Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2010, 10:18   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
but god forbid if you get into any accident in future, this guilty-plea can be used against you.
May be I am just being paranoid.
SDP,
What are the chances of this happening? And how?
Is there some system in our judiciary which keeps the accident history / records somewhere? Or some point-system based on the DL?
Old 14th June 2010, 10:30   #77
BHPian

For the member who bragged that he drives at 150+ kmph at night, my earnest advice to you is to please desist at once.

What you are doing is suicidal and extremely dangerous; think of your family back home and of the other innocent people who might have the bad luck to be on the same road as you.

Even 100kmph is too fast for our roads; you never know when there will be a pothole or obstruction or some other problem. At night it'll be dangerous enough in the dark with poor visibility and everyone driving on main beam. To drive at high speeds will be just lethal.

You have been lucky so far; don't push it.
Old 14th June 2010, 11:01   #78
BHPian

Pacifica, +1 to that. And more shocking to see that his profile says Senior-BHPian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster0660 View Post
I was driving my car in 6RPM on the fourth gear and the car was about to touch 165kmph
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Did you mean you hit 165kmph during night driving on our highway? If yes, then i dont beileve you

BTW, rooster, could you please let me know your regular routes of driving in such a speed. So that I will avoid those routes when I come to Vellore next time.

Because, anyday, if given a choice, I would prefer a natural death than dying in an accident.

Last edited by ch.nathan : 14th June 2010 at 11:05.
Old 14th June 2010, 11:47   #79
BANNED

On that same highway, I maintain 80-90 kmph consistently.

Me and my friend left around the same time from Pallakad and he was driving consistently in 100-120 kmph.

He reached 10 mins before me.

We both must have entered our houses at the sametime. His building does not have a lift mine does.
Old 14th June 2010, 11:51   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I disagree to this. There are 3 lanes. The two wheeler guy tries moving ahead of the santro guy in a highway. Had I been in the santro guy's place I'd have done one of the two.
1. Honk like mad and show who's boss had I been a pathetic slob, unwittingly alarming the vehicles behind me as to what's eating me. Unfortunately, I'm not a pathetic slob.
2. Slowdown and immediately hand signal people behind or use my hazard lights (that's the real use for them and not to flash like moron taxi drivers of mumbai pune e-way who use them in every tunnel). It's for the other drivers to catch the hazard lights or my hand signals to proceed cautiously. Beyond that if it's fraction of a second and the accident does happen, it's fate. But trust me, I'd have done this to warn others of impending danger. Averting accidents doesn't only mean slamming your brakes hard and swerving out. It also means you indicate with presence of mind to people behind so that you don't get rear-ended.
On the sivaji highway when we were proceeding at 65 kmph on way back from office, the innova in front put his hazard lights and hit the brake hard. I could catch it in time and slowed down and avoided hitting him by inches. I did the same so that I don't get rear ended. It was luck, gods grace and a lot of practice that saved us that day.
Reason for his abrupt stop? A two wheeler female rear ended a swift on that road and the innova had to stop so that he doesn't kill her. We were aghast to see that oblivious to what's happening around, the lady was screaming at the poor swift guy for a mistake that was literally hers, right in the middle of the road. I still wonder what made a lady in a two wheeler get in between a swift and an innova dangerously at above 60 kph without a helmet at 7:30 pm on a 4 lane highway on the right lane.
Had the innova guy not warned me and me the vehicle behind, there would have been a 10 car pile up.
Just because you have multiple lanes, it doesn't mean that the vehicle in front is absolved of signalling us to overtake or not, especially with so much stray traffic on our highways.
+1 to that brother,

[FONT=Tms Rmn]I have not had such instances up north but around down south especially the NH route from krishnagiri and beyond its a common sight to see the villagers criss cross across the road with no consideration to the on coming traffic. Not trying to retrospect but its always safe to maintain speeds of 55 - 60 untill the village stretch is crossed and though its against ethics of driving - HONK LIKE CRAZY and flash lamps just in case you sense a moron rider / driver trying to cross the white lane marker.
[/FONT]
@Nathan - god has blessed you with lot of courage. Its a lesson learnt for safer driving though it was not your fault IMO.
Old 14th June 2010, 12:06   #81
Senior - BHPian

Nathan, that was a bad experience but am happy you guys are safe!

Sad part is you get involved in an accident because of the morons riding sense and later get to the state of getting beaten up for his mistake, this has become common scenario! which is very scary!

Have noticed around krishnagiri you find many morons on "TVS" riding carelessly!
Old 14th June 2010, 12:07   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostel View Post
Your account is an eye opener for me. Right away I vow to never overtake at high speeds. I also promise myself not to attain high speed unless I clearly see absolutely open straight road ahead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The importance of seatbelts and childseats cannot be ignored with this thread reinforcing it even further.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Iam happy that I went through the complete thread which definitely educated lots of things....esp slow the average speeds while covering villages (even if the roads are empty), baby seats.
That's wonderful. I am happy that I have contributed my two cents in spreading the awareness on safe driving.
PURPOSE of opening this thread is SOLVED. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
BTW, was it happened in Bargur bye-pass? If yes, that should be NH-4 right?
The spot is actually on NH-46. Sorry for the wrong titling.
I can now request for a correction. But I feel the content is more important than just the number. What say?

Last edited by ch.nathan : 14th June 2010 at 12:10.
Old 14th June 2010, 12:19   #83
Senior - BHPian

Really sad to get involved in accidents because every one point the finger to the car guy when the accident party is of a two wheeler or so.

Somewhere you said that (you learned from the cop) the guy neither have a Licence nor Insurance coverage ! Did you inform this to the court through your advocate?
A man who has no right to drive any kind of vehicle without a valid Licence. And your Insurance company may also get a point to prove when the other person /vehicle do not covered under any insurance ?
Old 14th June 2010, 13:05   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
A man who has no right to drive any kind of vehicle without a valid Licence. And your Insurance company may also get a point to prove when the other person /vehicle do not covered under any insurance ?
Even I was thinking the same.

Also, was the rider wearing a helmet? A rider without valid DL/paperwork and not obeying the traffic regulations does not have a strong case going for him.

AFAIK two wheelers are not allowed on many expressways. So the road Mr.Nathan that you were traveling on, was it an Expressway? And are two wheelers allowed to use the same?
Old 14th June 2010, 13:15   #85
BHPian

Just happened to see this thread today.

A terrifying incident Nathan, glad you and family is safe. You have handled the situation very well given the crisis and the magnitude of the problem.

Being a regular traveller on the Chennai - Blr highway, my 2 cents:
  1. the three lanes are put only in the village areas, so whenever you see a three lane road, always stick to the middle lane. You never know when a 2 wheeler, auto, bus or dogs, cows could jump in from nowhere.
  2. The tall plants (arali) put up in the medians invariably create poor visibility, and its very dangerous in turnings. You cannot see a person waiting until the last moment, so you take care here.
  3. The NH has also put up orange lights that keeps blinking in certain village or intersections, take care here.
  4. The toll receipts might have the emergency numbers of police, ambulance printed, keep it handy though you would have purchased a one way ticket.
My doubts to Nathan:

What has really happened at the police station, did you not know that the two wheeler guy did not have any license because the first thing police would have asked is the license right?
Did you not employ a lawyer to fight the case, maybe you should do it as you never know but this could impact in future.
Please ensure that the case is closed amicably in whatever way, its your problem anydays and the earlier its resolved its better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
two wheelers are not allowed on many expressways. So the road Mr.Nathan that you were traveling on, was it an Expressway?
the accident has happened on the chennai -blr highway and everything that moves, can be moved are seen in this road.

Last edited by ikoneer : 14th June 2010 at 13:18.
Old 14th June 2010, 13:33   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Somewhere you said that (you learned from the cop) the guy neither have a Licence nor Insurance coverage ! Did you inform this to the court through your advocate?
I was not at all in a mood to argue in the court. Just wanted to get off there and that situation.
All I had to pay was Rs.3000 as fine which is not worth of hassles like taking leaves, travelling to Krishnagiri for umpteen number of adjournments, dealing with an advocate, etc. etc.
It may sound like a typical indian middle-class mentality but atleast I don't have these hassles.

Quote:
Also, was the rider wearing a helmet?
Of course NOT. Easy guess, isn't it?

Quote:
AFAIK two wheelers are not allowed on many expressways. So the road Mr.Nathan that you were traveling on, was it an Expressway? And are two wheelers allowed to use the same?
AFAIK Chennai-Bangalore GQ has no such rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
Please ensure that the case is closed amicably in whatever way, its your problem anydays and the earlier its resolved its better.
The accident case was closed two months after the accident when I paid a fine of Rs.3000/-.
Only the 3rd party claim case is going on now which is handled by my insurance company and I have no idea what it's status is now!
Old 14th June 2010, 13:50   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
I was not at all in a mood to argue in the court. Just wanted to get off there and that situation.
All I had to pay was Rs.3000 as fine which is not worth of hassles like taking leaves, travelling to Krishnagiri for umpteen number of adjournments, dealing with an advocate, etc. etc.
It may sound like a typical indian middle-class mentality but atleast I don't have these hassles.
No, it does not sound like that. In fact, most of us would had done the same. If a few thousand bucks can save all that stress and disturbance in daily life, I guess its wise to pay and get rid of the matter. Or maybe I feel so because I belong to a middle class family too.

Quote:
Of course NOT. Easy guess, isn't it?
AFAIK Chennai-Bangalore GQ has no such rule.

Yeah, but at least the authorities should had noticed the lack of DL, helmet, etc.

Quote:
Only the 3rd party claim case is going on now which is handled by my insurance company and I have no idea what it's status is now!

They'll have a good case going for them as it was the bike rider that was on the wrong side of law by not adhering to rules and regulations.

Anyways, am glad that your hassles are over.

Regards.
Old 14th June 2010, 15:15   #88
BHPian

I am sorry about what u went through, it clearly should be avoided at any cost.
a similar thing happened to me, but i killed the dog (i meant the animal).
the worst thing is even to this day i dread that moment, and it haunts me everytime I drive.
I definitely is not a good feeling.
Old 14th June 2010, 21:54   #89
BHPian

Reminds me of a similar accident I had on the same highway a couple of years back. I was overtaking a bus that had stopped to pick up passengers and all of a sudden a 2 wheeler came out of the median from my right. I swerved at 90kph to avoid him and then had to trun the other direction to avoid the bus. I ended up hitting the median and I am not kidding the car literally flew into the bus. My right wheel broke on the impact and the left fender was totaled. Nothing happened to the bus or the 2 wheeler. They both left after making comments about me over speeding.

The worst part was that Sundaram Motors refused to send a breakdown crew since it was a Saturday and they were working half day. Luckily nothing happened to the suspension, so I changed the wheel, sat by the road for half an hour and then went back home.
Old 15th June 2010, 02:18   #90
BHPian

Sorry to hear about all these accidents and I am happy that all are safe including me to write and read all these stuffs ..Thanks to God !!! I was totally a social animal before my accident. I never roared using my horn while overtaking (some soft reminders that I am coming..).Tried to use always dim & bright while overtaking the vehicles during night But after my accident near Coimbatore / Salem high way, I kept my useless social attitude aside and started roaring using my horns even if I want to over take a Luna or a truck either in city or in highways during day or night .. I am sure what I am doing is not right but I am decided to continue since I do not have control over other vehicles /drivers .. I am just thinking about safety of my family as well as mine and of course the life of the idiots who takes turns without signals.. who even drive / ride on the wrong direction in an highway .. I really do not want to test the momentum of 2000 Kg machine running at 100 KM speed again since it can cause disaster in life .
I saw another fool a week back crossing the Bangalore Chennai high way from service road and trying for a U turn without indicators .. with a totally dark closed tinted windows ..( probably AC / music on ) I was anticipating..so my vehicle did not made the cute hatch back zen estilo to fly !!!!
In another instance a month and half back I was trying to remind a person who was crossing the road 300-400 meters away from my vehicle that I am coming .. He did not like my horn and he just started standing on the middle of the road showing twisted palm to me in anger .. This is happened in salem -banglore highway !!!
Again it is all luck we are returning our home very safely.!!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks