Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2009, 11:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

Play the music she likes.
Old 6th January 2009, 12:00   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Another thought - Good you have the Palio. else the (say) Swift's rattles would drive her mad too
oh coome on man SWIFT doesn't even rattle that much

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Play the music she likes.
Good idea, just her favourite songs and music, how about a favourite movie of hers on the in-car DVD player?
Old 6th January 2009, 13:53   #18
Team-BHP Support

This is OT but a relevant message for everyone around moms-to-be and children.
Are you a Third-hand smoker?-Health-Health & Science-The Times of India

Quote:
The toxic particles emitted in the smoke of a cigarette get clinged to the place you stay much after your cigarette is over and it can very well affect your children's health as you try to smoke in their absence, a new study said.
Old 6th January 2009, 14:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
Good idea, just her favourite songs and music, how about a favourite movie of hers on the in-car DVD player?
If the road is smooth, its ok. But a bumpy ride can give a headache, watching a movie on a small screen.

Besides, it is believed that unborn babies can hear the sounds from outside. That makes music more preferred over movies.
Old 6th January 2009, 14:23   #20
BHPian

Do not tailgate behind any other vehicles - maintain a healthy distance to avoid sudden braking. If required - ask the mom-to-be to relax and take a nap or at least have the eyes closed. The traffic situation around the car may tense the lady even if you are driving real slowly. Always keep some paper bag handy for nausea in the first trimester. For long distance travel during the second trimester (first and third are not advised by docs), roll down the windows when you see a clean stretch of road. Continuous AC circulated air is not healthy for the lady - fresh air in the car at regular intervals would help.

Whenever possible, do not allow the lady to drive even if they insist on doing so. Driving is a stressful activity which has to be avoided.
Old 6th January 2009, 14:27   #21
Team-BHP Support

Just a thought.

Do all this when driving with any woman.
After all God made them all so special.
Old 6th January 2009, 15:21   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Do not tailgate behind any other vehicles - maintain a healthy distance to avoid sudden braking. If required - ask the mom-to-be to relax and take a nap or at least have the eyes closed. The traffic situation around the car may tense the lady even if you are driving real slowly. Always keep some paper bag handy for nausea in the first trimester. For long distance travel during the second trimester (first and third are not advised by docs), roll down the windows when you see a clean stretch of road. Continuous AC circulated air is not healthy for the lady - fresh air in the car at regular intervals would help.
Thats a nice thought of rolling down window on a empty track, to get the fresh air in, but I never knew that AC circulated air is not healthy.
Thats something i just learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
If the road is smooth, its ok. But a bumpy ride can give a headache, watching a movie on a small screen.
Besides, it is believed that unborn babies can hear the sounds from outside. That makes music more preferred over movies.
Rightly said, even looking into your mobile continuously for 10-15 mins while travelling on road results in a headache.
Well good music is the key.
Old 13th January 2009, 21:12   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

My 2 cents

Nice Thread guys, had seen this one before but didn't have anything significant to contibute. Well heres what I chanced upon while surfing today, its an article about the use of dummies to ensure safety of moms-to-be in cars during coming years, and later goes on to explain how to travel safely with the moms-to-be on current generation cars.

Pregnant Dummies Improve Safety - autoevolution

EDIT: Heres a reference pic from the article.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dry Ice : 13th January 2009 at 21:13.
Old 13th January 2009, 21:28   #24
Axe

Great thread and very sensible suggestions. Here's mine, based on experience: Do not drive on roads you are not familiar with when with a pregnant woman. The worst thing that can happen is a bad road. In October, on the way back from Kumaon, my sister-in-law was with us, and in her first trimester. I followed much of what has been recommended, but felt absolutely helpless between Udham Singh Nagar and Rampur. That has to be one of the worst stretched I have driven on. We were all very tense, and actually got an ultrasound done once we were back in Delhi. Luckily, everything was fine.
Old 14th January 2009, 09:09   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Nice Thread guys, had seen this one before but didn't have anything significant to contibute. Well heres what I chanced upon while surfing today, its an article about the use of dummies to ensure safety of moms-to-be in cars during coming years, and later goes on to explain how to travel safely with the moms-to-be on current generation cars.
Nice article Dry Ice and a sensible posture for the moms-to-be who have to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe View Post
Do not drive on roads you are not familiar with when with a pregnant woman. The worst thing that can happen is a bad road. In October, on the way back from Kumaon, my sister-in-law was with us, and in her first trimester. I followed much of what has been recommended, but felt absolutely helpless between Udham Singh Nagar and Rampur. That has to be one of the worst stretched I have driven on. We were all very tense, and actually got an ultrasound done once we were back in Delhi. Luckily, everything was fine.
Very lucky you were, god bless, first trimester and a stretch of bad road

Thats a very valid point, one should not go on roads which are not well known or have not been roamed recently, this is valid for both city and highway driving.

As bad roads are a big NO, specially in the first trimester, they can prove to be fatal for the baby.

I feel one should always avoid drives after the rains, specially in places where it rains heavily, as rain water always take it toll on the roads.

Last edited by Bubby : 14th January 2009 at 09:11.
Old 14th January 2009, 22:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

I used to drive my wife to her office every day till about a week before delivery. And I followed these simple thumb rules (apart from the obvious normal safety precautions) -

* Never raise speed above 40/50 so that you are in complete control of the vehicle all the time and can stop it within a few feet if you have to.
* Watch out for potholes and bumps etc. Under no circumstance can you hit them at high speed. Avoid going to places where you know roads are going to be bad.
* Avoid sudden jerky starts.
* Avoid sudden brakes.
* Wifey chose not to wear seatbelts at all

On top of this, the doctor advised not to ever take a diesel Ambassador taxi because of the vibrations !! Those days I used to have a silky smooth Zen.
Old 27th June 2011, 16:26   #27
BHPian

Travelling with pregnant ladies - Tips/Advices

Firstly, I couldnt find a related thread, hence posting as a new topic.
Mods, please merge if found inappropriate.

Folks - I am totally confused with the various advices given to me recently by aquaintances about travelling with pregnant women. The missus is carrying (5 weeks) and works as well. She normally commutes to office in the office cab and the cabbie keeps rotating on a daily basis. Once we discovered that she is carrying, I decided to align my shift with her shift so that we commute together. This is to avoid the trouble of telling the cabbies to drive carefully, for obvious reasons.

Now, I have been getting different advices ranging from, the missus should not wear a seat belt (the risk here is to be compensated by travelling at extremely low speeds) to travelling only in the front seat of the car etc. I am unable to decide what are the exact precautions to be taken.

It would be of great help to me (and others in my position) if you can share some tips/advices/precautions while travelling with pregnant ladies.

Regards,
Arun
Old 27th June 2011, 16:38   #28
Senior - BHPian

Re: Travelling with pregnant ladies - Tips/Advices

Arun, congrats on the soon to arrive bundle of joy

With regards to traveling with pregnant ladies, below are a few tips from the doctor which was told to us:

1. No travel by auto/2 wheeler.
2. In car, preferably front seat only with a cushion to support lower back later on during pregnancy
3. No travel for more than an hour without a break
4. Extreme caution on bumpy surfaces, pot holes, road humps etc.
5. Avoid sudden braking as much as possible.

Hope this helps and yes, we are expecting our baby anytime next month!

Last edited by abhinav.s : 27th June 2011 at 16:39.
Old 27th June 2011, 16:55   #29
Senior - BHPian

A couple of life experiences which I can share are
1) Keep the doctors contact nos handy
2) A small medical kit is a must and some throw bags for that occasional morning sickness feel
3) Keep a bottle of water or juice whenever travelling.
4) Get the car in shape for the commute - I mean the creaky suspensions, WA/WB etc
5) Always preferred my missus to sit in the front rather than at the back. But if you have company then they can prefer to sit at the rear.

I am sure you will receive many more suggestions in the due course of time. Pick the best ones.
Old 27th June 2011, 17:03   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Always wear comfortable running shoes, in case you have to run for your life.
Mood swings is one thing, but sometimes pregnant ladies get real aggressive for no reason and take a real swing at you with whatever they can find handy.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 27th June 2011 at 17:05.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks