Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2010, 17:05   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Nowadays I feel scared to overtake even on flyovers.
Absolutely justified. I had another chilling moment just two weeks back on NH-7 near Salem.
Scenario: Was driving on NH-7 near Salem. Came across a flyover which had turn. At the point of turn, a two-wheeler appears, coming in the opposite direction. He was not wearing helmet, was fast. If I had not reacted at the right moment, he would have landed in the right lane - but from the impact of my car.

Quote:
I'd rather do the same distance in 25% more time, but live to do it day after day.
Somewhere in Team-BHP I read a quote from a fellow BHPian which goes like this :
"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive".
I am already thinking of having this statement as my signature.
Old 18th June 2010, 18:10   #122
BHPian

Hi Nathan, this piece of your experience is truly inspirational. I am quite sure all of us in this forum would take up driving more cautiously, irrespective of how we have been driving till date.

I fail to understand how people jump to conclusion without even analysing the true picture of the incident. Had you hit a any heavy vehicle instead of that 2 wheeler, then you would have walked free from legal hasles and they would be at fault (Im ignoring the physical damage part!)... Seems hard to digest that part; though true.

One thing that is to be religiously followed: Every highway driver needs to read such posts to behave with full maturity on road (especially on highways); whether you are the victim in the 2 wheeler or the soon-to-be victim in the 4 wheeler!!
Old 18th June 2010, 18:21   #123
Senior - BHPian

If I am going to be very cautious in my driving, it alone may not save unless the other road users also take care and drive safely. Mostly, I have seen that some one become the victim because of the other man's fault (the same way @ch.nathan had it with the biker).
So, God only save us when we are on the wheel!
Old 18th June 2010, 23:56   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Somewhere in Team-BHP I read a quote from a fellow BHPian which goes like this :
"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive".
I am already thinking of having this statement as my signature.
I never came across this quote before on Team-BHP, but I would say that's exactly how I feel every day I drive in our beautiful country.

The KA government needs to get their act together rather than just increase the road tax year after year. In Bombay, autos are not allowed inside the city -- In Bangalore, the mopeds, bullock carts, cows, etc. should be restricted on the main roads of the inner district and highways by some authority who has scientific knowledge of these things -- The mopeds (M80, etc.) just don't have enough power, so the driver has to speeden up to get anywhere. My domestic help banged into a car just getting off my house.

There should also be strict bus lanes (BRT - Bus Rapid Transit), car lanes & footpaths where the three don't mix.

I am currently battling in Koramangala to at least get the footpath restored. Right now, the foot path is encroached by the shops and people, cows & buffaloes walk on the road, making it perilous for everyone.

By the way, it would be nice to have a box construction for the villagers, but those things cost money. In this case a simple stop light would have helped avoid this accident. Why can't the KA govt. put one solitary light there? That would have helped both ch.nathan and the villagers who chose that exact moment to cross the highway.
Old 19th June 2010, 15:12   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishF1 View Post
I fail to understand how people jump to conclusion without even analysing the true picture of the incident. Had you hit a any heavy vehicle instead of that 2 wheeler, then you would have walked free from legal hasles and they would be at fault (Im ignoring the physical damage part!)... Seems hard to digest that part; though true.
The bigger vehicle is always at fault in the eyes of the bystander. This always happens in our country. I recently got the front seat in a city bus and was amazed at how much patience the bus driver had! The poor chap had to dodge bikes, cars, people; all jumping right in front of him and this he does the whole day! I get mad when a single person jumps in front of my vehicle and this guy manages it day in and day out. But the moment he hits someone, the fingers are pointed straight at the poor driver.

The same could be for many truckers too who are caught unaware by other speeding vehicles while on the highway. But when we see an accident involving a car and a truck, our sympathy always goes to the car driver.

On the lighter side: So its always better to be in the smaller vehicle while in an accident
Old 21st June 2010, 10:23   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
I never came across this quote before on Team-BHP

Here it is:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...tml#post476326

Damn good line, isn't it?
Old 21st June 2010, 10:51   #127
Senior - BHPian

Two/Three wheelers

Do we really need powerless Two-wheelers and Over loaded 3-wheelers plying on NH's and city roads? They create all sorts of nuisance on roads, they torture like any thing on fly-overs inside the city in addition to the unbearable produce.God knows why the RTO persist with these kind of vehicles.
Old 21st June 2010, 13:32   #128
BHPian

Part 5: Actual Expenses

Car repair:
Total cost of repair = 52 k
Insurance co's contribution = 36 k
I had to pay = 16 k (Plastics, Depreciation, etc. etc.)

Others:
Cost of the stolen mobile = 15k (Recollect one my earlier posts - somebody stole my wife's mobile at the accident spot)
First PICs of our son which were stored in the mobile = PRICELESS

Charges to Police = 2k (There is another name for this charge - but let's name it diplomatically here)
Charges to RTO = 1k (Similar to the above)
Cab, Lodging, etc. = 4k

Peace of mind = PRICELESS
Old 21st June 2010, 18:20   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am currently battling in Koramangala to at least get the footpath restored. Right now, the foot path is encroached by the shops and people, cows & buffaloes walk on the road, making it perilous for everyone.
You're wishing for too much. I've seen KML between 2004 and 2007 and very little will change there because the pace of change <<<< the pace at which newcomers settle there.

Quote:
Why can't the KA govt. put one solitary light there? That would have helped both ch.nathan and the villagers who chose that exact moment to cross the highway.
After relocating to Hyderabad (born and brought up here) last year I've totally given up faith in traffic lights. There are stray incidents in other places (Bengaluru included) where people don't obey the lights, but that's the way of life here.

I sometimes see helmetless two-wheeler riders zoom off when the lights are red - one eye on the cop (as if to say "catch me if you can" or "you go do whatever you want -- I'm out of here") and one eye on the oncoming traffic (some of which has already jumped the lights with hardly 2-3 seconds left to go) - and can't decide whether to be amused or frustrated at this apalling lack of sense.

I recollect what a friend's friend (exchange student from Europe) told him when he "experienced" traffic in New Delhi. He said he felt like he was in a video game and the handlebar/steering wheel is just a "point-at-available-space-and-shoot" device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
I recently got the front seat in a city bus and was amazed at how much patience the bus driver had! The poor chap had to dodge bikes, cars, people; all jumping right in front of him and this he does the whole day! I get mad when a single person jumps in front of my vehicle and this guy manages it day in and day out. But the moment he hits someone, the fingers are pointed straight at the poor driver.
Which is precisely the reason many RTC bus drivers are now quitting their jobs and looking for other - saner - employment opportunities. It's become a huge problem for the RTC at least here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Others:
First PICs of our son which were stored in the mobile = PRICELESS
That's sad to hear. I hope you had some backup.

Regards,
spadix
Old 21st June 2010, 19:25   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Which is precisely the reason many RTC bus drivers are now quitting their jobs and looking for other - saner - employment opportunities. It's become a huge problem for the RTC at least here.
Regards,
spadix
At the end of the ride I infact shook hands with the driver and asked him how he was handling this; to this the reply was "Sir, I am getting paid 2 lpa and this is the only job i know". I was out of a reply and all I could manage was a smile. But I didnt know there is a dearth for drivers in RTC's! Is this only in APSRTC (I assume you are from Hyd)?
Old 21st June 2010, 19:30   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Do we really need powerless Two-wheelers and Over loaded 3-wheelers plying on NH's and city roads? They create all sorts of nuisance on roads, they torture like any thing on fly-overs inside the city in addition to the unbearable produce.God knows why the RTO persist with these kind of vehicles.
Highway's I agree they should not be allowed since it is too dangerous for them. But in a city, how else will an average middle class commuter move from place A to place B? The public transport is already packed to the brim!
Old 21st June 2010, 20:06   #132
BHPian

Quote:
At the end of the ride I infact shook hands with the driver and asked him how he was handling this; to this the reply was "Sir, I am getting paid 2 lpa and this is the only job i know". I was out of a reply and all I could manage was a smile. But I didnt know there is a dearth for drivers in RTC's! Is this only in APSRTC (I assume you are from Hyd)?
I have personally seen some very sane and patient drivers of SETC (TN). In spite of all the abuse from the passengers who somehow expect the drivers to make it quick and safe magically, they do drive carefully. Even some of the private travels I use have good drivers.

After seeing some of the accidents on highways, I get a feeling that more often than not it is the lesser experienced ones who do not have the road etiquette that cause the accidents rather than those who do driving for a living. Of course I have seen equal number of trucks/cars/bykes coming down the wrong side of the highway and scaring the hell out of me, so I am not stereotyping anyone.

Thanks ch.nathan for sharing this experience. I use NH-7 often and after I reading this I could not stop thinking that easily it could have been me in your place.
Old 22nd June 2010, 14:10   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But I didnt know there is a dearth for drivers in RTC's! Is this only in APSRTC (I assume you are from Hyd)?
Yeah the local papers mentioned it sometime back. I think it's specifically only in Hyderabad (and not AP as a whole).

And I can totally understand why.

Back in the day, RTC drivers used to earn a lot of respect from other road users for their driving. Now on some of the busier roads they're no better than auto drivers (stopping right in the middle of the road and changing lanes extremely quickly etc.). That's probably because they have to meet their daily trip schedules, which may not have changed much from when they were originally prepared.

Regards,
spadix
Old 22nd June 2010, 15:56   #134
BHPian

My friends met with a similar accident near Perundhurai--Avinashi stretch.
My friends were going to Kerala on 2 cars.It was a Hyundai 120,pretty new.

Morning 6:30AM or so, they were driving at 80-90KMPH range waiting for the second vehicle which lost from line of sight. All of a sudden 2 ladies crossed the road with a moped.

To avoid head on collision,he had to turn the vehicle right which resulted in hitting the moped with door side and crashing into the median. As usual villagers surrounded and luckily no one hurt seriously. Medical expense, police clearance (Police and villagers played drama as the lady was some local politican's sister in law.). Anyway he settled from the spot without much issues. But the total damages cost him around 1.80 Lacs .He is expecting 1.40L from insurance.

In my last 5 year frequent travels on NH 7 and NH 47 ,I've noticed one special thing in entire Tamil Nadu. People crossing with Mopeds/Lunas and those <75 bhp engine vehicles at a pace of 10KMPH against speeding vehicles.

Also,many people come in the opposite direction, that too keeping their lane to the median.
Even if someone has to drive in opposite direction, shouldn't they keep the outer periphery of the road,than inner one,near to median?

Now,I drive always on the middle line,which gives me space to escape on all such unexpected stuff.
Old 22nd June 2010, 16:11   #135
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
In my last 5 year frequent travels on NH 7 and NH 47 ,I've noticed one special thing in entire Tamil Nadu. People crossing with Mopeds/Lunas and those <75 bhp engine vehicles at a pace of 10KMPH against speeding vehicles.
I was doing 110 or so on NH7 between Dindigul and Tirunelveli section and what do I see? A lungi clad tvs 50 guy standing at 90 degrees with his bike which was between the middle land and the right lane talking to another lungi clad guy standing on the line separating the left lane and the middle lane. And when I honked, the guy ran towards the divider and the biker tried pushing his tvs 50 towards the shoulder. Guys just tried rushing to the ends they were facing.
Worst part was that their flowing lungis weren't even folded upwards from their knee (which normally they do) and it restricted their running.
What I saw on their faces was instant fear. I realised that they are not used to expressways and high speeds yet. They never realised that a vehicle can come on to them so fast!
Luckily I knew they'd run in haphazard manner so had my speed in check the moment I spotted them.
Anyway, but for the standing in the middle of the highway and chatting, I've seen all kinds of vehicles coming in all directions in almost all highways I've driven.
Last weekend I saw a scooter going on the wrong side (emerged out of the Khandala tunnel) on the Mumbai -pune expressway.
I have taken a photo of the same. I also spotted two cars and a bike stopped there to admire and take photos of the tunnel. Right lane completely vacant at a stretch and a truck groaning in the middle lane and a container lorry groaning more to overtake that from the left lane and an 800 honking like crazy behind these trucks!
Welcome to Indian Highways.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks