Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2011, 18:55   #151
BHPian

Re: Driving Guide : Rules, Tips, Etiquette & Common Mistakes To Avoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Not always. If you suddenly cut in front of someone and then slam your brakes, then its yours fault. I may be wrong though....
Oh yes, that maybe true. But in my case, I was following the vehicle in-front of me at a safe distance. Suddenly he braked hard, then I had to brake hard and I managed to stop in time but unfortunately, the folks behind me couldn't.
Old 17th May 2011, 19:38   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
I guess this is the right topic to ask this doubt. Suppose you are standing at a signal and you need to take a left. The signal in front of you is RED but when it turns green, there is no green signal for going left, just the straight one turns green. So would you take a free left even if the signal is red?
Having being challaned once for taking a free left when a signal existed, the traffic cop offered this advice.
At an intersection, if you see the traffic lights in shape of an inverted 'T' - free left is not allowed. In such situations wait till the straight opens up or the traffic on your left gets it's green.
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 19:53   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibzi View Post
Oh yes, that maybe true. But in my case, I was following the vehicle in-front of me at a safe distance. Suddenly he braked hard, then I had to brake hard and I managed to stop in time but unfortunately, the folks behind me couldn't.
thanks to you and amitoj, however this doesn't help me. Though I guess we are all frustrated with that.

Follow up question:

what do you do when you realise that some jack*** is tailgating you with 0 margin in a situation (like at an intersection) where you may have to break suddenly?

I try to maintain a low speed and some distance up front so that the sudden braking doesn't have to happen in first place, but then people start cutting in from left and right increasing the probability that I may have to brake suddenly.
Old 19th May 2011, 12:25   #154
Senior - BHPian

Many of us might have encountered these situations and i request some answers.

a) You are driving in your lane and you find the truck in front of you suddenly moves in to your lane from left without any signal. I had bad accident last month when i hit the rear of a oil tanker who suddenly moved into my lane when i was driving on NH 4 as there was hardly much gap betwen us. Since then i have been counting the number of times the truck guys do this mischief. Yesterday, i was driving back from Chitradurga and could count six such occassions in both directions. Earlier i never used to horn thinking that these guys will be moving in their own lane peacefully. I have started doing it now everytime i see a truck in front of me on the left lane. The trick seems to be working as atleast on three occassions the truck drivers went back to thier own lane!! Any other tricks?

b) How do you avoid high beams??? I dip but the guy coming in front just does not care. What do you expect me to do?

c) How do you negotiate a vehicle parked on the side suddenly starts and comes into your lane??? It happenned to me yesterday and since i was not in great speed was able to negotiate.
Old 19th May 2011, 14:39   #155
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post

a) You are driving in your lane and you find the truck in front of you suddenly moves in to your lane from left without any signal. I had bad accident last month when i hit the rear of a oil tanker who suddenly moved into my lane when i was driving on NH 4 as there was hardly much gap betwen us. Since then i have been counting the number of times the truck guys do this mischief. Yesterday, i was driving back from Chitradurga and could count six such occassions in both directions. Earlier i never used to horn thinking that these guys will be moving in their own lane peacefully. I have started doing it now everytime i see a truck in front of me on the left lane. The trick seems to be working as atleast on three occassions the truck drivers went back to thier own lane!! Any other tricks?

Whenever you are driving parallel to a truck or in fact any vehicle, be sure to slow down to account for a "sudden" turn. If it is during the day, it would be advisable if you sound horn, although only if you feel the vehicle might come into your lane. If it is dark, you can flash your high beam to make him aware.

You just have to be careful while driving past vehicles which are known to change lanes suddenly (buses, trucks, 2/3-wheelers, tractors etc. : you get the picture!)

Stay behind and wait for an opportunity to pass; once you have it, quickly get past the vehicle. It would be a good thing to let the driver know of your intention.

No trick, just be careful!

b) How do you avoid high beams??? I dip but the guy coming in front just does not care. What do you expect me to do?

When you have an oncoming vehicle on high beam, just flash a coupla times to make him realize he is on the high beam. If he switches to the lower beam, good enough. If not, carry on with your life and be more careful. The "eye-for-eye" attitude will only make things worse and boil your blood.

c) How do you negotiate a vehicle parked on the side suddenly starts and comes into your lane??? It happenned to me yesterday and since i was not in great speed was able to negotiate.
Again, be careful when you are parallel with another vehicle. Slow down and guage what the driver's intention are. It is fine to let the idiot have his way rather than forcing your own and making life difficult for yourself.

Last edited by GTO : 20th May 2011 at 13:08. Reason: Please avoid typing in all BOLD as it leads to an eyesore for other users
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 21:22   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Never rely on truck drivers being able to hear your horn. Some of them live with so much engine noise, they probably can't hear their own horns!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2011, 02:23   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

a) You are driving in your lane and you find the truck in front of you suddenly moves in to your lane from left without any signal....Any other tricks?
Use your horns/lights to make him aware of your being!

Quote:
You can't! Atleast on stretches which don't have any vegetation on medians or worse, no meadians at all. Like libran suggested, at best we can flash our headlights to request the other driver to dip his. If he doesn't, well, divert your gaze to something else on the road, markings maybe!

Quote:
Same as a). If you see the driver in the vehicle, use your horn/headlights to let him know you are coming through. If he starts to move in before you reach his bumper, let him in (assuming you are not on an expressway doing 140!).

Last edited by Dry Ice : 22nd May 2011 at 02:25.
Old 22nd May 2011, 03:35   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice
You can't! Atleast on stretches which don't have any vegetation on medians or worse, no meadians at all. Like libran suggested, at best we can flash our headlights to request the other driver to dip his. If he doesn't, well, divert your gaze to something else on the road, markings maybe!

Same as a). If you see the driver in the vehicle, use your horn/headlights to let him know you are coming through. If he starts to move in before you reach his bumper, let him in (assuming you are not on an expressway doing 140!).
b] in my experience some vehicles switch to low beam when you flash. Some morons try to get into a flashing match by beginning to flash themselves. However, most just carry on nonchalantly. I have found it better to focus on the street markings, but these leave me open to the risk of someone veering into my path from the oncoming direction. Does it help of we wear night driving goggles ( the ones with yellow tints perhaps)?

c] I have had a bad experience with an indica reversing into my car from a no parking area. I find there is little to do other than stay alert, honk and hope the idiot is able hear you
Old 22nd May 2011, 05:00   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Does it help of we wear night driving goggles ( the ones with yellow tints perhaps)?
Never used those, no idea! Maybe people who have used this can comment on the effectiveness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
c] I have had a bad experience with an indica reversing into my car from a no parking area. I find there is little to do other than stay alert, honk and hope the idiot is able hear you
That's exactly what I meant, you can't really control the other vehicle, your best bet is to stay alert and make the other driver notice you(lights/horns). Rest, bhagwaan bachaye!
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:13   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Never used those, no idea! Maybe people who have used this can comment on the effectiveness.
Please avoid them at all costs. I bought one, attracted by the price tag and ended up with a strained eye. When I looked down at the road, it appeared concave and I mistook it for an undulation.

The Fastrack biker series or the M5*A series should do the job very well.

But, what if you have a dirty or sctratched windshield/helmet visor ?

Last edited by para_7k : 23rd May 2011 at 11:14.
Old 23rd May 2011, 12:40   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
Follow up question:
what do you do when you realise that some jack*** is tailgating you with 0 margin in a situation (like at an intersection) where you may have to break suddenly?
This may not be the recommended option but I slow down till the extent that the idiot decides that overtaking me is a better option for him.
I have also tried to indicate that it is ok for him to overtake me; I really hate it when people either tailgate at zero margin or drive behind me on high beam. I am thinking of getting some flashlights installed at the rear to indicate them to shift to regular/ low beam

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
Please avoid them at all costs. I bought one, attracted by the price tag and ended up with a strained eye. When I looked down at the road, it appeared concave and I mistook it for an undulation. The Fastrack biker series or the M5*A series should do the job very well.
But, what if you have a dirty or sctratched windshield/helmet visor ?
It is always best to buy glasses from opticians based on the needs of your eyes; IMHO it is possible that the others have some "number" to it that is mostly unsuitable for our vision.
Thanks, I will look for the Fastrack biker series definitely. Never seen the M5*A series, is it sold at specific outlets?
At least the dirt or scratch is something that we can (and should) fix soon!
Old 27th May 2011, 21:56   #162
Senior - BHPian

Just noticed the 5 star rating for the thread. I want to say a big thank you to all those who made it possible.
Old 7th July 2011, 17:14   #163

Woman Learner/Driver aboard!

Hi Everyone!

Woman driver aboard! I have read enough posts here to know how much one is dreaded!

So, I got my license a month back, and I am still in the process of gaining enough confidence driving alone in the mad roads of Bangalore! I drive mostly with my husband sitting in the front passenger seat, but will be gradually making the progression to start driving alone. So, just wanted to know what were the issues you all faced in your initial driving days, how much of a nuisance you were to others and what made you the good drivers you are today.

Here are some of my questions/concerns. Any pointers on what I might be doing wrong/how to correct/its okay-you-are-doing-alright would be much appreciated.

1. Turning - When there is a blind corner where I have to make a turn, I feel more comfortable taking very slow turn, stopping, watching both sides and then proceeding. Needless to say this is met with lot of honking from drivers behind. What is the right way to do this?

2. Making a turn right into busy City Road which is also an NH.
There is one point where in I need to make a turn right into NH and at this point, I need to turn into the right most Lane as there will be vehicles in the middle and left lanes. So I proceed on the right lane, at 50-60 kmph. This leads to people overtaking me from left. I am aware that the right most lane is the fast/over-taking lane, but I am not comfortable moving into middle lane immediately as cars/trucks/two -wheelers fly through them, nor am I comfortable travelling at a higher speed than this as of now. Please note that this is a busy road I am talking about, and not empty so its not like I am hogging the right lane, and I do move to the left most lane when I get a chance, but I take quite a bit of time to move from right most to left lane. Just how bad is this and how much am I inconveniencing other drivers and how should I tackle this?

3. Typical problems faced by Learning Lady driver
Now this I am sure, everyone is aware of. The moment some people spot me at the wheel, they either turn very arrogant, trying to push me to a side or start moving into my lane (on a two way service road), which forces me to come to a stand still to let the person move. Now I dont know if this treatment is because they see a woman at the wheel, or because of the L board (I still have the L board on, as I believe atleast some people would be considerate seeing that, and they have been). I have even wondered if I should remove the L board so they will treat me a little less savagely!

I keep hearing that looking at driving as a chore is what makes it difficult, and I have to admit I actaully enjoy driving around areas where traffic is regulated, but at times its so crazy and reckless, its scary to be in the middle of it all. I hope I will not have any bad experience in the initial days as I fear that might put me off for good!

So go ahead, help boost my confidence!

[I did see several posts on advice for new drives, but I had some specific questions, hence the new post. Please move/merge as appropriate.]
Old 7th July 2011, 19:04   #164
Senior - BHPian

Re: Woman Learner/Driver aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mp View Post

1. Turning - When there is a blind corner where I have to make a turn, I feel more comfortable taking very slow turn, stopping, watching both sides and then proceeding. Needless to say this is met with lot of honking from drivers behind. What is the right way to do this?

Right way is to ignore the people behind you first of all who are honking at you. Once you gain confidence your speed will increase on its own.

2. Making a turn right into busy City Road which is also an NH.
There is one point where in I need to make a turn right into NH and at this point, I need to turn into the right most Lane as there will be vehicles in the middle and left lanes. So I proceed on the right lane, at 50-60 kmph. This leads to people overtaking me from left. I am aware that the right most lane is the fast/over-taking lane, but I am not comfortable moving into middle lane immediately as cars/trucks/two -wheelers fly through them, nor am I comfortable travelling at a higher speed than this as of now. Please note that this is a busy road I am talking about, and not empty so its not like I am hogging the right lane, and I do move to the left most lane when I get a chance, but I take quite a bit of time to move from right most to left lane. Just how bad is this and how much am I inconveniencing other drivers and how should I tackle this?

Again safety comes first - don't move into the middle lane unless it is safe to do so. If you turn the indicators on, and still people are impatient - let them honk, just ignore them

3. Typical problems faced by Learning Lady driver
Now this I am sure, everyone is aware of. The moment some people spot me at the wheel, they either turn very arrogant, trying to push me to a side or start moving into my lane (on a two way service road), which forces me to come to a stand still to let the person move. Now I dont know if this treatment is because they see a woman at the wheel, or because of the L board (I still have the L board on, as I believe atleast some people would be considerate seeing that, and they have been). I have even wondered if I should remove the L board so they will treat me a little less savagely!

It is because of a lady driver. I have seen it happen many a times sitting besides my sister - ignore the morons.

I keep hearing that looking at driving as a chore is what makes it difficult, and I have to admit I actaully enjoy driving around areas where traffic is regulated, but at times its so crazy and reckless, its scary to be in the middle of it all. I hope I will not have any bad experience in the initial days as I fear that might put me off for good!

So go ahead, help boost my confidence!

[I did see several posts on advice for new drives, but I had some specific questions, hence the new post. Please move/merge as appropriate.]

My sister learnt to drive every single vehicle (starting from a bicycle) years ahead of me, and she is younger than I am.

Have full confidence, ignore the bad drivers and honkers on the roads, do what you feel is safe and slowly you'll gain confidence.
vina is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2011, 19:20   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Woman Learner/Driver aboard!

Agree with vina.

And a piece of advice that I give to all the women in my life: don't allow anyone to tell you you are can't do something (well) just because you're a woman? Each of us, male or female, has gone through what you've described in your original post. Am sure you know that old joke: a man with a violin asks a beggar on the street, excuse me how do I get to Albert Hall? and the guy replies "Practice man, practice"!

That's all you need- tons of miles under your belt in all kinds of situations and you will feel as confident on the road as any MAN here. All the best!

PS>> I don't mean to be insensitive- certainly people ogling at you, gesturing or getting aggressive just because you're a woman is something no man will ever face, but you need to ignore these idiots, as vina suggested. It will be difficult, but it's the only way to survive on our mad streets!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed