Team-BHP - Driving Tips - With a pregnant woman
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Driving Tips - With a pregnant woman (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/51574-driving-tips-pregnant-woman.html)

Hello All,

All of us would have travelled with expecting womens, if we have not travelled up until now, may be in future we would be.

I would just want to know from all you, what all precautions should one take when driving with women who are expecting a child.

Not sure if we can pick this topic up on TEAM-BHP.

Cheers.

A very nice topic.

Here is what I think one should drive, with expecting women as passengers

1. Whenever possible, make them sit in the front. It is a known fact that sitting in the front reduces the feeling of puking. People sitting on the back are more prone to this feeling of puking. Also, Some cars have better ride in the front than in the rear (Eg: Santro)
2. Speed: Reduce you speed to bare minimum. Do not drive at speeds greater than 40 on highways, this is because wearing seatbelts is not always possible for the exoecting women.
In City, one should be much slower than that as there are much more potholes to take care of.
3. Keep the windows rolled up:Make sure the AC is working fine. One needs to ensure that the smoke from the trucks, etc does not enter the cabin. Keep the windows rolled up all the time and use the AC.

+1 to everything Vinit has written.

and
No Smoking.
Recent research has indicated that the toxins emitted by ciggerates remain in the vicinity for a long time.

Add cushions/pillows wherever necessary to act as a shock absorbents
Keep some fruit juice or mint tablets
Don't overtake sharply to avoid corner turns

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 1117435)
+1 to everything Vinit has written.

and
No Smoking.
Recent research has indicated that the toxins emitted by ciggerates remain in the vicinity for a long time.

True. No Smoking. This is not restricted to driving only, but no smoking withing close proximities of the Pregnant women. Myself and my brother used to climb down 3 floors to smoke when My brothers wife was expecting. This used to be a nightmare during holidays, as we found ourself climbing up & down the 3 floors 6-8 times a day ( this is a reduced number) !

I like to add a small observation. Other can comment on it.

When i was in Amsterdam while riding in one of my clients car. I noticed that the the belt was permanently pulled aside.

He told me that he has don it since his wife was expecting ,he just makes her use the slanting part.

IF i have to draw roughly

|\ |
| \ |
| \ |
|---|

Only the slanting section(marked by slashes \ ) is worn by the lady and the horizontal part of the seat belt is at her back . so she is being held back by the belt but the belt is not pushing against her stomach

Any comments??

Considering that i am going through the same phase now, i think i shall offer my views.

* Drive sedately, as they tend to be somewhat over-reactive during this phase.
* Watch out for potholes, and make sure you make the maximum effort to slowing down for them.
* Speedbreakers need to be taken slowly as well, as the sudden descent from some of them can offer quite a shock at times.
* Seatbelts cannot be enforced on them during this period, and hence the need for sudden braking needs to be avoided as much as possible.
* It is advised to have them sitting in front in the passenger seat, as the shocks are transferred less to the front passengers.
* When going on long trips, make sure you take frequent breaks in between so they get a chance to stretch their legs and walk, if necessary.
* Smoke as we know, is a big no-no, and should be practiced strictly.
* Some women tend to develop some form of backpain during this period, and hence some pillow would help provide better cushioning and back support.
* During the first and last trimester, the above mentioned points need to be followed more strictly.

Thats all i can think of for the time being.

So, summary is - to drive slow.
Be prepared to hear some honking. Just ignore all of them. You reacting / interacting with fellow drivers make the mom-to-be worried. Driving the car windows rolled up might be a good option. Driving in slow lane makes it easy, whenever it is possible..

I am sure all posts here are from their personal experience as each one of the are so true. Bubby started a nice thread to start with new year.

Fantastic thread.

Stretching the journey by traveling at far lesser speeds (say 40 Kmph) on long drives could be also painful due the no.of hrs spent in the car. Doing between 60-80 on empty roads with an alert eye to slow down without rushing will help

Keeping everyone engaged with an interesting conversation will help to divert the attention from ride and relieve mental stress

PS:
1. Take advice from the visiting Doctor before the trip
2. Keep the Doctor number handy (both landline and mobile)
3. Its better to avoid traveling long distances during 7th, 8th and 9th months

Oh man!
This thread was started just at the right time.
I am planning for a long travel by end of this month. I did take some tips from doctor as well.
In fact I had no intention, but now I have an unavoidable reason to travel.
I will wait to hear more from the experienced drivers or dads

good points. try avoiding altogether in first and second trimester, or at least first three and last two months.

safety wise, talk to the doctor and find out when is it ok to travel, where to keep the belt etc. do not avoid the belt. drive slow, anticipate stops and make slow stops.

comfort wise, make frequent stop, keep pillows to support. keep two seats for her.

Mental stress is as important as physical stress. Breaks every hour is very much important. Long travel in the first trimester is a big NO
Also the doctor suggested it is better if her mother or my mother can travel along with us. It really helps to reduce her stress level in all means. So I have planned accordingly.

Thanks for the inputs guys. Keep them coming

Quote:

Originally Posted by aka_iitd (Post 1117444)
Add cushions/pillows wherever necessary to act as a shock absorbents
Keep some fruit juice or mint tablets
Don't overtake sharply to avoid corner turns

Righly said Cushions/Pillows are a must, for that extra support. Juice and Mint tablets will as well help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinit.merchant (Post 1117445)
True. No Smoking. This is not restricted to driving only, but no smoking withing close proximities of the Pregnant women. Myself and my brother used to climb down 3 floors to smoke when My brothers wife was expecting. This used to be a nightmare during holidays, as we found ourself climbing up & down the 3 floors 6-8 times a day ( this is a reduced number) !

Correct, one should avoid smoking when there is a expecting lady around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leadf00t (Post 1117466)
I like to add a small observation. Other can comment on it.

When i was in Amsterdam while riding in one of my clients car. I noticed that the the belt was permanently pulled aside.

He told me that he has don it since his wife was expecting ,he just makes her use the slanting part.

IF i have to draw roughly

|\ |
| \ |
| \ |
|---|

Only the slanting section(marked by slashes \ ) is worn by the lady and the horizontal part of the seat belt is at her back . so she is being held back by the belt but the belt is not pushing against her stomach

Any comments??

Nice observation, i have as well seen a lot cab/taxi/drivers in NCR regions doing so, but i personally feel its somewhat dangerous, though its comfortable, but imagine in a hard braking situation the passenger may slip and the seat belt may choke up the passengers neck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 1117468)
Considering that i am going through the same phase now, i think i shall offer my views.

* Drive sedately, as they tend to be somewhat over-reactive during this phase.
* Watch out for potholes, and make sure you make the maximum effort to slowing down for them.
* Speedbreakers need to be taken slowly as well, as the sudden descent from some of them can offer quite a shock at times.
* Seatbelts cannot be enforced on them during this period, and hence the need for sudden braking needs to be avoided as much as possible.
* It is advised to have them sitting in front in the passenger seat, as the shocks are transferred less to the front passengers.
* When going on long trips, make sure you take frequent breaks in between so they get a chance to stretch their legs and walk, if necessary.
* Smoke as we know, is a big no-no, and should be practiced strictly.
* Some women tend to develop some form of backpain during this period, and hence some pillow would help provide better cushioning and back support.
* During the first and last trimester, the above mentioned points need to be followed more strictly.

Thats all i can think of for the time being.

On the button you are benbsb29, i exactly follow the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shyamhegde (Post 1117477)
So, summary is - to drive slow.
Be prepared to hear some honking. Just ignore all of them. You reacting / interacting with fellow drivers make the mom-to-be worried. Driving the car windows rolled up might be a good option. Driving in slow lane makes it easy, whenever it is possible..

I am sure all posts here are from their personal experience as each one of the are so true. Bubby started a nice thread to start with new year.

Again it so true, the personal experiences of different individuals a so much alike in certain scenarios like this one.

In a lot of i have these emote icons saying ' Baby on board ', the should be one with ' mom-to-be on board ' as well :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surprise (Post 1117487)
Fantastic thread.

Stretching the journey by traveling at far lesser speeds (say 40 Kmph) on long drives could be also painful due the no.of hrs spent in the car. Doing between 60-80 on empty roads with an alert eye to slow down without rushing will help

Keeping everyone engaged with an interesting conversation will help to divert the attention from ride and relieve mental stress

PS:
1. Take advice from the visiting Doctor before the trip
2. Keep the Doctor number handy (both landline and mobile)
3. Its better to avoid traveling long distances during 7th, 8th and 9th months

A nice thought surprise, having conversation with the lady would definitely relieve the metal stress.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sj_koova (Post 1117504)
Oh man!
This thread was started just at the right time.
I am planning for a long travel by end of this month. I did take some tips from doctor as well.
In fact I had no intention, but now I have an unavoidable reason to travel.
I will wait to hear more from the experienced drivers or dads

sj_koova stay glued to this one and you would get some very useful tips.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivekiny2k (Post 1117512)
good points. try avoiding altogether in first and second trimester, or at least first three and last two months.

safety wise, talk to the doctor and find out when is it ok to travel, where to keep the belt etc. do not avoid the belt. drive slow, anticipate stops and make slow stops.

comfort wise, make frequent stop, keep pillows to support. keep two seats for her.

Rightly said sir, the lady should be given a lot a space in the car, so guys dont go on drive with full loads as it cramps the cabin space.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinit.merchant (Post 1117418)
A very nice topic.

Here is what I think one should drive, with expecting women as passengers

1. Whenever possible, make them sit in the front. It is a known fact that sitting in the front reduces the feeling of puking. People sitting on the back are more prone to this feeling of puking. Also, Some cars have better ride in the front than in the rear (Eg: Santro)
2. Speed: Reduce you speed to bare minimum. Do not drive at speeds greater than 40 on highways, this is because wearing seatbelts is not always possible for the exoecting women.
In City, one should be much slower than that as there are much more potholes to take care of.
3. Keep the windows rolled up:Make sure the AC is working fine. One needs to ensure that the smoke from the trucks, etc does not enter the cabin. Keep the windows rolled up all the time and use the AC.

Well yes, windows rolled up is must, as it makes travel more comfortable and as external noise doesnot leak in it makes the travel less exhausting.

Another thought - Good you have the Palio. else the (say) Swift's rattles would drive her mad too :D

How about moving the front pasenger seat further back on its rail, as much as possible.

This would give her enough leg room in the front.

Also, it would be easier to wear the seat belt, as the seat belts are generally on the center pillar and when you push the seat back it will be behind the center pillar, so it would be easier to wear one.

Thoughts.