Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2018, 12:09   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Your near-miss experiences on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Did you really think there was enough room to pass that truck? The right wheels of that truck were well into the lane that you were travelling, right from the start of the clip, and gently moving to the right as well.
I thought there was enough space or maybe as u posted I missed it, but then the truck just swerved right. No Indicator, no hand signal. Lesson learnt though(Again).

Last edited by AtheK : 18th March 2018 at 12:15.
Old 18th March 2018, 12:41   #212
BHPian

Here's my experience from 2016.

It was my birthday, and a bunch of us friends had come up to Lonavla from Mumbai in a Zoomcar scorpio. We stayed in a bunglow on birthday eve and next morning we decided to drive up till Amby valley.

The drive was perfectly fine and we were enjoying every bit of that mini vacation. Just when we started the ascent next to naval base, Lonavla, we heard a loud screech. It came from the left turn that is just after the ascent begins. Everyone else sensed danger but luckily, for me, I assumed someone is doing stunts and that was about it, I didn't expect anything else. Then all of a sudden two swift dzire cabs, in a mad rush and racing appeared from that turn. I still sense no danger. Then one of the cabs get out of control as the turn is a bit sharp for anything above 40-50 and they were easily doing 90-100 downhill. It first hit the other cab, then rammed into the fence, deflected and started coming towards us, still in pace. At this moment I knew a crash was imminent. But since I did not panic, I did not do anything defensive and rather brought the scorpio to a dead halt. The dzire driver, at the very last moment, swerved hard, banged into the scorprio's right fender and sped away. We were dazed!! and happily surprised too because we were prepared for a head-on collision. It would have been bad for sure, worse for the dzire. A couple of naval officers came towards us and asked if we were ok. They told us that the cab driver was lucky as just last week a car fell down from the exact spot with casualties. There have been few more accidents too on that turn. Mostly the drunk weekend revellers.

We did not try to chase the cab as it sped away like a maniac and might even have killed someone if we started chasing it.

We resumed our journey but since the joy was taken over by angst and shock, we decided to return from tiger point itself.

I used to drive my wagonr back then and thanked my stars that I didn't take it for the trip. Also, I did not panick otherwise I could have swerved right or left and led to an even bigger accident.

We were all shocked but unhurt. That near miss gives me goosebumps even today. Drive safe guys.
Avalanche2409 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2018, 14:10   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
This happened yesterday on the Hubli Dharwad bypass when we were returning to Bangalore.
You saved your day thanks to your swift reflexes. I too had a similar experience today (link below)and I honestly think, road crossing should be taught at school!
Thilak29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2018, 15:58   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Had this yesterday, when the lorry driver suddenly took a right to overtake a slow moving auto without an indicator or hand signal.
Quote:
I thought there was enough space or maybe as u posted I missed it, but then the truck just swerved right. No Indicator, no hand signal. Lesson learnt though(Again).
May I add this one for your consideration?

In general, do not overtake a vehicle when you cannot know what its driver can see ahead and on his/her left. They may be forced to swerve because of the actions of a vehicle or person you do not even know is there.

Overtaking something large that we cannot see through needs a heap of caution and thought.

Making the other driver aware of your presence is also important. I'd use lights and horn. Although nothing can guarantee that he will hear/see.

As well as the sudden, un-signalled swerve by the truck driver (no excuse for that, he must have been able to see that mini truck for long enough) another "interesting" thing in your video is how close the minitruck is to the bus. Looks like his passenger could touch it by just putting his finger out of the window!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 09:30   #215
Senior - BHPian

Did not happen to me (thankfully) but was apalled when I saw it. Luckily, I caught it on my dashcam.

The two-wheeler person, at 1:35, hijinks the scooter probably because he had a lady in the pillion. In the process, almost got hit by a Tata Kutti-Yanai. If the touch had been a bit harder, he would have had a fairly serious accident. And the poor truck driver would have had hell to pay if something had happened for no fault of his.

Does not seem have learned any lesson. You can see him in the distance at 2:13 showing off on the left side!

Idiot.

Last edited by sridhu : 20th March 2018 at 09:40.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 22:58   #216

bravo_romeo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 12:08   #217
BHPian

A friend from my biking group experienced this on Sunday (18th march).

bugatti is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 12:24   #218
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
Yeah, got this on Whatsapp a couple of days ago. Notice how the Xylo driver starts moving to the left because he noticed the oncoming truck.
Old 22nd March 2018, 12:33   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
You saved your day thanks to your swift reflexes. I too had a similar experience today (link below)and I honestly think, road crossing should be taught at school!
Idk if they do that nowadays, but I remember I was taught this in pre-school or something. And then every time while walking on the road, instructed by my parents. Problem is, kids will follow what their parents do. And if the parents only aren't careful on the road, as is apparent with so many of these videos we see, the kids will do the same.
Old 22nd March 2018, 13:20   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Had this yesterday, when the lorry driver suddenly took a right to overtake a slow moving auto without an indicator or hand signal.
Did you honk? Not sure if it's muted. Anyway, if you didn't, should've honked and made him aware of your presence. No excuse though, for swerving like that without looking, but we need to be extra careful when a truck is already partly in our lane.
I honk away to glory until the truck vacates the lane completely, before passing.

Similar incident happened to me as well, albeit at much higher speeds, and the truck was completely in the left lane. This happened on the Mumbai - Blr highway, between Hubli and Haveri.It's a 4 Lane highway, and I was in the right lane doing about 100 kph. Saw the empty truck in the left lane from some distance away and started honking incessantly to make him aware that I was there. Stopped honking when I was level with it's taillight approximately, fairly certain that he knew I'm there and went in for the overtake, now doing 80. As I committed myself to the overtake I saw the front wheels turn slightly. I sensed danger and instinctively accelerated and swerved just enough to the right. Missed by a whisker.
Turned out there was a bike in front of him, and he was completely unaware of my honking and thought it best to overtake without looking.
You really can't be careful enough on our roads.

P.S : I do know that it wasn't the best thing to accelerate out of that situation, but that's what I did instinctively at the time and luckily got out of it unscathed. Have started braking hard since, in such situations.
Rohan24 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 15:38   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
Discussed before. You can tell him that his own driving is very imperfect!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 09:30   #222
Senior - BHPian

Couple of near misses on Mysore Road when I was traveling from Bangalore to Melkote on 26/27 March:

- A lorry driver, possibly asleep at the wheel, strayed into my lane for no reason when I was at a 100 kmph. Quick reaction & ABS saved the day

- The other is about how stupid bikers are. First one biker, in a green shirt tries to unsuccessfully squeeze between two vehicles. Next another dude just zips between the same two vehicles completely startling me! Guess he thinks helmets are for sissies!

sridhu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 23:54   #223
BHPian

So, this happened to me yesterday night, while coming back from work. It was around 10:30 PM.

Marked in red on the map is the route I take daily. Coming from Kasturba Road, I take a left onto Cubbon road at the UB City signal. It's a free left, but sometimes there are vehicles entering Cubbon road from another direction. In such a case, I slow down at the merging point.

Yesterday, the signal was green, so there was no one coming from any other direction, and it being fairly empty, I thought it would be fine to carry on without stopping. So I slowed down just enough to take the corner, turned in, must've been between 20-30kph, not really sure. And just as I was about to accelerate out of the corner, I see it. A CLOSED GATE! (marked in blue on the map). It would probably be just a few metres from the exit of the turn.
I stomped the brakes, felt the ABS working and halfway through I realized I might crash into it (The gate, not ABS obviously), so I slightly swerved to the right, and fortunately, stopped barely inches away from it. I thanked my stars and the Fiesta for having good brakes there. I turned around and parked it by the side, to take a breather, and also to check whether there were any skid marks.

While I was taking a breather, 2 more cars came through the same turn, albeit a bit slower than me. I frantically signalled to them that it's closed.

So, the reason I'm sharing it here is, isn't it quite stupid to close a road and not put up any warnings about it anywhere? They could simply put barricades on the entry of the turns, which would indicate it's closed. Also, yes I should've been aware that it is usually closed at night, but I'm sure there would be many others who don't know it either. Even Google maps didn't show that it is closed, which is surprising.
Now, if it was a biker in my position, and had he been in the same situation, he would most probably have skidded and hurt himself.

Disclaimer : Before anyone says anything, I do admit that my own driving here should've been safer and I should've been more cautious. I am partly to blame for this as well.
Attached Images

Rohan24 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2018, 09:32   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
- A lorry driver, possibly asleep at the wheel, strayed into my lane for no reason when I was at a 100 kmph. Quick reaction & ABS saved the day
Your video reminded me of very similar situation I was in 3 years ago. I was on the way back from Chennai to Bangalore when the lorry driver swerved onto the right lane exactly like I see in your video. In my case the lorry driver was doing even slower speeds but fortunately there was no one behind me. This happened around 6AM. I overtook the lorry, stopped it and yelled at him. His nonchalant response was, Sorry was loading throughout the night and I am very tired !

Offtopic - What is the make of the dash cam you have. The pics are supremely clear for night mode.

Last edited by SR-71 : 14th April 2018 at 09:34.
SR-71 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2018, 10:03   #225
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Offtopic - What is the make of the dash cam you have. The pics are supremely clear for night mode.
Looks like a Street Guardian SG9665GC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Couple of near misses on Mysore Road

Last edited by a4anurag : 14th April 2018 at 10:04.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed