Team-BHP > Road Safety

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2009, 16:41   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
The best mannered vehicles I've experienced on highways are the long-distance trucks. The worst - state/private transport buses. Accordingly adjust your highway etiquette towards these categories of highway users.
Bang on I totally agree with Mahesh on this. The trucks will always give you proper signal but the damn Bus guys would hardly ever.
Old 29th April 2009, 16:52   #32
Senior - BHPian

long distance private buses on kerala highways especially thrissur-palakkad NH47 always drives dangerously(words cannot express!).better have an idea of this thing if you are on kerala highways.
--
Meanwhile,I think there is no confusion with the indicator thingy.left indicator means DON'T OVERTAKE.Right Indicator shows permission to overtake from the driver of the vehicle in-front.I never had a confusion with this.

And Some Buses and others uses the right side indicator along with High Beam to the Vehicles from the Opposite Side asking space.

I don't know if this indicator theory is different in north India.
Old 29th April 2009, 18:28   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
Unni.ak - no dude cant be 'To each his own' this is what causes problems, it should be universal, if my way then only my way, if your way then only your way, it is because it differs that the confusions arise
Ok. As you may know, India follows almost the same driving rules and pattern as England (UK). They also have right-hand drive cars.
Please visit the following link:

Overtaking (162-169) : Directgov - Travel and transport

Go to item 167; quote "DO NOT overtake where you might come into conflict with other road users. For example: when a road user is indicating right, even if you believe the signal should have been cancelled. Do not take a risk; wait for the signal to be cancelled"

Very debatable and situation-based. But, if you read the whole article, it may light some sense.

On a dual-carriage way, when a vehicle is on the right lane, he can use the right-indicator to signal that you can overtake from the left. On a sinlg-carriage way, the right-indicator means dont overtake. Ideal situation would be for the slower vehicle to be on the left lane though.

Here is another link:
Autocar India Forums: INDICATOR LAMP ETIQUTTE ON THE ROAD

Quote: "if you are NOT in OVERTAKING lane you have to show your LEFT INDICATOR to show that you will remain to the LEFT and hence he is FREE to OVERTAKE"

Quote:
Yes it truly is, but what i do is that i just slow down my car, give the right signal and move to the left so as to give him space and speed to overtake me, and when the window is rolled down, i go the truckers way, use my hands.
And this is downright dangerous. You give the right signal and move to the left. Pray why.

Last edited by unni.ak : 29th April 2009 at 18:31.
Old 29th April 2009, 18:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
6) Avoid filling the tires up with excessive air. At high speeds you get lesser grip with high tire pressure and when you brake you will find the car pulling to one side.
Generally it is advised to use a higher air pressure in while driving on highways but certainly not excessive. 1 - 2 PSI more than what you usually use. The reason being that at high speed the tires tend to heat up more and the higher pressure slows this heating process and prevents a blowup in extreme cases.

The ride will become stiffer for sure. IMHO that since highways are usually smoother than city roads the grip factor will be the same or perhaps better even if you use a higher pressure.

Another point to be noted is to keep a greater separation between you and the car in front. Since the speeds are higher you'll need a greater distance to slow down.

Drive on!!
Shibu.
Old 29th April 2009, 18:51   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
people sometimes tend to cross the road in front of the bus and that's a blind spot for you.
I never forget this one, as it nearly killed me at 16 years of age back in UK. In fact, as I was walking out from in front of the bus, the coat I was carrying was pulled from my hand and run over by the passing car. I cannot believe that I wasn't even touched.

I never did it again. I never forget that other people might do it.
Old 29th April 2009, 19:04   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
Couple more I have observed while I drove in highways

1. on 4 lane tracks, If a slow moving truck is overtaking another slow (relatively) moving truck, it is usual that the truck who overtook will move to the left most lane after completing the manoeuvre. I have observed that some impatient ( or ignorant ) car drivers tailing the overtaking truck on the right lane and cutting to the left lane to overtake the truck in front of them. ( hope I have not confused anyone). The truck driver, ignorant of the car behind him will close to the left and the car driver will be forced to brake very hard. I have seen one driver losing control and veering off the road

-tortoise
i have seen this happening quite often on mum-pune exway just before lonavala.
Thats what cause a traffic jam on a four lane highway
Old 29th April 2009, 21:27   #37
BHPian

Thats a lot of info!!
Thanks a lot guys.

My 2 cents from my long drive experiences on NH2(GT Road), NH6(Calcutta-Mum Highway), NH7 (Bangalore-Hyd) and Mysore Road and US highways:

1.The indicator passing rule is different for different parts of the country.
Generally, truck drivers from Northern part of the country follow the right indicator rule. Their counterparts from the south prefer to play "who ur daddy" instead. Seldom using indicators.If their hand doesnt hurt that much, they might use the hand signals.

2.The indicator rule also varies for the type of the road. i.e.
2 lane or 4 lane dividerless roads : The right indicator is used by slower vehicles to indicate a clear passage to overtake. I have noted on numerous ocassions when the cabbie would actually indicate you to slow down and not overtake due to oncoming traffic.
4 lane roads with dividers : Use the standard rules for indicating while changing lanes.Slow traffic to be on the left(often not the case) but mostly.The presence of Interceptors definitely have helped the cause.

3. Extensive use of the RVMs before overtaking. Need to check for faster traffic behind you. Need to vary the speed a lil to make sure that you do not have anyone in your blind-spot.(I know its tedious,but I prefer it that way.Helps in identifying the otherwise not seen Streethawk in your RVM).

4.If you are stuck behind right behind a slow truck with several other cars behind you, make sure you indicate properly before trying a overtaking manouver since there might be a faster car behind who is yet to be slowed down by the traffic.This one though is sometimes a bit tricky.

The engine braking option is definitely great. I use it for my riding trips also.

Keep the tips coming.
Old 29th April 2009, 22:05   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
Ok. As you may know, India follows almost the same driving rules and pattern as England (UK). They also have right-hand drive cars.
Please visit the following link:

Overtaking (162-169) : Directgov - Travel and transport

Go to item 167; quote "DO NOT overtake where you might come into conflict with other road users. For example: when a road user is indicating right, even if you believe the signal should have been cancelled. Do not take a risk; wait for the signal to be cancelled"

Very debatable and situation-based. But, if you read the whole article, it may light some sense.

On a dual-carriage way, when a vehicle is on the right lane, he can use the right-indicator to signal that you can overtake from the left. On a sinlg-carriage way, the right-indicator means dont overtake. Ideal situation would be for the slower vehicle to be on the left lane though.

Here is another link:
Autocar India Forums: INDICATOR LAMP ETIQUTTE ON THE ROAD

Quote: "if you are NOT in OVERTAKING lane you have to show your LEFT INDICATOR to show that you will remain to the LEFT and hence he is FREE to OVERTAKE"

And this is downright dangerous. You give the right signal and move to the left. Pray why.
firstly i seriously didnt know those rules, just followed what made sense and what truckers used, will still use these signals for truckers as we might know of this (Thanks unni.ak) but they dont.

Also i really dont feel it is dangerous, the guy wants to overtake, i slow down (from 100-95) and go to a little left (just a half a feet) and flash the right signal, the first two step is done at the same time and then do i flash the indicator, i do this so as to assure the guy behind me will deifinatly overtake me, but i do this ONLY on two laned roads, not on 4 or more, it just doesnt make sense, there i just shift lanes using the left indicator, do not slow down and let him pass.
Old 29th April 2009, 22:53   #39
BHPian

Quote:
firstly i seriously didnt know those rules, just followed what made sense and what truckers used, will still use these signals for truckers as we might know of this (Thanks unni.ak) but they dont.
Happy to be of help. Like you can see, the rules or rather the perceived rules vary a lot. Signalling or no signalling, we need to be careful when overtaking. We shouldn't take it as the last word and blindly trust the signal that is being given (right or wrong is another question!!).

Quote:
Also i really dont feel it is dangerous, the guy wants to overtake, i slow down (from 100-95) and go to a little left (just a half a feet) and flash the right signal, the first two step is done at the same time and then do i flash the indicator, i do this so as to assure the guy behind me will deifinatly overtake me, but i do this ONLY on two laned roads, not on 4 or more, it just doesnt make sense, there i just shift lanes using the left indicator, do not slow down and let him pass.
Ah ok, on two laned roads its ok. I was still on a 4lane carriage-way when I pictured you doing this. My bad. And I appreciate the fact that you move to the left-lane on a 4lane road to let another over take. I'm too lazy to do that if i'm doing about 90-100kmph, and just turn on my right-signal, indicating that I wont move to the left, pass thru the left. A bad habit, I admit.
Old 30th April 2009, 08:41   #40
BHPian

Geez!! You guys make highway driving look like a space mission.

There are only 3 rules:
  1. Stay sober - no alcohol or drugs
  2. Obey traffic rules
  3. Stay alert
Everything else is just common sense.
Old 30th April 2009, 08:48   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
Everything else is just common sense.
"Common sense" - which is very uncommon

-tortoise
Old 30th April 2009, 10:17   #42
BHPian

While driving on highways in night ensure that your tail lights are working, headlight beams are adjusted properly .

Avoid Doing any other thing which can divert you mind from the road ahead e.g. Changing cd s , typing or reading sms
Old 30th April 2009, 15:43   #43
BHPian

Some food and water in the car are mandatory. Low body glucose and dehydration affect alertness and stability.
Old 30th April 2009, 16:39   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

INDICATORS:
The simple rule of indicator (and this needs lot of propagating) is that these are meant to indicate where you are going and not for where other guy should be going!! All over the world it is same.
So it is better not to give any signal than give right indicator to tell the guy behind to overtake.
Have seen disaster happening when truck turning right off the highway gave a right signal and turned. The speeding car behind kept on coming in overtaking mode till it was too late.

IMPATIENCE
Do not be impatient. Especially not when there is a traffic jam or a railway gate closed. The truckers stand in a line and if every one did that we all will be going our way much faster. Double/triple laning only leads to snarls and waste of time for every one concerned.
And as already pointed out its not a race and you can not force your way through without running out of luck or more.

TAILGATING
Do not follow the vehicle ahead so closely that you do not have reaction time left to brake in case of sudden braking by the guy ahead. This is again somse thing seen so many times - cars crashed in to a trucks rear with devastating effect to passengers.

STEADY SPEED
Gives you better fuel efficiency and lot less stressful. Also helps you to concentrate not on traffic just ahead but even beyond. Anticipating moves of the guy ahead.

MAPS
Have maps of area you are visiting, specially hills. Comes in heandy if you have to work out detours rather than getting stuck.
Old 30th April 2009, 16:44   #45
BHPian

Any precautions / preparedness required when going on long highway drives in the daytime in summers? Especially when the mercury soars to 44 and 45 degrees?

And any trouble shooting tips if something goes wrong?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed