Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2010, 22:43   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
The only option that I can think of to avoid collisions from rogue drivers such the lorry driver here, is - flash your lights ( even if the other vehicle is in a different lane) honk your horn repeatedly, and keep your thumb on the horn as you proceed to overtake him.
Leave the rest to almighty- after all our nation survives like this!!!
Talk about rogue drivers, we realised later that the truck was being driven by the cleaner and he did not even have a license!
Old 11th June 2010, 10:29   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I couldn't get this point. Which legal department is this? Some lawyers office is it?
Aargee, it's a company-leased-car. Legally the car is in my company's name. So I could take the advice of our legal team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
There is one more Palio accident thread going on with Hemant and his friends. Any pictures you'd like to post ?
I saw that post too and surprised to see that he has managed to take that many photos, that too of good quality.
I was in a very bad mood to take photos - even the next day.
But one of my friends in Krishnagiri brought a professional photographer and they clicked some snaps when we were in the hospital. Thought it would be required for insurance claims.
But we forgot to collect the photos and when I checked later we couldn't trace that photographer - he had quit the job and shifted somewhere else.
Old 11th June 2010, 18:52   #48
Senior - BHPian

A similar incident happened with me while I was trying to overtake an auto rickshaw in my 2 wheeler at a speed of 30 kmph. Suddenly, from nowhere a stray dog jumped towards me. It was too late for any reactions and the dog had hit my bike near the front forks. I fell down, I escaped with a few bruises on my hands. Surprisingly, while I was lying on the road with my bike, the dog marched out smiling

Spike
Old 11th June 2010, 19:23   #49
Senior - BHPian

sorry to hear about this nathan. Thankfully all are fine. The importance of seatbelts and childseats cannot be ignored with this thread reinforcing it even further.

Which is that palio accident thread that you are all talking about?
Old 11th June 2010, 19:34   #50
BHPian

I can only imagine the traumatic experience. I don't see any progress until driver discipline become second nature to the drivers. Thanks to god for everything turning out reasonably ok.
Old 11th June 2010, 19:45   #51
BHPian

Congratulations for getting out safely ch.nathan. Your account is an eye opener for me. Right away I vow to never overtake at high speeds. I also promise myself not to attain high speed unless I clearly see absolutely open straight road ahead. Gosh I am getting the shudders just thinking of the umpteen times I just missed hitting something or somebody.

Now coming to this two wheeler guy. He may not have been speeding on the left of the Santro. He must have just decided to dart off from the left side of the road, like how pedestrians cross, thinking of just missing the Santro; but got into your car. Clearly, the two wheeler driver was at fault. Moreover, he had no license to drive so you have nothing to worry about.

Now about driving licence and driving schools. Recently, I was putting my wife through a driving school and was unpleasantly surprised at the way they teach their students. All I can say is people can collect their DLs but they have no idea about safe driving. It would be a great idea if we all here on this forum give accounts of our bad experiences with road accidents with a bit of analysis so that we can learn of more ways in which accidents can happen.
Old 11th June 2010, 20:50   #52
BHPian

@ch.nathan thank God that you and your family got out clean out of this horrible accident, and I would say you handled it very well, the descision to stay at the accident spot and help the old man was the best thing you did

My question to all T-Bhpians and guys with loads of highway experience is -- As per the first pic posted by ch.nathan, the blind spot he mentioned is unavoidable on most highways in India. On any 3 lane highway when you are on the fast lane and overtaking a car on the middle lane, you autmatically have a blind spot on the left most lane (its a whole different story when you are on the middle lane and start overtaking). What is the best possible way to avoid such a blind spot? One option as mentioned by @MX6 is to always be on the left most lane, which I believe is not possible all the time. Hoping that the middle lane guy would alert you is not really practical either. Just trying to learn some highway driving etiquette here.
Old 11th June 2010, 20:59   #53
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear of the tragic accident. Good to know that you and your family came out safe.

Incidents like these make me think twice on doing highway drives - even though I love doing them.
Old 11th June 2010, 23:14   #54
BHPian

Sometimes you just cannot foresee nor avoid incidents like this.
It is really a shame that because of other peoples mistakes we must suffer the consequences.
Could someone please post a link to a thread that gives advice on safe highway driving so that newbies like myself can avoid incidents like this in the future.
Am glad to hear that you and your family are safe, ch.nathan
Old 12th June 2010, 07:40   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Which is that palio accident thread that you are all talking about?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...05-2010-a.html
Old 12th June 2010, 08:25   #56

Hi..sumeet007

I was driving my swift last week similar incident happened to me but i luckily controlled my vehicle and escaped from accident with a minor scratches to my car...I was driving my car in 6RPM on the fourth gear and the car was about to touch 165kmph and all of a sudden my friend shouted that a truck is crossing the road and i could not able to see anything because of oncoming light from opposite line and i applied the brakes and the car started to come to 80 kmph and i got some pass through from behind the truck i am lucky that the i was in turn and and luckily got enough space to escape..i will update the photos in evening just check..
Old 12th June 2010, 08:31   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster0660 View Post
Hi..sumeet007

I was driving my swift last week similar incident happened to me but i luckily controlled my vehicle and escaped from accident with a minor scratches to my car...I was driving my car in 6RPM on the fourth gear and the car was about to touch 165kmph and all of a sudden my friend shouted that a truck is crossing the road and i could not able to see anything because of oncoming light from opposite line and i applied the brakes and the car started to come to 80 kmph and i got some pass through from behind the truck i am lucky that the i was in turn and and luckily got enough space to escape..i will update the photos in evening just check..
Did you mean you hit 165kmph during night driving on our highway? If yes, then i dont beileve you
Old 12th June 2010, 12:41   #58
BHPian

After reading your posts I just remembered the accident which I was involved in. I used to drive the 1st generation Santro during that time and on the way back from Daman there was this Rickshaw with arnd 8 people including the driver (3 in front and 5 behind) came into the middle of the road from the construction site on the left and rammed hard into my car.
The rickshaw was flown into the air and after taking 3 rounds landed next to a truck which was parked on the road.
I was really lucky that everyone was saved with very minor injuries but the way the relatives were behaving as if they would kill us and surprisingly when the driver came was someone else as the original driver was not of legal age
That was a very scary experience altogether and as per the police it is always the fault of the bigger car. Which is very very wrong on their part. Luckily the case was settled out of court
Old 12th June 2010, 16:01   #59
BHPian

These situations especially around villages can get pretty dangerous.

Those villagers cannot ride for nuts. and ever so often they create a accident and then shot out to the other villagers and it ends in some real violence.

Cutting across a highway is shear stupidity and should be punished.
My blood boils at these incidents and em tempted to just flatten them if them cut across. But one must bear in mind these are really really illiterate people who have no sense - no road sense and no common sense
Old 12th June 2010, 16:24   #60
Team-BHP Support

I was once in the same spot as the Santro in the OP.

NH-5 driving around a 100+ kmph, when I spotted a pulsar with 2 fools.
There was a bus in the third lane, something told me the fools will cut without checking, so I took my foot of the accelerator and was ready for braking if needed. Also flashed my brake lights praying that someone behind me sees that a situation is developing.

There was a safari in the high speed lane.

This fool cuts across into my lane. I brake but I am already prepared.
But I still cause the tires to squeal a bit.

The idiot continues and gets into the high speed lane. The Safari brakes hard.
Luckily no contact.

The fool did not even realize that we saved him.
He went on to die another day.

There is not much the Santro guy could have done to alert the OP.
I don't think switching on the hazard lights will help.
Or the more daring roll down the window and use hand signal.
Sorry but opening Windows at a 100kmph and then putting the hand outside is not exactly easy. At least for me.

The max that can be done is flashing the brake lights.
But even that is only possible if you feel that something is about to happen.

Most Viewed