Team-BHP > Road Safety

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2009, 12:30   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

After midnight, most of the long-range drivers either drive in their senses, or park and sleep if they are drunk. It is mostly the short-range (read: local) drivers who drive under the influence of alcohol, between @ 10pm and 1 am, and that too close to the towns and cities. Thankfully, the new expressways bypass the towns by a wide margin, and I've found lesser numbers of drunk drivers loose on the highways lately. Also, thankfully, the divided roads help to keep drunk drivers and their glaring headlamps away from you, so safety is much improved compared to, say, 10 years ago.
Old 3rd June 2009, 13:47   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
After midnight, most of the long-range drivers either drive in their senses, or park and sleep if they are drunk. It is mostly the short-range (read: local) drivers who drive under the influence of alcohol, between @ 10pm and 1 am, and that too close to the towns and cities. Thankfully, the new expressways bypass the towns by a wide margin, and I've found lesser numbers of drunk drivers loose on the highways lately. Also, thankfully, the divided roads help to keep drunk drivers and their glaring headlamps away from you, so safety is much improved compared to, say, 10 years ago.
Yeah... At the same time, the confidence that express ways give combined with high speeds is a lethal combination. If we know that we do not have to be worried about oncoming vehicle, we tend to get into a comfort zone and that brings about concentration lapses. Further, when you are cruising at 120-130 kmph compared to an 80-90 kmph, your reaction time is much less in former and the momentum created by your vehicle is higher. Consequences of accidents are dependent on these factors.

I dont remember an instance when I was driving in India that I felt sleepy. While I was in US, I drove from Austin to Dallas after a heavy meal. Even today, I shiver when I think about that. I jumped the margins twice. Thanks to the feedback from the road when we cross onto shoulder(of the road), I woke up. I even sang to keep myself awake. I was missing Indian roads were cows or mopeds never give me a dull moment

But, things are changing in India as well.
Old 3rd June 2009, 17:13   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post

I dont remember an instance when I was driving in India that I felt sleepy. While I was in US, I drove from Austin to Dallas after a heavy meal. Even today, I shiver when I think about that. I jumped the margins twice. Thanks to the feedback from the road when we cross onto shoulder(of the road), I woke up. I even sang to keep myself awake. I was missing Indian roads were cows or mopeds never give me a dull moment

But, things are changing in India as well.
I can drive on single lane roads for hours without taking a break but in the UK never could drive more than an hour at a stretch on the motorway without feeling tired and sleepy. Add to that an automatic and definite recipe to fall asleep.

Earlier I used to love the Expressway / four laned divider roads earlier but somehow over the last 4-5 years I enjoy the single lane roads more. The excitement keeps one absolutely awake and sharp.
Old 8th June 2009, 17:16   #184
BHPian

Dont ever forget to alighn and/or balance your wheels after a spirited drive! Yes, don't go by the rule of thumb, that is 5k kms or 3/6 months rule, when you are on the road for a longer haul. I guess that rule is for sedate driving! I have found out that even a 1k km spirited driving can cause slight misalighnments, which in turn cause uneven tyre wears subsequently. So go for alighnment and/or balancing after you complete around 1k/1.5k spirited driving.
Old 9th June 2009, 10:44   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarinkumar View Post
I totally agree with ac 427. The overspeeding, like 120 or 130 KM/hr won't help you much to reach the destination faster. You may hardly save 10 minutes. Whne I used to drive my M800 I made it a point that, i don't go beyond 80km/hr and always the car is between 60 and 70km/hr. Now I changed to a sedan and I know that if i drive 100km/hr, i have the full controll. When I cross 100, i make sure to bring back the speed back. In ghat road there is a saying that, one need to use the same gear for down hill as that for up hill.
Other thing is that, avoid the night driving maximum. Most of the accidents happens during the night driving. I usually take 10 minute break after every continous two hour driving. I go for a 5 minute walk, if the stop is not for a tea or biological break. This will helps the proper blood flow and joint pains will go away. These are some of my best practices while driving on highway
Regards,
Sarin
Over long distances going with certain speed helps reach destination at scheduled time. Going in a car at 60kmph or 70kmph is not suggestive one, as now a days even smaller bikes go with that speed.

Going at 100 to 110 kmph is not all over speeding.
Accidents do not happen just bacause someone drives at 120 or 130 kmph but because negligent driving, not following rules of the road, and a ruthless attitude towards fellow drivers on the road.
If you care for othres on the road and follow the rules , you would be able to avoid accidents.
Highway accidents do happen in bad weather conditions, like thick fog in the mornings and also during twilight time.
Highway accidents are observed more during early mornings,twilight times and bad weather conditions than at other times.
Night driving requires experience and it has certain positive aspects like
lesser traffic,no crossings by pedestarians,bullock carts and very less or no slow moving vehicles. You can cover more distance in night time in lesser time than during day time.
But night driving definetely requires you to follow road rules like
giving proper signals with blinkers ,dimming head lights etc., along with knowldege of strictly following road signals put up by R&B department.
For example approaching road bridge signal or approaching curve on the road.
Night driving is less tiresome and more driving fun for those who can enjoy.
Breaks during a long journey gives patience and tolerance. More you are tired without breaks , more you will get irritated easily and lose patience.
Old 12th June 2009, 09:23   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

I had recectly visited Gujarat and I not only drove myself on the Highway for 250 Kms but also experienced highway driving etiquette here while sitting at the front seat of the Volvo from Ahmedabad to Rajkot and back.

One thing for sure, that
  • 99% of the drivers here stick to the left lane unless and untill a need arises to change the lane.
  • Most of the private vehicles are diesel ( I Know its a favorite fuel here) and none cross 80Kmph and are seen crusing safely to their destinations. I seldom saw anyone doing even a 100kmph though the roads permitted much more.
  • If it is overtaking, It happens only from the right and a mere flashing of headlights gives a hint to the driver ahead to make way (Trust me, even during the daylight). Honking is the next resort but usually the former works.Has anyone driven Blr - Mysore and experienced that no matter how much you honk, even a car remains on right lane.
  • If there is a very slow moving vehicle on the fast lane which has created enough gap to allow overtaking from left, one would still follow the slower one till it moves left and only then proper overtaking happens. And Yes, those trucks do move left as soon as they finish overtaking. (Down south, they stick to the fast lane like a train over tracks)
  • If a truck realises that there is obstruction on the left lane, he would always check the rear view mirrors to ascertain if any faster moving vehicle is just about to overtake it, and if so, it slows down on the same lane. (On Blr - Sira or Blr - Chn highway in such a situation, truckers simply start waving hand and change the lane abruptly almost squeezing the vehicle in the fast lane and making him jam the wheels. I Have seen situation on Haveri - Pune stretch getting better in terms of lane discipline.
Note that from birth I have spent all my life in south and travelled across the peninsula and occasional visits like these always surprises me. Thought I will just share the experience.
During many occasions I was tempted to overtake from left but resisted looking at the sheer discipline many would follow here. I would only look like an idiot if I did that.
If It was the any typical highway out of Bangalore, I would've surely overtaken wrongly (as usual) as we are left with no choice!
Old 18th June 2009, 14:49   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Been there last one week and agree with you 100%. I think it is slowly but surely dawning on the regular drivers there what highway rules are all about.
If you do see a slower vehicle in fast lane it is more than likely a out of state guy!!
Old 18th June 2009, 15:42   #188
BHPian

Here's my observation about "lane driving" on highways (and city roads as well).

Some idiots just cannot keep all their wheels within ONE SINGLE lane. They drive with 2 wheels on one lane and the other 2 on the next lane. For them, "stick to the lane" means the lane markers should pass through exact center of the vehicle.

I hate those MORONS.

:(
Old 18th June 2009, 15:47   #189
BANNED

@parag: Thats a nice post. Good to know things are looking up.

Down here people still dont understand opposite lane.
Old 18th June 2009, 19:51   #190
BHPian

[quote=Torqy;1352525]Here's my observation about "lane driving" on highways (and city roads as well).

Some idiots just cannot keep all their wheels within ONE SINGLE lane.../quote]

A little OT but this reminded me of a conversation I had a few days back. Took an auto to work after giving my car for service and the auto driver was so particular about not sticking to his lane that I was being thrown about from one side to another.

I asked him if he knew what those white lines on the road were for. After a pause he replied "Poora kaala rahega to achcha nahin dikhega naa".

I thought to myself, this guy has a sense of humour, and laughed out loud.

He turned and gave me a surprised look.
Old 18th June 2009, 23:33   #191
Senior - BHPian

Wannabe pilots!

Those dudes who drive astride the broken white line are actually pilots and they have gotten so used to the runway that they think they will be penalised if their vehicle is not exactly aligned along the centre of that dotted line.

They also have clips from several Indian movies as proof that this is the correct way to drive.

Cheers,
Old 8th July 2009, 20:42   #192
Senior - BHPian

mumbai police have come up with a new way to impart some sense to the mumbai drivers! an LED display on top of their vehicles which toggles between 20-25 messages, this is one of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Highway driving etiquette and rules-06072009898.jpg  

Old 8th July 2009, 21:18   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
mumbai police have come up with a new way to impart some sense to the mumbai drivers! an LED display on top of their vehicles which toggles between 20-25 messages, this is one of them.
it seems they are the first to be booked for advertising on vehicles.
Old 8th July 2009, 21:51   #194
Senior - BHPian

and isn't that distracting? even worse than stickers
Old 8th July 2009, 22:44   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
it seems they are the first to be booked for advertising on vehicles.
now this cannot be called advertising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
and isn't that distracting? even worse than stickers
yes it is. infact, most of drivers were busy reading the display (as if they are going to follow it strictly!)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed