Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2010, 16:04   #226
Team-BHP Support

Hmm OK. But if you think of it, the tyres of big trucks can easily climb over low slung cars. The crumple zones won't be very effective. But the fat/high front end of a Swift would allow its crumple zones (and then airbags) to work.

Also, if a low slung long bonnet car crashes into a bus or truck from behind in India , it goes right in - and most of the impact is born by the dashboard and the A-pillar. That's because most of those darn trucks don't have a crash barrier fitted.

Also remember that your family was saved by a little small car - not by a car with a titanic like bonnet.
Old 18th February 2010, 16:37   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Hmm OK. But if you think of it, the tyres of big trucks can easily climb over low slung cars. The crumple zones won't be very effective. But the fat/high front end of a Swift would allow its crumple zones (and then airbags) to work.

Also, if a low slung long bonnet car crashes into a bus or truck from behind in India , it goes right in - and most of the impact is born by the dashboard and the A-pillar. That's because most of those darn trucks don't have a crash barrier fitted.

Also remember that your family was saved by a little small car - not by a car with a titanic like bonnet.
Thanks for the input.Let me see how it works out
Old 4th March 2010, 21:54   #228
BHPian

shishir, just saw this thread. scary accident. your guardian angels were with you man, really lucky to come out with minor injuries. Hope things are well now.

The before and after pic you posted is very moving one. I can feel all the pain you would have gont through. I think your son is almost same age as mine. The image of the little one with the bandages is disturbing. Could you please take a pic taken recently, where the little one is smiling and post it here. Hope I am not asking for too much.
Old 5th March 2010, 09:07   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Could you please take a pic taken recently, where the little one is smiling and post it here. Hope I am not asking for too much.
"JUST FOR YOU"

10year old Matiz saved 4 members and faded in the sunset-img_2428.jpg
Old 5th March 2010, 09:09   #230
Senior - BHPian

So cute!!

Thanks almighty for keeping your family safe.
Old 5th March 2010, 09:41   #231
BHPian

shishir, sorry about your accident, you and your family were lucky to come out with minor injuries. Hope all recover at the earliest.

Regarding your next car, I kind of agree with Smartcat. The low slung sedans are more prone to greateer damage.
Why don't you look at a good built hatch back with safety features. Maybe a Swift Zxi or Palio 1.6 SP?
I serioulsy can't think of any other hatchback car that came with ABS/Airbags to suit your price bracket.

Edit - I forgot to ask the budget you are looking at. Since you mentioned Ikon and Accent, I assumed you had a budget of about 3-3.5.
I would recommend you stretch a little bit more and look at a 2002/3 Corolla which is retailing at around 4.5 in Bangalore.

Last edited by gods-envy : 5th March 2010 at 09:44.
Old 5th March 2010, 09:46   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
So cute!!

Thanks almighty for keeping your family safe.
Thanks Arun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gods-envy View Post
Regarding your next car, I kind of agree with Smartcat. The low slung sedans are more prone to greateer damage.
Why don't you look at a good built hatch back with safety features. Maybe a Swift Zxi or Palio 1.6 SP?
I serioulsy can't think of any other hatchback car that came with ABS/Airbags to suit your price bracket.
@Envy, Due to some unavoidable circumstances and changes in the home dynamics car purchasing plan are on the back seat for some 3-4 months. After that I will surely take your point. Thanks once again
Old 5th March 2010, 10:41   #233
Senior - BHPian

Shishir, sad to hear this. Glad to know that things are fine.

Spend some moments at your place of worship.
Old 5th March 2010, 16:58   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
"JUST FOR YOU"

Attachment 300795
Thanks Shishir. Happy to see him. I will show this to my wife, who was concerned after I described the accident.

Seriously spend some time at your place of worship. Every action of yours should now reflect the fact that you are given a second chance, make the best out of it. All the best.
Old 5th March 2010, 17:00   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Shishir, sad to hear this. Glad to know that things are fine.Spend some moments at your place of worship.
Already thanked at that place
Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Thanks Shishir. Happy to see him. I will show this to my wife, who was concerned after I described the accident.Seriously spend some time at your place of worship. Every action of yours should now reflect the fact that you are given a second chance, make the best out of it. All the best.
Thanks Basil for the concerns.As you said it is the second chance and I am trying to get the best of it
Old 13th January 2011, 14:10   #236
Senior - BHPian

Barandur cross(Bhadravathii Bye-Pass)

Yesterday Jan 12th we had been to Bhadravathi for this court case. We were called for the evidence. After taking note of everything they have called for cross examination on feb 5th.

So while back I just wanted to see the place where it all happened. The place doesn't seem dangerous though. So we parked at a far disatnce and went to the spot to take the photo. Our lawyer told that after our accident they had put 8-9 humps at that place.

I thought now this junction would be safe. Only to be shattered by a BUS, Lorry, tipper and a Tempo Traveler. I just stood there for 5 mins and I saw almost 2 bikers getting killed by these Yamaraj vehicles.

It is like this::

Even though the humps are placed these Yamaraj vahan's never slow down. They just zip across and take a left turn if Coming from B'lore side to Shivamogga and the same case if coming from Shivamogga towards Bangalore. Adding to this since it is a "T" Junction and people from the other side of the junction also try to move fast i.e from the Bhadravthi city side.

These bikers Just crossed the humps and had gone just 20-30ft auddenly a KSRTC bus went full throttle on the humps and at the "nth" moment he saw the bikers and hit the brakes. The bus stopped just 2 inches behind the bike. The biker saw the bus coming in full speed and left the bike and jumped.

All this happened within 2 secs(by the time my camera could open the shutters). I was dumbstruck. Just see the junction. It looks simple and nothing much. But the locals told that even after these humps were placed one big accident happens in every 2 days. Drivers don't don't slow down at all.

I was thinking within 5 mins these many things happened. Then imagine the case for the whole day and that too when the Sun is at the peak and what all things can happen.

The locals also said that many would take the footpath if they see the Yamaraj vahans from behind or from the front.
Attached Thumbnails
10year old Matiz saved 4 members and faded in the sunset-img0482a.jpg  

10year old Matiz saved 4 members and faded in the sunset-img0483a.jpg  

10year old Matiz saved 4 members and faded in the sunset-img0484a.jpg  

10year old Matiz saved 4 members and faded in the sunset-img0485a.jpg  

10year old Matiz saved 4 members and faded in the sunset-img0486a.jpg  

Old 13th January 2011, 14:36   #237
BHPian

Re: 10year old Matiz saved 4 members and faded in the sunset

I have followed your thread closely and am happy to see that you and your family are alright and have moved on. I've had a similar experience in my life where I lost three dear friends of mine. But, unlike you, I don't even want to go anywhere near that place. It just brings back the bad memories. Anyhow, looks like this place is still dangerous and I hope that someday the authorities will be able to find a solution for this stretch. I wish you and your family to have a safe drive always.
Old 13th January 2011, 14:59   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praz View Post
I have followed your thread closely and am happy to see that you and your family are alright and have moved on. I've had a similar experience in my life where I lost three dear friends of mine. But, unlike you, I don't even want to go anywhere near that place. It just brings back the bad memories. Anyhow, looks like this place is still dangerous and I hope that someday the authorities will be able to find a solution for this stretch. I wish you and your family to have a safe drive always.
Thanks for your wishes. I don't know when the action might be taken. But after almost 1 year they have atleast put small humps which is of no use. But until a step is taken we don't know how much lives will go for a toss.
Old 13th January 2011, 15:34   #239
Senior - BHPian

shishir why blame only the buses and trucks pal. Have driven this route umpteen times and its seldom that I have seen any car for that matter slow down here. Those humps arent good enough to deter any car driver to slow down.

The last time I drove that route was about a month back or so and was telling my friends that those speed breakers are in no ways helping reduce the speed of approaching vehicles. That said am glad you have moved on from the bad episode you all went through. Drive safe.
Old 13th January 2011, 15:46   #240
Senior - BHPian

My 2 cents worth - Indian traffic is such that road dividers are absolutely essential. At least some head on accidents can be prevented, and one can focus on the traffic headed in the same direction. One of our family friends lost his life a couple of years ago, when a bus was trying to overtake a truck (both oncoming) and rammed into his Santro head on (Pune Solapur road). I dont understand what the great hurry is to overtake a vehicle and put other lives in danger. Isnt one delayed further if they drive rash?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks