Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2015, 11:52   #391
BHPian

Chennai Floods

Chennai is flooded, in almost all the roads. And it is unsafe to drive on the roads.

And with a lot of public transport disrupted, there is a need for relying on cars and autos. (OLAs and Merus are not plying as well).

Can you please share the tips to drive in a mildly water logged road.
Old 7th January 2016, 12:17   #392
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Safe Driving in the Rains

Check out this Lamborgini Gallardo wading through waterlogged roads like a BOSS

May be he got lucky or did he do this on purpose knowing the car is mid engined ? But still a fun video to watch

Last edited by karan561 : 7th January 2016 at 12:18.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 14:21   #393
Distinguished - BHPian

Was planning to order this product : http://www.amazon.in/Rain-X-Anti-Fog...4165778&sr=1-2

Can Rain-X Anti Fog be used on the interior of the glass that is fitted with clear front film?

Also, how effect is the regular Rain-X? As was planning to order this too http://www.amazon.in/Rain-X-Original...4165778&sr=1-1
Old 31st May 2016, 17:25   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Was planning to order this product : http://www.amazon.in/Rain-X-Anti-Fog...4165778&sr=1-2

Can Rain-X Anti Fog be used on the interior of the glass that is fitted with clear front film?

Also, how effect is the regular Rain-X? As was planning to order this too http://www.amazon.in/Rain-X-Original...4165778&sr=1-1

Its a viable solution for the approaching monsoon. I remember using the same product when i was in dehradun. The monsoon there is really harsh and the drives were all on high altitudes. It worked to an extent but had to start the defogger and AC with the windows rolled down, because of the extreme fog(or clouds) on the roads probably. Should be effective in normal(read not extreme) conditions.
Old 14th June 2016, 13:08   #395
BHPian

Quote:

Also, how effect is the regular Rain-X?
I am not sure of this specific product, but last year I tried this Product . And it didn't work for me. First challenge is application of it. It has to be done meticulously, which I did and it did show some results, but it was not all that great and it lasted only for a week.

The anti rain worked little bit but anti fog did not work at all. I had applied the anti fog even to the IRVM and my glares just for testing, but absolutely no result. The anti fog seemed to be a sham to me.
Old 14th June 2016, 14:16   #396
BHPian

Is there any way we can increase the visibility in Outside rear view mirrors during the rains? Any special water repellent on the OVRM?. It's becoming increasingly difficult to get a clear view as the rain droplets are sticking to the mirror and even cleaning the mirror with a cloth has minimal effect that too for a short time.
Old 14th June 2016, 15:08   #397
BHPian

How safe is it to drive fast though the huge puddles of water on the highway?

Generally, when its raining, you end up driving at a slow speed of 60-80kmph on a highway. Due to inundations of the road, there will be large puddles of water over which you end up driving at 80kmph.

Is there anything to be wary of when we drive through water like this? Will the huge splash of water under the body be a concern? Will it impact any parts?

I always love doing this on empty stretches - like that splash it creates on both sides and I feel my car got itself a free underbody wash

PS: I don't try this in the city to avoid being a nuisance to other road users.
Old 14th June 2016, 15:14   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post

Generally, when its raining, you end up driving at a slow speed of 60-80kmph on a highway. Due to inundations of the road, there will be large puddles of water over which you end up driving at 80kmph.

Is there anything to be wary of when we drive through water like this? Will the huge splash of water under the body be a concern? Will it impact any parts?

I always love doing this on empty stretches - like that splash it creates on both sides and I feel my car got itself a free underbody wash

Going at high speed on the highways in a big puddle of water will pull down the vehicle speed. I have experienced the same. What if a person tailgating hits your car from behind. In such a situation, it is better to turn on the hazard lights and reduce your speed to around 40-45 kmph.
Old 14th June 2016, 15:27   #399
BHPian

Quote:
I am quoting few lines from this thread's first page for your reference:

Quote:

• Avoid puddles like a plague. Firstly, you never know how deep they are. Second, if you are at speed, they can make your car aquaplane in water, leading to an absolute loss of control. Drive around large puddles, you never know what’s lurking underneath.

• Never splash into a puddle as it could severely damage your car. For instance, water getting into your air intake could kill your engine.

Please refer this link for further reading on this subject.
Grand Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 15:36   #400
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is there anything to be wary of when we drive through water like this?
The obvious answer, on any road at any speed, is that people don't have a way to tell the depth of water. Is it a couple of mm? Or is there a major tyre-swallowing hole there, ready to cause big damage?

The next risk is aquaplaning, which, I was taught, is a real risk at speeds of 50MPH and above (80kph). Been there and it's scary.

When there is solid surface water, I feel that it is better to go much slower.

Want to surf? Go to the beach!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 16:22   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
In such a situation, it is better to turn on the hazard lights and reduce your speed to around 40-45 kmph.
Nope friend.

Hazard lights are to be turned on only when your vehicle is stationary/ stand still at a potentially dangerous location eg. Vehicle break down in the middle of the road.

It is a kind of "me-too" practice to switch-on hazard lights in when passing through tunnels, during rains and in foggy circumstances, which is not correct. During Rains and foggy environment, the fog lamps are to be switched on.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 14th June 2016 at 16:25.
King_pin09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 16:27   #402
BHPian

The problem is, when it is raining heavily, its very difficult to predict where you would to get to see that monster puddle on the road. You encounter it suddenly with no time to slow down or react. I met with a near-aquaplaning situation sometime ago, but I managed to regain control by...guess what, taking my foot off all the pedals! It was an extremely scary situation to be in, the car was moving sideways at 80kmph! I guess not doing anything is what saved me that day! If I had panic braked, the car could have drifted out of control. Also, fortunately, there was no other vehicle behind me on the highway.

But from then on, I drive at less than 50 KMPH when it rains or after it has just rained. If it pours heavily with no visibility, I simply stop and wait for the rains to subside.

Last edited by veyron_head : 14th June 2016 at 16:28.
veyron_head is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 16:45   #403
BHPian

Quote:
How safe is it to drive fast though the huge puddles of water on the highway?.
It is as safe as driving fast with both eyes closed.

Quote:
Generally, when its raining, you end up driving at a slow speed of 60-80kmph on a highway. Due to inundations of the road, there will be large puddles of water over which you end up driving at 80kmph..
Friend, 80Kmph during rains is not slow it is called too fast. 25-35 kmph is ideal.

Quote:
Is there anything to be wary of when we drive through water like this? Will the huge splash of water under the body be a concern? Will it impact any parts?.
Water may come in contact with Engine casing, Radiator fan, Batteries and what not all. Corrossion may set in much earlier. Always better to avoid such splashes.

Quote:
I always love doing this on empty stretches - like that splash it creates on both sides and I feel my car got itself a free underbody wash .
If safety is important better avoid such fun and free washes.

Quote:
+1.

Avoid it on highways as well, just to avoid putting yourself into trouble.
King_pin09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 17:33   #404
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_pin09 View Post
Nope friend.

Hazard lights are to be turned on only when your vehicle is stationary/ stand still at a potentially dangerous location eg. Vehicle break down in the middle of the road.

It is a kind of "me-too" practice to switch-on hazard lights in when passing through tunnels, during rains and in foggy circumstances, which is not correct. During Rains and foggy environment, the fog lamps are to be switched on.
I can understand the reaction against using hazard lights to mean irrelevant non-dangerous stuff. One joke in London used to be that they mean I'll just be few minutes in the shop on badly parked vehicles. However, they are not just for stationary use. Why should hazards exist only when you are stopped.

Hazard lights say Look out! Something dangerous! That's all.

Driving into a wall of rain or fog is dangerous. It is also often hard to see until it happens to you. If you are in front of me, your hazard lights will be valid and welcome.

Encountering slow or stopped traffic on a fast road is dangerous. If you are ahead of me, your hazard lights will be valid and welcome. We could both avoid being part of a pile up.

In these and many other hazard-light situations, the one thing that people should do is turn them off when no longer needed.

Over-use of high beams and hazards (thankfully, we don't have many high-intensity rear fogs here yet) has led to over-reaction. There are lots of situations in which they are perfectly fine, and do no harm anyway.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 17:35   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Would strongly recommend "Proklear rain shield" over Rain-X.

Why to take pains of frequent application when a long term solution is available?

Am now entering into 3rd monsoon with PK this year and I must admit that it perfectly served me during last 2 monsoons..

*I have no commercial interest whatsoever in the product.

Last edited by MunnabhaiMBBS : 14th June 2016 at 17:37.

Most Viewed