Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2010, 15:34   #61
Senior - BHPian

A two wheeler guy once drove suddenly across the road on a highway and my friend's car hit the two wheeler. My friend got down and found the two wheeler guy un-conscious, after splashing water, the guy regained consciousness and had some wounds on his body. Immediately an auto was summoned and two others helped the guy into the auto. My friend gave 200 rupees to those guys and didn't even have to go along with them.
When my friend asked for the nearest police station, everyone in the big crowd asked him to just move on since it was not serious. He later called his father who contacted the police (relatives).

I am telling this because the whole system is somewhat scared with going to the police and its not always poor people taking advantage of rich or middle class.

After the above incident, my friend's parents made sure that the guy who got hit was ok and all. Relatives in the police dept did say that he should have surrendered to the police just make sure no legal hassles would creep in later.

Also, for most people (including myself) its not easy to let a injured guy suffer without any help.

Last edited by srishiva : 26th July 2010 at 15:36.
Old 26th July 2010, 15:46   #62
BHPian

Dear Jay,

Great job done though it turned out to be a bad dream. Its not Mumbai or Bangalore-the rots everywhere. You are in a vehicle- you at faults even though someone runs into your stationary vehicle.
My only request to you all is do not run. I had a two wheeler ram into me-a crowd gather and made it as it was my fault-my second sin was i do not know Kannada-so I am an outsider (though an Indian). thank God that my DL has my photo with my Army Uniform-on seeing it the crowd backed off.

Regards,

Col J H Mayne
Old 26th July 2010, 16:16   #63
BHPian

Hi Jay,

What you did is right in the given situation. There will always be people to manipulate and make money and you have made your stand clear. Keep up my friend and we are with you. Afterall its not as bad as hellstars experience and the agony what he underwent.

All the best.
Old 26th July 2010, 17:01   #64
BHPian

I'm sorry for your ordeal. But sadly, such things are now commonplace in India. However, you did the right thing by getting the woman to a hospital.

I had such an incident when I was on holiday here and went through hell with the police. Cant blame all the hit and run cases.

The funniest thing is that we probably live in the only country where seeing a policeman gives you a sinking feeling in your tummy even if you know you haven't done anything wrong and have all documents etc.!

Tassem.
Old 26th July 2010, 20:19   #65

Great job dude. But sorry for your experience with corrupt crowd. I know how you feel. Be happy for yourself. You have done the right thing.

Cheers!!!!!
Old 26th July 2010, 21:13   #66

Something very similar happened to me just a few weeks back.

We(Group of 6) were returning from our Hyderabad-Kerala Road trip, and on the highway heading to Salem. I was cruising at around 100kmph on the right lane, and around 1.5km away I noticed a Lorry in the left lane with a motorcyclist right behind him.

I somehow had this bad feeling so, I slowed down to around 85kmph and I was about to overtake when this guy on the bike suddenly decides that he wants to overtake the Lorry and lands right in the middle of my Innova. With 50ft to react, I immediately jump on the brakes and steer the car to the right (very close to the divider - noticed later)

The HIT happens! The impact zone was on the side starting from the left headlight. Damn! What follows is the usual procession to the Hospital where a group builds up and there is total confusion with some asking for a compensation(ranging from 15-25k).

We decide it is better to go to the police station.( A Stupid Mistake that I realize later) And then the drama begins.

Now this guy had scraped the road and had bruised his leg and back; since he wasn't wearing any helmet he had an injury to the head too. But the doc told us that there was no danger and that they were only bruises, no fractures etc.

At the PS, there lands a tout(or NGO) called upon by some guy who saw all this, saying he wanted to help us(this was in TN, and none of us knew tamil).
A couple of my friends were scared as **** since they never experienced such a situation agree and I went with the majority opinion. (though i wanted an FIR to be registered)

So this guy representing us gets into talks with the other party rep. and they finalize on 35k!! They started creating a ruckus saying the injured could be in danger cos of the head injury and they needed to know our decision fast. Since we had to get to Bangalore by night, we agreed to shell out 35k for the injured and 4k for the police. :( thanks to all the drama by the police saying this was a very serious case after the doc had told there was nothing to worry about.

Anyways, I wont bore you with all the drama that took place during the settlement at the Hospital or with the dinner and booze party we paid for the Cops.

But, a week ago, that tout calls up one of us and demands another 40k saying and i quote, " The guy is in danger. He might die any minute. He has Brain Tumor!!. Transfer the money to my account asap " He actually thought we would buy that crap. Accident causing brain tumor. And to top this, the next day the SI calls up repeating the same crap.

My friend had to change his number to stop all this!

[P.S - The injured, turns out, was an astrologer with 2 wives; I remember a guy in the town passing off a remark " His career is ruined now" :P

Well, I guess nothing much you can do about such situations. We were just pleased that nothing serious happened to the injured guy. All that I can do is to be even more careful with bikers on the highway, especially those without a helmet.
Old 26th July 2010, 22:08   #67

Sorry to hear about this incidence and really appreciate the courage you showed. In Delhi this is actually a racket being run by people who deliberately jump in front of vechicle and act as if they are badly hurt, then suddenly his/her loved ones will appear from nowhere and make hue and cry, then finally ask for the settlement money from the car owner, they are accompanied by handful gundas who will gather around and shout loudly about breaking the car to create pressure on the car owner to pay compensation.

They won't even hesitate in slapping and beating, you can understand the situation of the car owner in that case! Meanwhile all this happens the person (who started drama) would pretend to be unconscious!

These people takes very calculative risk and target only the big car owners who are traveling alone, they would usually wait for their target on the road with not much traffic, and this act will only happen near a police station to create more and more pressure on the car owner, cops will get their share of money if settlement is done mutually! else police will come in the picture and you better know how smartly they act in such cases!
Old 26th July 2010, 22:48   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intoxicator View Post
Something very similar happened to me just a few weeks back......
But, a week ago, that tout calls up one of us and demands another 40k saying and i quote, " The guy is in danger. He might die any minute. He has Brain Tumor!!. Transfer the money to my account asap " He actually thought we would buy that crap. Accident causing brain tumor. And to top this, the next day the SI calls up repeating the same crap.

My friend had to change his number to stop all this!
A lot of touts at the hospital, including the police asked me for my number . I refused to give anyone any information which I disclosed only at the police station at the time of writing the station dairy.

This is exactly why I refused to pay the victim any further that I had done the first time and refused to buy the police's advice too and asked them to go ahead and file a complaint and do as they like. Atleast I know I wont get fleeced further by them having STOPPED them successfully.

I feel sorry for them and was very happy to find myself smiling at the Police officer looking at his sad face. For me that was a paisa vasool moment.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 26th July 2010 at 22:50.
Old 27th July 2010, 16:45   #69
BHPian

My moment of Truth

This happened few years ago. At about 10 a.m.I was driving towards the Small Causes Court, Dhobi Talao Mumbai. I was driving through the crowded Carnac Bander road where suddenly from the left side, a man rushed out onto the divider, followed by a second man, who was chasing him. I applied the brakes. My Car had the steel fender at that time. The Second Person got hit by the car and was thrown away. The steel fender dug deep in his flesh.

I immediately got down, took the injured man and his 3-4 relatives in the car and drove down to G.T.Hospital. Luckily the man admitted his mistake and I got saved from the unruly crowd. I completed the formalities in the hospital. There was a constable in the hospital. He took my Name and other details. I had to rush to the court, so I left my car in the Hospital parking, went to the court.

I came after 2 hours and saw some 10-15 people waiting for me. I spoke to them. The injured person had 10 stitches and had a limp. His relatives demanded 10K for his treatment. I offered to get him treated at my regular hospital and bear the charges. They refused and threatened to file complaint against me in the police station.

I offered to drive them to the Ramabai Ambedkar police station. In the police station I told the injured that I will not pay anything beyond 1K for his medicines/injections. They insisted on filling complaint. I stuck to my stand since I was not at fault. The police officer intervened and settled the matter. I paid 1K to the injured. The police took his statement, stating that he met with an accident with a car while crossing the road and the driver was not at fault. Thanking the officer I left the police station at 4 p.m.

Happy that the injured was treated But saddened by the way people behave.
Old 27th July 2010, 20:42   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post

There really is no hope
Bingo.
Agreed entirely.
Old 28th July 2010, 12:33   #71

Agree with all of you. The system sucks. But, i feel we shouldnt stop being humane in getting the injured the quickest medical attention, even if it means agony for us while helping. After all, this is the only difference between us and animals. Ain't it guys?
Old 28th July 2010, 14:31   #72
BHPian

really sorry that this incident has happened to you
but you acted in a humane manner and that is the only thing which counts
whenever we encounter our lawmakers it always leaves a bad impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2009 View Post
This happened few years ago. At about 10 a.m.I was driving towards the Small Causes Court, Dhobi Talao Mumbai. I was driving through the crowded Carnac Bander road where suddenly from the left side, a man rushed out onto the divider, followed by a second man, who was chasing him. I applied the brakes. My Car had the steel fender at that time. The Second Person got hit by the car and was thrown away. The steel fender dug deep in his flesh.

I immediately got down, took the injured man and his 3-4 relatives in the car and drove down to G.T.Hospital. Luckily the man admitted his mistake and I got saved from the unruly crowd. I completed the formalities in the hospital. There was a constable in the hospital. He took my Name and other details. I had to rush to the court, so I left my car in the Hospital parking, went to the court.

I came after 2 hours and saw some 10-15 people waiting for me. I spoke to them. The injured person had 10 stitches and had a limp. His relatives demanded 10K for his treatment. I offered to get him treated at my regular hospital and bear the charges. They refused and threatened to file complaint against me in the police station.

I offered to drive them to the Ramabai Ambedkar police station. In the police station I told the injured that I will not pay anything beyond 1K for his medicines/injections. They insisted on filling complaint. I stuck to my stand since I was not at fault. The police officer intervened and settled the matter. I paid 1K to the injured. The police took his statement, stating that he met with an accident with a car while crossing the road and the driver was not at fault. Thanking the officer I left the police station at 4 p.m.

Happy that the injured was treated But saddened by the way people behave.
good for you
yours is a rare case

Last edited by bblost : 28th July 2010 at 15:35. Reason: back 2 back post. Please use edit post if posting within 20 mins. Thanks.
Old 28th July 2010, 15:06   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2009 View Post
This happened few years ago.............
You were quite lucky that the police intervened positively to settle the matter.
Old 28th July 2010, 15:33   #74
Senior - BHPian

I have also seen this. Police are more interested in money. Anything happens where car is involved, car owner / driver is at fault. They try to loot car owner. Police will never listen and tells laws which are not heard of. Its really bad behavior.
Old 28th July 2010, 22:06   #75
Joy
BHPian

Sorry to hear your state. But as a good citizen of the country, you did the right thing.

I know what you had to go through, as once I also was implicated in a false case and suffered a lot. But I never buckled under pressure and ultimately truth prevailed. Hats of to you for doing the same thing, it takes real courage to fight the system.

As other members already stated that our country is in a horrible state of corruption, there is little apathy towards normal and law abiding citizens. I can guarantee you, if you happen to know some politician, a kith and kin of some politician or big shots, you would not have to face any of these problem. In fact, you would have been treated royally and those poor buggers will be the one suffering now.

Ultimately, somebody has to take a stance against all these nonsense and you, my friend, might be the chosen one. I humbly request all tbhpian to circulate awareness regarding these sort things anywhere they deem fit (press, tv, etc.), so that our friend can have some sort of support group (not just limited to tbhp) and this will help us all, at some point of time.

Wishing you all the luck.

Pls do keep us informed about the hardship.

Last edited by Joy : 28th July 2010 at 22:06. Reason: typos

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks