Team-BHP > Road Safety

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2010, 22:59   #61
BHPian

Also remember that most of the dealers do not stock all the spares of Cedia i.e. once they get your approval to repair, they have to open the car check all the parts that needs to be replaced and then place an order with HM.

HM may have to place order with Mitsu for some spares and it may take about 10-12 weeks to get those spares (i am assuming that most spares arrive from a foreign location)

I am not making assumptions out of thin air. Recently on a highway while overtaking a truck I had taken my cedia over a stone due to which petrol tank got damaged. It took me few mails, calls to HM and 4 weeks to get the replacement tank.

I am very concerned about time lines looking at the list of all spares. Please do check with your dealer.
Old 28th April 2010, 23:28   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
Guys, here is the estimate I got from the service center for the repairs. The insurance surveyor thinks the actual costs will be lesser by a lakh or two. Still I would have to pay from 2 to 2.5 lakhs if I decide to go for repairs.

I have asked him to give me the full IDV value if I decide to go for total loss. He is to yet get back to me on that.

Is there any depreciation amount deducted from the IDV value when we claim total loss? Any ideas?
Maibaa, just one advice! Get rid of this car! An apron change means it will go through re-welding. It will not be as strong as original & also the repaint will be only on the surface & the welded spots/inner surface will start to rust over a period of time (say 2 monsoons). After that the structural integrity is in BIG question.

I too crashed my zen at 90-95kmph (my foolishness though), right into stone slabbed compound resulting into a dead halt in the midnight on outskirts of the city. No one was injured except for a scratch here & there. None were wearing seatbelts, including me. We were plain lucky! Next morning we all attended a marriage party, after towing our car from the spot in the middle of the night, also by a tractor. I spent about 40k without AC works, & from the past 3 years of the accident now I am seeing the repaired/welded joints rusting. So get rid of her if the apron change is indeed necessary (though I do not see it absolutely necessary from the first glance at the pic), mine was totally crumpled so much that the A pillar had moved, roof out of shape & front wheel hitting the front door edge. Even with this damage, a garage in Shivajinagar offered to repair without any replacement of such with all fixations including AC.

Your cars is not that much of a damage, check whether it really needs an apron replacement. My quote for total fixations was 62k, as I see your quote the cost of spares compared to zen is like 4-10 times costlier.
Old 29th April 2010, 14:21   #63
BHPian

@tantragna - You are right. The re-welding requirement due to apron change was confirmed by the service advisor when I visited them yesterday. This fact has eliminated all chances of going for repairs and I have decided to let go of the car.

@Visu - Totally agree with you on the parts availability. I have had prior experience regarding spares availability for the cedia and I dont want to take a chance now when the required parts list is running into pages

@Gaurav - Thank you for doing the math on the costs involved. I agree its wiser to get myself another car. I would love to have a Cedia again. The problem is to find one in Bangalore!

@justROYal - I am waiting for the Insurance surveyor to call me today. I will know what amount they are offering and how close it is to IDV. Strangely the service guys told me that some depreciation will be calculated on the IDV amount. Have to see what the insurance guy has to say.
Old 29th April 2010, 14:49   #64
Senior - BHPian

Just saw this thread. Damn the accident looks bad, glad that you and your family made it through fine. I'm really impressed seeing the Cedia was'nt as badly mangled as the other cars.

Totally agree with the others that the car needs to be scrapped. Go in for a new car for the sheer peace of mind.
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:24   #65
BHPian

Any updates Maibaa on the insurance part?
Old 4th May 2010, 01:04   #66
BHPian

Insurance Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeonwheels View Post
Any updates Maibaa on the insurance part?
The insurance folks do not seem very keen on entertaining a total loss claim. They have come up with some repair cost estimates of their own of around 5.5 to 6 lakhs of which the insurance company's liability is about 3.5 to 3.75 Lakhs and my own liability will be around 2 to 2.5 Lakhs. These figures have been verbally communicated to me and they have not put down anything in writing. They say that they will consider total loss only if the insurance company's liability in the repair cost goes more than 75% of the vehicle IDV. Is this correct?

When I asked about going for total loss, they were asking me how much i was expecting. I obviously told them that I wanted the full IDV value and they say that it is difficult to get the full IDV value as their own liability is not more than 75% of IDV. I am under the impression that the total repair cost as estimated by the service center is to be considered when determining the 75% value of IDV.

I was asked to call up and talk to some manager at ICICI today who told me that he will inspect the vehicle himself and update me by end of day. I am yet to hear from him. Will call him in the morning and lets see what he has to say.
Old 4th May 2010, 09:02   #67
Team-BHP Support

You might need to consider going to the insurance ombudsman

also get an independent surveyor to assess damage for potential safety issues
Old 4th May 2010, 09:27   #68
Senior - BHPian

1. The dealer is taking you for a ride. Business has been slow at Mitsubishi lately and this makes for an excellent way to make money offloading spares that are lying around. Try an independent insurance qualified garage. even better if you want to retain the car, contact a modifier and see what can be done.

2. Definitely sell the car. The car will never be the same again after the huge impact.

3. The metal used by HM is of better quality as per what I read. But that article was for the lancer 1.5 and not Cedia.
Old 11th May 2010, 00:20   #69
BHPian

Hey Buddy,

Just read the thread and am happy to know that your family is safe. Please be careful on this stretch in future as it has become a accident zone from Bidadi to Srirangapatna. I have been seeing accidents every time I visit Mysore.

Just as an example regarding accident cost:

I had an accident on Jan 30 in my Swift this year and the estimate was 2L from the Mandovi Showroom. Finally, when all the works were completed and when I checked, the total cost came upto 84K and I had to cough up 16K.

Ofcourse, the bigger the car (Brand) the more the costs. But still, I feel the repairs should be completed within 5L Max. But again, I am not expert on this.

Also, please check with some known insurance agents/ service engineers and get the estimate. Definitely, when they open the car only then the right information will be out.

Regards,
Indy
Old 11th May 2010, 12:36   #70
BANNED

Quote:
ICICI
You my friend are in for a long drawn battle here. That name spells doom for people who take their insurance.

Best of Luck and get IRDA and our resident Insurance Guru on this case ASAP.
Old 11th May 2010, 22:49   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
You my friend are in for a long drawn battle here. That name spells doom for people who take their insurance.

Best of Luck and get IRDA and our resident Insurance Guru on this case ASAP.

i agree with spitfire icici specially the insurance is the worst insurance firm
i know a some people who are tring to get there money from them from ages with no luck.

hopefully in your case it goes through well. best of luck
Old 12th May 2010, 17:16   #72
BHPian

Thank you all for your advice. I have heard of stories related to ICICI but frankly speaking, I have had absolutely no hassles with them when I used to claim insurance for minor damages/scratch repairs/dent removal, etc to the tune of up to Rs 15000/- Hence from the past 2 years, I've been with ICICI and did not bother to change the insurance.

Now that there is a major claim, I am getting to see a noticeable delay by these people in handling my claim settlement. I have to call them up almost every day to check on the progress or to know how they are going to settle the claim.

The latest suggestion by them is to go for a "cash loss" settlement where I can auction/sell the car in its present condition and ICICI will give me some fixed amount. Alternatively they will auction the car and give me a lump sum. They are supposed to send me the details of what this amount will be but i haven't got anything from them yet.
Old 12th May 2010, 17:39   #73
BANNED

Quote:
The latest suggestion
Which option gives you the amount equal to the IDV?

Total loss vehicles do not get 100% IDV that is only if the vehicle is stolen.
Old 12th May 2010, 18:07   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Which option gives you the amount equal to the IDV?

Total loss vehicles do not get 100% IDV that is only if the vehicle is stolen.
I have not got the details on the amount they are planning to give me. If its a fixed amount plus the salvage value, I have to then decide if I want to sell the car myself to get a higher salvage amount or to let them auction it.

Hoping to get the details tomorrow.
Old 12th May 2010, 21:37   #75
BHPian

instead of getting into this with icici i would suggest you to get the car repaired and then sell it off i am sure this will at least its gonna be less painful option then dealing with icici.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed