Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2008, 10:33   #46
Senior - BHPian

HolyGhost or should I say HolyGOD, good to see you survive along with all your friends. Please be careful in future(which I am sure you will). Happy Motoring.!
Old 25th November 2008, 10:56   #47
Senior - BHPian

Thank God you are safe. Its the experience that you will gain from this, and thanks for sharing, as many can actually benefit from the experience you have had.

Although 100/110kmph with limited visibility and rains at night and oncoming headlights without seatbelts might give many a point to talk about, but hats off to you for having shared it.
Old 25th November 2008, 10:59   #48
BANNED

Now who thought a SUV like the Safari and Scorpio will not topple at those speeds. Looking at the pics and going "oh i shouldnt do this" is absurd. The Scorpio, tavera, safari, sumo, bolero are all prone to toppling over if you drive at those speeds take a corner and expect to come out of it.

And Mr. HolyGhost please please after this wear your seatbelts. You must have done some good in your life to come out of this. Please be a safe driver/rider after this. Saving even 24 hours is not worth it if you have to lie on a bed and stare at the hospital ceiling.
Old 25th November 2008, 11:05   #49
BANNED

Glad you're safe. Hope you get your Safari back soon and get back to touring.
(Only) You know what went wrong - I'm positive you've learnt from this.
Old 25th November 2008, 11:07   #50
BHPian

HolyGhost - Thank god that nothing happened to you guys in Safari and good to know that you guys are safe. Whenever it starts raining or the first slight drizzle, our roads get mighty slippery due to Dust and water mixture gets pretty slimy till, it is completely washed by prolonged rain or a heavy downpour. I am not sure in your case if it had just started raining in that area.

Also, please share with us your experience with ICICI Lombard in detail.

Now that you have reclaimed your life back, hope you get your beauty (Safari) back soon.

takecare and drive safely
Old 25th November 2008, 11:29   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
the Tbhp scorpio fan club is going to have a field day with this. I hope they dont see this
no dude, seems you have been misjudging things here. first of all, the scorpio lovers in this forum (which you like to call as the scorpio fan club) are not that silly or illogical as you think.
this is not a vehicle fault but pure driver error and such thing can happen in any vehicle, not just an SUV for that matter.

the only good thing which happened that night was that all 4 escaped unhurt...

Last edited by raj_5004 : 25th November 2008 at 11:41.
Old 25th November 2008, 12:03   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Now who thought a SUV like the Safari and Scorpio will not topple at those speeds. Looking at the pics and going "oh i shouldnt do this" is absurd. The Scorpio, tavera, safari, sumo, bolero are all prone to toppling over if you drive at those speeds take a corner and expect to come out of it.

And Mr. HolyGhost please please after this wear your seatbelts. You must have done some good in your life to come out of this. Please be a safe driver/rider after this. Saving even 24 hours is not worth it if you have to lie on a bed and stare at the hospital ceiling.
I have visted Tata Body shops and on one occasion went to a mahindra bodyshop.
Over there I saw a lot of indica's. indigo's etc.,(Tata) and Logans(mahindra), which had been in bad accidents.
Apart from that, I saw many SUVs/MUVs too. There was one striking difference, most of the SUVs were rollovers, and just one indica was a rollover victim,
At mahindra workshop, I saw 3 crushed logans, apparently a head on, and 4 scoprios, all 4 of them rollover accidents.
So while any car can topple, high GC vehicles can topple very easily.
For example there is a very famous video on youtuble which shows a land rover T-boning a civic.
After the collision the land rover rolls

After seeing this video, there will be no doubt left that how easy it is to roll over a SUV.

Even in the west, most of SUV accidents are roll overs.
Your tall vehicle is not a car, it cannot and will not corner like a car. You cannot fight physics. A ladder on frame chasis with a high GC will topple of cornered hard
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2008, 12:08   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Even in the west, most of SUV accidents are roll overs.
Your tall vehicle is not a car, it cannot and will not corner like a car. You cannot fight physics. A ladder on frame chasis with a high GC will topple of cornered hard
That is why its important that manufacturers start giving, ABS and ESP as standard fitments on these vehicles Vs the cars.
Old 25th November 2008, 12:10   #54
Senior - BHPian

Holyghost, you & your friends have had a providential escape. By the grace of God, you guys didn't get hurt.

Pretty much all has been said already so I'll just mention a couple of things only -
  • Seat belts at all times mate, even for rear seat occupants on long & fast stretches
  • Drive safe, within your limits on unknown territory - you never know what surprises are lurking around the corner.
Good luck with your vehicle, hope its back on the roads real quick. No chassis damage I hope?
Old 25th November 2008, 12:10   #55
Senior - BHPian

HolyGhost, I'm glad that you and your pals got away unscathed! Though I do feel bad about your Safari.
Driving at speeds over 80 kmph on wet roads is a recipe for disaster, especially at night. I would not do it even on the GQ. Even if you are doing faster speeds, it is a golden rule to slow down when passing a vehicle in the opp direction, especially with blinding headlights.
Though good GC is a boon for our roads, SUVs and vehicles with high GC are vulnerable to toppling. I've even seen an SX4 toppling on Necklace road in Hyderabad (centre of city) during the monsoon.
Drive safe!

Last edited by vnabhi : 25th November 2008 at 12:13.
Old 25th November 2008, 12:12   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
That is why its important that manufacturers start giving, ABS and ESP as standard fitments on these vehicles Vs the cars.
In the west manufacturers give these as standard on all vehicles, even SUVs. ABS etc., will not prevent you from taking a turn too fast.
ditto for EBD/ESP etc., They will simply try to control skid. If you turn too fast, such that the lateral force exceeds a certain limit, you will still topple.
Old 25th November 2008, 12:16   #57
Senior - BHPian

@ dadu: but dadu, TATA also has to concentrate on manufacturing costs and thus they have to keep the final price of the vehicle down with respect to the competition. let us admit, apart from a few, not many indians are crazy about safety aspects of a vehicle and ABS/airbags etc. if tata makes this standard, the price of the lower variants will go up and eventually will find no takers. yes, what all manufacturers should do is offer ABS and airbags atleast as options in all variants and not only in top variants.
Old 25th November 2008, 12:20   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
In the west manufacturers give these as standard on all vehicles, even SUVs. ABS etc., will not prevent you from taking a turn too fast.
ditto for EBD/ESP etc., They will simply try to control skid. If you turn too fast, such that the lateral force exceeds a certain limit, you will still topple.
I agree, these are safety features that help "prevent" accidents, no guarantee's though.

Have a look at the differences when they are used. The ESP's cornering test is demonstrated driving at 110 Kmph on slippery frozen lake bed.

Last edited by dadu : 25th November 2008 at 12:27.
Old 25th November 2008, 12:30   #59
BHPian

Gods grace u and ur friends are safe, well this was an eye opener to most of us who frequent such roads at high speeds, now we know not to take things for granted, wish u lots of luck and a speedy recovery for your monster, take care.
Old 25th November 2008, 12:30   #60
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
A 2ton vehicle with 4 adults inside it, travelling at 100-110 kmph, power steering (which at those speeds is a bit vague), slippery conditions, improper illumination, bad road, bridge with no proper restraining wall, other drivers with no sense of safety and road manners(high beam), time of the day(at 2am: its understood 90% of the drivers will not be at the best of their abilities). What else? These are Indian roads. Even with all the safety equipment on board it will be diffcult to come out such a situation, which our friend here has miraclously survived. I have seen and heard a lot more who havent been so lucky.

Time to travel be damned, i prefer to reach my destination in one piece. After such incidents it not worth repenting. Before you stop realising that you managed to stay alive the headache to tackle the police, insurance and service center guys starts taking a toll. In the final analysis the 2-4 hours saved by driving at high speeds dont make any sense. Plan well and avoid taking risks on out roads. Emergency services and medical help are still very poor in our country.

Most Viewed