Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2015, 07:09   #346
BHPian

re: Safe Driving in the Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Ordered the Rain-X (Original Glass Treatment) *for 365 bucks from Amazon. Will be applying this tomorrow evening.
Have you got this done? How was the experience?
Old 15th June 2015, 11:27   #347
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Preparing your car for the monsoons

• You never know when you may end up stuck on the road. Don't ever let your fuel tank go below the 1/2 level mark. Also, stock up with sufficient supplies of snacks and bottled water. Chocolates, packaged wafer chips and energy bars make for great snacks to store in your car.
Regarding this I have one important observation and a tip to tell. Open food packets attract rodents in the car. I have experienced many incidents where wires/hoses were chewed by rats and there was a half eaten packet of biscuits left in the glove box or an odd candy that had found its way to under the seat. That's why we have a policy of not loading food in the car unless its going on a highway run and definitely no eating inside the car as there's always some crumbs that will fall down and invite rats for a feast.

You can always find something to eat as long as you're in city limits.
Old 15th June 2015, 14:21   #348
BHPian

This is an excellent post GTO. Thanks a lot for all these helpful tips. I'll be sure to distribute braking between my engine and brakes to compensate for my i20's under performing brakes during monsoons. On a lighter note the following tip made me wonder:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Drive around large puddles, you never know what’s lurking underneath.
What could have been lurking underneath ? I am assuming you were referring to a Kraken.
Old 15th June 2015, 15:08   #349
BHPian

Thanks for bringing in this article to the top.
Very informative and very practical
Old 15th June 2015, 15:18   #350

Really Usefull post GTO. But regarding 'Carry a couple of cigarettes or a pouch of tobacco in your glovebox. If visibility becomes a problem due to heavy rainfall, rubbing tobacco on the windscreen works wonders. ' - Actually I would like to know the reason behind this...??
Old 15th June 2015, 22:44   #351
BHPian

Another important point is to go at less speed even if there is absolutely nobody in the road (when raining/when road is wet). IMHO, speed limit of 60Kmph even in an empty highway if the car does not have ESP. Even a slight wrong move in such rainy roads would lead to disaster.

I came across this video in youtube, just look at the disaster in empty road.

Last edited by raghav135 : 15th June 2015 at 22:46.
Old 15th June 2015, 23:51   #352
BHPian

I don't think even ESP would help, most active safety systems are of no use once the car aquaplanes. Looks like the car hit a wet patch and he lost traction, the way the tail swings around makes me suspect he hit the brakes too.

Last edited by batterylow : 15th June 2015 at 23:53. Reason: Changed to Active
Old 16th June 2015, 07:48   #353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunnabhaiMBBS View Post
That's great. How much did it cost and could you please elaborate the application procedure?
This is a 220 ml bottle for which I paid ~1,300 including taxes. The application procedure is simple, clean your application area using ONR or any other solution and spray opti seal onto the applicator pad and gently spread over the surface. During the monsoon it lasts for about 40-45 days after which you will have to redo. I have been using this bottle for the car + all glass surfaces for more than a year and I still have 75% of the bottle full.
Old 16th June 2015, 10:31   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
This is a 220 ml bottle for which I paid ~1,300 including taxes. The application procedure is simple, clean your application area using ONR or any other solution and spray opti seal onto the applicator pad and gently spread over the surface. During the monsoon it lasts for about 40-45 days after which you will have to redo. I have been using this bottle for the car + all glass surfaces for more than a year and I still have 75% of the bottle full.
It's great that the minuscule quantity is yielding satisfactory results. However, any reason for skipping the windshield bond treatment that lasts at least for 2 years ? (Am counting 2+)

Since am a fan of permanent and long term solutions, I would like to request you to try out one of the bonding products this monsoon. Various options are available < INR 500. If you need any help, am just a PM away!
Old 16th June 2015, 14:21   #355
BHPian

Quote:
I would request Tbhpians to try out "PROKLEAR Nano Glass Sealant Kit – Anti Glare Anti Rain Windshield Treatment" this rainy season. Am using it since last 2 years and it works wonders. It aids beading and sliding water off the windshield.

It is a mere 15 mins DIY job and available for 500 bucks online.
Have you felt any considerable benefits? In the rains, the water would persistently lash on your wind-shield and mirrors - the sliding water drops would simply be replaced with new ones.
dozer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 14:50   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer View Post
Have you felt any considerable benefits? In the rains, the water would persistently lash on your wind-shield and mirrors - the sliding water drops would simply be replaced with new ones.
Normally, Water does not bead and slide away quickly enough therefore blocking the vision to the great extent.

With the product that am using, Water beads and slides away rapidly resulting into the clear vision.

Frequency of Wiper usage has reduced even in heavy rains. However, one cannot simply substitute such products for wiper blades.

Please have a look at the Tube video for more clarity.

MunnabhaiMBBS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 14:59   #357
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer View Post
Yes there is considerable benefits. I can vouch for it. I have just applied Rain X on my Front windshield + Rear windshield + ORVM's. Driving in rains is much easier and peaceful with better visibility. After doesn't start at all on the windshield.

With moderate rain I use to keep the wiper on "Low" position but now I leave it to "Intermittent" or sometimes OFF. With highway speeds driving is so much better.

Cars that have no rear wash / wipe will be highly benefited by this. Have applied the same on my Alto K10 VXI too.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Please have a look at the Tube video for more clarity.
Video not available.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 22:39   #358
Distinguished - BHPian

Have been using Rain X for past 3 years and i can say its a bang for the buck product which works well. I apply 3 coats the first time and top up once every month till the rainy season ends . And it works extremely well.

Guys, stop using tobacco and other jugaad alternatives. When you have specialized products at really affordable prices, it makes sense to use them and be safe. You would not want to crash somewhere experimenting jugaad stuff and spend thousands of rupees on repair when you can spend a thousand bucks and get a Rain treatment system that will last you many rainy seasons.
Old 16th June 2015, 23:27   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
I don't think even ESP would help, most active safety systems are of no use once the car aquaplanes. Looks like the car hit a wet patch and he lost traction, the way the tail swings around makes me suspect he hit the brakes too.
I humbly disagree, see this 2007 video of Bosch ESP testing on ice. I guess we all agree that driving on ice at high speeds is probably the toughest.
Old 16th June 2015, 23:46   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav135 View Post
I humbly disagree, see this 2007 video of Bosch ESP testing on ice. I guess we all agree that driving on ice at high speeds is probably the toughest.
I agree, but I was referencing aquaplaning, wherein a thin film of water gets stuck in-between the tire and the ground.

Last edited by batterylow : 16th June 2015 at 23:46. Reason: Removing video

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks