Team-BHP - Safari accident : Toppled
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Safari accident : Toppled (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/49562-safari-accident-toppled-10.html)

Since you spend sometime on my post let me do the same. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 1069548)
Exactly. It's you. And some more people who understand the limitations of these trucks.

Apparently the thread starter did not. And others who own one still think it was "just" the turn. Looking at that road and knowing a long train of trucks on the opposite side i wouldnt be pushing a EBD,ABS,Hill descent(i know its not required but a gadget to have, its SUV no? :D), GPS(to know that "the turn" existed) + navigator equipped Subaru Impreza round it at more then 60 kmph forget a Safari at 100-110 kmph.

But then again, its just me.

Quote:

And that's why I would not put most of the other "Bolero" drivers along with you.
I prefer to be a safe driver. Have been lucky enough to blast around in a M5 in Germany at speeds which looking at the speedo made me disbelive it all together, shaking like a leaf once i got out of it. In India i never drive above 90-100 kmph ever.

Quote:

Rural Folk. As in drivers of rural vehicles. Vehicles used in rural areas for mass transportation. Invite you to sit in these, like those diesel autos used for moving goods. Even the trucks used for transportation. These are the guys who will drive like no other vehicle existed on the road. Stopping for passengers every few meters. Reaching the highest gears at the lowest speeds, just to stretch that liter. He is just not concerned if there is an ambulance behind him, or if he is causing a mile long stretch of vehicles trying to pass him.
Now take out the taxi part and picking up people and think about drivers in cities. They are no different.

Again a lot of generalization. How many privately owned Bolero and its ilk have you seen been driven like the taxi's are being driven. Dont you see taxis and auto's being driven in exactly the same way in our cities too? Its not rural and city its a mindset of these taxi drivers which is common be it a city or a village. Quoting something like Bolero's are driven by rural folk hence rash is well a very ignorant view.

Quote:

Their driving is totally different from the people driving similar vehicles (read trucks vs buses). This is the other set . The set that is driving like his life depeneded on it - like he better get away & never brake if he wants to stay alive.
Again these are not rural drivers. These are privately operated buses shuttling between small villages. The driver maybe from a rural place but his mentality is related to the owner of the bus truck wo probably is a local politico.

Quote:

And put in others !
You quoted those comments as an answer to my comments what i believed i had to ignore. So technically those comments were yours since you quoted them from a different thread under your username. So my reply. Get it?

Quote:

They buy a lot of Safari's & Scorps. But they dont drive like maniacs. The reasons they buy it are varied. Varied reasons I have been seeing over time, but then again, it also includes a few people who do drive them without understanding them. And there's always the exceptions who will try the drifts ...
i.e. because they are not taxi's.

Sorry for the baap of OT's. But i still think the limitaions of your car or SUV should be uppermost in your mind before you get behind that wheel. Not everyone is as lucky as this.

Quote:

Yes, A crash guard,
If you mean the "bull bars" / bull guard; please don't. Look around in the forum for reasons.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfire (Post 1070352)
And others who own one still think it was "just" the turn.

I think you've not read my edited post. My "Just the turn" comment was in answer to your "what else?" question. Other than everything else you had already mentioned in your post.

If you still want to draw your own conclusions, its a free world sir. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfire (Post 1070352)
How many privately owned Bolero and its ilk have you seen been driven like the taxi's are being driven.

Since you ask, I can say at least one. One joker who tried to run me off the road and on the pavement on Kensington Road, Bangalore - I was in the Indica.

Quote:

Spitfire : Sorry for the baap of OT's. .
@Spitfire, no problem about the baap of OT's. The point was about stability of UV's, and how they are driven. One kind of related point in the discussion will be to say that the Trax Classic / Toofan is a safer vehicle, and should be promoted as an alternative to SUV's like the Safari. :D
Quote:

Spitfire : Again a lot of generalization. How many privately owned Bolero and its ilk have you seen been driven like the taxi's are being driven.
Anyway, if you do come across any survey that has studied the ownership & usage (style) of Boleros in non-urban India, do let me know. Till then, I will stay with the summarization that TSK had posted, quoted again here below :
Quote:

tsk1979 : * ... there were around 5-6 bolero's out of which 3 were roll overs, and there were same number of scorpios and all of them were rollovers.
* It has more to do with mindset of drivers too. The potential bolero customer is not likely to take high speed turns.
* The potential Safari/Scorpio driver comes from sedan land, and is more prone to take high speed turns.
* Bolero sales are quite a bit in rural areas, and I have never seen villagers try to do drifts etc.,
I think you have missed what TSK was trying to say here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrag (Post 1070394)
I think you've not read my edited post. My "Just the turn" comment was in answer to your "what else?" question. Other than everything else you had already mentioned in your post.

If you still want to draw your own conclusions, its a free world sir. :)

Ok my bad, sir. Apologies. But the non edited post gave a whole different meaning and thats what i saw.

Quote:

Since you ask, I can say at least one. One joker who tried to run me off the road and on the pavement on Kensington Road, Bangalore - I was in the Indica.
90% of the drivers are like that in Bangalore. Its not a Bolero thing. I will add it to my bad driver because of Bolero statistics along with the bad drivers because of other makes database.

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 1070407)
@Spitfire, no problem about the baap of OT's. The point was about stability of UV's, and how they are driven. One kind of related point in the discussion will be to say that the Trax Classic / Toofan is a safer vehicle, and should be promoted as an alternative to SUV's like the Safari. :D

I get the jest, but what you are trying to advocate is lost on me. I understand you are trying to say that Safari/Scorpio owners should move to Trax Classic/Toofan because of lower CG. Better still lets try and make SUV owners like Safai/Scorpio to drive within their vehicles limitations. Excuse like i moved from a sedan to a Safari hence i toppled it is well - you tell me?

Quote:

Anyway, if you do come across any survey that has studied the ownership & usage (style) of Boleros in non-urban India, do let me know. Till then, I will stay with the summarization that TSK had posted, quoted again here below :
I think you have missed what TSK was trying to say here.
There was actually a survey done by some Mahindra dealerships along with Mahindra in some rural and urban areas i am aware of. Now not the presentation and board room type of surveys but more of what they could like to have in their Bolero's over and above what is already provided. Safety features, power, comforts. I was a part of a similiar survey done by one such dealer who reported the findings to Mahindra and we do see a CRDe version out now. Also better brakes, with a bigger booster and bigger tyres was being tested, trying to find out why it never came into production. Also they didnt go through the whole survey correctly looks like - they didnt get the price right.

So the summarizaton you agree too isnt quite right, the mindset being talked about and the clientele that the Bolero has. I am a Senior Manager in my firm and i drive a Bolero. We have a Bolero club here in Bangalore with members ranging from students to senior management folks in MNC's. So there. We are around 25 of us. I also interact a lot with Bolero owners mostly from the mining area's of North Karnataka and have a sedan like an Optras, Lancers and City's in their stables. And i am pretty sure they dont drive their Bolero's like they drive the sedans or go drifting in them.

I have personally clocked a 110 on the Bolero on a GPS. The vehicle can get upto those speeds albeit in a lot of time. But anyone driven down NH4 can know you can hold those speeds for quite sometime. I dont do the same on smaller roads with trucks coming from the opposite side.

If the vehicle i am driving inherently makes me a safer driver because of its shortcomings. I am not complaining.

But if i drive a much powerful vehicle with higher CG and expect it to overcome my shorcomings over its, then luck is all you can trust in.

Lets call a spade a spade.

Lets drop it mate:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfire (Post 1070574)
Lets call a spade a spade.

The spade to me was a combination of factors - the time of the night, the rain, the speed...........and the sharp turn. Now, shall we move on before this becomes a Safari/Scorpio/SUV vs Bolero thread:D?

Quote:

Originally Posted by suman (Post 1070582)
Lets drop it mate:)

agree: Dropped it. la...de...da...dum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay4587 (Post 1069618)
for the second time i am reading such thoughts on the forum.
guys its just a safari not one of the safest automobile on earth.

Relax akshay4587. I am not that dumb to call Safari the safest automobile nor do anyone on this forum. Dont take these words from the point of physics and technical features.

Treat it from an emotional angle. People tends to build an attachment to car once they come out from it without getting hurt. I know many friends who still keep their old cars calling them their lucky cars. Definitely your technical reasoning cannot be applied to these cases :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 1066908)
Even in the west, most of SUV accidents are roll overs.
Your tall vehicle is not a car, it cannot and will not corner like a car. You cannot fight physics. A ladder on frame chasis with a high GC will topple of cornered hard

You are very correct Tsk1979.

Boxy body sitting on ladder frame, higher ground clearance will have inproportionate centre of gravity of the vehicle. Road hugging charecteristic of car is lost in SUVs. Result is easy topple.

Once the rollover momentum occurs, no matter what ever you think and do, will not have positive effect.

Holyghost, you and your friends were lucky enough to scath through unhurt. Consider yourself lucky. Because it was tata safari, you were saved. Again, ABS is effective in cars and road hugging vehicles, not in SUVs like Tata Safari.

Dar sabko lagtha hain, dar ke aage jeeth hain. Bottomline. keep the fear in its place and take care and drive on.

Dwarak

Dwarak

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 1070099)
:eek: wasnt there any oil lose etc???
Better lights next time. And as you said, if your are comfortable at night why not.

No oil leaks, That too after lying in that position from 2AM to 8AM :eek:.
I had 2 flat tyres and there was some (minor) leak from the brake hose near the front left wheel and wheel allignment was affected.

I checked the levels for all fluids and even the mechanic did a proper testing before driving.

Buddy,
Thank God,you are lucky to survive such a crash. Always stick to basic principles of driving irrespective of the car.Just a friendly piece of advice for a fellow bhpian,our community should spread awareness about safe driving. God bless.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holyghost (Post 1070744)
No oil leaks, That too after lying in that position from 2AM to 8AM :eek:.

Thats Amazing from a TATA vehicle.

Hey dude thank GOD all you guys are safe n sound.................

After a long time, I saw my thread mentioned in someother thread. Hence thought of updating the status.

The Total repair costs came to 1.44 L
ICICI Lombard paid 95K, that too after a lot of fighting with the ICICI guys.
I got the vehicle delivered on Jan 15th.

Status as of now:
Rattling left doors.
Rain Water leaking inside from Front Left Doors.
Wind Noise from the left side above 100kmph. (Sounds like a storm happening outside)
Inferior Painting (Uneven surface) on the entire left side.

Complained to Tata Motors and asked if they could do the rework done in Bangalore. They've asked me to take the vehicle back to Pondicherry where I did the repair. I still haven't got time to take the vehicle till there. Hoping to give it for re-repairing sometime this month.

Thats a shame. Quite some shabby work done there! Did you get in touch with the manager at the Pondy garage? You should keep them posted, so that they don't wash their hands off the situation & leave you stranded.