Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2010, 17:13   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You use high beam( not flashing but on full time) to indicate to the traffic approaching you in the opposite lane to slow down as you are going to use their lane for overtaking
There's the rub... One should not be using another's vehicle's lane for overtaking. If there is oncoming traffic, just... don't!

But nobody has patience.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2010, 18:13   #62
BHPian

Don't follow close behind a vehicle whose brake lights are not working.

Don't follow close behind a vehicle whose driver uses engine braking.

Don't follow close behind a vehicle.
Old 9th February 2010, 22:56   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

...Hmmm, yes.

In the same department, preparation for overtaking should not include taking up a position six inches from the vehicle in front
Old 10th February 2010, 14:01   #64
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
Don't follow close behind a vehicle whose driver uses engine braking.
How does one know the car infront is using engine braking?

Engine braking is not "braking" per se. Its more of friction and engine characteristics in place.

Would it be better if we say dont follow a car which is slowing down?
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2010, 14:26   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
How does one know the car infront is using engine braking?
Yeah precisely. There is no way of knowing until it is probably too late.
Old 10th February 2010, 15:06   #66
BHPian

'Keep-up lanes while taking bends'

This is very important in countries like US where you have to maintain lanes to avoid being hit from behind.

In India, absolutely none of us follow this. We start the bend in one lane, when the bend completes, we are in the other lane.

Example: One car is on the leftmost lane and wants to turn left. He starts turning in the left lane and when the turn completes, he ends up in the right lane little knowing that he has jumped a lanes. It is only the laziness to steer or plain ignorance.

If I was following him from behind, I would be in for a shock and also someone following me.

Wish I had a picture to elaborate this.

Fact: When we cannot keep up lanes even on straights, how can we on bends
Old 11th February 2010, 20:09   #67
vsh
BHPian

very useful driving lessons here. any guidance on how to drive on single lane highways, like mangalore- panaji coastal highway? recently i drove to udupi, dharmasthala(first time in my car) and i found it very difficult to overtake, anticipate traffic, especially while returning at night. it really needs courage and skill to overtake in this highway.
Old 11th February 2010, 20:32   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsh View Post
.....any guidance on how to drive on single lane highways, like mangalore- panaji coastal highway?......it really needs courage and skill to overtake in this highway.
If an overtaking situation requires courage (as opposed to confidence) it's likely to be a dangerous situation and it's better not to overtake in such a situation.

The way I look at it - when I drive on a highway I try and enjoy the drive and the trip, rather than trying to cover the distance as fast as possible. Don't have too many opportunities to enjoy driving while within the city.

Last edited by straightdrive : 11th February 2010 at 20:34.
Old 12th February 2010, 11:48   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
very useful driving lessons here. any guidance on how to drive on single lane highways, like mangalore- panaji coastal highway? recently i drove to udupi, dharmasthala(first time in my car) and i found it very difficult to overtake, anticipate traffic, especially while returning at night. it really needs courage and skill to overtake in this highway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightdrive View Post
If an overtaking situation requires courage (as opposed to confidence) it's likely to be a dangerous situation and it's better not to overtake in such a situation.

The way I look at it - when I drive on a highway I try and enjoy the drive and the trip, rather than trying to cover the distance as fast as possible. Don't have too many opportunities to enjoy driving while within the city.
+1 to that. Don't overtake unless you have sufficient space and time to complete the manouvere without hindering oncoming traffic. Better late than never. Do not tailgate. In addition to being dangerous, you cannot see the larger picture. Leave sufficient gap from the vehicle in front of you. Overtake only when it is safe to do so. Trust me, its not worth the risk otherwise.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2010, 15:30   #70
Senior - BHPian

Tips for Driving Efficiently - Part 1

1. Avoid rapid acceleration and braking. This leads to excessive fuel wastage. Smooth acceleration and braking contributes substantially to improved FE.

2. Lower your speed. Try to maintain 45-55 kmph in the city and below 80 kmph on the highway. Anything above 80 kmph will lead to a significant increase in fuel consumption.

3. Avoid excessive idling. If you have to stop for more than a minute, switch off the engine.

4. Always maintain the recommended tyre pressure.

5. Use cruise control if equipped. Using cruise control on a highway helps to maintain a steady speed without driver intervention. It leads to better FE. The savings can be substantial. Avoid cruise control on hilly tracks else it could work against you.
Old 12th February 2010, 15:32   #71
Senior - BHPian

thats a nice thread....brings out a lot for the newbies of the driving world. am sure it will help....great work guys!!!
Old 12th February 2010, 16:03   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
very useful driving lessons here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
thats a nice thread....brings out a lot for the newbies of the driving world. am sure it will help....great work guys!!!
Thanks guys. Your appreciation is my inspiration !
Old 12th February 2010, 16:55   #73
Senior - BHPian

Tips for Driving Efficiently - Part 2

1. When moving in city traffic that is speeding up and abruptly slowing down, try coasting. Give yourself a few seconds gap before you start accelerating. Accelerate slowly, leaving space in front of you. If you see traffic ahead, beyond the car immediately in front of you hitting the brakes, take you foot off the accelerator. If timed properly, you would meet the car in front of you, just as it's starting to pull away. You will be amazed at the FE you get by doing this.

2. Try to coast to a stop instead of running to a traffic signal and then ramming the brakes. Look ahead and beyond the car immediately in front of you to anticipate a coast. If the signal ahead turns red, or the cars ahead start hitting their brakes, ease of the accelerator.

3. Take it easy on climbs. Ease a bit off the accelerator as you start your climb. Trying to maintain the same speed as you climb will lead to a drop in FE.

4. Try to avoid rush hour traffic as far as possible.

5. Plan your route ahead. Take the route that offers the least traffic/signals.

Last edited by longhorn : 12th February 2010 at 16:58.
longhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2010, 17:27   #74
Senior - BHPian

Tips for Driving Efficiently - Part 3

1. Shift gears at the correct speed. Travelling at a higher speed on a lower gear leads to excessive fuel consumption. Change to the highest gear as soon as possible without engine knocking. The overdrive gear(s) reduce engine speed thereby improving FE.

2. Maintain a steady speed as far as possible. Speeding up and slowing down wastes fuel.

3. Do not ride the clutch. The slighest pressure puts a drag on the clutch components, wearing them down prematurely.

4. Avoid rough roads as far as possible. In addition to loss of FE, it increases wear and tear of your vehicle.

5. Remove excess weight. Extra weight reduces the FE. This is especially true while climbing a hill.

Last edited by longhorn : 12th February 2010 at 17:31.
Old 13th February 2010, 10:18   #75
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
Yeah precisely. There is no way of knowing until it is probably too late.
But engine braking is more gradual, and is never sudden like say when someone slams on their brake pedal. I don't agree with the "probably too late" bit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks