Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2010, 18:54   #166
Team-BHP Support

Folks,

A basic question on windshield cleaner. Is Colin OK to use?
Planning to keep one in the car for long drives.

Last edited by ampere : 6th May 2010 at 19:00.
Old 11th May 2010, 13:43   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Folks,

Ya i very well use it..but in a different way. i add 2 cups of colin to the Wiper tank which have a 1.5 litre capacity.So its really easy when you want to clean the windshield while driving and it really works.
fatherlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2010, 15:53   #168
Team-BHP Support

That is a pretty neat idea. Thanks !
Old 18th May 2010, 13:42   #169
BHPian

Beware of Govt.Buses

Kindly beware of Govt. buses while travelling in highway in high speeds. Generally they don't give any kind of indication that they are going to change their lanes. I faced this last weekend during my travel on high way NH7 several times. The govt buses simply trying to change the lane when you try to overtake.
Old 26th May 2010, 16:29   #170
BHPian

Govt Buses

I hate to do this but unfortunately, that's the only solution..

There are couple of things that I follow (even though I hate doing so):
- Honk furiously few meters before you start overtaing any heavy vehicle buse, lorry or anything. If in nights, blink your head lights in the same manner.

- Ensure you have at least 15-20% faster than the vehicle you are overtaking all through your negotiation.

- Don't change back to left lane immediately (if it's a two-lane road and you've to steer left instead of continuing on the fast right lane) if there is no oncoming traffic, ensure through your left ORVM that you are good enough to return or ensure you have covered enough distance at the same speed before returning to your lane and slowing down to normal speed.

- My friend is a regular weekend driver and he recently changed his stock horn to a blaring one of Bosch make. Also upgraded lights to brighter ones. This he says, helped him scare away heavy vehicles. I'd also suggest to add aux lights just to dupe those big fellas that it's not a small/medium car but another heavy vehicle that's trying to overtake (if you are a regular high way driver)

Safe Driving,
KK
Old 28th May 2010, 19:39   #171
BHPian

"keeping the engine in an idle state before switching off" is applicable for non-turbo engines too (Bolero Slx Xd3p Engine).
Old 29th May 2010, 23:19   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherlover View Post
Ya i very well use it..but in a different way. i add 2 cups of colin to the Wiper tank which have a 1.5 litre capacity.So its really easy when you want to clean the windshield while driving and it really works.
I remember being told NOT TO ADD ANYTHING INTO the wiper tank. You'll first have to find out whether your existing cleaning fluid in the tank is alkaline or acidic, otherwise salt formation takes place and the spray outlets get clogged. Clean water in the wiper tank is okay anytime.
Old 29th May 2010, 23:24   #173
BHPian

A few handy tips for cleaning the windshield

Quote:
Folks,

Colin should be okay. Also, wiping with newspaper (not laminated or glossy) cleans it real good. Even heard people smearing on a bit of tobacco too (can't vouch for that though).
Old 31st May 2010, 12:25   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain.Goat View Post
Colin should be okay. Also, wiping with newspaper (not laminated or glossy) cleans it real good. Even heard people smearing on a bit of tobacco too (can't vouch for that though).
Quote:
Folks,

MG agree with you on the Colin & newspaper part. But not sure about the tobacco.

@ Ampere, yes Colin is highly recommended infact i got this tip from HVK.

I have also see people using the while ash given in temple (that we keep in forehead) to clean the windshield, you call it viboothy in tamil.
Old 31st May 2010, 13:06   #175
Senior - BHPian

I have been using tobacco for quite some time now and based on my experience, I have found it to be a very good cleaning agent. It really kicks out the greasy stuff on the windshield. By tobacco, I mean the soft tobacco found in cigarettes etc and not the Pan Parag or Manikchand type.

I've heard people saying that it damages the wipe rubbers and the beading rubbers, but so far I haven't found any evidence on the same.
Old 31st May 2010, 15:23   #176
Team-BHP Support

Other thing I noticed with Colin and Newspaper is that you need to clean the glass before you apply Colin. Else it does not clean properly. On my last visit I forgot this fact and I could see layers in my windshield.

@RR, The Vibhuthi thing is news to me!
Old 1st June 2010, 14:20   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishoryk View Post

- Don't change back to left lane immediately (if it's a two-lane road and you've to steer left instead of continuing on the fast right lane) if there is no oncoming traffic, ensure through your left ORVM that you are good enough to return or ensure you have covered enough distance at the same speed before returning to your lane and slowing down to normal speed.

KK
Adding to the above, after you overtake the vehicle don't change to left lane till you see the headlight of the vehicle you are overtaking. That gives somewhat a safe distance to change the lane back.
Old 2nd June 2010, 22:13   #178
BHPian

If you have a kid (say less than 2 years old) Babyseat is THE first item in the checklist.
It's a life-saver(not an accessory) like the seat-belts for the driver and other passengers. Not only on long drives, but also for in-city drives.
Old 11th June 2010, 13:58   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Other thing I noticed with Colin and Newspaper is that you need to clean the glass before you apply Colin. Else it does not clean properly. On my last visit I forgot this fact and I could see layers in my windshield.

@RR, The Vibhuthi thing is news to me!
A bit OT - I have used Vibhuthi to clean the silverware in the house. Aartis and other pooja items which turn black due to oxidation get the sparkle when cleaned with Vibhuthi powder. Scrape the Vibhuthi and polish the dry items/utensils to get back the lustre.

Last edited by AltoLXI : 11th June 2010 at 14:05.
Old 28th July 2010, 15:49   #180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
A bit OT - I have used Vibhuthi to clean the silverware in the house. Aartis and other pooja items which turn black due to oxidation get the sparkle when cleaned with Vibhuthi powder. Scrape the Vibhuthi and polish the dry items/utensils to get back the lustre.
Will this help resolve dis-coloration of head lamp assembly?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks