Team-BHP > Road Safety

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2009, 13:27   #181

I prefer night driving on the highways that are well known to me where i have been recently( at least a couple of months back) also within the city always prefer night driving.

One thing what i have observed in the night driving is that your speed is comparitively less than day driving in day is your average speed on highways is around 70 kmph in the night it might average out to 55-60 kmph.

HTH.

Thanks,
Vivek
Old 16th September 2009, 17:36   #182
BHPian

I prefer driving in the night, that is only if I am fresh and awake. I generally take a nap if I start feeling sleepy. There is lesser traffic in night and driving strain is lower as it is cooler.
Old 16th September 2009, 18:07   #183
Senior - BHPian

I prefer driving in broad daylight, not that I'm incompetant at night, but it has become very very risky, with looters and pilligers at every nook and corner.
Old 17th September 2009, 09:49   #184
Senior - BHPian

For any highway drive, I would plan my departure time in such a way as to arrive at my destination before nightfall. If this is not possible, then I would prefer to stay at some appropriate place for the night and proceed the next morning. For city drives I prefer night/early morning.

I would rather leave night time driving on the highways to professional drivers.
Old 17th September 2009, 10:29   #185
BHPian

Day driving anytime.

If long distance travel is involved, I would love to start at day-break so as to get out of the city and onto the highway before the city wakes up.

Well, if day-time adds cattle, jay-walkers, cycles, bullock-carts, Piaggios on the road to impede my progress, so be it.

After all, travel cannot only be distance between point a and point b in x time ... there is a lot more to it.

It is only in the day that one can thoroughly enjoy the sights, sounds and smells of Yeh! Mera India ... I love my India.
Old 20th September 2009, 23:16   #186
BHPian

I like night driving because you don't have to compete with too many cars. Heavy vehicles are a highly disciplined lot and give way much more easily compared to smaller vehicles like cars etc. The atmosphere is cooler as well and tires as well as the engine don't get overheated. If you have good headlights, you must definitely prefer night driving is my motto
Old 24th September 2009, 20:56   #187
vsh
BHPian

i prefer night driving. my main fear is the sudden appearing of buses and trucks in turns. at night, i can easily notice it. and also lesser traffic, cool weather and saves a lot of my day time for my work.
Old 29th September 2009, 12:51   #188
Senior - BHPian

I prefer day driving. Like for my Mumbai - Himachal - Mumbai drive, I left @ 4. am and reached Udaipur by day end.

cheers,
ac
Old 29th September 2009, 13:09   #189
Senior - BHPian

Day driving on the highways simply because there is always a lot of places to see enroute and after all, most of the time it's not just about getting from point A to point B unless you are rushing off on some important work. Late night and early morning driving in the city for obvious reasons !
Old 29th September 2009, 14:48   #190

Day driving for sure!

The Indian countryside is so beautiful, it definitely makes sense to travel during the day and enjoy the drive. Unless, there is anything urgent to address or severe time crunch, always recommend day driving
Old 29th September 2009, 15:37   #191
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

this is a nice comment. I agree 100%.
While getting to the destination on time is important, it would be good if we learnt to enjoy the journey as well.
Personally Day Driving any day of the week - (sorry for the bad pun)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shre78 View Post
The Indian countryside is so beautiful, it definitely makes sense to travel during the day and enjoy the drive. Unless, there is anything urgent to address or severe time crunch, always recommend day driving
Old 29th September 2009, 16:22   #192
Senior - BHPian

I prefer day time driving not to miss the sights along the way, as mentioned by shre78. For me the journey itself is the destination - if I have to drive on the highway. Else I will simply travel by train/bus.
Old 29th September 2009, 16:56   #193
Senior - BHPian

Daytime driving for me anyday. I personally feel it is a lot more safer to drive during daylight that at night with all the dazzling high beams blinding your eyes completely. I prefer to start early and reach my destination before dusk.
Old 29th September 2009, 17:08   #194
BHPian

I prefer day time travel. I always start at the day break and by the time I reach the outskirts, I have inbound traffic and less outbound traffic. Again when I reach the destination it will be mostly outbound traffic and less inbound traffic. I have seen lorry/bus drivers falling asleep behind the steering wheels during night travel. It’s due to their persistence of traveling without taking any breaks. During day travel the only time where you need to watch out is between 3-4PM, that’s the time when we get really sleepy. Do be aware that the AP registration lorries are really notorious for the drivers falling asleep behind the wheels.
Old 29th September 2009, 17:09   #195
BHPian

I would not tend to generalize: Couple of important parameters can be:
1) Road: Single/double lane road with traffic can be a 'nigh'tmare to drive during night time. e.g. NHs, however, Single/double country side road might be fun to drive. Of course this would not apply to 4/6 lane roads.
2) Vehicle: Vehicles with lower seating arrangement would not be fun to drive due to lights from oncoming vehicles - especially trucks.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed