Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2015, 00:07   #361
BHPian

re: Safe Driving in the Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Have been using Rain X for past 3 years and i can say its a bang for the buck product which works well. I apply 3 coats the first time and top up once every month till the rainy season ends . And it works extremely well.
For perspective buyers :

- Rain-X : It is a hydrophobic silicone polymer, does not have any bonding properties, thus requires a top up. It is like applying hair oil. You oil your hair and then you apply shampoo and oil is gone. Cost : INR 365 (Recent purchase by Bhpian a4anurag)

- Proklear NGS : It has got bonding properties, thus only one time application and you are good for 2+ years at least. Cost : INR 500 (Including free Anti-fog spray)

* Am in no capacity associated with any of these brands, comparison only for buyers' benefit

Last edited by MunnabhaiMBBS : 17th June 2015 at 00:09.
MunnabhaiMBBS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 02:16   #362
BANNED

Quote:
Have been using Rain X for past 3 years and i can say its a bang for the buck product which works well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunnabhaiMBBS View Post

- Rain-X. Cost : INR 365 (Recent purchase by Bhpian a4anurag)
It was a VFM for all who have got it with them and NOT for the ones who are buying it now.

I bought the Rain X - Original Treatment for Rs 365 from Amazon.in.

I checked the price again a while back and it is a whopping 1276 + 100 delivery charges = Rs 1286. I feel lucky to get it at the price i got.

The issue here is, this is NOW not being sold directly by Amazon where it is some kind of external website that is being linked. Hence the price hike.

A simple demand : Supply relation IMO.

Last edited by a4anurag : 17th June 2015 at 02:18.
Old 17th June 2015, 03:35   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
It was a VFM for all who have got it with them and NOT for the ones who are buying it now.

I checked the price again a while back and it is a whopping 1276 + 100 delivery charges = Rs 1286. I feel lucky to get it at the price i got.

The issue here is, this is NOW not being sold directly by Amazon where it is some kind of external website that is being linked. Hence the price hike.

It is still available on Flipkart for 400 rs + 100 for delivery
Old 17th June 2015, 09:45   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Have been using Optimum Opti Seal..
Quote:
I bought the Rain X...
Quote:
Have been using Rain X for past 3 years...
Quote:
For perspective buyers :
- Rain-X : It is a hydrophobic silicone polymer, does not have any bonding properties, thus requires a top up...
- Proklear NGS : It has got bonding properties, thus only one time application...
I am curious to know if these products are effective as mentioned, if the glasses are almost daily scrubbed by the friendly car cleaning guy in the society ? Is there any instruction/ guideline for glass cleaning after applying such products ?

Also, in NCR, the rains are usually intermittent with few dry days in between. On such days, the mud slurry spray on glasses quickly dries and sticks. Any precautions to be taken while cleaning if Rain-X etc. is already applied ?

Last edited by AutoNoob : 17th June 2015 at 10:09. Reason: Added quoted posts
Old 17th June 2015, 13:06   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
I am curious to know if these products are effective as mentioned, if the glasses are almost daily scrubbed by the friendly car cleaning guy in the society ? Is there any instruction/ guideline for glass cleaning after applying such products ?

Also, in NCR, the rains are usually intermittent with few dry days in between. On such days, the mud slurry spray on glasses quickly dries and sticks. Any precautions to be taken while cleaning if Rain-X etc. is already applied ?
Am using Proklear NGS since last 2 years and it is doing it's job pretty well.As mentioned earlier, it is a bonding product that creates a nano clear coat on the windshield therefore does not require renewal for years. I wash my car twice/week with shampoo and the nano coat is still holding fine after even 2 years.

It does not require a 30 day renewal like other polymer based products such as Rain-X. Given the cost, convenience and effectiveness, I would personally vouch for Proklear NGS at any given time.

Last edited by MunnabhaiMBBS : 17th June 2015 at 13:08.
MunnabhaiMBBS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 00:30   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.....Water beads and slides away rapidly resulting into the clear vision.

Please have a look at the Tube video for more clarity.
It does seem to improve the clarity to an extent by forming beads

However, this video is a perfect example of fast and dangerous driving during the rains.

The speed is way too high (even indicated by the quick peek into the speedometer in the video clip). Many people continue to go fast during rains blissfully unaware of the danger, the tyres will simply slide (resulting in the vehicle spinning and possibly rolling), especially around the slightest curve. The slide can get triggered even with a mild tap on the brake.

Having experienced hydroplaning first hand, I can recall how sudden and easy it is to loose traction of the road at speeds above 60kmph on wet roads.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 18th June 2015 at 00:34.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 07:35   #367
Senior - BHPian

Guys some people are claiming the rain repellant products like rain x or proklear cause haziness during nightime driving. Is this true ?
Old 18th June 2015, 09:31   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Guys some people are claiming the rain repellant products like rain x or proklear cause haziness during nightime driving. Is this true ?
No, I did not experience any haziness during the night time with Proklear. One faces no such issue if applied correctly. No first hand experience with Rain X. All the best !
MunnabhaiMBBS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 11:04   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, I did not experience any haziness during the night time with Proklear. One faces no such issue if applied correctly. No first hand experience with Rain X. All the best !
Thanks. Based on your review i have already ordered proclear through amazon. I will first try on the side windows and side mirrors and then try on the windshield. My main issue is poor visibilty on the sides and the rear.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 22:31   #370
BHPian

Quote:

It is available for Rs 400 on ebay. Ordered one today. Interested people can check the link below.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Rain-X-Origin.../261934684922?
Old 30th June 2015, 14:24   #371
BHPian

Thank you MunnabhaiMBBS, just ordered Proklear NGS from ebay.in for 500/- (shipping free).

Rain-X (standard) is also available, for 400/-(shipping free). Those of you who have observed the higher price of 1200/- plus, it may be for other variants of the original product, which are also available.
Old 5th July 2015, 11:32   #372
Senior - BHPian

I had ordered a Proklear appliction from amazon but it was delayed for delivery. So i ordered the Abro clear view anti rain. As per insturctions i used the Abro application but have found it creates a thin hazy layer on the windshield after i use the wiper.

The proklear was also delivered but i have decided to use the Abro first and then use the proklear for the next rainy season. Actually the process to apply the Proklear is a bit lengthy and demands that the wipers not be used for 24 hours so i decided to wait.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 5th July 2015 at 11:49. Reason: Corrected product name
Old 5th July 2015, 18:21   #373
BHPian

Had ordered for a set of Proklear NGS on 1st of July through Ebay(seller: Satishkc) for INR 499/-, Estimated shipping date: 4th July and delivery date: 6th July. Today, rec'd an SMS & Email from Ebay stating that the amount is being refunded as the seller could not ship the item on 4th July. Even now, the site says that they have 12 pieces in stock, hence it looks like the site is not being updated regularly.
However, in Ebay itself there is another seller "Proklear" who is selling the same item at INR 500/-. They also have stock (Don't know how true it is). Looks like the product is moving pretty fast, as TBHP members are on it!
Today placed a new order with seller: Proklear with estimated delivery on 9th July. Shall update on actual delivery.
Old 11th July 2015, 13:27   #374
BHPian

Do newer cars tackle water-logged roads better?

Hello everyone.

Rains are in, and as usual, streets are filled with knee-deep water in places around Delhi and Gurgaon. Driving a 5 year old Alto in these situations gives me goose bumps, seeing the water splashing ahead of the bonnet.

I would like to know the opinions of members on this. Are newer cars in a better condition to tackle the water-logged streets? Does this apply to only new cars or are well-maintained cars equally likely to cross water-logged roads easily?

Regards,
Nik2772

Last edited by moralfibre : 11th July 2015 at 20:50. Reason: Moved post to appropriate thread.
Old 12th July 2015, 20:19   #375
BHPian

Used PROKLEAR (delivered before time by ebay.in) following all instructions carefully, and am somewhat disappointed after all the labour put in (including the '24-hour no wiper' rule). Coated ALL windows as per advice. and I see that (a) the beading effect on the windscreen is not pleasant, though lighter wiper use suffices; (b) windshield streaks and hazes for a millisecond after every pass of the wiper blades; (c) very difficult to wipe clean the glass with either a dry or a wet cloth -- both create haze marks because of the oily coating ( though they say that PROKLEAR bonds and it is not a coating); (d)on all other windows the water beads produce a screen effect reducing visibility to nought ! CERTAINLY NOT RECOMMENDED !

The 'free' ANTI-FOG SPRAY supplied is better to use, I found. Applied on the windscreen, the glass stays clear in high humidity even without the use of A/C or heater. On the rear window in cars without de-misters, it is a boon.

And I apologise for a 'comment-in-a-hurry' in my last post of 30June ! Rain-X is REALLY Rs. 1275/- on amazon while it is just 400/- on ebay !
SnakemanJohny is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed