Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2010, 23:09   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intoxicator View Post
So this guy representing us gets into talks with the other party rep. and they finalize on 35k!! They started creating a ruckus saying the injured could be in danger cos of the head injury and they needed to know our decision fast. Since we had to get to Bangalore by night, we agreed to shell out 35k for the injured and 4k for the police. :( thanks to all the drama by the police saying this was a very serious case after the doc had told there was nothing to worry about.
You paid around 40K ? !!!! Man you should have paid 50K and requested everyone if you could run him over once again! What nonsense!

Last edited by prince_pervez : 28th July 2010 at 23:11.
Old 29th July 2010, 12:07   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intoxicator View Post
I somehow had this bad feeling so, I slowed down to around 85kmph and I was about to overtake when this guy on the bike suddenly decides that he wants to overtake the Lorry and lands right in the middle of my Innova. With 50ft to react, I immediately jump on the brakes and steer the car to the right (very close to the divider - noticed later)
Intoxicator, in situations like this, when I think that people on two wheelers will swerve into my way, i honk the horn well in advance to keep them at bay. It works very well!

Like everyone, I have a story to tell. My friend is trailing a jeep on its right side.The jeep slowed down to give way to a person who wanted to cross the road(It happens in hyderabad! People just cross the road when they feel like and all the vehicles should slow down or sway away from them) The jeep obstructed my friend's view and he could not see the person till he is right in front of him. There was an accident - friend has an injury on knee and the person crossing the road had one. The injured person turns out to be a coolie. They went to police station for settlement. Police said "Pay 2k and leave the place". Another police officer called on behalf of the injured and the police raised the price. "Pay 3k and leave the place", they said.

My poor friend paid them the latest bill and went to hospital to get himself cured.

No hope.
Old 29th July 2010, 17:07   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naruto View Post
Intoxicator, in situations like this, when I think that people on two wheelers will swerve into my way, i honk the horn well in advance to keep them at bay. It works very well!
my friend, sometimes horn, brakes dont help. I pray to God, that such a time should never come to you. But be prepared, horns dont help if a person is drunk or thinks he is too fast to manage it OR thinks that you will manage your vehicle without touching him.
Old 29th July 2010, 17:23   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
my friend, sometimes horn, brakes dont help. I pray to God, that such a time should never come to you. But be prepared, horns dont help if a person is drunk or thinks he is too fast to manage it OR thinks that you will manage your vehicle without touching him.
+1 to that. Be very careful when the other person is a woman.

This happened to me when I was in hyderabad. Year 2006.
Me on my new Pulsar. I see a lady suddenly start to crossing the road. I honk. She does not even turn her head to see me coming. I start reducing speed and honk. Hoping she will see me and get move away fast (believe me there was enough time for her to get away if she wanted).
Now I am in danger zone. Its going to be a hit. My thumb continuously on the horn now. 7 secs of continuous horn. Hard braking. Skidding. Me on road. With bike on me. The lady sees me and says "Oh, Sorry!!!" and walks off .
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2010, 17:43   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
+1 to that. Be very careful when the other person is a woman.

This happened to me when I was in hyderabad. Year 2006.
Me on my new Pulsar. I see a lady suddenly start to crossing the road. I honk. She does not even turn her head to see me coming. I start reducing speed and honk. Hoping she will see me and get move away fast (believe me there was enough time for her to get away if she wanted).
Now I am in danger zone. Its going to be a hit. My thumb continuously on the horn now. 7 secs of continuous horn. Hard braking. Skidding. Me on road. With bike on me. The lady sees me and says "Oh, Sorry!!!" and walks off .
You were lucky bro to get away with it. The worst thing happened to me in the same year in my Pulsar bike. A beggar woman started crossing the road with complete disregard of any vehicles approaching. I honk hard and she started dancing on the road with no idea on which side to go. I braked hard and fell down with my bike handle barely touching her. She started making hell lot of noise as if she is gonna die. She managed to gather a few people around due to her show off even without a single bruise in her body.

I called up my friends staying nearby. They came and took me and that lady in their car. We dropped off that lady in a nearby govt. clinic and settled her with 500rs which she happily took and cleared off. Hard times followed for me with multiple fractures on my right knee and left hand wrist.
Old 29th July 2010, 22:32   #81
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Have a look at this news I read today.

Hit by car, mom and baby land on its boot, survive - Chennai - City - The Times of India

In times where drivers try to flee even though a lady and her infant are hanging to their dear life by holding the window, Jay stopped to help. I again congratulate him on a good deed.
Old 29th July 2010, 23:57   #82
Senior - BHPian

Those guys deserved a sound thrashing! As if it wasn't bad enough that they ram into the family, fleeing from the scene without any regard to the lives of those on the bonnet of the car,that's just unpardonable.
Old 30th July 2010, 11:13   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
You were quite lucky that the police intervened positively to settle the matter.
Being a lawyer helps. Else I would have been at the mercy of the cops and the injured person's relatives.
Old 4th August 2010, 14:29   #84
Senior - BHPian

I was once involved in a bizarre incident (couldnt term it an accident). I was waiting at a signal for green light to turn left. Actually it was a free-left turn but as it was during peak traffic hour in the evening there were many vehicles which spilled into that lane. After a few seconds a man riding on scooter came and overtook my vehicle from left, tried to cut in front of the vehicle but coming up against the plastic cones placed there to mark the free-left, he braked. He couldnt balance his scooter and it leaned towards my vehicle. After hitting the bumper, he fell to the other side. My Bolero was idle during all the time this happened. I got down from the vehicle, helped the man up. In the meantime, two police men who are going off from duty came (this happened right in front of police station) and suggested that the man may require medical attention. That person shrugged it off saying he was fine and we went our way.

I received a call on next day from the concerned inspector that the man made a complaint and that he broke his leg due to our 'rash and negligent' driving. I said I would come in the evening. I went to the PS to look at the General Diary. It was registered as an MLC. I took the number the hospital allotted to him from his complaint and inquired. The hospital said he was treated as an out-patient and that there was no fracture as such. In the evening his wife came along with a few of their relatives and a few dadas and demanded Rs.70,000.00. The inspector said he would settle the case for about Rs.30,000. I smelt rat and asked for some time.. The injured man has a polio- affected left leg. He was a bank employee, who applied for leave to get his leg (polio-affected leg which he claimed was fractured) operated. So, I informed the police that I wouldnt pay them anything. After a few days a relative of his wife phoned me and threatened to take away my vehicle if I didnt pay. I asked him to come to the police station and went and informed the inspector of the threat. He asked me to make a formal complaint so that he could take action on that person. I said I didnt want to make a complaint as that person was a govt employee and that complaint may pose some problem to him. After some time that person came and revised his demand from Rs.70,000 to Rs.60,000.00 as he found me 'decent' and himself a 'good' person. I refused to pay him.

After a few months, I received Court notice. They filed insurance claim to the tune of Rs.1,50,000.00.

My further enquiries revealed that there were no fractures but his leg was operated upon as planned. I tried to draw attention of the attention of the insurance lawyer to the inconsistencies and the fraud but he wouldnt even acknowledge me. He vigorously argued that the driving license was invalid and the company was not bound to pay. I couldnt suppress laughter as he tried to make me agree that the DL was invalid (at the cross-examination) and was scolded by the Magistrate. Finally the Magistrate decreed that company was to pay Rs.63,000.00 to the Claimant, which, no doubt, was split between the Claimant, their Lawyer and the Insurance Co. Lawyer.

Last edited by simplyself : 4th August 2010 at 14:32.
simplyself is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2010, 15:06   #85
BHPian

Some experiences there! General public are improvising on their conning skills day by day. There is a whole thread about the pulsar gang in Bangalore, then the 'chennai con' and now these. We ought to watch our guard well.
Old 18th August 2010, 11:31   #86
BHPian

wow, thanks for the detailed report. it really helped and i accept the Indian System of working things is sure pathetic.

Sorry to hear
Old 26th August 2010, 14:45   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Sorry to hear the sad development after an accident. But, I do not advocate 'hit-and-run' under any circumstance, come what may. If I do, I will also join the corrupt system.
Completely agree. The system is corrupt, agreed. But whatever be, let us do the right thing. Help the injured.

Suresh.
Old 23rd April 2018, 10:08   #88
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Experiments With Truth - Road Accident

Update on the case.
The case was finally discharged and I won the case after 7 years of a fight.
Case closed.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 12:46   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh my god! Read this thread today. I can imagine the torture!
Awesome of you to prevail
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2018, 10:08   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Update on the case.
The case was finally discharged and I won the case after 7 years of a fight.
Case closed.
Congratulations on a well deserved and well earned victory. And a special mention for visiting this thread after so long to keep us all informed. I just read through the thread today and am shocked at what the cops would stoop to.

Just out of curiosity, how many days of yours would have got consumed by this over the last 7 years?
RedHerring is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks