Team-BHP - Safari accident : Toppled
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Safari accident : Toppled (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/49562-safari-accident-toppled-3.html)

Ok now I see the cause of topple.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holyghost (Post 1066494)

I should have been around 100 or 110, not more than that.

it was raining slightly

misjudged the turn.

blinding high beam

I don't want to be sounding rude, but... that was sheer carelessness on your part on doing triple digit speeds, in the rain and that too, without seatbelts.

the Tbhp scorpio fan club is going to have a field day with this. I hope they dont see this :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zappo (Post 1066554)
I see that yours is a 4x4. I suspect a more expert hand (4x4s) could have saved that mind numbing tailspin that you went into. It might have caused some damage to the transmission but still the vehicle could have fought back instead of spinning out of control and then tumbling over.

More than 4x4, the ABS and EBD on the VX model could have helped me a lot in this situation. To be frank, now I really regret going in for the EX 4x4 instead of a VX 4x2 cosidering the similar pricing of both the models.
Tata should provie ABS as atleast an option on their models.

[quote=headers;1066598
@Zappo: One cant engage 4x4 on such roads. Also, he would have hardly had time to correct the vehicle from the rear end sway. These vehicles are heavy and when correcting, they move from one direction to the other. One trusts one's instinct in such situation.

If the vehicle came with an ALL WHEEL DRIVE, well its a different issue altogether![/quote]

Rightly said Zappo. In these situations, one can use his senses only upto a limit. I too did a lot to correct the vehicle by turning towards the skid, But once I saw the vehicle heading towards the river, it was just plain reflex. You should also consider all this happened in a span of 3-4 seconds. Unless you are trained for these type of stunts, it is almost impossible.

Holyghost, very glad that you and your friends are safe after such an accident.

Moral of this incident : Driving at 100/110kmph in 2 lane roads when it is drizzling/raining, in any vehicle is not such a good idea.

Thanks for sharing this : it will remind me to drive even more cautiously in rainy conditions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by toiingg (Post 1066636)
I don't want to be sounding rude, but... that was sheer carelessness on your part on doing triple digit speeds, in the rain and that too, without seatbelts.

And at 2 am in the morning ....... clap:
You got away with something pretty light, my dear friend. On Indian highways any surprise can come up at any moment and we have to be constantly on our toes. But I suppose you have learnt all this by now !!!

Holyghost,
That was a close shave..
Reminds me of a BRO (Border Road Organization) signboard

" Its better to be called Mr. Late
Than be called Late Mr......"

Drive Responsibly,
Drive Safe,
And Always Wear Seat Belts!!

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by raj_5004 (Post 1066431)
bad experience holyghost. but this just taught you that big SUVs are not meant for high speed cornering and it is always better to slow down till you cant judge a corner properly. anyways, let bygones be bygones! thank god you are safe.

I agree with Raj here, SUV's although rugged are not meant for high speeds and are notorious in the US (as per stats) to topple at high speeds on highways. For speed thrills use a low GC car.

Quote:

I should have been around 100 or 110, not more than that. as I mentioned it was raining slightly and I misjudged the turn. I should say I didn't even notice the turn as there were no sign boards nor center markings on the road, and a truck with their usual blinding high beam was coming in my lane already. I almost went to the edge of the road to avoid the truck and once it passed by, I see the turn :Shockked:.

Not able to anticipate the turn at high speeds is disastrous for any vehicle and that too with a narrow bridge after it. If not familiar with the roads, one should keep the speeds low and that too during night drives.

Quote:

I slightly applied the brakes and started negotiating the turn. The vehicle started skidding and I had to straighten the steering a bit to control the skid (that was a bad move, I shud have downshifted instead. stupid: Anyways, lesson learned). This sent left wheels off the road, into the mud and the rear started swaying.

Downshifting at those speeds could have made the vehicle spin immediately and there were chances of going under the bridge or hitting the rails in a rotary motion.

Quote:

I knew it is going out of control and braking was not a good idea then (its an EX, no ABS). Immediately downshifted, still trying to control the skid, I notice I am heading towards the river and the bridge is much towards my right.

ABS could have helped under such circumstances, to an extent, but ESP/ VSC would have definitely helped.

Quote:

Then it was just plain reflex, and no brains. I slammed the brakes, turned completely towards right. After that it was all happening by its own in ultra slow motion as if in the movie matrix. I was helpless and just a spectator watching and feeling each milli second, doing nothing (or did I do anything, dont remember. But still wouldn't have made much difference).

I can understand the reflexes and the thoughts going on, you only have spilt seconds, having experienced hard braking from 120 myself. But all is well that ends well, although vehicle got damaged but can be repaired.

Life teaches at every corner, only we need to learn and correct ourselves.

You're lucky to be able to sit around and type this out after toppling a vehicle at 3 digit speeds, that too without wearing seatbelts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 1066650)
the Tbhp scorpio fan club is going to have a field day with this. I hope they dont see this :D

Do you really think that anybody really cares what the Scorpio fan club has t think about this incident. Coudnt a Scorpio get into such a situation ? Couldnt any other vehicle get into a similar situation.? This icident serves to highlight what can happen to an suv at 3 digit speeds on a corner. I am sure every suv owner has taken such a corner at some time or the other during his suv ownership.Its time so sit up and see what could happen.. this is especially true for me.

After reading HOLYGHOST' whole episode i think he and his friends are truly fortunate to get away without injury.

@ HOLYGHOST> Its very sad to know that you have had a hassle with ICICI. After such an event as yours, its furthur painful to have to haggle for insurance which is rightfully yours. PLease do elaborate on that episode too. Im sure it will save a lot of other readers the hassle of ICICI Lombard. I think there is another case on this forum about ICICI too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holyghost (Post 1066247)
It was a sharp right turn leading to the bridge, drizzling and a slippery road. A bit of over-steer while avoiding the incoming traffic sent my rear wheels skidding off the road. The mud on road side helped the rear to swing all way to the left and then all effort to control the vehicle went in vain as I saw the bridge. I had no other option other than to enter the bridge at any cost. And in a frantic effort I entered the bridge with the beast running on just 2 wheels and finally toppled.

And now I know its not so hard to tumble this moving bungalow :eek:

I assume this bridge is between Krishnagiri & RS Mathur if so I know this bridge very well, a few years back when the stretch used to be a mix of two lane and single lane roads, the stretch just after the bridge used to be a single lane road. I almost lost my M800 when I drove on this stretch for the first time, fortunately I was not driving too fast hence could steer my way through to reach the bridge safely only to find the single lane road greeting me on the other side

"Just read your other reply saying you were about 100 kms short of Pondicherry, if so you should have been near Tiruvannamalai, am trying to recollect which bridge is a sharp turn where you could have met with this accident."

Quote:

Originally Posted by toiingg (Post 1066636)

[quote=Blue Thunder;1066664]
Moral of this incident : Driving at 100/110kmph in 2 lane roads when it is drizzling/raining, in any vehicle is not such a good idea.
quote]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team (Post 1066670)
And at 2 am in the morning ....... clap:
You got away with something pretty light, my dear friend. On Indian highways any surprise can come up at any moment and we have to be constantly on our toes.

agree:. Lesson learned. But it is human tendency (or may be just mine) as you build up more confidence on your vehicle, you tend to speed up. I had covered 18K KM on this vehicle and most of it were the BLR - Trivandrum overnight trips at speeds of 140. It was this overconfidence that did the trick.

I thank God that I ended up with just a warning, and killed that extra bit of confidence. I will be a more responsible citizen from now on.

Looks really bad, one should thank his stars for coming alive with such incidence. This has further confirmed my belief in driving in low speed where-in one is not so much sure about road condition and turns.

Best of luck for fast recovery of your truck !!

I hope you understood the importance of safety features before taking the wheel of that beast. Atleast you should have read the booklet which comes with the car which tells the Dos and the DONTs.
Not wearing seatbelts is like talking of suicide and you did exactly that with family on board.
And doing 100-110 at 2AM in NH66 is absolutely not advisable when there are some sharp curves enroute.

GOD has given you another life. Make the most use of it by changing your attitude towards driving.

Abhi

Quote:

I should say I didn't even notice the turn as there were no sign boards nor center markings on the road, and a truck with their usual blinding high beam was coming in my lane already. I almost went to the edge of the road to avoid the truck and once it passed by, I see the turn :Shockked:.

But seeing the movement of the Truck you could have judge the turn. As the truck was coming from the opposite side you realize the move of the truck but not the exact path.

Anyway Drive safe !!!