Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2010, 14:31   #46
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@Uday. That's pretty interesting read about the airbag. Thanks.
Old 20th April 2010, 23:44   #47
BHPian

Well, I am yet to hear back from the insurance guys regarding further course of action. The surveyor has requested some time to get back on the options of repairing the car v/s the amount I would get if opting for total loss. I am afraid I may have to let go of the car after hearing from many of you that the car will not be the same anymore. Sadly that may be the only wise option.

As far as the police case is concerned, the FIR is filed and I guess things will take their own sweet time to proceed. All cars involved had to sign an undertaking that we will not sell the car or alter its shape or color till the case is over. I am not sure what happens when the car is declared a total loss.

Regarding airbag deployment, I remember hearing the airbags deploy and seeing that happen from the corner of my eye as my attention was totally focused on what was happening outside. I did not fall on the airbag as i was firmly held in place by the seat belts upon impact and was still holding the steering wheel when the car came to a standstill. When I unbuckled myself and first got out of the car, the airbags were still inflated. I guess they then started deflating slowly. Later I noticed that both airbags have 2 holes on either side about 2 inches in diameter that look as if they were caused by piercing them with some hot object. Not sure about the details of how that happened. Maybe @Uday can help here.

Now the question of what car next arises, and my heart is not ready to accept anything other than a Cedia. I can't think of a worthy replacement yet although I am considering going for a pre-owned Civic, maybe. I wish we could get pre-owned Cedias as easily as we get Civics.

I had read in some posts that road tax can be claimed back if the vehicle goes for total loss but there was not much detail on this. Any inputs on this guys?
Old 21st April 2010, 00:48   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
Well, I am yet to hear back from the insurance guys regarding further course of action. The surveyor has requested some time to get back on the options of repairing the car v/s the amount I would get if opting for total loss. I am afraid I may have to let go of the car after hearing from many of you that the car will not be the same anymore. Sadly that may be the only wise option.

As far as the police case is concerned, the FIR is filed and I guess things will take their own sweet time to proceed. All cars involved had to sign an undertaking that we will not sell the car or alter its shape or color till the case is over. I am not sure what happens when the car is declared a total loss.

Regarding airbag deployment, I remember hearing the airbags deploy and seeing that happen from the corner of my eye as my attention was totally focused on what was happening outside. I did not fall on the airbag as i was firmly held in place by the seat belts upon impact and was still holding the steering wheel when the car came to a standstill. When I unbuckled myself and first got out of the car, the airbags were still inflated. I guess they then started deflating slowly. Later I noticed that both airbags have 2 holes on either side about 2 inches in diameter that look as if they were caused by piercing them with some hot object. Not sure about the details of how that happened. Maybe @Uday can help here.

Now the question of what car next arises, and my heart is not ready to accept anything other than a Cedia. I can't think of a worthy replacement yet although I am considering going for a pre-owned Civic, maybe. I wish we could get pre-owned Cedias as easily as we get Civics.

I had read in some posts that road tax can be claimed back if the vehicle goes for total loss but there was not much detail on this. Any inputs on this guys?

Its a no brainer - go for another cedia.
Or if you can wait it out for sometime, have enough in your wallet, and be a little lucky - maybe you can get the evo x!
Old 21st April 2010, 09:06   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Go for another Cedia! However, the Civic isnt a bad choice either! I've fallen head over heels in love with the Civic after driving it regularly over the past 2 months. Initially, I considered the Civic as a compromise because dad was dead against the Cedia, but now, I've changed my mind.

The only drawback of a civic is the price. But if you go in for a pre-owned one, you should be able to get a killer deal!
Old 21st April 2010, 10:29   #50
Senior - BHPian

@Maibaa, First, Thank God and Thank Cedia for you and your family having been saved from this collision.
Second, When I decided for Cedia 2007 model, same color as yours, this was main reason - safety. Metal is thicker, rally bread and above all, not Indianized car.
Third, One thing I learnt and always insist on - wear seat belts even the rear passengers on higways. It would have definitely avoided injuries to your mother.
Now, I have double respect to my baby Cedia, which is near her 3rd Birthday in coming October.
I think you can get the car repaired for a decent price. I have met with a similar accident with almost similar damages in Saudi Arabia to my Camry and they got it done. It might not be a total loss IMO.
Best wishes and prayers for speedy recovery of your mother.
Finally, next car - still you want to try Indianized cars mate? my suggestion - Another Cedia or New Lancer (though not sure when it comes).

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 21st April 2010 at 10:32.
Old 21st April 2010, 23:37   #51
lsp
BHPian

Maibaa
First of all, thank God that your family is safe with minor injuries and no serious threat to life. I am sure you will be happy with your earlier decision to buy a car equipped with Airbags. I pray that your mother recovers soon.

Secondly, I am still not convinced that the damage will take 7.5L to fix. Maybe the Cedia's pic is not presenting the extent of damage. Just my view. In any case, a true homage to the cedia which saved your family would be to replace it with another cedia.

Thirdly, I am interested to know what course does law take in this scenario. What is the liability of the Swift's insurance company towards you and the sumo? Sorry if this question sounds intrusive or you are not comfy answering it. I understand if you dont want to.
Old 22nd April 2010, 12:27   #52
BHPian

Thank god your family is safe. What a horrific accident to say the least. The Mysore-Bangalore expressway has become a killer road with the amount of traffic and mindless driving from some idiotic people.
Old 22nd April 2010, 15:44   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
Maibaa
First of all, thank God that your family is safe with minor injuries and no serious threat to life. I am sure you will be happy with your earlier decision to buy a car equipped with Airbags. I pray that your mother recovers soon.
Thank you Lalit and all well wishers of Team-BHP for their prayers.

Quote:
Secondly, I am still not convinced that the damage will take 7.5L to fix. Maybe the Cedia's pic is not presenting the extent of damage. Just my view. In any case, a true homage to the cedia which saved your family would be to replace it with another cedia.
What you say is true and even was surprised by the estimation given by the service center. I saw a rough list that they had prepared and it ran up to 2 pages. I plan to go there soon and get the breakup of the estimated costs. I will probably try to publish the same.

Quote:
Thirdly, I am interested to know what course does law take in this scenario. What is the liability of the Swift's insurance company towards you and the sumo? Sorry if this question sounds intrusive or you are not comfy answering it. I understand if you dont want to.
I am not too sure about further proceedings regarding the case. I believe there will be case proceedings against the Swift guys and probably their insurance will have to pay up the claims for all cars involved. The insurance companies of our cars will pay us directly and probably will then claim from the insurance company of the Swift.
Old 22nd April 2010, 17:51   #54

@Mx6. That's pretty interesting read about the airbag. Thanks.

Thanks Sir for the compliment.
well i am busy in work, will try to start a new thread on airbags.

@Maibaa Later I noticed that both airbags have 2 holes on either side about 2 inches in diameter that look as if they were caused by piercing them with some hot object. Not sure about the details of how that happened. Maybe @Uday can help here.

Well if you have found holes with some circumferential padded surface below(inside the Air-bag), those holes are designed to allow the gas to vent out of the bag.These hole are designed to release the gas to get the cushioning effect.
Old 28th April 2010, 12:23   #55
BHPian

Maibaa - You must thank the almighty first and then your car for saving you and your family. Glad to know about you all coming out fine but sad to hear about the car and the other complications involved.

Seeing the picture you posted 7.5 lakhs looks to me more than twice of what the bill should be. Let us know when you get the exact estimate.

Now that the Cedia did its job tremendously well you should buy another one. A good used Cedia would not burn a hole in your pocket and still continue to please you. IMO finding a used Cedia shouldn't be a major hassle. Might take about a month or two to find the right car but the time is surely worth it.

I think you should get through the legalities without any major problems although it might take some time considering our nation's outstanding legal system and the even better (useless) judges.

Do keep us updated.
Old 28th April 2010, 13:26   #56
Senior - BHPian

Good to hear that you and your family is fine Mai baa. I hope your mother recovers soon.

The cedia did the job just right for you. But unfortunately, the car will have to be totalled if the bills are to exceed the car's actual value. Do you mind sharing the list of items the service station has mentioned in the estimate.

Take care.
Old 28th April 2010, 15:53   #57
BHPian

Estimates

Guys, here is the estimate I got from the service center for the repairs. The insurance surveyor thinks the actual costs will be lesser by a lakh or two. Still I would have to pay from 2 to 2.5 lakhs if I decide to go for repairs.

I have asked him to give me the full IDV value if I decide to go for total loss. He is to yet get back to me on that.

Is there any depreciation amount deducted from the IDV value when we claim total loss? Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Collision, Airbags and Chaos - Cedia takes a hit-estimate-pg1.jpg  

Collision, Airbags and Chaos - Cedia takes a hit-estimate-pg2.jpg  

Collision, Airbags and Chaos - Cedia takes a hit-estimate-pg3.jpg  

Collision, Airbags and Chaos - Cedia takes a hit-estimate-pg4.jpg  

Old 28th April 2010, 16:05   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is there any depreciation amount deducted from the IDV value when we claim total loss? Any ideas?
You will find this thread Handy
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rance-faq.html

You are very lucky to have literally walked away from such a nasty crash. God Bless.
Old 28th April 2010, 16:18   #59
BHPian

No depreciation

Quote:
Guys, here is the estimate I got from the service center for the repairs. The insurance surveyor thinks the actual costs will be lesser by a lakh or two. Still I would have to pay from 2 to 2.5 lakhs if I decide to go for repairs.

I have asked him to give me the full IDV value if I decide to go for total loss. He is to yet get back to me on that.

Your IDV is not depreciated. However, there are other deductions. For example the garage that houses your damaged vehicle right now is running up a bill for having stored your vehicle.

One might want to get hold of an insurance inspector, drag him to the car, and ask him to put the numbers on paper ASAP!
Old 28th April 2010, 21:42   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Damn, they have given you the estimate of a new cedia, 8 lac repair cost plus taxes will make it over 9 lac rupees.

But as your surveyor said there will be few parts which may only seem to be damaged but are actually not. Heres my assumption to the cost.

The estimate of parts given to you is about 7.25lac. Lets say even if the actual cost comes out to be 5.5 lac and the labour more or less will remain same, with a few thousand here and there, the total bill may be around 6 lac plus taxes. Now, when you add 12.5% VAT on parts, 12.5% tax on painting material and 10% service tax on labour, the grand total will be some where around 7 lac rupees. Out of this 7 lac, if you have to pay say 2 lac, the insurance may end up paying only 5 lac or less of its pocket.

Now in your case, since its a frontal damage, I wont recommend getting the car repaired. Even if you get something around 5 lac for the damage, I would say take it. Please note, the insurance company will pay only for the current damages. If some part goes kapult later on, you will have to pay from your own pocket. You may very well see the prices of parts and I would say its better to let the car go rather than running for repairs later on. Moreover, the resale of the car will be further poor because of it being an accidental vehicle.

Overall, you will save paying 2lac from your pocket and driving an accidental car with peanuts resale price. Take 5 lac rupees from the insurance company, add 2 lac ruppees of your pocket and buy a year old cedia. You will have a new car (momo steering, climate control, sat nav.. any one) under warranty which you may extend later on.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 28th April 2010 at 21:48.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks