Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2014, 15:18   #331
BHPian

re: Safe Driving in the Rains

I faced a strange issue with my Dzire last year when I was in Ujjain on a road trip from Mumbai to MP, I was crossing the town and it was raining heavily, In main market there was ankle deep water and I thought I would easily wade out, all of a sudden it turned out to be knee deep and there was no way I could return back, so I revved harder and somehow managed to pass through knee deep water without stalling, I saw some smoke coming through the engine bay, I could smell that was steam as some water drops came over the hot engine, during and after the water incident I realized that the engine on the default idle was vibrating a lot, it felt like it was struggling to maintain the idle speed and I had to rev it harder to curb that vibration, I felt that for two to 3 days that the engine was struggling on Neutral idle revs and after 2-3 days the issue was resolved by itself. I still wonder what had been the issue, was it hydro locking or some other issue ?
Old 18th June 2014, 19:01   #332
BHPian

One more rule while parking when it is raining: One may want to park away from trees and electric poles, for obvious reasons.
FORTified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2014, 20:07   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
One more rule while parking when it is raining: One may want to park away from trees and electric poles, for obvious reasons.
One should also keep away from the sides of the road. Many a times, the pavement blocks get submerged under the accumulated water and can be very dangerous.
Old 23rd June 2014, 15:11   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
Next to impossible for Delhi. We either have a lot of trees or a lot of electrical poles near parking spaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servegaar View Post
One should also keep away from the sides of the road. Many a times, the pavement blocks get submerged under the accumulated water and can be very dangerous.
Is your advise for parking or driving? Seems like it is for parking as you responded to a parking related quote. If so, we should not be parking in the middle of the road. While driving, one just need to try and avoid submerged parts of the roads.
Old 23rd June 2014, 17:03   #335
BHPian

Thanks GTO

Brilliant read.

I love the tag line you are using.
Old 24th June 2014, 11:48   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Next to impossible for Delhi. We either have a lot of trees or a lot of electrical poles near parking spaces.

Is your advise for parking or driving? Seems like it is for parking as you responded to a parking related quote. If so, we should not be parking in the middle of the road. While driving, one just need to try and avoid submerged parts of the roads.
The advise was for driving off course, in some situations we do have to use the left most lane, care should be taken while doing so.
Old 29th September 2014, 19:26   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2speed View Post
Quite sensitive Rushabh. Why do i get the inclinging that it has something to do with the Mumbai rains
Could you explain 'inclinging'?
Old 25th December 2014, 17:09   #338
BHPian

In my SX4 I have the osram nightbreaker with the regular wattage which provides a decent visiblity at nights. But during a recent downpour noticed that the light was not visible on the road, with an effect of no headlight. Noticed this sometime earlier on a different road in a similar downpour. I had to drastically reduce my speed due to this.

Any idea what could be done, since I wasnt driving on High Beam (I always prefer the low beam)? Reading some related post I guess its the light reflecting off. Anybody else faced similar problems with Xtreme Vision or Night breakers
Old 25th December 2014, 17:32   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Reading some related post I guess its the light reflecting off. Anybody else faced similar problems with Xtreme Vision or Night breakers
Almost everybody will face this.

The solution is to use the stock bulbs which gives a bit of 'yellow' shade which improves visibility a bit in the rains.

Or you can try 'weather vision' and such other bulbs which is specially designed for this.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2014, 17:47   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Almost everybody will face this.

The solution is to use the stock bulbs which gives a bit of 'yellow' shade which improves visibility a bit in the rains.

Or you can try 'weather vision' and such other bulbs which is specially designed for this.
Thanks. That would be a good idea, need to check how it is during normal days. Also will check if the fog lamps could be changed to something similar.
Old 13th June 2015, 23:21   #341
BHPian

I would request Tbhpians to try out "PROKLEAR Nano Glass Sealant Kit – Anti Glare Anti Rain Windshield Treatment" this rainy season. Am using it since last 2 years and it works wonders. It aids beading and sliding water off the windshield.

It is a mere 15 mins DIY job and available for 500 bucks online.
Old 13th June 2015, 23:53   #342
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunnabhaiMBBS View Post
I would request Tbhpians to try out "PROKLEAR Nano Glass Sealant Kit – Anti Glare Anti Rain Windshield Treatment" this rainy season.
That's nice. I wasn't confident in this brand hence in doubt to buy or not.
Ordered the Rain-X (Original Glass Treatment) *for 365 bucks from Amazon. Will be applying this tomorrow evening.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 07:07   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
That's nice. I wasn't confident in this brand hence in doubt to buy or not.
I agree. Currently, it's popularity & brand awareness rank behind other competitors, Products are not available off the shelf yet. I think a budding South Indian entrepreneur imports and ships these chemicals.

I have used Proklear Rinseless wash, Anti fog spray and windshield water repellent and am a satisfied customer!

Last edited by MunnabhaiMBBS : 14th June 2015 at 07:09.
Old 14th June 2015, 18:46   #344
Distinguished - BHPian

Have been using Optimum Opti Seal for a little more than a year and tried it out on the windshield last monsoon. The water just runs off the surface and even at low speeds its very effective.
Old 14th June 2015, 19:08   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Have been using Optimum Opti Seal for a little more than a year and tried it out on the windshield last monsoon. The water just runs off the surface and even at low speeds its very effective.
That's great. How much did it cost and could you please elaborate the application procedure?

Last edited by MunnabhaiMBBS : 14th June 2015 at 19:09.

Most Viewed