Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2012, 11:36   #316
BHPian

re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Hey Guys,

This is a very useful information for parents who travel with their babies in a car.

Although this thread has explained most of the things, i want to know one more thing.

1) Does these seats fit in all cars? especially the most used indian cars like Alto, Zen (Type 2), Maruti 800, Santro, etc?
2) Can anyone post a step by step process of fitting in & out the baby seats in the car?

Thanks in advance

Vishnu
Old 7th May 2012, 11:42   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu.csk View Post
Hey Guys,

1) Does these seats fit in all cars? especially the most used indian cars like Alto, Zen (Type 2), Maruti 800, Santro, etc?
2) Can anyone post a step by step process of fitting in & out the baby seats in the car?

Thanks in advance

Vishnu
1. The child seat should be able to fit in any car. The only requirement (atleast as far as I know) is the presence of 3 point seat belts. At least my car seat requires the presence of a 3 point belt and a lap belt will not be enough.

2. AFAIK, the process of fitting car seats will differ based on each manufacturer and it is best to follow the user manual for the same. Rear facing car seats will also have a different installation technique when compared to a forward facing seat.

Hope this helps!!!
Old 7th May 2012, 11:58   #318
BHPian

Thanks Arvind.

By the way, what is a 3 point seat belts? you mean the rear passenger seat belts for 3 ppl?
Old 7th May 2012, 12:14   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Arvind.

By the way, what is a 3 point seat belts? you mean the rear passenger seat belts for 3 ppl?
The seat belt which can be strappe over your shoulder and then lap is the 3 point seat belt. Usually the rear window seats (for lack of better word ) will have the 3 point belt and the middle one will have the lap belt.
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 12:19   #320
BHPian

Bingo..Got it..Thanks a lot Arvind..
Old 7th May 2012, 12:26   #321
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Bingo..Got it..Thanks a lot Arvind..
And make sure to choose a child seat which complements the size/weight of your kid. Normally there maybe some initial resistance from the child to get confined to the strapped up seat. Ignore that, and in a few days your child will start enjoying the safe and secure drive. Happy shopping!
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 13:07   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Normally there maybe some initial resistance from the child to get confined to the strapped up seat. Ignore that, and in a few days your child will start enjoying the safe and secure drive.
And will be trained to equate car travel with seat-belt wearing for the rest of his/her life. Success!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 13:44   #323
Senior - BHPian

Have any of you found a car seat in India which is a combo of a stroller and a car seat. So I can bring the baby to the car in the stroller, remove the top part and use it as a car seat.
Not sure what this is called, vb_san, have you seen something like this?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
The seat belt which can be strappe over your shoulder and then lap is the 3 point seat belt.
yes, a seat belt which is anchored at 3 different points when used. Usually the side ones on the rear seat. The middle rear seat comes with a lap belt which would be a 2 point seat belt, if at all there is such a term

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
And make sure to choose a child seat which complements the size/weight of your kid.
+1. add some toys, comfort blanket, books, water etc. And a sunshade if it is too sunny on that side.
Old 9th May 2012, 14:02   #324
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Have any of you found a car seat in India which is a combo of a stroller and a car seat. So I can bring the baby to the car in the stroller, remove the top part and use it as a car seat.
You mean something like these?
ShoppersStop.com - Mothercare Spin Pushchair - Silver
ShoppersStop.com - Mothercare U-Move Travel System

These systems work pretty well for infants and toddlers.

What I had for my girl was a combination of these (2008 model). But the Navetta was useful only when she was in the infant stage. The good thing is, it’s a bassinet to get the baby sleep at home, can be attached to the Pram, and can be secured in the car as well.
Peg Perego Official Website | Italia | Baby Products | Pliko P3 Compact Classico
Peg Perego Official Website | Italia | Baby Products | Navetta Xl

There is another brand called Maxi-Cosi which is pretty good in these systems. I am not sure if it’s available in India. Here is the link Maxi-Cosi offers highly appreciated car seats and strollers for babies, toddlers and kids

Hope this helps!
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 14:17   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I think I have seen something similar at Mothercare. You may want to check them out. Guess they might be expensive though. I have the exact one you have mentioned but my dad bought it from the middle east
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 12:53   #326
Team-BHP Support

I recently did a long drive with my daughter. The problem is Sweat.

Her back gets very wet despite the AC running at the coldest setting with Fan speed 2 or 3.

How can I make her more comfortable in the car seat?
Old 21st May 2012, 13:00   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I recently did a long drive with my daughter. The problem is Sweat.

Her back gets very wet despite the AC running at the coldest setting with Fan speed 2 or 3.

How can I make her more comfortable in the car seat?
Probably the child seat has the padding which is not cotton ? (to make it easy to maintain) You can try putting a soft cotton sheet on the seat. Since the child seat will be hugging from all sides, child also should not be heavily clothed.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 14:14   #328
BHPian

Friends, I've a basic question.

I bought a convertible child seat made by Mothercare. And used it to seat my 2 months old son for a long drive to Bangalore. The seat was positioned as rear facing as per instructions. And he seemed quite comfortable in it.

But, others were not very comfortable seeing him in it.
Especially, parents. They were worried about the seating position (baby has to sit in a child seat, not lying down flat). Will a 2 months old baby and his back bone be able to handle it for 8-9 hours?

Please let me know the expert views.
Old 22nd May 2012, 14:20   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
Especially, parents. They were worried about the seating position (baby has to sit in a child seat, not lying down flat). Will a 2 months old baby and his back bone be able to handle it for 8-9 hours?
I thought rear facing baby seats were positioned between sitting and lying down.

No offence meant, but I would not take a 2 month old baby on such a long drive. Just my opinion, I am sure you have your reasons for such a long drive. it may be better to check with your doctor as it will differ subjectively between baby to baby.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 14:22   #330
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
Friends, I've a basic question.

I bought a convertible child seat made by Mothercare. And used it to seat my 2 months old son for a long drive to Bangalore. The seat was positioned as rear facing as per instructions. And he seemed quite comfortable in it.

Please let me know the expert views.
Have you completed the long drive?

My daughters first long drive was Chennai to Trichy and back. She was about 10 months or so at that time.

IMHO: A long car trip for a infant only if there is no other choice.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks