Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2010, 13:42   #46
BHPian

15 days before this happen to my friend's room mate.
He was driving his car in banaregatte road at 12 PM in the afternoon.

The same thing happen to him and they saw his purse and got the ATM card ,Drawn money with the help of him itself.25000 rupees.

No chance of escaping from this guys until and unless we fight,or some public need to be in our side.

I dont know How they are targeting the right people.
Old 15th September 2010, 13:55   #47
MX6
Senior - BHPian

For all people who are wondering what this HVK stuff is, as pointed out by some, it is a camera that HVKumar uses. And it is not an ordinary camera.

It's a in vehicle journey recorder that comes with gps.

So what does it do?

It records your complete journey as it happens from inside the vehicle. The camera is good enough to cover 3 lanes when you are in the middle lane.

It also records the gps position, your speed, direction of motion, altitude etc along with the video. So literally, it traces your path real time with video as well as a blip that goes on the google maps on the side.

And it can record in near darkness with such great clarity, that Batman's night vision is put to shame.

It automatically starts recording when the car is started. Every minor shake in the vehicle including going over potholes, speed breakers etc are shown like a snickometer reading.

Pretty handy device there and I'm completely smitten. Once you transfer it to your laptop, you can edit the video to have your own view of the amazing rallies you've done, from the bonnet.

Last but not least, when you have parked your car and are sleepign in your home, if some moron sideswipes your car, then the camera activates on self and records the speeding guy giving you proof with his registration plates clearly.

On a lighter note, even if you proceed legally with proof and nothing happens, atleast you can upload clippings in youtube to bring extreme embarrasment to the perpetrator.
Old 15th September 2010, 14:19   #48
Senior - BHPian

Funny incident. Didn't read the entire thread, however, just thinking, there could be another angle to it. Is your friend married or alcoholic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
... they agreed with initial amount couple of thousand Rs. ...
If your friend is married, he/she may be having a secret dalliance w/ a colleague or someone and needed "a story" to explain his/her spouse about couple of thousands missing from his/her purse which he/she spent on the secret meeting at Mezzanine. Or, if he/she is a drunkard, had some real good time in Sadanand Hotel and Bar and came home with the story of how he/she lost the money to the orthodox (and pestering) parents/family members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
... "you software types" don't shows the guts to file a complaint when things happen and how that contributes to the situation. Perhaps he has a point.
Very true. I think either we try to take shortcut or are ignorant most of the time. This makes us weak. Remember one thing, in today's world it is very difficult for anybody (be it cops, politicians etc) to get away with misdeeds, otherwise we didn't have pappu yadavs, raja bhaiyyas and Rathores behind bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
can we dial 100 from a mobile phone?
Yes it is a emergency number and you do not have to prefix STD (020) with it. Btw 020-26122880 is another Police Control Room (PCR) number. Keep other police station numbers, specially under whose jurisdiction you reside, handy. E.g. I am listing below few numbers from my Mobile Add book:

Hinjewadi PS: 02022934622
Chatushringi PS: 02025655335
Deccan PS: 02025675005

Also checkout Pune Police helpline

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 15th September 2010 at 14:27. Reason: added pune police contact and link
Old 15th September 2010, 14:29   #49
Senior - BHPian

The details about HVK's car camera is given here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post1294731

-Biju
Old 15th September 2010, 14:31   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
For all people who are wondering what this HVK stuff is, as pointed out by some, it is a camera that HVKumar uses. And it is not an ordinary camera.

It's a in vehicle journey recorder that comes with gps.

So what does it do?

It records your complete journey as it happens from inside the vehicle. The camera is good enough to cover 3 lanes when you are in the middle lane.

It also records the gps position, your speed, direction of motion, altitude etc along with the video. So literally, it traces your path real time with video as well as a blip that goes on the google maps on the side.

And it can record in near darkness with such great clarity, that Batman's night vision is put to shame.

It automatically starts recording when the car is started. Every minor shake in the vehicle including going over potholes, speed breakers etc are shown like a snickometer reading.

Pretty handy device there and I'm completely smitten. Once you transfer it to your laptop, you can edit the video to have your own view of the amazing rallies you've done, from the bonnet.

Last but not least, when you have parked your car and are sleepign in your home, if some moron sideswipes your car, then the camera activates on self and records the speeding guy giving you proof with his registration plates clearly.

On a lighter note, even if you proceed legally with proof and nothing happens, atleast you can upload clippings in Youtube to bring extreme embarrasment to the perpetrator.

Here is a sample video of a Day Shot from my car video:
Old 15th September 2010, 14:38   #51
Senior - BHPian

And here is a night shot from the same car video:

Old 15th September 2010, 14:48   #52
Senior - BHPian

And a video from my Ladakh trip of Apr 2009, near Chang la

Old 15th September 2010, 15:42   #53
BHPian

How much does buying and installing that camera cost? Also, where is the video stored? Is it a tape or SD card or a HDD ?
I notice in the first 2 videos that we cannot read the number plates on the vehicles ahead. Is this due to Youtube downgrading quality?
Sorry for asking so many questions, but this camera idea has really got me thinking .
Old 15th September 2010, 17:18   #54
Senior - BHPian

Camera cost me USD 400 2 years ago, now prices have dropped.
It has got GPS also to geo-tag the images and track it on a Google Map.
Data is saved in a SD card. I use 1 GB or 4 GB cards.
You cannot see anything on the drive, you have to download onto your computer to see the images.
Records audio and vehicle geometry (motion, braking, etc).
1GB can record something like 12 hours of video.
Video quality is 5 frames/sec.
Old 19th August 2014, 14:16   #55
Senior - BHPian

Accident Scam in Jayanagar Terrace Parking (MLCP), Bangalore

I became the latest victim of an accident scam.

On Saturday, 16th Aug, around 4 PM, myself, wifey, kid and my mother went to Jayanagar for shopping for Janmasthami.

Upon arriving at Jayanagar, I turned left towards the entry to the Jayanagar Terrace Parking, above the Jayanagar Bus Stop.

The parking is on the Terrace. 3rd Floor houses RTO and 1st Floor houses More Megastore.

The moment I reached the terrace, a shabby looking guy in Khaki uniform walks towards me waving his hands towards me to stop.
I realise that parking is full towards that side and may be he had some space towards the beginning of the parking lot. So I stop.
Then he speaks to me in local language (which I cannot understand) and I could make out that he is saying that there is no parking ahead and I need to squeeze my car immediately to the right, between two broken abandoned vehicles. I think those two vehicles were seized by RTO and dumped there.

So I agree and take right. I ask my wife and mom to get down since they wouldn't be able to open the passenger side doors once I park, due to lack of space on their side. They get down.

Now the scam begins.
The guy stands in front of my car and waves me to come ahead, twisting a little left, a little right (like when you park).
The moment I start moving ahead, he comes towards the driver side near the bumper and stands. I ask him to move out, else he would not be able to get out. He keeps waving at me and keeps calling me ahead. Then I start feeling that I cannot get out of the door. So I stop and shut down the car. I have a quick glance at him and he is standing in front of the RHS Bumper corner. I roll up windows and take my wallet and mobile and the moment I come out of the car, this guy is standing besides the RHS front fender and making weird faces.
I ask him what is the problem and he says that I have run over the front RHS wheel over his foot. By the time I get down, he immediately goes in front of the car and starts limping !!

I get worried and ask him to show me the injury, to which he starts limping and goes away from me.
I ask my wife and mom to hold the kid and go near the elevator.

At this point the attendant goes near a parked auto and sits down.
The auto guy speaks to him and waves me calling. I go and ask what happened.
He says that I ran over the attendant's foot, so I should take him to the hospital or pay him 1000 bucks for treatment !!
The attendant shows me his chappal, one of whos strap has been neatly cut. He says that the wheel tore his chappal and broke his feet !!

I got scared and asked the auto guy, how is it possible for a chappal strap to be neatly cut if I ran over it at 1kmph speed ? Moreover, the guy was in front of the car and not on the side. Plus, I asked him to move out of the place first.

Among this discussion, came another attendant and says that give him Rs50, for drinking, and go !!!
I was shocked. I said if he needed money for drinking he could have asked me and not do all this drama !! He said that this attendant was always drunk and does drama, so give him Rs50.

I said I would come back from shopping and give him money. We left for shopping.
When I come back after 1 hour, I see the drunk guy running across from one car to another, don't know why, may be extracting money using the same drama.
We get into the car, windows rolled up, doors locked. I reverse the car, and the guy runs towards me. He knocked the window, showing me signs of give money. I asked him to come near the exit gate.
He didn't come. I paid the parking fee and left the parking area.

Phew, that was a terribly scary street experience for me. Till date, minor arguments happen with fellow road users, but never a case of accident causing human damage !!

Not sure if this kind of things happen in other parts of India, but surely I am not going to the Terrace parking in Jayanagar, Bangalore in the near future. And when I do, I would be double sure to keep any human being atleast 6 feet away from my car.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 19th August 2014 at 14:22.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 14:28   #56
Team-BHP Support

Re: Accident Scam in Jayanagar MLCP, Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Unfortunately, such incidents are far too common these days.

I live in South Bangalore and park in the 4th block TTMC terrace lot often, and empathize with your plight. One simple thumb rule I've adopted to try and avoid all such nonsense is I don't allow ANY STRANGER to guide me into a parking spot. If it's a really tight one, I take my time fitting into it (ask co-passenger to help if traveling with someone) or try to find another spot (I'm paranoid about people parked adjacent scratching/denting my car). I simply don't trust attendants, even honest ones because they'll guide you within millimeters of the wall/another object, then expect you to have superhuman reflexes to stop without a bump.

Horrible state of affairs, and one never knows the next con-job about to hit them. Some of these are really elaborate and well-planned. I usually end up thinking if they used the same brains into doing something productive for a living, they wouldn't need to con people.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 19th August 2014 at 14:30.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 15:47   #57
BHPian

Re: Accident Scam in Jayanagar Terrace Parking (MLCP), Bangalore

Quote:
Looks like everyone is trying to con and earn money these days. We should practice caution all the time. Even if it's a simple thing like parking a car in a mall.

I came across something in Graphite India road, Whitefield few days back. A physically disabled person (or so it appeared, as he was sitting in a Kinetic Honda with support wheels) was waving at every car/bike taking that road.

I went ahead of him and stopped on the left side of the road. He started his bike, took a u-turn and approached my car. When I asked him what's wrong, he said he came to Bangalore from a nearby village and he had to travel back some 90 kms to reach home; But he ran out of fuel and desperate to get back. And that, all he needed was few hundred bucks for fuel.

I asked him, if he knew he had to go back, how in the world he traveled unprepared. Further, if he ran out of fuel, he wouldn't have had started his bike just to reach my car. Told him I won't fall for that story and left that place.

Two days later, I saw that same person at the same place, trying the same stunt. Looks like he couldn't get back to home but was able to took shower and changed his clothes.

Be wary of this guy. He looks like 18-20 years of age, kiddish and appear harmless. You never know anyway.
drivingme.crazy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 18:04   #58
Senior - BHPian

I feel I was an easy prey because I had two ladies and an infant with me.
Thankfully the auto guy and the 2nd attendant did not pester me much.
There was a Bolero with some men in Khakhi. I thought they were cops. So I went to them and asked if they were cops. They said that they were RTO folks. They were quietly watching the drama.

Really feel that these type of lowlife are still holding jobs.
The fellow should be behind bars for the rest of his life. Absolutely no sympathy for whatever sorry thing that turned him to alcolhism.
Old 19th August 2014, 18:53   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingme.crazy View Post
I came across something in Graphite India road, Whitefield few days back. A physically disabled person (or so it appeared, as he was sitting in a Kinetic Honda with support wheels) was waving at every car/bike taking that road.

A similar guy (mid 30's) is positioned near the rail under bridge when travelling from Doddanekundi To Marathalli, but he has a black Activa, NEW ONE and waves to all passing vehicles. I did stop once when I was in my scooter thinking he may be in genuine need, but the guy then asks me for some money to help educate his daughter. New activa, neatly dressed and needs money to educate daughter were enough of signs about what this guy was upto and I just drove away and have never stopped since then.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 19:08   #60
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
The moment I reached the terrace, a shabby looking guy in Khaki uniform walks towards me waving his hands towards me to stop.
There are lot of these guys in Bangalore who go to any extent to get money. Problem is, we don't know whom to complain to or they go unpunished.

Such a shocker!

I generally park behind the after the police station, a street parallel to Nanda Main road. Got a parking there even in the busiest rush hour. Although one needs to walk a lot from there.

I can relate to one such incident that happened to me: A friend parked his KTM D390 in Brigade road in the designated spot. When we were leaving, a man walks up to us and demands Rs.10. We say there is no parking fee for the spot(which was true) and demanded a receipt.
He gave an excuse that he has run out of receipts. We indicate that we'll ask the cop(who was close by) and pay him if the cop tells us to.

He walked away the moment we mentioned the word "cop."
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed