Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2011, 16:00   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide on Essentials of a Long Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I searched google images and most of them are identical in function, though they may differ a little in form.

Here's one image I found which is closer to the ratchet handle/wrench that I have:

Google Images
Thanks, but does it have an adjustable opening, like in an adjustable wrench?

Further, the wheel wrench given with most cars will be hard and long enough to stand on when the nuts are tight, right? In that case, why is this necessary?
Old 5th October 2011, 16:06   #212
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post

Further, the wheel wrench given with most cars will be hard and long enough to stand on when the nuts are tight, right? In that case, why is this necessary?
That is a socket wrench.

Socket wrench - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Guide on Essentials of a Long Drive-socket_wrench_and_sockets.jpg

I don't think it works well for tire nuts. I have broken 2 such wrenches in the past. The spring mechanism just went kaput.
So you need to buy something of very high quality. Both the wrenches I wrecked were made in China but purchased in Dubai.

Last edited by bblost : 5th October 2011 at 16:08.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 17:50   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post

The difference between a normal wrench/spanner and the ratchet handle/wrench is the 'ratchet'. The ratchet mechanism within this wrench allows you to lock it in either clockwise or anticlockwise direction. When you lock it for clockwise movement, such as tightening a nut, you turn the wrench clockwise to turn the nut. The ratchet allows you to turn the wrench anti-clockwise without turning the nut. This allows you to turn the nut in small and fast increments. With an ordinary wrench you would have to turn the wrench a whole 360 degrees.

To give an example, imagine you have to tighten the nut on your car's wheel. With an ordinary wrench you put it onto the nut and turn the wrench clockwise. Assuming you are exerting downward pressure, you have to position the wrench parellel to the ground, on the right hand side of the nut. Then you press it downward about 30-40 degrees. You may not be able to turn it 90 degrees or else your hands/palms will graze against the ground. Once you turned it, you have to remove it from the nut and reapply it onto the nut in the original (parellel to the ground) position.

With a ratchet handle, you lock it for clockwise direction before applying it onto the nut. The initial position is parellel to the ground, just like the normal wrench, and you apply identical downard pressure to turn it approx 30-40 degrees as allowable. Now, instead of removing the wrench and repositioning it, you simply turn the handle anti-clockwise, turning it back to the parellel position WITHOUT REMOVING THE WRENCH. Then you repeat the downward pressure/clockwise turning movement. This way you can turn the nut faster.

If you are not aware of how ratchets work, it would be best if you can watch a mechanic use it to understand how it works different to the normal wrench.
honeybee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 15:57   #214
BHPian

What I would like to add to the original list is that you should be well aware of the news in the areas which you will travel through to avoid any road blocks due to protests etc.
Old 4th January 2012, 01:09   #215
Senior - BHPian

Dont think I saw anyone mention this. When you are travelling to a remote place, or places where the language is different from what you are aware of, try to get people who known the local language travel with you. If this is not possible, at least keep a translator book handy. This may sound really silly, but believe me is very helpful when English is no longer the most used language in some of our villages.. LOL
Old 10th February 2012, 11:33   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

During long drives, is there a limit for non-stop driving or recommended distance to travel before stopping the car to cool the tyres? Mine are tubeless tyres.
Old 10th February 2012, 12:10   #217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
During long drives, is there a limit for non-stop driving or recommended distance to travel before stopping the car to cool the tyres? Mine are tubeless tyres.
I think it would depend on a bunch of variables.
1. road temperature.
2. load on the car
3. road style, as in straight roads, ghats etc.

Generally a tough road condition would also tire the driver and he would invariably top sooner than he normally would.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 17:12   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Generally a tough road condition would also tire the driver and he would invariably top sooner than he normally would.
Thanks Imran!
Normally I used to do around 310Kms in one stretch(Bangalore to Karur) with 3 or 4 adults + 1 Kid. After a break of 30-45mins I do another 340Kms(Karur to Nagercoil). Almost the entire stretch is 4L except the last 20Kms. I was just concerned because off late I came across couple of tyre burst incidents in highway.
Old 10th February 2012, 19:13   #219
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Thanks Imran!
Normally I used to do around 310Kms in one stretch(Bangalore to Karur) with 3 or 4 adults + 1 Kid. After a break of 30-45mins I do another 340Kms(Karur to Nagercoil). Almost the entire stretch is 4L except the last 20Kms. I was just concerned because off late I came across couple of tyre burst incidents in highway.
Tire bursts usually occur on old and under inflated tires.

Under inflating a tire will weaken the side wall over a period of time.
A long drive with an under inflated tire will cause it to heat up a lot and explode due to the high pressure getting produced.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 17:39   #220
BHPian

I don't think a consensus was reached in this thread on whether we need to switch off the engine for a few minutes when going on a long drive. I have done 4-5 drives of more than 500 kms at a stretch & when I feel like resting for a while, I generally turn off the engine as it has become a habit. I'm wondering if it is OK to do it or should I allow the engine to be i idle for say 2-3 minutes before turning it off?

Specifically, I want to know what is to be done for a turbo diesel engine as mine is a TDI car.
Old 20th February 2012, 13:33   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw19d View Post
I don't think a consensus was reached in this thread on whether we need to switch off the engine for a few minutes when going on a long drive. I have done 4-5 drives of more than 500 kms at a stretch & when I feel like resting for a while, I generally turn off the engine as it has become a habit. I'm wondering if it is OK to do it or should I allow the engine to be i idle for say 2-3 minutes before turning it off?

Specifically, I want to know what is to be done for a turbo diesel engine as mine is a TDI car.
I am no expert, but I think cooling the engine off (even for a bit) is always a good thing. And as far as idling it for a while before turning off is concerned, I think you would do that inevitably while stopping, unless you come to screaming halt and start resting. Slowing down, pulling over and parking are done at very low rpms so that does the same as leaving the engine to idle.

Personally, I always find a shade to park while resting and sometimes even open the hood while I rest - to help the engine cool.
Old 21st February 2012, 11:27   #222
Senior - BHPian

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but always try to ensure that there are at least two drivers in the car. Firstly it helps to have someone drive a bit and take over for you if you are tired, and secondly what happens if the driver gets sick or can't drive for some reason. Then you are stranded, sometimes in the back of beyond.

In addition, always keep a jerry can of fuel in the car. Just in case you don't find any petrol pumps or wind up using more fuel than planned for one stretch of drive, you have an emergency supply to get you to the next pump hopefully. Just make sure you get a good can that is leak proof and keep it in a secure location

@VW19D - All turbo engines are supposed to idle for between 30 seconds and I think two or three minutes before you switch it off, depending on the type of driving you have been doing. Definitely do not switch it off the moment you bring the car to a halt. It is very damaging to the turbo in the long run. In addition, try to avoid blipping the throttle. This raises the revs of the turbo without providing adequate oil for lubrication. Not good in the long run again

Last edited by pganapathy : 21st February 2012 at 11:37. Reason: Missed a post and didn't want to create another one
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 18:35   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw19d View Post

hi,

The owner's manual for Swift VDI and the Thar CRDe state 1 minute of idling time before turning off the engine, as well as before pressing the throttle after turning on the engine. so the idling is a must. Surely your VW manual should have the idle time for your vehicle...

regards
Siva
Old 13th April 2012, 13:02   #224
BHPian

For all those planning a trip to Leh and the higher reaches, in fact to anywhere in the country, a car mounted CB radio is a must have. It is a wonderful communication tool between vehicles for emergencies and advance information on the highways. A CB radio can now be bought legally in India and is license free to use anywhere in India. They are very reasonable priced and PM me if you need a radio. They are very easy to install in your car or SUV.
Old 20th April 2012, 20:57   #225
Senior - BHPian

Here is what I read and experienced

- Start early and stop early (I usually start my day at 5 in the morning, most of the places where I did my night halt had packed breakfast facility or was able to manage something packed for us).
-GPS devises are a must have - ensure you have the latest update as it always help on highways and new cities you plan to venture.
-Refrain from watching movies on your car DVD systems - even if you have a dual zone device, your mind always gets destructed more as against the music that you play generally. Its highway and has to be taken seriously.
- Go tankful. If you want to stop and no decent place is known to you, use fuel stations, they are generally safe, most of them will have basic facilities like toilets and you will get good advise about your balance journey, they are very much updated about things.
-If you and your companion - both are driving enthusiast, please bear in mind that the car is not, its your car and you need to pamper her during the drive - halts always increase performance of your machine (if not more give her atleast 20 - 30 minutes of rest after every 200 km) plan your drive and halts in sync with your meals and other requirements etc.
- The spare tyre is meant for emergencies, keep it ready. Also ask your neighborhood mechanic to teach you how to change headlamp, this comes handy - keep spare set of headlamps with you.
- Even if you are slightly tired, do not ignore it, the body has given indication, stop and take some rest.
- Hill driving is slightly tricky then plans, you may not be able to see what the driver ahead of you can - no harm in depending upon his signals, he is not going to ask for a payment for it and mind it no rush on mountains. Although your RTO inspector has clean forgot to ask you to pass the tomato test before granting the driving license - he is generally busy you see ;-) but no harm doing it before you venture in hills.
- Another tip for hills, if you get altitude sickness, keep your tummy light, it helps and you reach the destination fresh and light.
-Do not take long drive on the very next day of getting your car serviced, it is a good idea to get things done, but give a day or two to test your vehicle before you put it on highways. Not every car is a Maruti Suzuki and thus finding good repair shop is difficult.
Happy motoring !!!
i74js is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed