Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2023, 10:32   #586
Senior - BHPian

Re: Almost lost control due to hydroplaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODA View Post
I don't know if the problem is with the tyre or the car itself.
What happened : aquaplaning/hydroplaning(please Google for better and graphic illustratios).

Why it happened : Hitting a water puddle at those speeds overwhelmed the tyre's ability to channel water away from under the tyre and the car floated over the water for a few seconds(swayed) until drier patch came up and traction was regained.

Why this car : Assuming that your tyres are mounted correctly. Weight over wheels could be a contributing factor since the wider tyres on a lighter car would lose grip slightly(but not significantly) earlier than a heavier car. But the primary reason is the speed being carried.

What can be done to prevent it :
- Keep the speed in check : The main problem is with hitting a water puddle at 90-100kmph, in any car. Anyone who hasn't aquaplaned should consider it their good luck and an exception.
During rains and at night with limited visibility, such speeds are a recipe for disaster with or without the puddle.

- As for the tyre, check the tread depth and tyre condition to be acceptable for the driving conditions and keep 2-3 psi higher than summer/normal temperatures.

Last edited by shancz : 4th July 2023 at 10:38. Reason: typos
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 15:43   #587
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Safe Driving in the Rains

a wet road does not lead to aquaplaning, but it is easier to skid. Any amount of solid water, even a couple of mm, can lead to aquaplaning: it doesn't take a whole puddle.

Treat all wet roads with respect. Even without aquaplaning, one's simple stopping distance can be as much as doubled!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 23:18   #588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Flooded areas
• When in a flooded area, choose the first gear, slip the clutch and keep the revs high enough to ensure that exhaust gases are pushed out of the tail pipe. Do NOT stop revving. The lower your car's speed, the better. If your car stalls, it is very difficult to start it again.

• If your car does stall, do not attempt to restart. This may lead to engine hydrolock. You first need to check if any water has entered the air intake or exhaust pipe.
Sorry if this is a silly question but I couldn't find a clear answer. How would one handle this when driving a hybrid vehicle where the ICE turns on or off automatically ? Do we just have to revv hard and hope the ICE keeps running? Do the cars have any option/mode to keep the ICE running?
Old 3rd December 2023, 22:47   #589
BHPian

I have a new doubt about this rainy season. Where do you all keep the wet umbrella in a car? On the mat? On the seat? I had a situation where three people got into the car, each with a separate umbrella, and all three were wet. We didn't know where to keep them, so we placed them on the mat, but now it got wet. One was kept in the back seat, but it has a cover, so the water is contained. Now my car seat and mat are wet.

I saw a few accessories online for holding wet umbrellas, but is there some other workaround that people use?
Old 4th December 2023, 10:46   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post

I saw a few accessories online for holding wet umbrellas, but is there some other workaround that people use?

Why go high tech when you can go very very low tech? This is what we've been using for decades. At the start of every monsoon season, we stuff a bunch of these into the seat back pockets.

Safe Driving in the Rains-plasticcarrybag.jpg
GeneralJazz is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 15:10   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post
I have a new doubt about this rainy season. Where do you all keep the wet umbrella in a car? On the mat? On the seat? I had a situation where three people got into the car, each with a separate umbrella, and all three were wet. We didn't know where to keep them, so we placed them on the mat, but now it got wet. One was kept in the back seat, but it has a cover, so the water is contained. Now my car seat and mat are wet.

This is what I have been using for about 23 years, in three cars. A 2 litre soft drink bottle, cut where it starts to get narrow at the top. Two folding umbrellas fit, if squeezed tight. I hang it on the gear shift and it rests on the floor, comfortably next to the front passenger's right leg. It also doubles as a trash can at other times.
Further, since you are talking about the rains, have a look at the second pic. A piece of rexine stuck to all the door switches, to prevent rainwater getting into them when you open the door.
Attached Thumbnails
Safe Driving in the Rains-20231204_095837.jpg  

Safe Driving in the Rains-20231204_095905.jpg  

Last edited by FarPatel : 4th December 2023 at 15:12.
FarPatel is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 08:59   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Why go high tech when you can go very very low tech? This is what we've been using for decades. At the start of every monsoon season, we stuff a bunch of these into the seat back pockets.

Attachment 2539155
Haha, true! I don't know why I didn't get this idea earlier. Thank you for suggesting it. I'll now keep a few covers in my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
This is what I have been using for about 23 years, in three cars. A 2 litre soft drink bottle, cut where it starts to get narrow at the top. Two folding umbrellas fit, if squeezed tight.

Thanks, man! This is a nice idea, and the door panel is also good. I was thinking about that too and thought it may withstand a few drops of water. Thanks for sharing."
raptor_diwan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 17:52   #593
BHPian

I have been using the AWESOME Sprayway Glass Cleaner for both our cars. And I have noticed that no matter how bad the rains, no matter when you clean the glass with or without muck on it, the product keeps the glass shiny new and invisible always. Not only it cleans SO DAMN WELL but also makes the glass sparkling & invisible. It has a superb fragrance as well which makes me keep going back to it all the time, its kinda addictive lol! Because they use perfume grade alcohol, it has a great throw which clings on to the glass ensuring a thorough clean up. I know most folks would say why not use a 3M, Turtle Wax or Jopasu or even Colin, but having tried all these, ever since we have owned cars for 25 years now, the Sprayway Glass Cleaner comes out on top hands down. The Stoner Invisible Glass Cleaner is also available but the SGC is cheaper. Also x1 bottle lasts for a year + making it vfm. There are other Ammonia free alternatives available but haven't tested them so don't know. Also for the monsoons or other wise I use a dedicated Glass cleaning cloth only instead of a typical micro fibre cloth. The results are just beautiful! I kinda have a glass cleaning OCD with my Sprayway. Haha!!

I don't sell the SGC but if anyone wants one ,do let me know & will be more than happy to guide you with the same.
coolmel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 21:51   #594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
I have been using the AWESOME Sprayway Glass Cleaner for both our cars. And I have noticed that no matter how bad the rains, no matter when you clean the glass with or without muck on it, the product keeps the glass shiny new and invisible always. Not only it cleans SO DAMN WELL but also makes the glass sparkling & invisible. It has a superb fragrance as well which makes me keep going back to it all the time, its kinda addictive lol! Because they use perfume grade alcohol, it has a great throw which clings on to the glass ensuring a thorough clean up. I know most folks would say why not use a 3M, Turtle Wax or Jopasu or even Colin, but having tried all these, ever since we have owned cars for 25 years now, the Sprayway Glass Cleaner comes out on top hands down. The Stoner Invisible Glass Cleaner is also available but the SGC is cheaper. Also x1 bottle lasts for a year + making it vfm. There are other Ammonia free alternatives available but haven't tested them so don't know. Also for the monsoons or other wise I use a dedicated Glass cleaning cloth only instead of a typical micro fibre cloth. The results are just beautiful! I kinda have a glass cleaning OCD with my Sprayway. Haha!!

I don't sell the SGC but if anyone wants one ,do let me know & will be more than happy to guide you with the same.
Amazon.in quotes a pack of 2 for Rs. 4250. That's pretty steep, I say. I'll go with Colin and a sheet of newspaper for now, thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks