Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2016, 06:06   #436
BHPian

re: Safe Driving in the Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Just thought I should share this experience of mine for the sake of other members.

Had a narrow escape last week when my car almost aquaplaned. I was on the Thrissur-Angamaly highway nearing Chirangara. It was raining pretty heavily. I was not exactly sticking to the speed limits, as the road was free (my mistake 1). Soon, came across a TN registered Skoda Rapid which was driving on the middle of the 2 lanes. Even after flashing lights and repeated honking he wouldn't budge and occupied the right most lane trying to speed away. So I decided to overtake him through the left lane(my mistake 2). The road was also slightly turning to the right. My frontal visibility was reduced, though I could make out that the road ahead was clear. So I decided to go ahead with the overtaking maneuver (my mistake 3). Just when I was about to finish overtaking , my car came upon a rather wide water stream running across the road (due to improper rainwater drainage) I could feel the loss of traction and ended up doing an unintended drift, with my car's nose pointing to the divider. I was too scared to even press the brakes, and somehow my instinct was to steer to the left. By God's grace, I was able to regain control, and all was well again. All this took barely 3 seconds. But those 3 seconds have made a lifetime impression.

What can we do in such cases of losing traction on a wet road? Are there other counter measures we can employ to regain control?

Always remember...an empty highway doesnt guarantee 100% safety. This is India, after all !!��

Note to mods : If this is not the thread to share this post, kindly move it to the appropriate one.
Yesterday morning while travelling from Thrissur to Palakad I aquaplaned. It was raining heavily and I was driving at a normal speed of 60-80 kmph in a BMW X5. The incident took place when I was overtaking a car from the right. The road was straight, I noticed there was water stagnation on the right side. Unfortunately, I landed up overtaking the car on the left at that water stagnant point. All of a sudden the X5's nose drifted towards left while overtaking, I was literally zapped noticing the drift. Another car was behind my X5. Just to regain control over the car I applied slight brake (which I feel was my mistake) it drifted towards right towards road median. I felt the front right wheel touching the road median slightly before I regain the control over the car. All this happened in a fraction of 3-5 sec and came out of any unfortunate incident. The tyres are in good condition. However it's a first experience with aquaplaning with me.

I understand I shouldn't have touched the brake pedal and tried to manage with steering control. Did that happen because all four wheels were in water??

Last edited by GTO : 15th June 2017 at 10:17. Reason: Language
ImranShahnawaz is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 5th July 2016, 17:51   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knganapathy View Post
It is time they brought in the simple red flashing light at the back that makes cars more visible in poor conditions. Then hazards can be used only as intended.
While the intention is honorable, flashing red (or other colors) lights may not be the best solution - I am imagining myself on the Mumbai - Pune expressway on a Friday evening, say it is raining heavily and am stuck behind hundreds of vehicles all with tail-lamps blinking like that. Probably enough to trigger an anxiety attack or epileptic fits in some.

Blinking lights sure catch attention, but extended exposure is known to increase anxiety in humans.

In recent years, we may have seen many bikes with blinking LED lights placed underbody or towards rear, usually with the intention of being visible to others (but not always for that reason). I have also seen some cars with multicolor LED headlamps turned on for fun or to stun the driver ahead leading them to give way. Most people I have asked said they get irritated seeing these.

Perhaps I am now stretching a bit here, but most of us who agree not to switch on hazard lights during while in motion may be subliminally responding to the above.

So should perhaps only be reserved for extreme situations like hazard lights (with slow pulse rate ) or emergency vehicles (police, ambulance, fire, etc.)

I like hangover's #1 suggestion - brake lights proportional to intensity.
Old 10th July 2016, 11:34   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subuiyer;4009633

Blinking lights sure catch attention, but extended exposure is known to [U
increase anxiety[/u] in humans.

In recent years, we may have seen many bikes with blinking LED lights placed underbody or towards rear, usually with the intention of being visible to others (but not always for that reason). I have also seen some cars with multicolor LED headlamps turned on for fun or to stun the driver ahead leading them to give way. Most people I have asked said they get irritated seeing these.

I like hangover's #1 suggestion - brake lights proportional to intensity.
Agree with you there. Irritating and distracting, too much of hazard lights ! Stuck in a traffic jam, I get irritated even if the guy in front stands with his foot on the brakes for a long time. Most modern cars with clear lens lights , some with double brake lights (two on each side), maybe safer at a distance, but are simply blinding at close quarters ! I myself let go of the BRAKE PEDAL soon after stopping on a level surface. On an incline, I apply the handbrake.
Brake lights proportional to intensity seem a good idea in theory, but may confuse in practice !
Flashing multicolour lights, quite popular these days because of LED technology, are actually illegal, even under or behind vehicles. Calcutta Police do stop and penalise offenders sometimes, but in other places in Bengal there is laxity.

As for ImranShahnawaz's aquaplaning, it may happen whether you apply the brakes or not. It is a thrilling sensation if the road is wide and you are not too close to others, and scary otherwise. Whenever we approach a large area covered with water, we must slow down as the depth cannot be judged. Moreover, if waterlogging of the stretch is chronic (due to bad surfacing, or a drain outlet being clogged over some days), you might get a pothole hiding under, waiting to ruin your suspension !
Again, aquaplaning is often accompanied by water going over your windshield, so you may hit something in front, too !
Old 10th July 2016, 14:44   #439
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
Agree with you there. Irritating and distracting, too much of hazard lights ! Stuck in a traffic jam, I get irritated even if the guy in front stands with his foot on the brakes for a long time.
Me too. I try to remember not to do it to others, but confess that I often forget.
Quote:
Most modern cars with clear lens lights , some with double brake lights (two on each side), maybe safer at a distance, but are simply blinding at close quarters ! I myself let go of the BRAKE PEDAL soon after stopping on a level surface. On an incline, I apply the handbrake.
I suggest that you always apply the handbrake in this situation. It satisfies the dogma that the car should be under control at all times, and the practical aspect that, if the guy behind runs into you, there is much less chance of damaging both ends of your car and having to fight with two drivers.

Quote:
Brake lights proportional to intensity seem a good idea in theory, but may confuse in practice!
The effect is unconcious: we will all take more notice of a brighter light,

Quote:
As for ImranShahnawaz's aquaplaning, it may happen whether you apply the brakes or not. It is a thrilling sensation if the road is wide and you are not too close to others, and scary otherwise.
It is a sensation I can do without! controlled skidding may be part of stunt/rally/track manouvres, but at other times and places we want all four wheels gripping the road. Aquaplaning requires a minimum amount of water and a minimum speed: then the car literally lifts off. Braking does not cause it (this not skidding on a wet surface). Braking and steering will have no effect until the wheels touch ground again.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 19:09   #440
BHPian

Today, it rained very heavily in Gurgaon and consequently there was a lot of water logging on Gurgaon roads. I crossed through one of the water logged roads in my Sx4, though the engine is running fine, but there is a Clutch Slippage & juddering in first gear. There is no problem in engaging gears, but a lot of slippage in 1st and 2nd gear.

Do I need to get the clutch replaced?
Old 13th July 2016, 22:33   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I suggest that you always apply the handbrake in this situation. It satisfies the dogma that the car should be under control at all times, and the practical aspect that, if the guy behind runs into you, there is much less chance of damaging both ends of your car and having to fight with two drivers.

The effect is unconcious: we will all take more notice of a brighter light,

It is a sensation I can do without! controlled skidding may be part of stunt/rally/track manouvres, but at other times and places we want all four wheels gripping the road. .
[B
]Ginathom[/b]Saab, if I start using the handbrakes in start-stop city traffic where we stop every five to ten seconds, I will either get "tennis elbow" and wear out the handbrake lever too, or develop arm muscles like Serena Williams ! Moreover, being an old school driver who started with Willys Jeeps, Land Rovers and JONGA (Nissan Patrol) and only graduated to Maruti Gypsys some fifteen years ago, I always forget to disengage the handbrake unless on an incline. On the point of damage, there may not be damage to both ends, but more on the rear !

We will take notice of a brighter light, but MAY fail to react to a not-so-bright light, that was my point. I sometimes punish persistent 'tail-gaters' who also keep honking without passing, by switching on my sidelights during the day for an instant. On seeing the backlights suddenly come on, some are fooled into thinking I am braking, and screech to a halt ! What if somebody's brakelight comes on at LOW, and I am behind ? I might fall prey to my own trick and ram him ! Moreover, speed-brightness combo brakelights will add another expensive and not-vital bit of electronics to unnecessarily complicate things !

Aquaplaning and 'jeep-jumps' (on speedbreakers) are two thrills I simply love. If someday you find me not replying, be assured that I have finally done too many of these !
SnakemanJohny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 22:19   #442
BHPian

Last night, I was driving from Vadodara to Surat (NH 48) on wet roads with intermittent drizzle & constant spray of dirt and silt from the traffic ahead (largely from heavy vehicles) settling all over on the car. While the windshield was kept clean by wipers, headlight effectiveness was only 20% - 40% at best due to layers of dirt settling on the headlamps. While I could stop to clean the headlamps, I am sure it would be restored to the same condition within minutes given the conditions. From the experience I feel, continues rains are better as compared to drizzle and wet roads. How does one take care of driving in such conditions? Are there solutions available to tackle this issue?
Old 15th August 2016, 12:35   #443
BHPian

I remember older VOLVO ( the brand introduced many safety features now standard on all vehicles) cars, with flat headlamps, had tiny wipers on them. Other than that, or washer jets, I do not think there are any solutions. Mud spray from cars in front, particularly large buses and trucks, IS very irritating and inconvenient.
You are right in observing that continuous rain is better than a drizzle that way. Worst are wet roads just after the rain has stopped.
SnakemanJohny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 13:07   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil.neon View Post
Last night, I was driving from Vadodara to Surat (NH 48) on wet roads with intermittent drizzle & constant spray of dirt and silt from the traffic ahead (largely from heavy vehicles) settling all over on the car. While the windshield was kept clean by wipers, headlight effectiveness was only 20% - 40% at best due to layers of dirt settling on the headlamps. While I could stop to clean the headlamps, I am sure it would be restored to the same condition within minutes given the conditions. From the experience I feel, continues rains are better as compared to drizzle and wet roads. How does one take care of driving in such conditions? Are there solutions available to tackle this issue?
Yes, the continuous rain would at least keep the headlamps clean.

In such situations, I stop and clean the headlamp and tail lamp frequently. It takes only one minute or so. At least it shall be done when you stop for peeing or on a toll plaza.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 10:03   #445
BHPian

Safe Driving in the Rains-_20160819_185250.jpg
Look at this Merc AMG 500E with headlamp wipers shared by #mercedesbenz on Instagram. This was 1990!
nikhil.neon is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 15:43   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1544201
Look at this Merc AMG 500E with headlamp wipers shared by #mercedesbenz on Instagram. This was 1990!
Sometimes practical designs take a backseat to modern and more aerodynamic styling !
SnakemanJohny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 16:03   #447
BHPian

Quote:
I suppose few Skodas (octavia, superb), Toyotas (fortuner) and Hondas (CRV) do feature an headlight washer jet assembly. Albeit installing this assemby is not that expensive, however it is often overlooked by automotive companies and it is added only as a luxury feature.

In my opinion it is a very critical safety parameter and has to be installed upfront on all cars in the same manner as the windshield washer system.
King_pin09 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 21:33   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_pin09 View Post

In my opinion it is a very critical safety parameter and has to be installed upfront on all cars in the same manner as the windshield washer system.
Absolutely agree on that. Easier to fit on all shapes of headlights than wipers. More effective, too for mud !
Old 14th June 2017, 14:20   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_pin09 View Post
I suppose few Skodas (octavia, superb), Toyotas (fortuner) and Hondas (CRV) do feature an headlight washer jet assembly. Albeit installing this assemby is not that expensive, however it is often overlooked by automotive companies and it is added only as a luxury feature.

Safety is the last think we Indians give weightage to bro . We are happier to get auto wipers, auto headlights, auto closing OVRMs, Sunroof and of course oodles of chrome which arent mandatory but increase the bling factor. Things like headlight washer, TPMS, ABS are given a miss which are of paramount importance as far as safety is concerned. Now 2 airbags is being offered as standard in a lot of cars which is good but then again companies like Renault India have gone on to reduce the size of the airbag when compared to what they provide in international markets
Old 14th June 2017, 14:31   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Preparing your car for the monsoons
• Carry a couple of cigarettes or a pouch of tobacco in your glovebox. If visibility becomes a problem due to heavy rainfall, rubbing tobacco on the windscreen works wonders.
Thank you GTO, NC & others for drafting these tips, very useful and timely. I am surprised with the tip that rubbing tobacco on the windscreen helps in improving visibility, thank you for sharing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks