Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2005, 10:02   #16
BHPian

Well, Sometimes in ghats and twisty roads you are tempted to use the entire road to take corners at speed, e.g. on a 2 way 2 lane undivided road u feel like kissing the apex on a right turn, NEVER DO IT, there could be some other equally committed guy taking a left turn coming from the other side
Old 16th March 2005, 10:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

while driving on bridges , especailly the ones that are over a expanse of water - NEVER DRIVE OR OVERTAKE FROM THE LEFTMOST LANE. u never which moron has stopped to throw flowers in the water or is just admiring the scenery
Old 16th March 2005, 13:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

and whenever, u see water on the road, reduce ur speed before u hit it or just speed over water.dont brake when you are on the wet patch.

and never brake when you are in between a corner.your vehicle can skid off the road.
Old 16th March 2005, 14:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
and whenever, u see water on the road, reduce ur speed before u hit it or just speed over water.
good point, but i'd say speed over it only if u r sure that its not a pothole. Most of the times its difficult to tell how deep the water is jus by looking at its surface.

Another point, and this may sound strange.... but never... never ever stop your car to let a pedestrian cross the road unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure that no two wheeler is gonna come from behind u and ram into the crossing pedestrian who would have assumed that its safe to cross the road coz a car has stopped.
Remember... in such a case, the pedestrian wont be able to see the two wheeler coming and the two wheeler guy wont be able to see the pedestrian crossing the road.

Amitoj
Old 16th March 2005, 14:49   #20
BHPian

adjust your rear view mirrors both the external and internal mirrors so that almost all blind spots are eliminated.
the external rear view mirrors must show your car on 1/3rd of it and the rest behind your car.

when driving in congested roads where you might shift lanes it will be wise to adjust the external mirors so that they show more of the space to the sides of your car.
Old 17th March 2005, 14:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

always blast your horn when negotiating a curve on the ghats .....helps.

let the heavy vehicles have a right of way first when on the ghats .
Old 17th March 2005, 14:54   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy

let the heavy vehicles have a right of way first when on the ghats .
u can do that if the heavy vehicle is overtaking on an upward incline otherwise even the entire road is never enough for these truckers.

of all the truckers,i have found AP and MH truckers to be the most rash.so always give way to an AP Comet ALL truck if ur in a slower vehicle.

also try to maximise the use of engine braking to reduce your speeds on downhill stretches as constant use of the brake pedal can heat up the brakes making them less -effective.

dont imitate what the other driver is doing,he may be drunk or maybe in a car which handles better than yours.

i think this much is enough for now
Old 17th March 2005, 20:03   #23
BHPian

donno bout red bull...but in thailand every one involved in long distance driving use a drink called m1 ... which is a sleep deterrent... however sleepy you might be... believe me ... i've used it myself and it's effective for 3-4 hours...till you have another one
Old 18th March 2005, 09:50   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vance0712
what about the manikchand that i see so many drivers eat
many of my friends do it too especially on long drives

whats up with that

not that i wanna start with it .......

It is supposed to keep you alert I guess.
Old 4th January 2006, 17:52   #25
BHPian

While overtaking always be in the "right" gear and increase your speed slightly while pulling the maneuver.
Dont use the HIGH BEAM unless on an empty and dark road.
Dont use the horn needlessly. There are occasions when people have got in trouble with the law and the goons for using it excessively.
Do not use the clutch if your RPM falls below the ideal RPM for that gear. Downshift instead.
Try and smile in case you get in a "situation". More often than not the person in front of you will smile back and instead of getting "ugly" the situation could well turn out to be the only good thing that happened to you the whole day.
Use dippers on the high ways while overtaking.

Last edited by RacingForIndia : 4th January 2006 at 17:54.
Old 4th January 2006, 18:26   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
1. Keep something to chew on or munch when on a long drive. Helps you stay alert. Heard Red Bull helps u stay focussed on long drives. Dunno whether true or not.
Yes it is true.

Surya
Old 13th January 2006, 19:40   #27
Senior - BHPian

While on my way to Ooty on the ghat section, the van driver in which I was traveling, went to the exterme right on a turning. I was shocked why he does that when a lorry is coming in the opposite direction. The lorry moved to opening on the left & passed away. After the lorry went, the van driver moved the van.

Watched him closely whether he does the same in all the turnings when a heavy vehicle comes in the opposite direction & found that he does only in certain turnings.

Why so? any idea
Old 13th January 2006, 20:14   #28
BHPian

[quote=drifterIf your car has a poor turning radius or if the U-turn is very tight, just before the U-turn, pull the car to the left a bit and then cut right at the apex of the turn. Its like a racing line but its taken at sedate speeds. You start wide and cut the apex and get out wide....but in the city its best not to exit wide as you have to be careful of traffic. This way, three point turns can be avoided at most times.

[/QUOTE]

ahem...This is Hyderabadi style of taking a left or a right turn...& it i pretty irritating....People take the Left Turn from the extreme Right Lane & Vice Versa...
Many vehicles in Hyd have scratches/dents because of this !!
Old 14th January 2006, 22:09   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitava
donno bout red bull...but in thailand every one involved in long distance driving use a drink called m1 ... which is a sleep deterrent... however sleepy you might be... believe me ... i've used it myself and it's effective for 3-4 hours...till you have another one
I am so exited about driving that I don't need to take any stimulants, not even Tea or Coffee because I need to stop the car for that.

Keep your Tyre pressure a little lower, about 2 Lbs. than normal during long trips. Air tends to expand when tryes get hot after a long run especially in summers.

Carring an extra tube with will help you in saving time in getting your punctures repaired at small towns. Just have the Tube replaced and move on and have them repaired at your days halt destination.

Please remove the dust caps from all your Tube valves. ( very Important). At ooty once some one put a small pebble under the dust cap and tightened it just enough to have a flat at the right place where you could be mugged. Since I always carry 2 spare wheels on long trips I was saved luckily. Later while repairing the Flats the puncture repairer showed me the trick on both my flat tyres. Ever since I don't use these dust caps.

Always carry a disguised weapon. I always carry a pointed Cricket stump and keep each one at the floor near all the doors. Just in case of an emergency. Even if there is a security check, one can always say that you play the game.

Always carry paper cups and plates with you and use them at all the Dhabas and Tea shop. No point getting sick in an unknown place.

Driving at speeds of about 100-120 gives you the best average on your journey time. An average distance of 60 Kms per hour is a very good average for Indian Roads.

While braking sharply to go over a speed breaker, brake only till you have reached the speed Breaker & just as your front wheel goes over the Breaker, release your brakes and you would pass over the bump without even knowing it.

BTW, I find all the truckers the most patient and caring Drivers on the Highway. The ones I detest are the long distance Buses, and the sand trucks, who are are extremely rash.

Soccer
Old 16th January 2006, 14:15   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer
Keep your Tyre pressure a little lower, about 2 Lbs. than normal during long trips. Air tends to expand when tryes get hot after a long run especially in summers.

Soccer
hey ..i think u need to rethink ..please read some of the tire threads ...they will advise you to increase tire pressure by 2psi...NEVER REDUCE YOUR TIRE PRESSURE!!!!!!!!!....enuf has been written on this ..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks