Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2008, 19:11   #16
BHPian

Good that you both were unhurt. I too have experienced a similar incident couple of years back. It is not only the eyes to be on the road, all our senses should be on the road when we are drinving on expressways.
Old 9th September 2008, 19:29   #17
Senior - BHPian

I have been lucky with this habit. Few times I ended up braking hard to avoid hitting the vehicle as I take the eyes off the road.

From there bit of extra attention not to get diverted
Old 9th September 2008, 19:34   #18
Senior - BHPian

bad - u crashed, and good - to learn the unhurt part.

got some pics? for all to understand the extent of the damage and the passenger zone safety limits? Only if you dont mind...
Old 9th September 2008, 19:52   #19
BHPian

As an Aside i must commend the prompt response of the ExpressWay Patrol Guys. I called the helpline and within 10 mins a patrol car was with me. Those guys helped us and also arranged for a Tow Truck . Even the questions on the helpline phone were very professional. Their first priority was in making sure no one was injured and then they proceeded to ask details like vehicle damage and make.
Old 9th September 2008, 20:38   #20
BHPian

Glad you both are safe.
You have to do bit of chit chat while on a long drive or else it can so boring. But concentration and alertness is must. I never take my eyes off the road even when I indulge in all activities, including some light snacks.
Old 9th September 2008, 20:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

@peregrine , its extremely lucky that both of you had escaped unhurt ...and yes do keep your eyes on the road especially when you are cruising as thne you have very less time to react .

As for ICE i generally either pull over or ask my co driver to do the setting taking my eyes off the road for changing an ICE setting is simply not worth the effort
Old 9th September 2008, 21:07   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Peregrine seems you and your wife had a providential escape. That's good luck. Hope the car is restored and the 20 days pass off quick.
This accident can happen to anyone on the move. We can only try to be more careful to avoid such encounters with the "inevitable".
Old 10th September 2008, 12:06   #23
BHPian

Hey Peregrine, glad that you both were unhurt and those learnings are really good reminders because we all tend to commit that mistake of taking our eyes off for a few seconds.

I think this problem applies to city traffic too. I faced this prob a few times - I check my side RVMs regularly when in a lot of traffic so as not to brush against anyone. But sometimes the vehicle in front suddenly stops because of people crossing or something and the moment you get your focus back from the side RVMs, you'd see yourself ambling towards the vehicle in front. May not be a fatal accident if hit, but still would lead to a few dents and some squabbling in the middle of the road.
Old 10th September 2008, 14:56   #24
BHPian

Peregrine : Glad that you both came out unscathed. Please update us on the expenses and replacements involved.
This has again proven that Swift is good in the passenger safety part though the body would have taken a real beating !!
Old 10th September 2008, 15:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to almighty that you both came out unhurt.

By the way one question: How it climbed to divider and got to other side. When I traveled Mumbai Pune Express way the divider were not so low.
Old 11th September 2008, 16:59   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Thanks to almighty that you both came out unhurt.

By the way one question: How it climbed to divider and got to other side. When I traveled Mumbai Pune Express way the divider were not so low.
It did not climb the divider. After colliding with railing , it went to other side, came back towards the divider. On the expressway, there are patches where the two sides are separated by a garden / vegetation growth and there is no railing. Our car went to other side as Railing had finished and garden ditch had started.

Everyone else, thanks for your good wishes. We indeed consider ourselves lucky. Would update you guys on the Expenses.
Old 13th September 2008, 10:21   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats what you call luck!!!
No oncoming traffic on a busy expressway!
Thank the almighty that both of you are sound and safe, all that suffered was the car!
Old 15th September 2008, 19:01   #28
BHPian

Hey its nice you guys didnt get hurt. I had an accident a coule of months ago, on the way to Goa. Car went across the divider and again luckily no one was coming down the otherside. Also no one hurt to badly - just a bruised knee and a back. Wasnt going fast at all - maybe about 80KMH, but because we slowed down, you tend to get distracted more easily. Oh well - Lesson learnt and everyones ok.
Old 16th September 2008, 09:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

Good that both of you are safe. Has the repairs being doen? What are the details of the work being carried out. An important lesson for all of us here as taking one's eye off is a common thing, even if its for a few seconds.
Old 16th September 2008, 10:07   #30
BHPian

even my brother has a swift vxi, the car started mysteriously spinning when at 80kms speed with with a slight turning of the steering wheel. you might have heard of this with other swift owners as well. then the rear axle was bent and Maruti said the axle in swift is weak and cant be done anything about it. we got it replaced. but the car still suffers in drivability.

moral of the story: Swift is not a great car by design, people should go in for reliable products when safety is a concern. you can still argue with me, but that is the advantage at which companies with cheap manufacturing thrives on.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks