Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2009, 00:44   #106
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Do NOT, EVER, set off on a 1400km, 15-hour long drive through 8 states on a USA interstate after staying up all night.
I dont need to do something like that to make out it is dangerous.

Like someone said commonsense is not quite common.

You dont have flights there? considering US is a developed country.
Old 10th July 2009, 12:27   #107
Senior - BHPian

This happened in 2003 when I was living at Bangalore. I was riding my Splendor to office and was a bit late on that day. While nearing the signal at Cauvery theatre junction saw it was just changing to amber from green and was about to stop. Then noticed the Matiz I was following accelerate to beat the red light and I too followed. But the driver changed his mind at the last moment and stopped suddenly. I braked hard, my wheels locked, but could not stop. Swerved right to avoid rear-ending the car but only partly succeeded. The rear part of my bike hit his bumper, the bike swung clear of the car, and I fell down near the driver's door.

The wind was knocked out of me and I got up slowly. Moved my joints gently to check for damage and all seemed OK. Since it was mid June I was wearing my rain suit in anticipation of evening showers, so no abrasions. By this time a crowd had gathered and the driver was out of the car. He was an IT employee from WB, I forget his name now. The policeman very graciously said "settle it among yourselves, I don't want to book a case"!

There was considerable damage on the bike and it had to go straight to the workshop. The car seemed OK, not much damage on the bumper, and we were both about to move off. Then one bystander called us and pointed to the car's right rear tyre which was flat. In fact the top portion of the tyre was torn open. It must have burst in the impact, and may be because of it I escaped without injuries.

The car owner said it was a brand new imported tyre and I must pay for it. He called up the service centre to check about the cost, and I prepared to call the cop back to book a case. If it was going to cost a huge amount, there was no way I was going to pay for it, let the insurance company handle it! It turned out to be Rs 2750 for a new tyre and tube, so decided to pay for it. Since I had only a few hundred rupees, he took me in the car to the Daewoo worksop in Peenya, driving with the damaged tyre. I paid for the tyre by credit card, and he dropped me back at the accident site after the tyre change. Then I went back to Peenya by bike to leave it at Liberty Motors and went home by auto.

Though I always stop upon seeing amber, it was a momentary lapse of concentration and judgment to accelerate after the car. My stopping power was no match for his! No regrets about paying for the tyre, though it was a big amount for me at the time. After all, I had caused damage to his property and must pay for it. But there is a lesson in it for you too, my Bengali friend, if you are reading this! I think it was not wise of you to take me in your car barely minutes after the accident, for an amount that could not have been big for an IT employee. Though there were no visible injuries on me, nothing could be certain until I was checked by a Doctor. I wonder what you would have done if there was a delayed reaction and I had passed out inside your car!

Last edited by Gansan : 10th July 2009 at 12:35.
Old 10th July 2009, 21:59   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I dont need to do something like that to make out it is dangerous.
Quote:
You dont have flights there? considering US is a developed country.
So I'd rather take a flight than enjoy 1,800 miles of glorious road infrastructure of the developed country that USA is? The experience, the nature, the drive?

Quote:
Like someone said commonsense is not quite common.
Ouch! You take your username seriously, don't you?

I didn't say I did it, but I've learnt my lesson, thank you. I'd rather this thread NOT turn into one of chiding and of an advisory nature. And FYI, I was supposed to drive myself but had a couple of friends along to switch with anyway. But of course, I have no common sense.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 10th July 2009 at 22:00.
Old 11th July 2009, 20:24   #109
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Relax Spitfire. Just the fact that someone is posting on this thread makes it clear their realisation of a concentration lapse / error. We are all here to learn, and hearing of each others experiences is invaluable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
So I'd rather take a flight than enjoy 1,800 miles of glorious road infrastructure of the developed country that USA is? The experience, the nature, the drive?
You betcha! I wanted to take a final roadtrip from the east coast to the west, just prior to returning home from my MBA. Unfortunately, no one was game. I do intend to do so one day. In an American car.
Old 11th July 2009, 20:36   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Relax Spitfire. Just the fact that someone is posting on this thread makes it clear their realisation of a concentration lapse / error. We are all here to learn, and hearing of each others experiences is invaluable.
Thank you. Definitely better worded than my post.

Quote:
You betcha! I wanted to take a final roadtrip from the east coast to the west, just prior to returning home from my MBA. Unfortunately, no one was game. I do intend to do so one day. In an American car.
And thank you! [OT] When we booked with Enterprise we had selected full-size sedan hoping to get a Charger. But the weekend we got there, they had barely anything in their yard apart from a '09 Accord and a couple of boring SUV's. DAMN !! Anyway we took the Accord and didn't regret it.

My American muscle roadtrip is still pending though. You game? I did Atlanta-NYC-Atlanta last time and found it too short

Here's a pic of the two cars we took along.

Concentration lapse while driving - Share yours-img_5944.jpg

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 11th July 2009 at 20:42.
FlyingSpur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2009, 21:34   #111
BHPian

This happened in August 2007. I was driving from Nashua, New Hampshire to Norwalk, Connecticut to attend a function at a relative's place in my company rented Sonata V6. This was the first time I was driving alone on a trip longer than 300 miles.

I don't remember the exact location of the incident. There was a toll booth coming up in next few meters so I slowed down. A merc was going in front of me. Merc stopped to pay the toll and I started counting the coins to pay toll. There goes my concentration and foot comes off the break. Not realizing that the car is moving slowly towards the merc, and rear ends it finally. Man, was I scared . The merc driver comes out to check the damages. No damages done to either cars as was going _very_ slowly. I also came out of the car and apologised. He calmly goes back to his car and both continue our journeys.

That was the most scary moment for me in US. It was only a month I had been there and was driving alone for the first time.

Lesson learnt - Stop on the toll booth and then only take the cash out even if you have to stop longer.
Old 13th July 2009, 19:02   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
This happened in 2003 when I was living at Bangalore. I was riding my Splendor to office and was a bit late on that day. While nearing the signal at Cauvery theatre junction saw it was just changing to amber from green and was about to stop. Then noticed the Matiz I was following accelerate to beat the red light and I too followed. But the driver changed his mind at the last moment and stopped suddenly. I braked hard, my wheels locked, but could not stop. Swerved right to avoid rear-ending the car but only partly succeeded. The rear part of my bike hit his bumper, the bike swung clear of the car, and I fell down near the driver's door.

The wind was knocked out of me and I got up slowly. Moved my joints gently to check for damage and all seemed OK. Since it was mid June I was wearing my rain suit in anticipation of evening showers, so no abrasions. By this time a crowd had gathered and the driver was out of the car. He was an IT employee from WB, I forget his name now. The policeman very graciously said "settle it among yourselves, I don't want to book a case"!

There was considerable damage on the bike and it had to go straight to the workshop. The car seemed OK, not much damage on the bumper, and we were both about to move off. Then one bystander called us and pointed to the car's right rear tyre which was flat. In fact the top portion of the tyre was torn open. It must have burst in the impact, and may be because of it I escaped without injuries.

The car owner said it was a brand new imported tyre and I must pay for it. He called up the service centre to check about the cost, and I prepared to call the cop back to book a case. If it was going to cost a huge amount, there was no way I was going to pay for it, let the insurance company handle it! It turned out to be Rs 2750 for a new tyre and tube, so decided to pay for it. Since I had only a few hundred rupees, he took me in the car to the Daewoo worksop in Peenya, driving with the damaged tyre. I paid for the tyre by credit card, and he dropped me back at the accident site after the tyre change. Then I went back to Peenya by bike to leave it at Liberty Motors and went home by auto.

Though I always stop upon seeing amber, it was a momentary lapse of concentration and judgment to accelerate after the car. My stopping power was no match for his! No regrets about paying for the tyre, though it was a big amount for me at the time. After all, I had caused damage to his property and must pay for it. But there is a lesson in it for you too, my Bengali friend, if you are reading this! I think it was not wise of you to take me in your car barely minutes after the accident, for an amount that could not have been big for an IT employee. Though there were no visible injuries on me, nothing could be certain until I was checked by a Doctor. I wonder what you would have done if there was a delayed reaction and I had passed out inside your car!
Hi Gansan,
It really takes a real gentleman to accept his fault, responsibility & having no regret for paying for the damage you have accepted to have caused, usually we have the tendency of seeing the situation as "If he didnt speed a head & break this wouldnt have hapened" therefore he is equally if not more reponsible for the accident, but your attitude was simply marvalous, these are the very few times I get the feeling that there is hope for our country, if all of us try to take logical, mature attitute like this at any accident, there will never be any croud standing around enjoying the pathetic "thamasha". You are the MAN. Hope others learn a lesson or so from this.
Old 15th July 2009, 12:26   #113
BANNED

Close shave...

This happened to me when I was returning from Delhi to Bangalore via the NH-7 on my bullet electra in April 2009. I had my dinner at a dhaba just after I crossed Hyd around 2130 HRS and began my ride towards Bangalore. I was maintaining my usual highway cruising speed of 80kmph.
Being a highway, it was completely dark expect for the lights of the vehicles plying on it.
An LCV loaded with people overtook me from my right and suddenly I heard a loud thud. Before I could react a boulder from the truck's left rear wheel came flying towards me and hit my right leg just below the knee.
I was stunned. It felt like a bullet hitting you as the entire limb went cold within seconds.

I pulled over, parked, thanking God that I didnt fall, and slowly got off the bike. I could hardly stand. I lay down on the road with my bike to my right.
The pain was multiplying by the minute and became unbearable within 5 minutes. I checked my bones by moving each toe indvidually, then bent my leg and straightened it inspite of the severe pain and once I was sure that it was not a fracture, I took rest for around an hour.

I still could not get up. I looked at my watch. It was more than 70 mins since I was hit. I dragged myself to the other side of the bike and started it with my hand hoping it doesnt throw my hand off. I then tried to get up with the support of my leg guard, the handle and the seat. I was able to sit on the bike after some 10 attempts.

I somehow pushed off and reached Bangalore next morning.
Once I reached Bangalore I saw that my jeans was in shreds below the knee and was bathed in blood along with my socks. I do not know when the bleeding stopped.

The doctors told me that I had lost around a unit of blood. They removed stone splinters from my leg and put 6 stitches. That portion of my leg they say has suffered severe nerve damage and is hence still numb to touch.

I m thankful to God that the boulder didnt hit my head, arm or torso which could have been worse, and moreover, I didnt fall from the bike.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2009, 13:00   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Before I could react a boulder from the truck's left rear wheel came flying towards me and hit my right leg just below the knee.
Ouch! that is the shin bone. One of the nastiest spots to get hurt on.
Quote:
I could hardly stand. I lay down on the road with my bike to my right.
The pain was multiplying by the minute and became unbearable within 5 minutes.
I still could not get up. I dragged myself to the other side of the bike and started it with my hand hoping it doesnt throw my hand off. I then tried to get up with the support of my leg guard, the handle and the seat. I was able to sit on the bike after some 10 attempts.
Man I can feel your pain.
Quote:
I m thankful to God
You bet! You sure owe Him one!
Old 15th July 2009, 13:09   #115
Team-BHP Support

@n.devdath

Whew. I have no words except that Man, You are the MAN.

I have once lost a helmet visor to a stone flying off the rear wheel of a truck.
So I kinda understand this incident and the rate at which that stone comes in.

Last edited by bblost : 15th July 2009 at 13:11.
Old 22nd July 2009, 22:11   #116
BHPian

Close call for me

This happened a couple of years back to me when riding back from Mangalore to Bangalore. I was on my trusted Standard Bullet 350, (which btw has done 86,400km to date!! Really!!). Was cruising along at around 75kph and increased my speed to overtake a tata Sumo. While I was just alongside the driver, we both spotted a dead dog on the highway and trying to avoid the dog, the Sumo driver suddenly swerved and slammed into me. The impact sent me off the road, bouncing along on the dirt but thankfully still on two wheels. I managed to get back on the road and we both stopped just ahead. The Sumo driver was panicky, he kept on apologizing to me. I can still remember clearly his shocked face as he swerved and knocked me off the road. Anyhow, both of us chatted for a while, and then started off again.

Lesson learned - Never ride the highway's on two wheelers unless you're on a bullet. I am sure, were it a lighter bike, I would not have been in one piece. The bullet might not go fast or accelerate hard, but it sure is one hell of a stable machine.
Old 24th July 2009, 09:28   #117
BHPian

Well maintained highway+no obstacles+sunny+no distractions = BIG challenge for concentration. I found myself trying very hard not to doze off. Its very scary when I found myself shaking my head not rememebring the last few milliseconds.
Old 26th July 2009, 20:04   #118
Senior - BHPian

While cruising at a speed of 80-90 kmph on a neatly paved double lane NH, a Santro overtook me on my left and rushed through. Though he is at higher speeds, he cannot get away from my sight, as I catch him, whenever he gets stuck behind two heavy vehicles traveling in parallel to each other, occupying the road width. Sometimes you really have to wait to understand, who moves quicker and tail him. This happened for nearly 2-3 kms. At one such instance, he tailed one heavy vehicle and I went back to take the slot behind the other. We both were traveling parallel to each other at around 60-70 kmph.

The heavy vehicle in front of me picked up the momentum, he realized he got stuck behind the vehicle which is permitting the other to overtake & tried to get into my path. I honked/flashed light indicating that I was not interested in letting him to fill the gap by braking my car. Was shocked to see that he ignored all my signs & continued to get into my path. I realized that he will not give up & slowed down to allow him pass.

I got frustrated & stepped into his speeds of 100-110 kmph. He was on the left lane with me in the right lane and a lorry ahead me. I downshift the gear, increased the speed & get into the left lane overtaking him. He definitely should have eased the accelerator, if not braked to let me in. While I was cruising, I waited for him to overtake me & constantly looking for him.

In the process, I passed a heavy vehicle on my right doing some similar speeds, hence we were traveling in parallel to each other for quiet few seconds. While I was looking for him at my rear view mirror, he waved his hand indicating sorry for his rash attempt.

When I shifted my attention to road back, I was shocked to see a unexpected divider very near to my left wheel. Oh my god :(, I immediately swerved gently to my right & Iam very very close to the heavy vehicle (lorry) on my right. I feared that I might crash into the lorry. Oops, I adjust & apply a mild brake just to manage myself avoiding hitting divider or heavy vehicle at that speed. But I did not had that "duk duk" feel in my heart. I realized it was too close & felt very bad for that concentration lapse on my part. Lucky day for me. NEVER EVER TAKE THE EYES OF THE ROAD
Old 26th July 2009, 23:39   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkumarmp View Post
Hi Gansan,
It really takes a real gentleman to accept his fault, responsibility & having no regret for paying for the damage you have accepted to have caused, usually we have the tendency of seeing the situation as "If he didnt speed a head & break this wouldnt have hapened" therefore he is equally if not more reponsible for the accident, but your attitude was simply marvalous, these are the very few times I get the feeling that there is hope for our country, if all of us try to take logical, mature attitute like this at any accident, there will never be any croud standing around enjoying the pathetic "thamasha". You are the MAN. Hope others learn a lesson or so from this.
Thank you for the kind words. He was a gentleman too, I could sense he partly blamed himself for the accident and was really torn about making me pay for it. Had I pleaded inability to pay, he would probably have let it go, but my pride kept me from doing that. Also, it was my first ever accident in over twenty years of driving and I was furious with myself for it!
Old 11th August 2009, 15:20   #120
BHPian

Last year, I was driving back to Detroit from Pittsburgh through Ohio on my Ford Taurus. Had started very early in the morning and also did not have much sleep the previous night. I was driving at a steady clip (prob 60 miles an hour) with the cruise control engaged. My wife was dozing off in the passenger seat next to me. My kids (3 and 6 year olds) were at the back in Child seats. Traffic was light, a soothing song was on the music player and apparently I drifted off to sleep. It was my sons "appa watchout" cry that woke me up - I had drifted from the inner lane to the outer most lane and was fast approaching a bend on the road. If my son's cry had not woken me up, I would have hit the the shoulder "dividers" head on. Shudder to think what could have happened.

From that time on, whenever I felt drowsy, I made sure I stopped and rested before starting off again.

Most Viewed