Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2012, 17:09   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Safe Driving in the Rains

For AT users, drive in S mode instead of D in the rains since it offers more engine braking. Alternatively use manual shifting mode. I had a near-miss the other day when my car was merging to a highway and a truck came to a dead halt in front of me. Only the fact that I had ABS and wasn't doing more than 50 saved me (in 5th gear unfortunately, thanks to the D mode). In S I would have been in 3rd and the engine braking would have helped me stop faster.
Old 18th July 2012, 21:45   #287
BHPian

I use hazard lights almost everyday - when the car in front of me comes to a stop, I momentarily flash my hazard lights to warn the drivers behind me. I also use hazard lights when there are pedestrians crossing (so drivers behind me do not overtake), and when there's cattle (you never know which way they will turn - some drivers learn from their lane-changing habits!).
k_nitin_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 00:00   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
I use hazard lights almost everyday - when the car in front of me comes to a stop, I momentarily flash my hazard lights to warn the drivers behind me. I also use hazard lights when there are pedestrians crossing (so drivers behind me do not overtake), and when there's cattle (you never know which way they will turn - some drivers learn from their lane-changing habits!).
I am confused here. Are'nt Hazard light for stopping when "we" have a hazard like a flat tire / Stopped for bio break / Vehicle break down etc?

The Tail lights glow on braking, which indicates that we are stopping momentarily (Signals, vehicle in front halted etc).

I for one, will attempt to overtake as i would not be able to distinguish whether the car in front of me switched on hazard lights for a pedestrian / animal or did the car stall due to some mechanical failure. For me to stop, brake lights are sufficient. The average Moron who does not know how to react on seeing brake lights will not know how to react on seeing hazard flashers.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 08:13   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

On this thread, the hazard light usage was in the context of some drivers switching them on at the first sign of rain, which is NOT a good practice. The cases that k_nitin_r are used are possibly kosher. But in general I avoid using hazards unless there is an ACTUAL hazard like an accident site that I need to warn drivers behind me of.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 08:49   #290
BHPian

Our discussion here highlights the precise problem with non-standard usage and interpretations of signals - hazard lights, in this case. Ten of us here have ten different practices - some switch it on trying to tell drivers behind them not to overtake, whereas others may end up doing just the opposite since they perceive the lights as signalling a breakdown.

Certainly, hazard lights (next to horns, maybe) are the most abused mode of on-road communication. They are perhaps only appropriately named 'hazard' lights, which seem to bring even greater hazard to our already dangerous roads!

In my opinion, the safest practice would be to leave that red button alone unless one is stationary, and intends/needs to stay stationary for a considerable period of time, allowing others to pass by in the meantime.

Last edited by skandyhere : 19th July 2012 at 08:50.
Old 19th July 2012, 09:12   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

The hazard warning lights are designed to warn other drivers that your vehicle is experiencing a problem. This could mean the vehicle is traveling at a reduced speed, is pulling off to the side of the road or is already on the shoulder. It is primarily a warning device to signal motorists that they should give a wide berth when passing or to slow down.

There should be no other intended use of the Hazard light.

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 10:02   #292
Senior - BHPian

One more tip:
Avoid parking on the wrong side: When the road visibility is low, a car parked on the wrong side with it's parking light on (even off sometimes) can mislead the other oncoming vehicles about which side of the vehicle the actual road is (especially true if thre raod is not straight). This is also true with parking the car on the roadside during night.

Last edited by Guna : 19th July 2012 at 10:03.
Old 19th July 2012, 12:33   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The hazard warning lights are designed to warn other drivers that your vehicle is experiencing a problem...

Not so.

They are to warn others of a hazard.

That hazard may very well be a cow on the road, an accident ahead, stationary traffic ahead; anything that needs other drivers to turn off auto-pilot, engage brain, and be prepared for danger.

In UK, their most common misuse is as parking lights. Hey, I'm blocking this road and you have to put up with it until I get back.
Old 19th July 2012, 13:03   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I am confused here. Are'nt Hazard light for stopping when "we" have a hazard like a flat tire / Stopped for bio break / Vehicle break down etc?

The Tail lights glow on braking, which indicates that we are stopping momentarily (Signals, vehicle in front halted etc). The average Moron who does not know how to react on seeing brake lights will not know how to react on seeing hazard flashers.
Typically, brake lights should be sufficient when your vehicle comes to a stop. However, in some countries, such as our very own India, when you come to a stop, there's a loud 'thud' of bikes, cars, and other vehicles (hopefully not buses and trucks too) slamming into your rear bumper and often the rear tail light too.

In some countries, when you are on a road with a high speed limit and you suddenly get to a traffic jam, it is customary to turn on your hazard lights if there are no vehicles close to the rear of your car.

Oh, and not all countries have cattle and strays sharing the roads with motor vehicles. Ideally, we should have fences and railings to keep them off the roads, but we live in a country with a rather poor infrastructure. On National Highway 44, there are entire flocks of sheeps and goats, and even herds of buffaloes that use the highway without having to pay the toll.

Last edited by k_nitin_r : 19th July 2012 at 13:19.
Old 11th October 2012, 12:49   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Preparing your car for the monsoons

• Ensure that your car is in healthy condition; the tyres, brakes and wipers, especially, must be in top shape. It’s a good idea to get a set of new wiper blades at the start of each monsoon season.

• Your tyres must have at least 2 - 3 mm of tread left, and should be inflated to the manufacturer recommended levels. Driving on tires that are over or under-inflated can prove to be dangerous, even on dry tarmac.
With all due respect I would like to add one more point to this.

If you're riding on one pair of new tires and one pair of old ones, it is imperative that you mount the new ones at the rear! It is quite common for us to install the new ones up front but little do we realize the consequences of this.
The car will have a much higher tendency to hydroplane and fishtail in case of severe direction changes at speed, if the rear tires don't have sufficient tread when compared to the front ones. Its the rear wheels which actually change the direction if the car. The front wheels merely guide the direction change.

Here are two links to better explain this:

A big thanks to GTO for his valuable tips and suggestions.
Vivek Jayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 23:42   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek Jayan View Post
With all due respect I would like to add one more point to this.

If you're riding on one pair of new tires and one pair of old ones, it is imperative that you mount the new ones at the rear! It is quite common for us to install the new ones up front but little do we realize the consequences of this.
The car will have a much higher tendency to hydroplane and fishtail in case of severe direction changes at speed, if the rear tires don't have sufficient tread when compared to the front ones. Its the rear wheels which actually change the direction if the car. The front wheels merely guide the direction change.
A big thanks to GTO for his valuable tips and suggestions.
Wow, thanks for that piece of info - I always used to change the front wheels as my ride is a FWD, and I just thought of braking and acceleration, not about turning which should've been more important.
Old 16th October 2012, 09:41   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
Wow, thanks for that piece of info - I always used to change the front wheels as my ride is a FWD, and I just thought of braking and acceleration, not about turning which should've been more important.
My pleasure

I also used to mount the new tires up front due to a similar misconception. I always thought that the front tires needed more traction or else the car wouldn't change direction!. It wasn't until researching for optimum tire upgrades and tire safety that I stumbled upon the videos above. Soon after, I took our old Ikon for a wheel alignment and balancing and also mounted the grippy tires at the rear. Wish you safer journeys ahead di1in.
Old 16th October 2012, 12:50   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek Jayan View Post
My pleasure

I also used to mount the new tires up front due to a similar misconception. I always thought that the front tires needed more traction or else the car wouldn't change direction!. It wasn't until researching for optimum tire upgrades and tire safety that I stumbled upon the videos above. Soon after, I took our old Ikon for a wheel alignment and balancing and also mounted the grippy tires at the rear. Wish you safer journeys ahead di1in.
Thanks, the only thing nagging at the back of my mind is that the OHC already has a very light rear, I can't believe how I managed to get through until now..

Drive Safe!
Old 19th October 2012, 20:31   #299
Senior - BHPian

It could have been answered earlier. Whenever I use the wiper in rain, there is some haze on my windscreen. It irritates when there is oncoming traffic. It appears only when I use the wipers. There is not fogging otherwise. Is it the wipers or do I need to clean the windscreen?
Old 19th October 2012, 21:56   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

Quite possibly both. Windscreen wipers don't last much more than one year, especially here where they spend 10/12ths of it just sitting there baking.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks