Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2010, 13:52   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
then where to use high-beam? i presume you are saying we should not use high-beam when there is an on-coming traffic, is it?

OT--sad to see that in a place like Hyd. riders are allowed to go lid-less
Took it off a DMV site. This should hold good here too.

Do not blind other drivers with your high beam headlights. Dim your lights to low beams within 500 feet of a vehicle coming toward you. If you are following another vehicle, change to low beams within 300 feet. Use your high beams whenever possible as long as it is not illegal (i.e., in open country or on dark city streets).
Old 14th April 2012, 11:22   #32
BHPian

Re: Road Dividers - a major cause of accidents

23-year-old killed as car hits divider in Hauz Khas, overturns

Not wearing a seat belt cost a 23-year-old man his life, after the car he was driving hit a divider, turned turtle and was dragged 20 metres early on Friday morning.

Ramneet Singh, the son of a businessman, was travelling in the Toyota Corolla Altis with a friend, Neha Bindra, who was wearing a seat belt, and sustained minor injuries.

Am posting the link for the article in this thread. Am all for the dividers I do not know what is worse - Drivers or bad signs in the roads or both? In this particular case, the driver is at fault on 2 counts: For speeding @ 150 kmph and for not wearing seatbelt. The passenger literally walked away from the accident.

23-year-old killed as car hits divider in Hauz Khas, overturns - Indian Express
Old 14th April 2012, 11:37   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
American freeways do not use a divider. They use a wide and shallow ditch to separate the two sides.
Largely yes. But there are several highways with dividers in US. Usually of white concrete. There is nothing wrong with properly marked dividers, many western countries have them.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 14th April 2012 at 11:38.
Old 14th April 2012, 16:20   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Largely yes. But there are several highways with dividers in US. Usually of white concrete. There is nothing wrong with properly marked dividers, many western countries have them.
Most freeways in urban limits in the cities I have been in the US have dividers and not the ditches between opposite traffic. However in the rural areas where there is no paucity of land, there is usually the ditch separating opposite traffic.
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:35   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Most freeways in urban limits in the cities I have been in the US have dividers and not the ditches between opposite traffic. However in the rural areas where there is no paucity of land, there is usually the ditch separating opposite traffic.
Yes, that is what I was saying. RT 1, 27 in NJ, US101 in California etc ...
Old 23rd April 2012, 21:27   #36
Senior - BHPian

Dividers, when properly marked or illuminated, are a boon. I have seen hundreds - yes, hundreds - of vehicles which hit a divider. Almost every time these dividers are not visible if there is oncoming traffic.

A divider should start at a height so as to not to miss it. One simple remedy for the invisibility of the divider at the start of town/village is to place a butterfly light at the start of the divider.

Shrubs may encourage driving without dipping the lights but there are not many 'dippers' left. So shrubs are the best idea at present.
Old 13th September 2017, 13:52   #37
Senior - BHPian

Unmarked Dividers In Bangalore Causing Accidents.

Dividers, when properly marked or illuminated, are a boon. Many vehicles hit a divider every day in Bangalore due to lack of sign indicating the presence of a Divider. Lack of a traffic sign could prove lethal for bikers travelling at Normal speeds. Drivers cruising even at normal speeds are suddenly caught unawares of the sudden appearance of road dividers.

Placing the signboards before the beginning of dividers indicating the road dividers ahead would make the drivers cautious and reduce such accidents to a great extent. Many developed countries have properly marked out dividers with signs/warnings, reflectors to avoid accidents.

I mention this to underscore the need for a similar approach to properly mark dividers in Bangalore to prevent accidents & have urged the authorities (BBMP/BDA) to install dividers and prevent accidents.

How many of you have seen accidents due to unmarked dividers.?

Waseem.

Last edited by GTO : 14th September 2017 at 10:14. Reason: typos
SILVERWOOD is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 15:07   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Unmarked Dividers In Bangalore Causing Accidents.

One thing I had noticed in the past - One way. Whenever I come, the roads keeps changing to either 1 way or the other way round. But that seems to be stable now (atleast in the parts of Bangalore I usually drive around).

Now you have these unmarked dividers. But the major concern is that they are growing. Best example would the one near gurudwara near 1@MG Road mall and the one near ITC flyover, Frazer town. They had these in the past but these keep growing. I had a close call during my recent visit.

These guys need to do something about this.
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 15:57   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Now you have these unmarked dividers. But the major concern is that they are growing. Best example would the one near gurudwara near 1@MG Road mall and the one near ITC flyover, Frazer town. They had these in the past but these keep growing. I had a close call during my recent visit.

These guys need to do something about this.
All dividers in Frazer town will have scratch marks as cars would have climbed over them during nights and more so in the rainy season.The divider near Thom's bakery and the one near coles park ( seppings road junction) must have damaged countless cars.I have managed to rescue few of them in last couple of years.

Waseem.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 17:09   #40
Senior - BHPian

The issue with markers on dividers (painted or 3M reflectors) is that within days they go invisible due to them getting covered in dirt. There really is no way around it.
The only possible solution is to plan and make the dividers in such a way that they do not begin abruptly and unexpectedly.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 19:52   #41
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore traffic police/ BBMP are on a vengeance mode.

There are dividers installed on 20 feet wide road in Jallahalli and Yeshwanthpur. Traffic signals have come up in many junctions (Mathikere and MS Palya) causing traffic snarls where there was free flowing traffic before.
Add the dug up roads and pothole ridden roads, it seems that they are trying to make Bangalore unlivable.

Last edited by GTO : 14th September 2017 at 09:09. Reason: Let's not bring regional debates into this
Old 13th September 2017, 20:22   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Dividers, when properly marked or illuminated, are a boon.
Couldn't agree more. People driving from Hassan to Chikkamagaluru would remember the series of unmarked, unexpected, appearing out of the blue dividers between Hagare and Belur. Almost all of them are placed at road bends. Many newbies (on that stretch) try overtaking others without knowing/anticipating/guessing/imagining that a divider could not just play spoilsport with their overtaking manuevour but could also prove fatal. This is more so during night time.

A couple of years ago, a father-son duo travelling in an Innova climbed on one such divider. Sadly, the father couldn't survive the accident and the son was greviously injured.

A warning sign is very much needed. It could be a simple one like the cautionary sign indicating an oncoming road hump. A few cat eyes/reflective stickers placed at the beginning of the dividers is all it takes to prevent a lot of mishaps.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 21:54   #43
Senior - BHPian

Good point, Waseem. Parag has recently posted a video of a Figo running over a divider on the service road beside the highway near Hebbal.

In Hyderabad too, we have a 'notorious' median on the Begumpet flyover that caused many accidents. The authorities have later installed a luminous sign over it to caution drivers. Most of us know it, but newcomers may not. I am not sure if that sign is still there though.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 22:32   #44
Senior - BHPian

I'm not from Bengaluru, but this is a bane in most Indian cities! Many years ago I used to drive to Pallavaram from Adyar, Chennai. The place after the airport was ill lit at night and there was an elevated unmarked divider (which I knew) but the Scorpio in front did not see and his right side wheels ascended the divider at speed and lucky for him and me as I was following him he came back on tarmac without incident, he must have been shaken.
It also happened to me when I hired a Wagon R cab to go to Central Station at night, the windshield was all smudged and dirty and when we were on the Kotturpuram overbridge the the cab also hit the median, luckily for us it didn't topple over and all us were "shaken and stirred" after that incident.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 13th September 2017 at 22:33.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 22:56   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Dividers, when properly marked or illuminated, are a boon. Many vehicles hit a divider every day in Bangalore due to lack of sign indicating the presence of a Divider. Lack of a traffic sign could prove lethal for bikers travelling at Normal speeds. Drivers cruising even at normal speeds are suddenly caught unawares of the sudden appearance of road dividers.

Placing the sign boards before the beginning of dividers indicating the road dividers ahead would make the drivers cautious and reduce such accidents to a great extent.Many developed countries have properly marked out divers with signs/warnings, reflectors to avoids accidents.

How many of you have seen accidents due to unmarked dividers.?

Waseem.
You have very well highlighted an extremely peculiar problem which is being faced by motorists throughout the nation due to utter carelessness on the part of PWD B&R authorities. The absence of proper illumination and reflectors on dividers is a bane on many roads and highways of northern states of Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh. The situation on the National Highways is somewhat satisfactory but the going gets tough and risky as one enters the state highways which are mostly two lane two way traffic roads.

Whenever such state highways pass through small towns a divider is compulsorily added to them without taking the most vital aspect i.e the width of the road into consideration. The construction of divider makes the already narrow road more narrower and hence causes traffic bottlenecks. Moreover as these structures spring out from nowhere they result in speeding vehicles crashing into them while overtaking. But authorities never care to put on reflectors and lights on the far ends of these dividers. During day time the situation is still somehow manageable but during nights its a perfect recipe for disaster.

Regards.

Most Viewed