Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2009, 06:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

Escaping central locking in an accident?

I searched a bit, but couldn't find so am posting this separate query.

a. I am assuming there's no way that in a regular car (Swift VDi in my case), there's any impact sensors that we can tie into central locking to tell the car to unlock itself. Or can we?

b. My car currently has this irritating auto lock feature which gets activated when you start the car - it locks the doors. need to figure out how!

c. The most critical - I have heard (proper safety advisory) in my previous company advising people stuck in a flood (thus short circuiting central locking) to move back the driver sear and push out the front windscreen with their feet.

However, in an accident, I doubt we'd have that agility. I am wondering whether I should:
a. keep a glass shattering device in the passenger cabin
b. Wire up a manual locking release cable

After reading innumerable threads on central locking taking lives in high speed accidents - the latest one being BMW case - I am seriously worried!

Thanks in adv. for your ideas/suggestions!

@Mods: If there's such a thread - kindly lock this one down or merge!
Old 2nd August 2009, 07:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

in case of a hatch, you can release the hatch door and get out thataway if you can
Old 2nd August 2009, 08:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

and how is that? I didnt see a "press here to release" types actuator!
Old 2nd August 2009, 08:03   #4
BHPian

Sorry friends, but i am confused.

i guess there is always a manual lever on each door of the car to unlock it from inside and it overrides the automatic/central lock. At least all the cars i have sat in always had a manual lever to unlock, even if the driver has centrally locked the car.
So i do not understand, how people get trapped due to central locking?

Incase of getting stuck up in flood waters the case may be different, one may not be able to push open the doors due to outside water pressure. But in that case the automatic/cental door locking doesnot play any part.

thanks for your inputs in advance.

regards
Old 2nd August 2009, 08:11   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

A very valid point and worth considering.

Phamilyman you are looking for something like this to be kept in car. ThinkGeek :: BodyGard 5-In-1 Emergency Tool

A swiss-knife accessory / alternate also offers the same "Swiss army knife shop switzerland Windshield breaker*Victorinox"
Old 2nd August 2009, 08:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

The wheel nut spanner is a handy device for breaking glass. Keep under the driver's seat. But first you'd need to cut off the seat-belt if jammed.

A manual release cable might not help - doors often jam mechanically in an accident.

The glued-on windscreens (used in most cars today) cannot be shoved/kicked out with your feet, even if you have the agility! The old rubber beading types could.

A good pair of scissors to cut seat-belts is a must! Should be in the door pocket/glovebox so that it can be reached even when buckled up.
Old 2nd August 2009, 08:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

sir,

On examination, that 15 USD thing is nice if I can get it in India. ideally within 500 :-) me quite likes. The victornox is EVEN better.

lemme see when i can lay my hands on these!

@anup jee: Thanks a ton. clearly useful suggestions!

It was a proper corporate presentation (FTSE top 20 oil & gas firm) They even had a demonstration vid/pictures
I think I didn't explain the process well enough. You basically push the seat back, lie prostrate, then kick with both feet, while wedging yourself in. Worst case, ask navigator to pitch in as well. Of course, I've not tried it out and am surely not gonna get to try either hopefully

I will keep the other items as you said!

The reason I want a more sophisticated device is to be cause the least damage through flying glass shards. Shattering smartly would mean doing it slightly better!

Last edited by phamilyman : 2nd August 2009 at 09:06.
Old 2nd August 2009, 08:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

in my indica, there is the hatch release lever at my feet, and the lock itself at the back auto releases when i poke it with my fingers
Old 2nd August 2009, 13:29   #9

I had been in a similar situation (totaled). I was in the front passenger seat while my friend was in the driver's seat. Although the locks were open, the doors had jammed. The front wind shield had cracks and i tried kicking it to come out. The wind shield did not break open. Nor did the window on my side. I had to crawl over my bleeding friend to come out through the window on the driver's side and then helped him to come out as well. Although we were not wearing our seat belts that day, after this accident took place, i have second thoughts about wearing the seat belts.
Old 2nd August 2009, 15:11   #10
BHPian

what are you upto by d way ?

you can keep a good quality hammer for breaking the glass or a baseball bat which will help you in other situations also

i already faced this problem in my skoda octavia when some cab guy bang ot from rear and i wasn't able to open the dorrs as central locking got stuck at that time i had to break the side glass n escape
Old 2nd August 2009, 15:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Ah greenie, dear me - you're ever the smart one !

@Shreyas - i'm sure that would've been a life changing experience and quite terrifying few moments of your life!!

@Smokin bhai: Nothing. Just scared from the BMW incident. Given that my drive is almost always in triple digit speeds except in the hills - just thought its better to be prepared than one day be sorry. Mental insurance!

Last edited by phamilyman : 2nd August 2009 at 15:14.
Old 2nd August 2009, 15:20   #12
BHPian

for mental insurance ,you should drive it in double digits rather than triple speeds ,this will be much more relaxing n peaceful one for sure

and for the rest i would prefer a small knife which can be accessible like the keyring one and the small hammer( the one which is the steel with rubber grip) or the baseball bat

if possible keep the flash light too with you for safety precautions n first aid kit too
Old 2nd August 2009, 15:38   #13
BHPian

Well here's my point, What in the case you meet in an accident & you are unconsious inside. There are bystanders to help but cannot do anything as the doors are locked.
My point here is why drive with the doors locked ( child locks should be used when needed ). I had a 800 with a central locking fitted. I had specifically asked him switch off this system which locks all the doors when the car starts.
Old 2nd August 2009, 19:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

Good point. I will disable that in my Autocop tomorrow morning.
Old 2nd August 2009, 19:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

actually the credit for the idea goes to NSK123
here's the original post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...ml#post1396365

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks