Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2009, 21:14   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_fonseca View Post
....The victorinox thingy and the other gadget posted earlier, at a glance, do not seem as if they would help easily in an emergency situation.
I'd agree with those if there was surplus cash that had to be got rid of!
What's there that the wheel spanner cannot do (in terms of breaking glass)?
And that HAS to be carried in the car anyway. Not a single gram of additional weight needs to be added. Well... maybe a pair of scissors... these do not come as standard supply in ANY car!
Old 14th May 2010, 11:53   #32
BHPian

Shouldn't central locking lock car only from outside

Seeing the number of people die in accidents where they can't get out of the car due to central locking, I often wonder if this feature is really required. For example, most cars here in Germany have central locking, but it locks only from outside (even when you lock it from inside). You could always open the door from inside. This way, you will never be in a situation that you are locked inside the car during an accident. The locking from outside ensures that you are not hijacked The rear doors can always be locked from inside if child locks are turned on.

Nirmal
Old 14th May 2010, 12:02   #33
Senior - BHPian

What someone posted:
Keep the wheel box spanner handy (not in the boot).
Its useful in these situation as well as other ones too.
Old 14th May 2010, 13:14   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalts View Post
...For example, most cars here in Germany have central locking, but it locks only from outside (even when you lock it from inside). You could always open the door from inside. ....
I think you've got it wrong, Nirmal.
Cars here too can be opened from inside, under normal circumstances. But after an accident the system might not allow 'normal' operation!
Some cars have a feature to unlock all doors on an impact being detected, much like the system for deploying the air bags.
Old 14th May 2010, 14:01   #35
BHPian

Interesting topic: something to ponder for those who haven't been in a situation and those who have will relive it.

1. If only you can change the laminating layer and add some more oxides you would have a windscreen resisting a 9mm slug's romantic advances to caress you
2. let me break this down, a 9 mm bullet travelling at 1500 ft/s can be trapped by the windscreen, our lesser regular windscreen uses the same technique. but alas cant stop a bullet.
3. These windscreens are alternating layers of .78 mm glass and 2.5 mm inter-layer
4. Anything that has a chance of breaking the glass requires velocity,
Practical experience kicks-in
5. Anything blunt or sharp needs velocity, my Head though the car was only doing 40 kmph, but the jolt that plastered my head (its strong) deformed the glass, still i had to kick twice to get out
6. From inside the car I couldn't maneuver (3 ribs broken) myself for generating that velocity. So lying down on my side got both boots together to hit the screen

it was seeming like hammer game we all (who call ourselves strong, or peep at our biceps) like to play in games arcades.

next instance we all in seat belts, funnily the car turned over due to my friends girls foolish paranoia about oncoming truck, she drove it to a ditch. my friend used the lid opener of his normal victronix.

Now comes science in this, he gripped the victronix so that the lid opener comes below his fist but protrudes no more than 9-10 mm.

All this lanky one did was bang his fist. it is important for velocity, driveline and follow-thru to be consistent and lo in 4 strikes he and i shattered the glass. it is also called variable pressure since these glasses are built with compression and tension principal giving them tensility.

Do remember the smaller and wider the surface better chances you have at pushing through. Dont think you can break it, unless you carry at Golf iron
Old 14th May 2010, 16:22   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Cars here too can be opened from inside, under normal circumstances.
Yes, a locked car can be opened from inside but only after unlocking it, right? What I meant is a system where the car is never locked from inside (that is, after the car is centrally locked from inside, you can at any time pull door open lever and open it from inside but not with the outside lever). In this way there is no way anyone can get trapped inside because the car doesn't unlock.

Between that, why should the car be locked from inside after all? Is it because someone will accidentally pull the level while the car is in motion? I guess this could happen only with kids and for that you could use the child protection lock on the side where the kid sits.

Nirmal

Last edited by nirmalts : 14th May 2010 at 16:28.
Old 16th May 2010, 18:19   #37
BHPian

The Skoda Superb auto locks itself a few seconds of igniting the ignition. However, one can open the doors manually with the lever on the inside of each door.
Old 17th May 2010, 13:46   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

"5th Gear" last night reminded me of this thread. Vicky, in her attempt to kill a W124 Estate, drove it into 3 feet deep water. The engine died, yet all the electricals were working and 2 windows (front left, and rear right) automatically rolled down! Don't know whether opening only 2 windows was by design or accident, yet I'm pretty sure all modern Mercs roll their windows down in floods.

I've always wondered : Is it not possible to position yourself properly, and kick (I mean a hard kick with both feet) the door glasses in such a situation? Wouldn't they shatter easily?

If not, well, my steering-to-grip lock (used religiously in the Civic and Indigo) will come in handy.
Old 17th May 2010, 14:12   #39
Senior - BHPian

I don't know why this is considered as a problem (Auto locking after car starts off) Any passenger can open their respective door manually at any time, unless there is child lock engaged.

Quote:
Between that, why should the car be locked from inside after all? Is it because someone will accidentally pull the level while the car is in motion? I guess this could happen only with kids and for that you could use the child protection lock on the side where the kid sits.
To prevent unauthorized door opening by outsiders, when you are at a traffic signal

My Palio doesn't lock the doors automatically, but I make it a point to engage central lock manually before I drive. It gives a safety feeling when you see some stranger walking towards your car when you are at a halt.

Last edited by clevermax : 17th May 2010 at 14:13.
Old 17th May 2010, 14:34   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I don't know why this is considered as a problem (Auto locking after car starts off) Any passenger can open their respective door manually at any time, unless there is child lock engaged.
Clevermax, this is the point of debate only. If in case your doors are struck, lets say due to automatic locking or due to an accident and you are struck inside the car... How are you supposed to get from the same ??

Breaking glass seems to be an ideal solution, but question is how and being accidented will you be able to break it through your legs or hand ??
Old 17th May 2010, 14:40   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Clevermax, this is the point of debate only. If in case your doors are struck, lets say due to automatic locking or due to an accident and you are struck inside the car... How are you supposed to get from the same ??
Let's say automatic locking system failed after locking all doors. One can still unlock and open any door manually.

I checked this recently, disconnected battery after locking the doors, I could easily unlock and get out.

In other circumstances, the lock can get stuck after locking, that may not be due to a central locking issue, it could be the issue with the lock itself. No need to blame it on central locking system.

In the scenario where no doors open because the central locking system wants to take revenge on you for something you could still open up the rear hatch by pulling the hatch release, in case of hatchbacks.

Last edited by clevermax : 17th May 2010 at 14:42.
Old 17th May 2010, 14:52   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Let's say automatic locking system failed after locking all doors. One can still unlock and open any door manually.

I checked this recently, disconnected battery after locking the doors, I could easily unlock and get out.

In other circumstances, the lock can get stuck after locking, that may not be due to a central locking issue, it could be the issue with the lock itself. No need to blame it on central locking system.

In the scenario where no doors open because the central locking system wants to take revenge on you for something you could still open up the rear hatch by pulling the hatch release, in case of hatchbacks.
It is a very standard features as the locking/unlocking things functions mechanically. However, as per my understanding thread intiatier had a very valid point of escaping if in case the central locking/unlocking system fails and do not opens up even after manually trying to unlock door from inside. Call it revenge or whatever but one will be in mess Also, sedan owners will not be having such luxury of escaping through hatch release.
Old 17th May 2010, 14:56   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
It is a very standard features as the locking/unlocking things functions mechanically. However, as per my understanding thread intiatier had a very valid point of escaping if in case the central locking/unlocking system fails and do not opens up even after manually trying to unlock door from inside. Call it revenge or whatever but one will be in mess Also, sedan owners will not be having such luxury of escaping through hatch release.
Then the topic is not about central locking system failure, it has to be about door lock failure. (The locking system of each door)
But the probability of all 4 locks failing / getting stuck at the same time thereby preventing a manual unlock and open is highly unlikely.

Last edited by clevermax : 17th May 2010 at 14:58.
Old 18th May 2010, 02:49   #44
BHPian

I have a very practical solution incase I ever get stuck inside. A cast iron short handle sledge hammer under my seat.
It makes for a great weapon/threat too. I had to use it once to scare off a guy trying to get into my car while I was inside.

But one thing I don't get is that why do people say it is impossible to break a passenger window or windscreen with your hands? My friend let me do that to his totaled swift's windows and I punched one with my fist and voila it fell to pieces! And its not like I ran towards that car at speed. I constricted myself to as much room as inside a car. So as far as I am concerned I can get myself out with using just my hands. Anyone else in the same boat as me?
Old 18th May 2010, 08:25   #45
Senior - BHPian

Well - my 2 cents:

In case of an accident, the impact sensing auto door unlock should unlock all the doors, and allow people from outside to open door/hatch even if I am unconscious inside.

In case of breaking the glass (underwater or when doors are jammed), a blunt instrument like hammer/spanner should NEVER be used, as it would take multiple strikes to break any glass in the car. Reason - tempered glass.
Use a 'lifehammer' - one with a pointed face to maximize the pressure.
Life Hammer and ResQMe: Car Emergency Escape Tools - Break Car Window - Cut Seat Belt
disclaimer - just googled this and no way trying to market the product.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks