Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2008, 18:54   #76
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
And I'm sure ABS & EBD would have definitely helped as I could have braked hard with confidence before entering the curve.
On a straight, you can brake as hard as you want. But never, ever turn the steering wheel in a Safari when braking hard.
Old 25th November 2008, 18:57   #77
BHPian

ABS would definatly make a huge difference,i really repent not going in for the VX only because of ABS. Even at low speeds the tyres lock and the vehicle skids. TASS guys tell me that i need to "pump" the brakes, but during an emergency i seriously dont think theres time to sit and pump the brakes,you just end up slamming the brakes!
i took the vehicle upto 160 kmph, thats the maximum it could do anyways, but i was scared like hell, because i know if anything comes in the way theres no way i can stop or atleast have steering control.
The civic,even at 180 because of its ABS and you feel a lot safer knowing if the worst comes you still have steering control!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
You are right, we can judge from oncoming traffic. But in my case the scene was different. There were a convoy of trucks coming in my opposite direction, and one of them was trying to overtake. There is no way one can see what is happening beyond that.

And once the last one passed by (which happened to be on high beam), I see the curve as a surprise. I had my feet on the brakes already while entering the curve, but had to release once it started skidding.
And I'm sure ABS & EBD would have definitely helped as I could have braked hard with confidence before entering the curve.
Old 25th November 2008, 19:06   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
The Lesson to be Learnt is Simple.

The Driver fortunately did not become what his name suggests.
Was it his belief to become a Holy Ghost ?

I really do not see the Turn as Very Sharp but then I do not own a SUV.
I take many turns fast.

The Safari is the Most Wild Vehicle that I drove some years back.
The back wants to step out even in if you downshifted.
It is a Great Vehicle for thrills too bad you could not control it.

btw on a side note, you could have atleast switched off the lights after you got out of the vehicle(once it was morning).

I also did not see you guys put up a Warning Sign on the Road.
, Definitely not. To become a ghost was never intention.

All the pictures show the exit of the bridge. I never reached that end of the bridge .

The headlight were off. It was only the hazards that were switched on. What you see the reflection of the flash.
And yes, I had put the Warning sign, had put it farther to compensate the curve.
Old 25th November 2008, 19:19   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
On a straight, you can brake as hard as you want. But never, ever turn the steering wheel in a Safari when braking hard.
ABS would have definitely helped, and this would have never happened if it has been a VX. I could have braked hard before starting to negotiate the turn. My speed would've been well below 60 by the time I turn the steering.

But in my case, I had to brake very carefully (as I have a lot of skidding experiences while braking hard on this beast) and couldn't slow down much while I started turning. The speed might have come down to 80.
Old 25th November 2008, 19:37   #80
Senior - BHPian

HolyGhost,

Good that you came out un-scratched. Thanks your lucky stars, guardian angels and whatever you have belief in.

And hope that you have have come out with a better understanding of your vehicle. Take care, mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
HolyGhost! You went very close to having your nickname be your description!...
Same thought here!

Quote:
...But never, ever turn the steering wheel in a Safari when braking hard.
Ummm... Hrag, this does not hold good for ABS, doesn't it?
Old 25th November 2008, 20:01   #81
Senior - BHPian

@holyghost i read in one of your previous posts that you were using philips crystal vision 60\55.

these bulbs arent good in rainy\foggy conditions so get hold of better bulbs as well.
Old 25th November 2008, 21:59   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
never, ever turn the steering wheel in a Safari when braking hard.
In the name of the Father, Son and the Holy Ghost, AMEN!
Old 25th November 2008, 22:18   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Sir, I cant follow you. Where is the logic in that?
Due to weight of the fuel, it lowers the center of gravity of the vehicle. And personally, i found it to be true cause i could feel the vehicle was more stable during cornering on a full tank as opposed to when the tank was one quarters full.
Old 25th November 2008, 22:37   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Due to weight of the fuel, it lowers the center of gravity of the vehicle. And personally, i found it to be true cause i could feel the vehicle was more stable during cornering on a full tank as opposed to when the tank was one quarters full.
Is this phenomenon noticeable only in SUVs? Because, I for one have never felt a difference in handling in my cars depending on the amount of fuel in the tank on long fast drives or otherwise.
Old 25th November 2008, 22:44   #85
BANNED

Thank your lucky stars, Holyghost.

Must admire your courage and your sense of humour after going through all this, more courage required in getting your money out of the ICICI insuranc guys though

You must be grateful to your Safari, if not for such a car, such accidents could have been fatal.

BTW, did the TATA's drive the car after positioning it right or was it towed?

Keep revving and drive safe.
Old 25th November 2008, 22:46   #86
jat
BHPian

Quote:
Due to weight of the fuel, it lowers the center of gravity.....
Theoritically yes. But when you consider the wt of the vehicle itself, the location and shape of the tank, the actual affect should be negligible. Because a 1/4 full tank will be holding about 10~12 kg of fuel while 3/4 full will be holding about 30~35 kg of fuel. Also the tanks are flat, means the change in height of fuel will be few cms. Compare that to a suitcase 20 kg located on the seat or a man weighing 100 kgs sitting on the driving seat which is much higher than fuel tank.

Rgds
Old 25th November 2008, 22:56   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jat View Post
Theoritically yes. But when you consider the wt of the vehicle itself, the location and shape of the tank, the actual affect should be negligible. Because a 1/4 full tank will be holding about 10~12 kg of fuel while 3/4 full will be holding about 30~35 kg of fuel. Also the tanks are flat, means the change in height of fuel will be few cms. Compare that to a suitcase 20 kg located on the seat or a man weighing 100 kgs sitting on the driving seat which is much higher than fuel tank.

Rgds
I've noticed the difference. So instead of both of us going back and forth with comments and counter comments, why don't you try it out yourself on any SUV and see the difference (if any) with full and near empty tank and post your comments. I followed the same principle on my gypsy as well and there too i noticed a slight difference in handling.

EDIT: Another thing, emptier tanks causes more movement of the fuel inside which causes a dramatic change in the center of gravity during high speed cornering. A full tank will not allow that much displacement of the fuel. Try this experiment at home with a cup of water half full and completely full (sealed at top). Then give it a vigorous shake. The half empty one will give more vibrations to your hand.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 25th November 2008 at 23:00.
Old 25th November 2008, 23:05   #88
jat
BHPian

Quote:
I've noticed the difference
Ok, I agree to your experience. Now if that amount of fuel makes a difference then these vehicles automatically become unsafe for drivers weighing 100 kgs. Means that only one passanger (driver) weighing 60 kgs should be allowed and no cargo or luggage. Imagine 4 heavy weights sitting in the car. Which means that the this type of vehicles become useless for heavy passengers by default.
Old 25th November 2008, 23:07   #89
BANNED

Guys, why are we discussing dangerous stunts and experiments.

I feel driving normally would do a lot good for others as well as our lives.

Life is more important than speed.

Holyghost did this mistake by driving at hours where his body and mind requires sleep.

Its truly dangerous to drive between 2 am till 4 am in the morning.

After one incidence in my M-800 8 yrs ago with 6 people in it, i've stopped doing overnight drives.

People talk about confidence, but you cant overcome forces of nature. We need to sleep between these times, its different if you've slept in the morning, but overnight is anyways risky. Imagine, middle of the night godforbid any family member requires medical assistance, where will you go from middle of nowhere.

My advice avoid overnight drives.
Old 25th November 2008, 23:17   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jat View Post
Ok, I agree to your experience. Now if that amount of fuel makes a difference then these vehicles automatically become unsafe for drivers weighing 100 kgs. Means that only one passanger (driver) weighing 60 kgs should be allowed and no cargo or luggage. Imagine 4 heavy weights sitting in the car. Which means that the this type of vehicles become useless for heavy passengers by default.
Arre baba. Increasing the fuel just helps give that 10% extra cornering ability. I'm not even gonna argue about your 4 adult theory because you know you're arguing just for the heck of it. That's why i said, try for yourself. And as Mr Pavan says, "safely" as an experiment and only once.
I'd rather err on the side of safety and fuel up. Rest is upto you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks