Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2012, 10:03   #346
Team-BHP Support

re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
the drive is around 650 Kms one-way. This stretch is 4L and should take around 8-10 hrs.
It is not good to have an infant sitting for this long. If anything they need to be changed and fed. Is there no rest stop midway?

Quote:
Thanks for the heads-up, bejoy. I think the seat belt is long enough anyways I will verify it again.
Many seats do come with seat belt extenders.

Bejoy is right the seat needs to rear facing for the 1st year. Many of these seats are designed for US/EU kids so look at the weight specification instead of age. I sugest tht your wife or someone the child is comfortable with sit beside the child in the rear.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 10:30   #347
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a Infant car seat(My son is currently 1.5months old). I checked in Mothercare today and the options are like 0-12months(up to 9Kgs), 0-18 months(up to 13Kgs), and 0-48 months. Some models comes with a proper base while some doesn't. Some can be used to carry the baby around as well.

Actually we are planning for a drive to our hometown during the second part of december(can't avoid this trip), he will be around 2.5 months then and the drive is around 650 Kms one-way. This stretch is 4L and should take around 8-10 hrs. So, I want to make sure that the seat is comfortable for him during long drives. Please let me know the things that I need to check while buying an infant car seat.

I liked this one but yet to decide on this,
Hi Arun,

While it may seem that the child seats that can be used 0-13kgs would be a more practical option in the longer run. For an infant less than 3 months, I'm not sure on how comfortable the reclined seating position would be, they're more at ease when lying down flat rather than at an angle.

If you're okay to spend on two seats, I'd suggest that you buy an infant seat which can be used upto 1year or may be a couple months more and then move on to a child seat which is what you have put up here. This is based off my personal experience of having done extensive travel with my daughter since she was 2 months old (she did her first 2500km trip back then). We've done non-stop drives ranging from 6hrs to 20hrs with her and she's perfectly been at home in her seat(s). She now has a child seat that she's growing out of and is due to get a booster seat (before our Dec end road trip, yet again!).

The infant seats are more snug fit as compared to the bigger ones I've seen and contoured for an infant needs vs the bigger seats which have to be comfortable for seating position. There are additional cushions that come with the bigger child seats to accommodate infants, not sure how effective those are. Also, the seat belt restraints are designed differently between the two seats, again the infant seats have narrower seat belt pads considering the size of the child whereas the bigger seats have a generic size for use upto 2-3 years.

here's an example of the infant seats
"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-12214a.jpg

PS. Image off the web for illustration only - copyright to original owner.
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 10:31   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I liked this one but yet to decide on this,
This looks like too upright for an infant to me. Some seats have provision for changing the angle. Also, if your car has Isofix provision you can buy a seat which is compatible (rather then having the wrap the belt around)
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 10:46   #349
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna
This looks like too upright for an infant to me. Some seats have provision for changing the angle. Also, if your car has Isofix provision you can buy a seat which is compatible (rather then having the wrap the belt around)
I have seen this in the mothercare store. It's pretty good for infants. IIRC incline can be adjusted. And also it's not too expensive like a maxi-cosi or Britax.

Unfortunately, in India isofix mounts are available only with European D-segment cars and above.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 12:41   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a Infant car seat(My son is currently 1.5months old).
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Atleast for a year (and its better even beyond a year), your son need to be seated rear facing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
The infant seats are more snug fit as compared to the bigger ones I've seen and contoured for an infant needs vs the bigger seats which have to be comfortable for seating position. There are additional cushions that come with the bigger child seats to accommodate infants, not sure how effective those are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I have seen this in the mothercare store. It's pretty good for infants.
For infants less than 6 months (if not a year), it is strongly recommended to have rear facing child car seats. Please avoid front facing car seats for babies at such a young age. The key reason for this is not due to cushioning or padding but due to the simple fact that infants cannot support the weight of their head. In a front facing seat, this will be risky for the baby anytime you have to brake. I know someone will come up and say we also accelerate. But then accelerating is a choice we can avoid while emergency braking is not.

We have a Stage 1/2/3 front facing car seat that my 6 year old son has been using. It comes with fittings for babies too. But I have invested in a rear facing child seat for my 2 month old daughter.

I suggest you look around your friends to see if anyone has a rear facing baby car seat to lend. Try websites like babyoye or firstcry to see more options.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 09:33   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
It is not good to have an infant sitting for this long. If anything they need to be changed and fed. Is there no rest stop midway?
Planning to do at least three stops for rest and feeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I sugest tht your wife or someone the child is comfortable with sit beside the child in the rear.
Yes that is the plan. My wife will be sitting with my son in the back seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
here's an example of the infant seats
Attachment 1018498

PS. Image off the web for illustration only - copyright to original owner.
Is this the one which can be carried outside as well? I think I saw this one in mothercare. My only worry was that the base doesn't sit properly as it is curvy. Hence I am not sure how comfortable this will be on the move. I don't mind investing on this one if it is going to give more comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Yes the angle can be changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I have seen this in the mothercare store. It's pretty good for infants. IIRC incline can be adjusted.
I think this doesn't go any further. It was kept in its fully reclined position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
For infants less than 6 months (if not a year), it is strongly recommended to have rear facing child car seats. Please avoid front facing car seats for babies at such a young age.
The one i have posted is a rear facing only. But I think it can be used otherwise as well.
Old 27th November 2012, 09:41   #352
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The one i have posted is a rear facing only. But I think it can be used otherwise as well.
Here is something you can refer - for travel preparation:
http://www.volvocars.com/uk/top/my_v.../13-kilos.aspx
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 09:46   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie
Is this the one which can be carried outside as well? I think I saw this one in mothercare. My only worry was that the base doesn't sit properly as it is curvy. Hence I am not sure how comfortable this will be on the move. I don't mind investing on this one if it is going to give more comfort.
Yes, it can be carried out as a rocker. The curved base isn't an issue, it sits steadily on the seat. I've done enough bad roads to confidently say that there's nothing better than a snug fit car seat for a child.

Buy a nice neck restraint pillow along with the seat, whichever you buy.
amolpol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 22:04   #354
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie
After a couple of long meetings this afternoon, to take a break I walked into the Mothercare store next door (my girl is 4+ but even now I don't get tired of window shopping in Mothercare) . Got the friendly sales girl to show a couple of child seats. I believe the one you posted earlier is Mothercare Ziba. It looked decent, and the seating position was good. And to add on, it's not very expensive due to the in house Mothercare branding. Another one which she recommended was Maxi-cosi Pebble, which doubles as a bassinet/rocker to carry around as well. The difference is almost like similar to VW v/s Mercedes - both in pricing and quality. Really a good option though.

Now here is an important note. Big brands of strollers and car seats normally release new models every year, with slight difference in design, fabric etc. - something similar to cars. Which means when you get a stroller/car seat in December, you will get good discounts because 2013 models will be just on the way (or already arrived). Infact in Mothercare here, I noticed that there were a few maxi-cosi, peg perego models available with 30-40% discount. Reason - those are 2012 models. And there was something similar to Fiat Linea TJet as well - a 2011 Bugaboo stroller with 70% discount. Huge discount because that range is not in production now

Happy shopping!

Last edited by vb-saan : 27th November 2012 at 22:12.
Old 28th November 2012, 08:33   #355
BHPian

I am yet to find the Child seat with foot-rest or some additional/optional foot-rest as below. I am using a Child seat for my 2 yr old daughter and she finds it very difficult after a few minutes since it doesn't have a foot-rest. Can we get anything or similar kind of foot-rest in India?

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-13236.jpg

Last edited by ashok_lat : 28th November 2012 at 08:40.
Old 28th November 2012, 15:08   #356
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi, I personally have never seen one in India.

Question is why is your 2 year old finding it difficult? I can understand if this comes about after sustained sitting (> 2 hours etc.), but why a few minutes? :-)

Given her size, she must be used to her legs dangling anywhere she sits!

Last edited by itwasntme : 28th November 2012 at 15:10. Reason: Clarity
Old 28th November 2012, 15:29   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hi, I personally have never seen one in India.

Question is why is your 2 year old finding it difficult? I can understand if this comes about after sustained sitting (> 2 hours etc.), but why a few minutes? :-)

Given her size, she must be used to her legs dangling anywhere she sits!
She gets uncomfortable after 15 - 20 minutes and another 15 mins she don't want to sit in Child Seat. I had tried thermocol box or pillow to avoid dangling and she is comfortable even after an hour. We forget the same on our shorter trips.. so thought of going for some foot rest that can be fixed permanently.
Old 28th November 2012, 16:52   #358
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We forget the same on our shorter trips
Keep it in the car!

Just about everything I need in the car, I keep one of in the car. The only exception is the phone, which would be sill expensive and impractical to duplicate. I even keep the house keys clipped to the car key, because it's the only way I can be sure I haven't forgotten them <blush>

Just curious: where did your foot-rest picture come from? I wonder if there would be safety issues with that in case of an accident?

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 28th November 2012 at 16:53.
Old 28th November 2012, 17:23   #359
BHPian

^^ Got it from Amozon.com while searching in google.

http://www.amazon.com/One-Step-Ahead.../dp/B002YQQSJU
Old 28th November 2012, 17:34   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok_lat View Post
so thought of going for some foot rest that can be fixed permanently.
for short trips, my son has unfortunately (for the front passenger) found his footrest in the back of the front passenger seat. for longer trips, he uses a small cushion (the sample coir mattress) from one of the mattress shops. This is kept in the car itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Just curious: where did your foot-rest picture come from? I wonder if there would be safety issues with that in case of an accident?
I agree with this concern, in case of any impact this (or any metal/ plastic thingy) may be unsafe.
Can you lay your hands on an unused small bean bag or a plastic bag full of those thermocol beans?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks