Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2019, 20:12   #346
BHPian

Re: Your near-miss experiences on the road

Was the biker daydreaming or he's just drunk?

india008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 20:38   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

He does look a bit unsteady. But maybe he just wants the whole road, not just his side of it. There are four- and two-wheeler drivers who think like that.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 20:42   #348
BHPian

I was doing around 60-70 on a road which I frequent. It is a two lane road and the speed was justified and matched by other cars. Suddenly a biker in front of me decided to stop and cut towards the left. I was on a collision course and due to reflex I stomped very hard on the brakes. To my surprise ABS kicked in, Brake Pedal vibrated/pulsed due to on/off action, but the rate of deceleration of my car was lesser than normal braking done at 50-60% of pedal depression. We both came to a halt and I didn't make contact. But I was shocked by this comparatively reduced braking efficiency during panic braking.

This was an one off instance and it didn't happen when tried to replicate.
TN13Sleeper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 23:19   #349
BHPian

Got completely blinded and noticed the bus at the last moment, kudos to those who drive at night on single lane roads with their high beams on.

boniver is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 21:56   #350
Senior - BHPian

Video from my brother's Dashcam - somewhere in TN.

This biker just tried to swerve to the right lane on an overpass - I wonder why he wanted to enter that lane. There is no scope of even making a right turn.

The car was going on the left lane on purpose, because there was another car behind, approaching through the right lane.

Even a speed of 110-120 kmph on an isolated stretch can be risky, because of these people with bird brains.

Last edited by clevermax : 18th August 2019 at 22:05.
clevermax is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 12:52   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

A friend of mine shared this video of his dashcam recording from last month...He faced this scary experience after Krishnagiri toll when he was coming back home from Chennai.

Scary and he was really lucky that day IMO. That casual walk!
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 13:10   #352
Distinguished - BHPian

Scary for the car in front. Your friend had the forewarning of that car's brake lights and reaction.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 07:30   #353
Senior - BHPian

Cows resting or crossing the highways are quite common in India. Here, you can see several cows just sitting peacefully on a 3 lane highway stretch. The Tempo Traveller in front probably saw them quite late, but avoided running into the cows in the last second. He didn't expect so many of them as he probably saw the ones on the rightmost lane only initially.This is on Tamilnadu State Highway 57 near Oragadam (Sriperambudur to Mahabalipuram via Chengelpet)

There's an entire thread on Cattle on Indian roads on team-bhp. As you can see in this video, even though the greenery on the median is sparse, there are plenty of cows grazing and lazing around probably because this is passing through a village area.
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 18:56   #354
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

This narrow escape happened yesterday evening:

As you can see, the ‘squid’ on the bike decides to try and make it through an impossibly small window between my Fortuner, the Swift Dzire up front and another sedan parallel to my car on my left. I missed hitting him by a very narrow margin. Though not visible in the footage, there was another car on my left coming parallel to my Fortuner.

The biker only calculated getting past that car and didn’t account mine and nearly got T-boned.

I’m glad there wasn’t anyone close behind me.

Here is a gif of the incident:
Name:  6750786593C64F88B76F007B9D355BA1.gif
Views: 1806
Size:  1.68 MB
sharc_biker is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 21:04   #355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharc_biker View Post
As you can see, the ‘squid’ on the bike decides to try and make it through an impossibly small window between my Fortuner, the Swift Dzire up front and another sedan parallel to my car on my left. I missed hitting him by a very narrow margin. Though not visible in the footage, there was another car on my left coming parallel to my Fortuner.
Looks more like billiards than driving! Like he actually planned to bounce off you to reach the gap he wants to go through!

By the way, what is the origin of "squid" in the context? I see it regularly and never got around to asking.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 21:53   #356
Team-BHP Support

Had a chap on an expensive bike (didn't get a chance to notice brand/model, but he was in full riding gear) just make a u-turn right across me on a one-way at 11 PM. Location lower Agaram junction signal, I was driving from ASC College side towards Lifestyle store junction.

I give him an exasperated look as I stomp on the brakes, and he glares at me like I'm the idiot!

Even the apparently responsible ones are idiots now!
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 22:23   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Had a chap on an expensive bike (didn't get a chance to notice brand/model, but he was in full riding gear) just make a u-turn right across me on a one-way at 11 PM. Location lower Agaram junction signal, I was driving from ASC College side towards Lifestyle store junction.

I give him an exasperated look as I stomp on the brakes, and he glares at me like I'm the idiot!

Even the apparently responsible ones are idiots now!
This is a very common scene. On the highways, I have seen folks like them driving on the middle lane, right most lane and won't respond to your honking as well.
Harleys, and other high end bikes with full riding gears doesn't make them any better as most of them are just another average Joe that we come across everywhere giving a damn to the road etiquette.
GladRagu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 22:28   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Looks more like billiards than driving! Like he actually planned to bounce off you to reach the gap he wants to go through!

By the way, what is the origin of "squid" in the context? I see it regularly and never got around to asking.
I assume these persons navigate on the road just like the squid and hence the name.

Just watched a squid video and it perfectly matches with their driving style
GladRagu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 22:50   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

This link describes the term. You can find them in plenty on our streets.

https://badasshelmetstore.com/motorc...efer-ride-way/

Last edited by swissknife : 30th August 2019 at 22:51.
swissknife is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 03:25   #360
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GladRagu View Post
I assume these persons navigate on the road just like the squid and hence the name.
I'm still struggling to relate this to a water creature realted to an octopus...
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
This link describes the term. You can find them in plenty on our streets.

https://badasshelmetstore.com/motorc...efer-ride-way/
Ahhh... That could be called Squids for the Uninitiated. Except that, of course, I am all too initiated in all aspects except the name.
Quote:
In simplest term, the phrase is used to define someone who is riding a motorcycle with lack of common sense. The urban dictionary defines a motorcycle squid as someone who over-estimates his abilities while riding a bike, and is over-confident of his abilities despite lacking any relevant skills.
Thanks both: I can now use the word too
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed