Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2008, 11:59   #16
BANNED

Guys , I can't believe that Im reading tips like flat bed , etc -- come on , have you ever thought of what can happen if you were to suddenly brake -- I leave that imagination to you !!!

There is no other option but a car seat .. they like it or don't like it is not an option coz as a parent you have to drill into them that a child seat is the only spot he/she can sit in if they want to go for a car ride . A lil problem in the beginning but if you firm enough , they will soon fall in line -- thats just how kids are !!

Im a dad too but a dad to a 4 month old ... technically only 2 month old as my son was born 2 montsh pre mature so he may be 4 months but is still smaller in size to others of his age so when we travel my wife sits at the back while hes in a carry cot or at times in her lap . Even now he's not allowed to sit up front .

And in a long journey if a child gets uncomfortable after a bit then just take small breaks just when he starts to get uneasy . He/she should be ok after a few trips .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418
Install a screen at the back and carry loads of Tom & Jerry's, Spooky etc. and your kid will sit tight with eyes glued to the screen.
You can't be serious ... kids anyways have an overdose of television and here you suggesting that parents put a tv in the car as well ... NO WAY should this be done !! There are so many other things to keep them busy with while travelling .

Cheers

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th June 2008 at 12:48. Reason: cumon = come on.
Old 25th June 2008, 12:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
We have not trained our kids to sit in a car seat, so they dont do it. If we put them in a car seat from the time they are infants, they will get used to it.
It is tough to train the kids who are not used to it from the infant stage, but it is not impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
5. nursery rhyme mp3s/rajnikanth songs(my son likes both)
what a combo
Old 25th June 2008, 12:26   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
nursery rhyme mp3s/rajnikanth songs(my son likes both)

what a combo
Superstar yaarunu ketta ..

For the benefit of all, even a small child will tell you the answer when asked who the Super Star is
Old 25th June 2008, 13:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

GTO, dunno if the idea is good or bad, but this was discovered by me by accident.

My sis-in-law's 2 year old son was and is an absolute terror and many a times I feel/felt like spanking him with all my might. But those two innocent, mischievious eyes melt away everything. Now this little brat is a major trouble inside the car. One day he was in my Safari that has a roof mounted screen visible from the middle row. I had a T&J vcd that I switched on and suddenly it was ll eerily quiet at the back. This kid was glued to the screen and didn't even wink.

Whe I recounted this to his parents, they were amused and got a screen installed the very next day in their Innova.

So, you can draw your own conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Is that a good idea, considering that watching television in a moving car can be harsh on the eyes?
Saajid, I'm dead serious after what I've seen my relatives have gone through. Three of them still sing paens in my honour for this brilliant/stupid idea..

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
You can't be serious ... kids anyways have an overdose of television and here you suggesting that parents put a tv in the car as well ... NO WAY should this be done !! There are so many other things to keep them busy with while travelling .

Cheers

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th June 2008 at 13:19. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button (or learn how by reading the Team-BHP FAQ)
Old 25th June 2008, 13:18   #20
BHPian

Hi,

My duaghter who is 3 years old, is in the middle seat of the back seat with the seat belt on during long drives. If is is a short drive to the school (abt 5 kms), she sits in the front with the seat belt on. She sits on a pillow for the height. The lap belt is on, while the shoulder belt goes around the head rest. Seat belts/ Car seats are a must for children.

My 2 cents
Dwarak
Old 25th June 2008, 13:21   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
GTO, dunno if the idea is good or bad,....
Well regardless, it works. (and its better than reading in a moving car i would imagine.)

Infact every minivan and SUV ad on TV in the states shows the kids in the back seat playing PS on their individual screens, or watching cartoons etc etc.

Sure does work, but only post a certain age group i would guess (1.5yrs + ?)

cya
R
Old 25th June 2008, 13:47   #22
BHPian

In Highways both my wife and son sit in the back seat. I recently bought a booster seat and my son likes it very much (he insists on wearing seat belt too)
Old 25th June 2008, 14:34   #23
rippergeo

Agreed giving them a video screen to keep them quiet is effective.
but its definitely not healthy.
Multiple reasons.

1.strain on the eyes, due to less distance between eyes and screen
2.strain on the yes due to constant movement while trying to focus on an object in the near field
3.increased chances of motion sickness
4.loss of a brilliant educational oppurtunity(nothing like travel to help kids learn)
5.TV addiction.

my son is 10 months old and loves "dhappankuthu" songs. dont know why.
which is wierd cos all I listen to is classic and alternative rock.
The moment he hears one of those rajni songs, he's up and dancing.
(note-does not have to be rajni, any "dhappankuthu" number will do in a pinch)

Old 25th June 2008, 15:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

We've used a car seat for my daughter since she was 8months old, and to be frank, she did not take to it easily. We tried all possible locations - middle of the rear seat, left/right side.,. She was most comfy with the middle seat position for the baby seat. And she had a lot of motion sickness.

So what did we do ?

1) Keep using the baby seat. No two ways about it.
2) Do not feed her before a car journey.
3) On longer journeys, schedule a major part of the journey while she is sleeping.
4) Longer breaks on long distance driving.
5) Once she was old enough to sing/scribble, carry lots of her favourite toys, music (nursery rhymes), paper/pencil for her to scribble on.
6) One of us always with her at the back during long drives.
7) Installing a screen is a good option if the child likes to watch cartoons/movies.
8) Last but not the least, be prepared for a longer drive, unscheduled stops, and DONT GET HASSLED whatever happens..

Point 3 above works best !

cheers!
Srini
smsrini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2008, 16:10   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I
What is the best possible way to travel long journeys when two adults (Mostly husband & wife) & a kid are there in car?

Since, Kid cannot sit on seat along with co-passenger on highways, due to safety reasons. Only choice is there he/she should be there in back seat.

What are the precautions one should take before embarking for long journey?
There is a lot of sound advice already so nothing much to add except that we traveled from Delhi to Simla in April with our 2.5 year old daughter and if not for child seat, we wouldn't be so comfortable ourselves. When the child is strapped in and sleeping, you can sleep too in the comfort that if there is a situation which involves hard braking, you child will be safe. BTW, Guruji has very sound advice regarding the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Install a screen at the back and carry loads of Tom & Jerry's, Spooky etc. and your kid will sit tight with eyes glued to the screen.
+1 to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Is that a good idea, considering that watching television in a moving car can be harsh on the eyes?
Kids don't have to watch it for longer hours but for short durations it is perfectly fine.
Old 27th June 2008, 11:03   #26
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarakv View Post
Hi,

My duaghter who is 3 years old, is in the middle seat of the back seat with the seat belt on during long drives. If is is a short drive to the school (abt 5 kms), she sits in the front with the seat belt on. She sits on a pillow for the height. The lap belt is on, while the shoulder belt goes around the head rest. Seat belts/ Car seats are a must for children.

My 2 cents
Dwarak
Get a booster seat, which did a trick for my travel comfort. From almost last 18 months, my son (who is 4.5 years now) seats in his seat. Obviously we had issues in the beginning to make him to seat. However, no options were given. Pillows are not meant for holding your loved ones.

regards,
-manju
Old 27th June 2008, 11:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Sam Kapasi;878925]Dear Anuj,

All kids can be terribly naughty - the country of origin has absolutely nothing to do with it. quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Oh my god! Where are these misconceptions coming from!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
My son loves the kinderseat. He is 3+. We bought the seat prior to our first major journey with him, when he was 10months old. A few weeks after I bought the Baleno. 450kms return journey went without a hiccup. He's been using it since.

OMG! its an eye opener. After reaching to Bangalore I will first buy a kinderseat for my car. I can feel now, this is the best option among all available options.
Thanks Sam, Samurai, shuvc. with your valuable comments.

Also, GTO pointed out fitting LCD screen in car may be not the good option. Though, it works for some kids but not all. Now a days kids already glued with TV at home so let them enjoy with other things also on road. Like watching road etc.
Old 27th June 2008, 11:55   #28
BHPian

Just saw this thread, we have a 21 month old and 7month old. Both have been on car seats from the day of birth. We have done a few long trips (Madras - Chickmaglur and Madras - Munnar). We plan the trips so that we don't drive for more than 6 hrs in day and take a break for every 2 -3 hrs on the road. Once trained they are able to take their usual 2hr naps in the car seats, but the A/C needs to be highly effective in order to prevent sweating on their backs. I've installed LLumar sunfilm on my Getz and it dramatically increased a/c efficiency on long drives.

Apart from the occasional tantrums, they mostly cooperate. And we make no exceptions .. the kid has to be in the car seat. As mentioned in the other posts, we try and keep them entertained with songs/radio, picture books and other small toys and plenty of imaginary games with the scenery...And one more thing, there are these neck support type of pillows that are great for kids on forward facing seats, it helps in keeping their head steady while taking a nap.

When we bought the forward facing car seat at mothercare, we strapped our daughter and held it upside down for a few seconds to see how it holds up.. and once the seat was installed in the rear seat, i tested it by pulling it forward vigorously to see how much it would move before the seat belt tensioner got activated.

In car TV is surely the easiest way to keep the kids entertained, but one addiction that is hard to get away from.. besides my wife would never permit it!!
Old 27th August 2014, 12:24   #29
BHPian

Pune to Jammu with a 2 month old baby.. Help required

Hi Guys,

I am planning to take a road trip come this October with my wife, a 2 month old baby and a lhasa apso. I've travelled this route thrice now but this will be first time with the kid and that too at such a young age. Would like to have your inputs on the road conditions and some inputs on travelling with such a small child.
Route is not a problem and I know it almost by heart now. my only concern is the baby and the section from Abohar to pathankot.
Appreciate your inputs on this.
Old 27th August 2014, 14:16   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pune to Jammu with a 2 month old baby.. Help required

The first ever drive for my daughter was for 850 kms in a day when she was 3 months old and hence I would be more than happy to share my inputs here:
  • Ensure to start at such a time when the baby usually sleeps. This will ensure that you cover maximum distance while the kid is asleep
  • We had bought a rear facing car seat that helped us immensely in ensuring that it acted like a cradle to sleep when the car was in motion
  • If you are hungry and the baby is asleep, I would prefer you to keep driving till it wakes up. Carry alternate food to eat on the go
  • Carry some soothing lullabies or soft music which the baby can listen to during the drive
  • Carry all medications for typical symptoms and have the Phone number of the pediatrician handy in case of emergency
  • Be ready for surprises if the baby rejects the travel and you may have to check in into some Hotel (Keep the option open and have a list with you on where to stop in case)
  • Most importantly – Carry a 12V Milk Bottle Warmer(can keep contents almost hot all the times) as well as an Instant Milk Heater (That can be usually plugged into wall socket for less than minute to boil/prepare baby fluids)
  • Drive very patiently and do not get influenced by her sudden crying when you are driving. Take it easy and pull over if required
  • At the toll booths, roll down only when you are right at the window and if the attendant is taking time to issue a ticket, keep the window rolled up – Toll booths are the places where you would notice truckers and petty vehicles getting impatient and suddenly start honking that can wake your kid up who is in deep sleep
  • Usually on the go as well, Roll up and drive changing to Fresh Air mode in between – Tire noise from another truck, Honking can wake them up
  • Avoid sudden acceleration or Braking and make the baby feel like you are driving an Automatic when shifting gears!

Last edited by paragsachania : 27th August 2014 at 14:18.
paragsachania is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed