them on my car.

[quote=pjbiju;597709]Even I have got these mirrors (the ones that can be rotated after fixing) quote]

can you please post a pic of these mirrors...
cheers

The points on that web page are a load of B.S. Have used them long enough, and find them very useful. Here's something to use them in a better way :

There are two types - fixed, and rotate-able. I have used a mix & match of these - one side had a fixed mirror, and the other side a rotate-able. The position also is towards the same edge (IIRC, towards bottom left corners when used in the LHD environment in the US). I know this gives a possible 4 options, but would appreciate some one trying this out. But have found this mix-&-match to work absolutely fine.

I must disagree sir. Ever since I fixed the slightly large stick-on convex mirrors (MGA) in my Wagon R, I have regained my eyesight!