Team-BHP > Road Safety

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2010, 11:48   #301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post

I think some of us are jumping the gun on Sudev's post. Note this from his post:
I am sorry, I thought he was giving a general advice. I still don't get why you should be driving on the left-most lane. If what you are saying is correct, I don't see any chance of someone or something coming out of the bushes in the middle of the road too. I have yet to see any resource which advocates driving on the outermost lanes. To me it seems against all logic of the automobile/road industry. Again, sorry if I sound like jumping the gun, but I just want to understand if there's any solid research going behind Sudev's argument of driving on the outermost lane, or is it just his personal choice that has worked for him?

Another note: Can you post the exact link to the shadow driving technique on Sudev's blog? I checked out the site but can't seem to find it.

One of the drivers we had hired way back for our first tour in a car, told us the trick he used was to watch the left-most edge of the road when the oncoming vehicles blinded you. Instead of looking straight ahead, you look sideways so you are staring more at the centre and left edge of the road. Your headlights illuminate the left edge, which you can use to guide the car along.
Old 27th May 2010, 23:25   #302
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I suggest you check out his night driving techniques guide "www.chaipakoda.in"
You do not have to go there. Just check my posts at beginning of this thread itself. After I had posted here I blogged at http://blog.sudev.in

Not the outer most but one lane away from inner lane, which mostly happens to be the left lane.. And you do not have to stick to it when it is obstructed. I am merely saying that keep in the outer lane when circumstances so allow and you can actually end up driving safer and faster.

The trick your old driver was describing is exactly what I am doing. And to do that more away from the centre line of the oncoming vehicle you are lesser is the "glare" and better your vision on the left edge - the dangerous edge. The central verge and edge is getting illuminated by the light of oncoming vehicle and that is where shadows will occur if any thing moves.

Slow down if you are not comfortable or are blinded but do not use head beams to "glare" down the opposing vehicle. Rather use low beam and watch the left edge. Use shadows generated by his light to get an idea of the road ahead. Slow down do not get taken in by false sense of illuminated near by road surface it can be deadly.

The point I am making is every one is wary of things at the left edge. But it is the things in dead centre that can catch you off guard when you are higher speeds.

Lastly IAC it is good idea to keep off the fast lane as much as possible and comfortable. Does not hold up faster traffic behind you!
Old 28th May 2010, 00:06   #303
Senior - BHPian

Just retaining concentration and having a large, fast vehicle is not enough. Since you've done this drive in the i20 (1200 km in 14 hours), there has to be something more important, which is of course technique. I guess it comes with experience too.

OT @Sudev:
Saw your GV parked at Motorcraft this afternoon and was impressed by how good a 2yr +, 1.2 lakh km run vehicle looked.
Old 28th May 2010, 00:18   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
You do not have to go there. ...

Lastly IAC it is good idea to keep off the fast lane as much as possible and comfortable. Does not hold up faster traffic behind you!
I guess I now understand better what you are trying to say. And I shall say that's almost all the sensible advice on night driving.
Old 28th May 2010, 07:28   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After I had posted here I blogged at Pass with caution!
Quote:
I have used the night driving techniques described in your blog to my benefit.
Sorry I have not been able to locate the exact blogs where driving techniques are discussed. Can the direct link be shared? Thanks.
Old 28th May 2010, 07:44   #306
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Sorry I have not been able to locate the exact blogs where driving techniques are discussed. Can the direct link be shared? Thanks.
Pass with caution! Blog Archive A howto on driving at night

Or you can read my earlier posts almost at the beginning of this thread itself.

Last edited by sudev : 28th May 2010 at 07:45.
Old 28th May 2010, 12:00   #307
Senior - BHPian

Excellent writeup.
Quote:
Pass with caution! Blog Archive A howto on driving at night

Or you can read my earlier posts almost at the beginning of this thread itself.
I went through the entire thread again. I think many subsequent posts, after yours at beginning of this thread, are pointing to issues that have been discussed/solved in your post. Perhaps people did not get the exact link. My suggestion is to replicate the blog post in the forum for better reach.

Quote:
While you can not eliminate sudden you can increase chances by decreasing the "suddeness" adopting highest scan time driving styles.
Now I understand what you mean.

Some questions though.

Quote:
A standard beam with 60/55 bulb is good enough if used with reason and care.
How would one find unmarked humps? For example, if you see my posts earlier, solution is to use better illuminating lights.

Quote:
In the hills the heavy traffic ahead of you slows down to a crawl and you can not safely overtake unless you are clear that there is no oncoming vehicle, During daytime this is only possible on stretches where you can see a long distance ahead. However at night the illumination or absence thereof becomes easy indicator of oncoming traffic.
Assuming that the oncoming traffic has lights on. Hence just depending on lights alone is not sufficient. One should also watch out before starting the overtaking manoeuvre.

I should say that your blog post has been an 'eye-opener'. There is no smiley to say this, but I-take-my-hats-off-and-salute-you.

Last edited by sbraj : 28th May 2010 at 12:03.
Old 28th May 2010, 12:54   #308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
OT @Sudev:
Saw your GV parked at Motorcraft this afternoon and was impressed by how good a 2yr +, 1.2 lakh km run vehicle looked.
Errr just a month and half short of three years. Thanks.
Old 29th May 2010, 21:40   #309
Senior - BHPian

Sorry was ford fiesta diesel. Night driving on single roads is not recommended by me. Too tiring. fatigue sets in with a low speed video game like driving. On 4 lanes, it's much better.
Old 30th May 2010, 21:22   #310
BHPian

Well it depends on the mood and purpose actually. I would prefer day driving if i am driving through ghats, or in a hurry to reach the destination. Night driving on the other hand is very exciting and involving if done on undivided roads. I absolutely love it when i am not tired. Of course one cant expect to cover the same distance as during day time or on divided roads.
Old 30th May 2010, 21:45   #311
Team-BHP Support

If i have a choice, then i would prefer day-time driving without a doubt. In a country where people believe in blinding each other with powerful lights, and where you have trucks parked without a bother on the fast lane of a highway, i would rather take my chances with day-time driving.

Ofcourse, with day-time driving, there are other dangers lurking, such as morons who drive on the wrong side of the highway, but atleast you can see them coming. Even on a divided highway, at times i wonder if the vehicle approaching me is actually on my side of the road, or the opposite when approaching a bend.
Old 31st May 2010, 10:41   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkapilb View Post
Well it depends on the mood and purpose actually. I would prefer day driving if i am driving through ghats, or in a hurry to reach the destination. Night driving on the other hand is very exciting and involving if done on undivided roads. I absolutely love it when i am not tired. Of course one cant expect to cover the same distance as during day time or on divided roads.
We used to drive in the nights specially as it's easier in the ghats. The lights of vehicles provide an excellent opportunity to spot any oncoming vehicles. Which makes it very easy to plan the overtaking maneuvres even on blind curves. There's only one instance I remember clearly when we drove in the dawn hours (between 4-6am) when my Bro in Law was driving and I was riding shotgun. I kept falling asleep every now and then, but he drove us from home to Solapur in under 8 hours, almost nonstop except a couple of halts for tea.
Old 31st May 2010, 12:23   #313
BHPian

I drive quite often from Bangalore to Kerala(around 650 kms) and back. Earlier I used to start at around 330 in the morning and reach destination around noon. But I have found that kerala roads are much better at night. The driving time becomes almost half if you drive at night(in kerala).
Old 31st May 2010, 13:31   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princemanatt View Post
But I have found that kerala roads are much better at night. The driving time becomes almost half if you drive at night(in kerala).
You mean NH47 (which does not have dividers)? I used to think it is safer in night. But the recent spate of accidents (especially like the Karunagapally oil tanker one) during night tells me otherwise. For a defensive driver, the narrow roads make it all the more difficult to maintain speed, and overtake.

Only advantage on NH47 is that during night time, the two wheelers and autos are off the road. Most of the other dangers still remain, I think.
Old 9th June 2010, 15:03   #315

Either way, both day and night driving on highways especially requires lot of confidence and concentration. Day driving is anytime preferred over Night drives just for the fact that the kind of impediments are high at night. Some of them as below

1) Less road visibility, especially on highways, where the roads are unlit
2) High beams (Most of the vehicles will not be respectfully following the night driving guides, one of the most being observed are high beams
3) Drunken driving (although some of them do it even during day)
4) Need for help in case of emergency is minimal

Based on all these factors, Day driving is anytime better
Closed Thread

Most Viewed