Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2008, 17:31   #121
Senior - BHPian

I prefer daytime driving anytime.
On the highway and for long drives I prefer starting at the break of dawn or slightly earlier - have the benefit of the sunlight, less traffic and better weather too.
Even in the city I hate night driving because of oncoming lights, etc.
Old 11th October 2008, 17:47   #122
BHPian

Hi, I frequent BLR- Cochin every 2 months. Have a question for you.
Would driving continuously at 85/90 kmph for 5-6 hours with the ac on , harm your engine ?
Driver fatigue is zero though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
On the highway and for long drives I prefer starting at the break of dawn or slightly earlier - have the benefit of the sunlight, less traffic and better weather too.
Old 11th October 2008, 17:58   #123
Senior - BHPian

Love the early morning and the evening drives.

Hate the 8-10pm time. After that its just amazing.

On highways , i prefer leaving at 5 and reaching the destination maximum by 6-7 pm
Old 11th October 2008, 19:45   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda.sanjay View Post
Would driving continuously at 85/90 kmph for 5-6 hours with the ac on , harm your engine ?
Nope if your car is in good shape of tune, you dont need to worry about it. But for your physique a break every 1 to 1.5 hour is recommended no matter what you drive.
Old 11th October 2008, 19:55   #125
BHPian

I prefer day driving. Early morning is the best time to leave city; after that all is mess.
Old 11th October 2008, 20:08   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda.sanjay View Post
I somehow have this feeling, diesel motors are more forgiving in such scenarios than petrol engines.
Although, the difference would be minimal i guess.

I say this because, after continuos long drives, in petrol cars I get the feeling they run out of breath. that is not so perceptible with diesels.
Old 11th October 2008, 20:54   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

AC just adds a little more work for your engine --- as shown by the increased fuel consumption.

Maybe think of it as the difference between driving on the flat, and driving up a slight slope.

In European terms, 85/90 km/h is not very fast at all. Our British motorway speed limit is 112, which many people will exceed for long periods, and the Germans, of course, go much faster.
Old 11th October 2008, 22:06   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Well...I though it's a poll!

Anyway, back on topic:
Night driving for me.

I love to drive in the nights...on tar roads than concrete, on winding roads than expressways...

The ghats in the Sayhadris and the Konkan region...I have been travelling through these in the night for years and yet every drive is as exiting as the first one...

The same roads are so boring in the day :-(
Old 11th October 2008, 22:41   #129
BHPian

I love night drivng better.I am not troubled much by the opposing beams. Also find vehicles at curves better anicipated at nights
Old 11th October 2008, 22:46   #130
Senior - BHPian

One koshun: What are peoples' experiences with the Night driving goggles from fastrack or otherwise?
Old 11th October 2008, 23:11   #131
Senior - BHPian

I prefer day driving. I would like to start early as possible to beat the morning traffic and get into highway.

I hate high beam from opposite vehicles and difficulty to spot potholes during night drives. The advantage is very less traffic.
Old 12th October 2008, 00:11   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I prefer day driving. I would like to start early as possible to beat the morning traffic and get into highway.

I hate high beam from opposite vehicles and difficulty to spot potholes during night drives. The advantage is very less traffic.
completely agree on the night part - so much so that I felt somethings wrong with my eyes that I can't handle high beams
Old 12th October 2008, 21:58   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
i agree. one can start at 5am, but not before that. as mentioned by dadu, most accidents happen at wee hours.
most truck drivers prefer night drive and chances are high that the driver would be a boozer (or having a beer bottle in one hand while the other hand is on the SW).
another point while driving we may be awake and brisk but we cant predict or guess the upcoming/ other vehicle's driver is sleeping or he is normal. again thats risky. finally we suffer because of others fault.
Old 12th October 2008, 22:40   #134
BHPian

my preference has always been day driving.. leave at 4 or 4.30 AM... but the last trip i did both ways at night, for a change. It wasnt that bad. Lesser traffic, cooler engine... no suicide bombers (read people crossing the road without looking). I liked it but I might do that only on known routes and going forward, will only drive at night if they are routes like blr-Chennai i.e. multiple lanes with nice big dividers
Old 12th October 2008, 23:30   #135
Senior - BHPian

I dont know if others have experienced this too- when you drive in the night on highways and face the headlights of oncoming vehicles, sometimes it is difficult to guage if they are on your track, especially if the road is curving. when you see head lights of two vehicles, you would struggle to make out if they are one behind the other or next to each other (in an overtaking mode). This is especially true in undivided highways. Even on a divided highway with a narrow divider and no trees this can happen.
I once had a close shave when I misjudged a vehicle coming in my track (wrong side for him) to be on the other side of the divider until he got very close. You dont expect a vehicle to come in the wrong side on a highway in the night and your attention level is not high.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks