Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2010, 17:47   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkguy View Post
Do these Bosh wipers doesn't leave the fog behind on windscreen. I often face this problem of very thin film of fog on outside the windscreen after a wipe from wipers. Any pointers?
Initially they don't, but after 2-3 months it's the same story with Bosch too!
Mine Bosch wipers are an year old. They leave a fog layer, as well as cause screetching sound on the windshield, like they have stuck on the glass and taking much effort to move around.
Old 10th June 2010, 21:50   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkguy View Post
Do these Bosh wipers doesn't leave the fog behind on windscreen. I often face this problem of very thin film of fog on outside the windscreen after a wipe from wipers. Any pointers?
a couple of ideas...

-- Get that windscreen as clean as you can. It is the only part of a car that I really put my energy into cleaning! Use glass cleaner and finish with glass polish. I use Auto Glym, and pick it up when I go to UK; a little goes quite a long way --- it is good at getting those oily or greasy deposits off the glass.

-- Never get body polish or wax on your glass.
Old 11th June 2010, 10:19   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaops View Post
I have seen a lot of people using tobacco but any idea of how does tobacco help? What properties of it make sure that it helps during rain?
Not sure of the propery, but what it does is leave a coat which acts more like a wax coat. Water beads and streams up or down based on vehicle speed.

And how much of tobacco - you will end up with at least 2/3 ciggi's used. I do.
Old 11th June 2010, 12:22   #199
BHPian

many people seem to suggest rubbing of tobacco on the windscreen . my doubt here is will it not scratch the windscreen? are there any other options available?
Old 11th June 2010, 14:47   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

It is only leaf, it will not scratch --- unless some grit has got mixed up with it, like when our teeth find grit in the rice!
Old 11th June 2010, 16:26   #201
BHPian

Maruti service stations sell windshield cleaner to be mixed with the water in the tank meant for wipers. Very inexpensive and very effective.

However it is necessary to keep the wind shield clean all the time. In case you find it dirty pour some plain water on the WS and clean with an old newspaper till all the water is absorbed and the WS is dry. Clean the wiper blades too.

Finally clean with wipers making sure that you spray water from the tank before the wipers start. Different models have different ways.

It is also important to keep the inside of WS too clean. In case mist forms on the inside blow cold air on to the WS by switching on your ac and directing the cold air onto the WS. The mist clears like magic. Better than wiping with a cloth.

Murthy
Old 14th June 2010, 18:13   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinimurthy View Post
Maruti service stations sell windshield cleaner to be mixed with the water in the tank meant for wipers. Very inexpensive and very effective.

However it is necessary to keep the wind shield clean all the time. In case you find it dirty pour some plain water on the WS and clean with an old newspaper till all the water is absorbed and the WS is dry. Clean the wiper blades too.

Finally clean with wipers making sure that you spray water from the tank before the wipers start. Different models have different ways.

It is also important to keep the inside of WS too clean. In case mist forms on the inside blow cold air on to the WS by switching on your ac and directing the cold air onto the WS. The mist clears like magic. Better than wiping with a cloth.

Murthy
I heard from couple of friends that normal colgate toothpaste(white) helps in removing the oil layer. Used in couple of trips, saw slight improvment.
But i love the ACC in my Punto. Put it to 'Full Auto' and i never get a mist on my windscreen however it is.
Also i mix Amway glass cleaning lotion in my spray tank with water. Is it ok. This also was suggested by one mate.
Old 14th June 2010, 18:30   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

I do not expect a pair of wiper blades to last more than a year. I replace them at every service, even though MSS think I am wasting my money!
Old 14th June 2010, 19:06   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjo View Post
I heard from couple of friends that normal colgate toothpaste(white) helps in removing the oil layer. Used in couple of trips, saw slight improvment.
But i love the ACC in my Punto. Put it to 'Full Auto' and i never get a mist on my windscreen however it is.
Also i mix Amway glass cleaning lotion in my spray tank with water. Is it ok. This also was suggested by one mate.
I never tried colgate tooth paste. How does an oil layer come onto the WS? Either the water servicing guy is using contaminated water or you are using soiled clothes to wipe the WS.

If there is an oil layer the simplest solution is to use collin. After cleaning the windshield with collin rinse with plain water and use the old paper to dry it.

Never allow any body to put their bare hands on the WS. That is a sure source of making the WS oily.

Murthy
Old 15th June 2010, 12:11   #205
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I do not expect a pair of wiper blades to last more than a year.
+1 to that. I usually replace wiper blades in the June (right before monsoons) of each year.
Old 15th June 2010, 13:45   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjo View Post
Quote:
I never tried colgate tooth paste. How does an oil layer come onto the WS? Either the water servicing guy is using contaminated water or you are using soiled clothes to wipe the WS.
I drive a Figo and my other car driver is bit tall, so probably he bumps his oily head on the windshield. As a result there were many oil marks.
I used Colgate toothpaste for the inside of my windshield to remove these stains. It did remove them, but horror of horrors - I found that they created tiny scratches on the windshield. This was apparent only at night. Post this, I tried Eagle 1 and Vista glass cleaner but those scratches seem to be permanent. They seem to be like snowflakes.

PLEASE DO NOT USE TOOTHPASTE.

The Figo windshield seems to be made of plastic - takes on so many scratches. Disappointing!!!

For the remaining oil stains, I'm going to try vinegar/lemon/rubbing alcohol.
Old 18th June 2010, 13:13   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Flooded areas

• If you aren’t sure about the depth of the flood, do NOT drive through it. Taking an alternate route is best. If you just have to use that stretch, wait until another car / bus attempts to pass the flood, and gauge its depth. Never drive through a flood unless you know how deep it is and that your car can handle it.

• Switch off your air-con before entering the flooded area.

• Always keep your windows slightly open when traveling through a flooded area. If you get stuck, you can shout for help or even force the window down.

• When in a flooded area, choose the first gear, slip the clutch and keep the revs high enough to ensure that exhaust gases are pushed out of the tail pipe. Do NOT stop revving. The lower your car's speed, the better. If your car stalls, it is very difficult to start it again.

• If your car does stall, do not attempt to restart. This may lead to engine hydrolock. You first need to check if any water has entered the air intake or exhaust pipe.

• Once out of the water trap, pump / tap your brakes to dry the drums and discs off.

Windscreen / Window fogging:
• Remember the fundamentals : Window fogging occurs due to a temperature difference between the inside surface of your glass and the outside. For example, if you drive without the air-con and all your windows are shut, the cabin is warmer than the outside, resulting in the window fogging up from inside. On the other hand, if you run your air-con on full blast mode, the interiors of your car will be colder than the outside. Thus, your glasses will fog up from the outside.

• Keep the air-con on fresh air / ventilation mode.

• It is important to maintain the right temperature balance between the inner & exterior sides of glass. Don't turn your air-con to full blast. Keep it at a level which is just about comfortable.

• Use your rear windscreen demister liberally. It heats up little wires in your rear glass and gets rid of the mist / fog.

• When the windows fog from the inside, the best thing to do is to switch the aircon on. It will clear up the screens in a jiffy. The situation is a little tricker when the windows fog up from the outside. The ideal solution is to roll down the windows a little, and let the air flow more or less neutralize the temperature difference. Most modern cars come with the demist / defog mode as part of the standard HVAC system.

Drive safe! The rains are simply beautiful. Taking the necessary precautions will make your rainy drives a pleasure that you will look forward to!

Credits : Many points in this article have been compiled from Normally_Crazy's thread (Driving in the Rains - Tips) (Driving in the Rains - Tips). Thanks to all those who commented!
Nice tips GTO. I hope and wish every motorist follow these tips/tricks so as to make ourselves safe on the road.
Old 18th June 2010, 14:47   #208
BHPian

Friends,

My brother has Alto Non-A/C vehicle. During monsoons, its very difficult to drive due to fog formation and somebody or the other have to wipe the windscreen during long drives. He just have a fan. This is a Alto LX model.

Any suggestions please?
Old 18th June 2010, 16:24   #209
BHPian

Quote:
How does an oil layer come onto the WS? Either the water servicing guy is using contaminated water or you are using soiled clothes to wipe the WS.

Murthy
Oil layer can also be formed from the vehicles in front of you. This happens especially when you drive behind heavy vehicles where complete combustion doesn't take. Also, some of these guys have a habbit of pouring waste oil into the tanks. This supposedly gives them a better pick-up (i dont know how far this is true). This waste oil does not burn up completely and ends up on the WS of the vehicle travelling behind them.
Old 18th June 2010, 16:40   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
Friends,

My brother has Alto Non-A/C vehicle. During monsoons, its very difficult to drive due to fog formation and somebody or the other have to wipe the windscreen during long drives. He just have a fan. This is a Alto LX model.

Any suggestions please?
The "fog" formation is because the temperature inside the car is higher than the temperature outside. So basically what you have to do is to minimize this temperature gap. Ask him to leave the windows slightly open. This should reduce the effect significantly. If he is very worried about the water getting in probably you could suggest him to fix those "shades" (i am not sure what they are called actually) on the doors. They might not look nice, atleast it will help you out in a small way.

Most Viewed