Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2010, 11:27   #91
Senior - BHPian

Lots of learning from this thread.

I frequently drive on NH7 from Bangalore to Trivandrum. Most of the tyre marks (the ones that indicate screeching to halt) that I see are on the right lane. At times, one of the tyre marks disappear into the divider while the other tyre mark takes a sharp left turn. Obviously the front right tyre has gone over the divider. Depending on the speed, the vehicle might have toppled.

These tyre marks serve as an indicator to the traffic pattern/history of the stretch. Hopefully these will help us avoid being in similar incident.

Agree with the predominant view expressed to avoid the right most lane. The reaction time can be very less on right lane while other lanes provide better scan time. Safer evasive actions can be taken on the other lanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
We both must have entered our houses at the sametime. His building does not have a lift mine does.
It is that (materialistic) urge to get ahead, at least momentarily.
Old 15th June 2010, 11:58   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
it's fully the responsibility of the insurance company and I don't have to go to court.
Went through all most, the entire thread today. Yes this is true you don't have to go to court in case the case is in court and you have a legal insurance in place. Secondly, you will be surprised to know, court will tell your insurance company to make the payment under TP even if the other party will not have a valid TP insurance in place.
Old 15th June 2010, 12:21   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post

Finally, if you are in right most lane and a car is fast approaching you, do not panic (even if you are honked at) and absolutely do not change directions quickly to get in middle lane. Stick to your speed and let the faster car charge past by using the middle lane for overtaking. Do not bother yourself if your doing decent speeds for the right most lane and a faster car wants to overtake you just because its capable of cruising at a higher speed.

Most Important: Never race.
In a three lane scenario, the right most lane is for overtaking. The middle lane is for passenger cars and the left most lane for heavier vehicles such as buses and trucks.

Why should a cruising car be on the right most lane?

Regards
Old 15th June 2010, 13:36   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
In a three lane scenario, the right most lane is for overtaking. The middle lane is for passenger cars and the left most lane for heavier vehicles such as buses and trucks.

Why should a cruising car be on the right most lane?

Regards

The last time I saw a truck in left most lane, it was broken down!

Otherwise I usually see scooters/bikes/bicycles from nearby rural area or lorries transporting heavy machinery using the left most lane.

On most of the three lane roads, its the middle lane that has most of the heavy traffic. Inter-state buses, trucks and other things (with speeds around 50-60 kmph). Cruising in the middle lane does not make sense then, every now and then you'll have to move to the right lane for overtaking.

Hence, its makes much more sense cruising in right most lane when doing speeds upwards of 80 kmph.
Old 15th June 2010, 13:47   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
Perfectly IDEAL scenario. Now if this is followed in India - sigh!!!
Let's come back to reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
The last time I saw a truck in left most lane, it was broken down!

Otherwise I usually see scooters/bikes/bicycles from nearby rural area or lorries transporting heavy machinery using the left most lane.

On most of the three lane roads, its the middle lane that has most of the heavy traffic. Inter-state buses, trucks and other things (with speeds around 50-60 kmph). Cruising in the middle lane does not make sense then, every now and then you'll have to move to the right lane for overtaking.

Hence, its makes much more sense cruising in right most lane when doing speeds upwards of 80 kmph.
Appears to be the best available option for us.
But one has to be extra-vigilant on the creatures (read human beings and animals) which may appear from the median all of a sudden.
Old 15th June 2010, 14:14   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
There is not much the Santro guy could have done to alert the OP.
I don't think switching on the hazard lights will help.
Or the more daring roll down the window and use hand signal.
Sorry but opening Windows at a 100kmph and then putting the hand outside is not exactly easy. At least for me.

The max that can be done is flashing the brake lights.
But even that is only possible if you feel that something is about to happen.
I have been in situations similar to the Santro here. I feel the best thing to do is flash the right indicator. The poor fellow behind you might panic and curse you, but would at least slow down thinking you'll cut to his lane any time.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 15th June 2010 at 14:17.
Old 15th June 2010, 15:53   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
I have been in situations similar to the Santro here. I feel the best thing to do is flash the right indicator. The poor fellow behind you might panic and curse you, but would at least slow down thinking you'll cut to his lane any time.
Good logic there but what bugs me is that the right indicator light can be mistaken for indication of safe overtake to the car behind you.

Isn't it common practice to flash the right indicator before allowing the car to pass you safely?
Old 15th June 2010, 18:13   #98
Senior - BHPian

yeah yeah, flashing the indicator is to mean to ask the vehicle behind to overtake. But only if you are in mild-mannered driving. Aggressive behavior(see the tailpipe for any indication of a floored throttle) and the right indicator is for lane change.
At 100 kmph one needs to have a panoramic view point of what is happening on the road and anticipate the worst to happen- predicting that the two wheeler is sure to cut you(perpendicular!) and drive. Well to say things is always easy.
I feel the need for a separate thread on 'practical indian driving'.
Old 15th June 2010, 19:47   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
J

Being a regular traveller on the Chennai - Blr highway, my 2 cents:
  1. the three lanes are put only in the village areas, so whenever you see a three lane road, always stick to the middle lane. You never know when a 2 wheeler, auto, bus or dogs, cows could jump in from nowhere.
  2. The tall plants (arali) put up in the medians invariably create poor visibility, and its very dangerous in turnings. You cannot see a person waiting until the last moment, so you take care here.
  3. The NH has also put up orange lights that keeps blinking in certain village or intersections, take care here.
  4. The toll receipts might have the emergency numbers of police, ambulance printed, keep it handy though you would have purchased a one way ticket.
Those are really useful tips. Thank You. On point 2, I have been into that position before...mostly doing speeds bit high over 100 kmph (its generally empty during afternoons) you see guys standing on the divider with front wheel of their cycles poked out on fast lane & you get an unusual heavy beat. My twin horn helps me out to scare them.

Once you come across that, for next couple of kms we slow down for every steep turns..but the pace will pick up automatically before we realize . These threads are really eye openers at least reminds us when we do high speeds to slow down (to reasonable speeds to ones capability)

Last edited by Surprise : 15th June 2010 at 19:50.
Old 15th June 2010, 21:01   #100
BHPian

I went through this thread today. Sorry to hear about the accident @nathan.
Glad to know that you and your family are safe.
Could you please update us about the vehicle repair procedure.

Reagrds.
Old 15th June 2010, 21:05   #101
RGK
Senior - BHPian

All - do not mistake me first.
I have driven is NH's now and also when there are 2 lanes only. Let me sum up some of my observations.
-In india 120 Crore people DO NOT know the entire traffic rules and regulations including the PM, President to a village guy. This is infinity % sure. We never learnt anything and do not care to learn.
-In india getting license is VERY VERY easy and driving is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT - whereas in abroad, this is totally vice versa - Getting license is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT and driving is absolutely easy.
-Once I know to move the vehicle (2 & 4 wheelers) without switching off and know to put all 5 gears - i am a driver - just it is question of time I take to streets, roads & highways - what a pathetic system we have.
-when seen parked cars outside india, it will dead straight among all owners - the reason they study well.
-In your case it is 100% blind spot for you and santro cannot signal you as he is in a different lane altogether. It is unfortunate for you and by gods grace all are ok - great news.
-I have interacted with Project Directors of NHAI (and written many letters to them) in explaining the safety of villagers to give them underground access by constructing box type underpass in all villages in all highways. They said mainly due to land acquistion and cost this is not feasible across all village locations.
-Access controlled highways are extremely costly factor to implement in all places.
-Now a days all cars easily touch 100 and since it looks slow from inside (due to ac) drivers tend to go more.
-We have to learn learn, teach teach all public about road safety.
- I sent many letters to traffic departments to validate all licenses of the public in more strict manner - eye, reflex tests etc. I think this would happen when UID comes for all public.
-In lanes (even though marked) slower vehicles should go in left lanes and the speeder ones on the right - is anybody following this
- I enquired some of the villages about the expansion - they say to cross this road, i have to go to 1 or 2 km to take a U turn - what to do so we use short cuts and go in opposite direction.
- In the busiest NH45 during nights - all buses come in opposite direction - for free meals - extremely dangerous - major accidents have happened - Can anyone control this. This is quite common in NH49 also.
- I saw a huge fight in all tolls when driving on NH45 during Sankranti vacation. No body stopped correctly behind and started to cut inside - all seems to be educated and looked decent and one lorry scratching a Swift dzire.
- Unless and until we learn and adapt discipline and patience and follow it - more and more accidents are expected to happen in the coming years which is extremely sad.
- we have to follow the US system on roads as they took the concept of Autoban and implemented in a better manner.
- On the other hand Villagers life is also pathetic as they have to cross day in day out without much safety.
-Lawyers get huge commission on these insurance money and give a share to the real patient - which is common in all full or third party claims
- Kudos to your courage of handling the crisis at that time.

Last edited by RGK : 15th June 2010 at 21:08.
Old 16th June 2010, 10:42   #102
BHPian

Part 4: Damage Repair (Vehicle):

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
Could you please update us about the vehicle repair procedure.
Didn't want to disturb the flow of thoughts from fellow BHPians.
The thread is going-on very informative on safe driving techniques.

Anyways, here you go.

Part 4: Vehicle Damage Repair:

After RTO's inspection, I drove the car from Krishnagiri straight to the Service station in Bangalore.
Bought a big sunglass from a roadside shop to avoid glass-pieces from the windshield flying onto my eye.

(When I think of it now, I wonder why I did that – driving 70 kms on highway with broken windshield – )

Estimate was Rs.40k. Submitted insurance claim application with FIR copy, etc.
Parts damaged:
  • Bonnet
  • Front windshield
  • Left fender
  • Front bumper
  • Front left headlight
  • Front left foglamp
  • Front grille
  • Front numberplate
  • Right ORVM (This is what I still don't understand how. The impact was only on the front left side of the car. Maybe the hand-work of one of the villagers)
The car rested in the service station for six weeks due to non-availability of spares – bonnet and windshield to be precise.
I escalated to the highest levels in the dealer’s organization, wrote to FIAT on their website – nothing helped.

(Thanks to FIAT for the great A.S.S. – Don’t you understand why those wonderful cars you make are not selling as Maruti's and Hyundai's?)

Last edited by ch.nathan : 16th June 2010 at 10:43.
Old 16th June 2010, 14:50   #103
BHPian

@nathan: Very sorry to hear about your accident. I can just imagine the high tension and pressure one experiences during such situations (especially with a large crowd against you). Anyway, it's good to hear that all involved in the accident are all right. And thank you very much for sharing this personal experience. I can see its been an eye - opener for many people in the forum including me.

Fortunately for me I have never faced any such situation other than a minor accident on my bike. There were no injuries to either party so we could disperse quickly.

Can someone advice on how best to tackle such situations? Maybe a point-wise guide will be very helpful.

I have a few questions in particular in a case where a bigger vehicle hits a smaller vehicle in our country (i am mentioning this because the crowd sympathy is always with the smaller guy):

1. Incase of serious injury to any party, what should be done? I know we should take them to the nearest hospital but can we take them in our vehicle? I have heard that you are not supposed to move your vehicle from an accident spot untill the cops come and register a case.

2. What is our role in the hospital? If it is a private hospital then very often they ask you to pay upfront depending on the injury. Are there any specific rules for hospitals treating accident cases?

3. Who should register the complaint and is it a must?

4. Do you have to appear in court or is there any possibility of settling this outside?
Old 16th June 2010, 15:53   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
The car rested in the service station for six weeks due to non-availability of spares – bonnet and windshield to be precise.
I escalated to the highest levels in the dealer’s organization, wrote to FIAT on their website – nothing helped.

(Thanks to FIAT for the great A.S.S. – Don’t you understand why those wonderful cars you make are not selling as Maruti's and Hyundai's?)
i too am an unfortunate owner of the great palio. I love the car at all times except when at the service centre.

FIAT is making more money selling their engines than cars. So all efforts are going in making good engines and not in maintaining service satisfaction.

I have been hunting around for the rear left brake light assembly and the knob used to recline the drivers seat. Somehow no one seems to have it in stock
Old 16th June 2010, 15:56   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
1. Incase of serious injury to any party, what should be done? I know we should take them to the nearest hospital but can we take them in our vehicle? I have heard that you are not supposed to move your vehicle from an accident spot untill the cops come and register a case.
I did shift the victim in my own car. It was not at all raised as an issue - neither by the Police nor by the Insurance Co.

Quote:
2. What is our role in the hospital? If it is a private hospital then very often they ask you to pay upfront depending on the injury. Are there any specific rules for hospitals treating accident cases?
It's always better to go to Govt hospital.
Private hospitals - I am not sure. Comments invited.

Quote:
3. Who should register the complaint and is it a must?
4. Do you have to appear in court or is there any possibility of settling this outside?
Poilce will register the case if there is injury to people.
Settling outside is a possibility if there is no personnel injury. May be very complicated. Better to keep things legal as far as possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks